Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #351
QuikSand
lolzcat

Tulsa's huge LB Zaven Collins is no longer a whisper, he's almost certainly going in the first round. Two weeks ago he was mocked around pick 50-80. Now maybe even around the middle of the first.

I love how this happens to a few guy every year.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #352
henry296
College Starter

He was in Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 2.0 in late February as a 1st rounder, so I wouldn't consider him a fast riser. Maybe he dropped for a little bit, but I also heard him as a possible Steelers 1st round pick early in the draft process.

NFL mock draft 2021: Mel Kiper's new predictions for all 32 first-round picks, including Mac Jones, Trey Lance and three trades
Old 04-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #353
Thomkal
Head Coach

For those of us without ESPN+ can you post Kiper's mock please Henry?
Old 04-28-2021, 10:55 AM   #354
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think CIN will take Chase due to the depth of OL, but if ATL takes Chase, Sewell goes at 5.

I mostly buy this. I now think the single most likely situation after 3xQB, is Pitts, Chase, and then Dolphins do something (WR Smith, T Sewell or trade out).

The most interesting wild card, I think, is the Falcons' cap situation, which is not good (unless they deal Julio Jones, which is the latest warm rumor). Barring that, they need to free up space, and adding picks this year to fill in for released veterans is one way to do it (and just dropping the cap hit for your top selection has value too). So, Atlanta dealing down from 4 to somewhere like 8 would still allow them to land a quality guy (Waddle?) and also pick up maybe two more legit draft picks as fill-in pieces. And they have one or two more pieces to tempt teams with for a trade-up... if someone desperately wants TE Pitts, frex, they are the team you have to call, most likely.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 PM   #355
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
For those of us without ESPN+ can you post Kiper's mock please Henry?

I just to source my assertion showing Kiper's mock from February is pointless. For Collins, the last one I saw was 28 to NO and has been rumored to the Browns at 24.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I mostly buy this. I now think the single most likely situation after 3xQB, is Pitts, Chase, and then Dolphins do something (WR Smith, T Sewell or trade out).

The most interesting wild card, I think, is the Falcons' cap situation, which is not good (unless they deal Julio Jones, which is the latest warm rumor). Barring that, they need to free up space, and adding picks this year to fill in for released veterans is one way to do it (and just dropping the cap hit for your top selection has value too). So, Atlanta dealing down from 4 to somewhere like 8 would still allow them to land a quality guy (Waddle?) and also pick up maybe two more legit draft picks as fill-in pieces. And they have one or two more pieces to tempt teams with for a trade-up... if someone desperately wants TE Pitts, frex, they are the team you have to call, most likely.

I feel like the Lions are almost in that exact same position, just one slot lower. If it is 3XQB, Pitts, Chase, Dolphins, I think the Lions are best served by trading down, if possible. They only have 6 picks in the draft and have needs everywhere. Sitting at 7 and having to choose between say - WR Smith, WR Waddle, T Sewell, T Slater, or LB Parsons - just isn't that exciting.

I think either tackle would make the most sense, but given that they just extended Taylor Decker, they'd be spending the 7th pick on a RT. If it's Sewell, given how young he is, he could switch to LT after Decker's current contract is over and would still only be 25. Having a solid O-Line would create a position group of strength. Goff badly needs protection to be effective and relies heavily on play action. So, if the Lions had a solid offensive line that could lead to a good run game with Swift and Jamaal Williams, that may make Goff not terrible.

All that being said, if Lance or Fields is still there at 7, I would not be sad if the Lions drafted either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #357
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I just to source my assertion showing Kiper's mock from February is pointless. For Collins, the last one I saw was 28 to NO and has been rumored to the Browns at 24.

And, also, to the Steelers
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #358
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
And, also, to the Steelers

Going into the draft with huge offensive needs and then taking a first round LB, that may not help this season, would be a very Steelers thing to do.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #359
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just read that there is a rumor that the Lions talked to Atlanta about trading up to #4 for in order to Draft Ja'Marr Chase, but the asking price was too high. If that rumor is true, that does not instill confidence in GM Brad Holmes. Ja'Marr Chase may be the best WR in this draft. He may be excellent, but giving up draft capital in order to draft a WR in the top 4 just does not sound like a sound, smart play.

Trading up is rarely a good value proposition, especially with a position like WR, unless you're talking a 100% sure thing like Calvin Johnson. It seems even more foolish when you only have 6 picks in the draft, have a ton of needs, don't look to be all that competitive, and the draft is pretty deep at WR.

Granted, this is just a rumor and might not be true, but if so... you're on notice, Brad Holmes.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #360
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Bridgewater to the Broncos for a 6th rounder.

That gives the Broncos a QB floor. It takes them from need-a-QB-this-draft to would-be-nice-to-get-a-QB-this draft.

Good play by them.

And, man, I thought Bridgewater was worth more than a 6th, but I am wondering if anyone other than Denver was knocking on Carolina's door.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #361
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Good get for Denver, happy with that. Gives them plenty of options in the draft.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #362
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
And, man, I thought Bridgewater was worth more than a 6th

I mean we're still waiting on Teddy Bridgewater to throw more than 15 touchdowns in a single season. In my mind he should consider himself lucky to still be in discussions about starting QBs.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #363
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Bridgewater to Denver.

Edit: apparently I'm slow.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-28-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #364
Galaril
Pro Starter

Also Minnesota is picking up 7 mill of his 10 mill salary so great deal for Denver. I am one of the few in Denver that thinks we should not draft another iffy first round QB being Denver has a terrible track record drafting QBs. I hope they trade back and get another 2nd and draft either a OT or a ILB . They can roll for one more year with Lock and Bridgewater.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #365
Ksyrup

I agree
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #366
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is Minnesota just doing that to be nice?
Old 04-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #367
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I'm a fan of Teddy's, happy I'll get to see him in Denver this season. With the defense they seem to be building and the offensive weapons I think he would do very well if he ends up the starter. And still very possible the Broncos draft a QB at 9
Old 04-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #368
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Rumors of the Patriots talking to the Falcons to move up to 4 to get Fields. I hate the Patriots, but I will laugh my ass off if they take Fields and make him an MVP after three other teams passed on him.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #369
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Rumors of the Patriots talking to the Falcons to move up to 4 to get Fields. I hate the Patriots, but I will laugh my ass off if they take Fields and make him an MVP after three other teams passed on him.

Better chance of the guy from Directional State doing it than Fields.

edit to add: And I think any GM who takes that guy in the top half of the 1st round just bought himself a ticket to the unemployment line.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-28-2021 at 04:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:35 PM   #370
Edward64
Head Coach

I do hope Lawrence does well in his pro career. There are so many great college QBs that are just mediocre or worse.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #371
GrantDawg

I am sure Belichick is worried about his job security.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #372
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am sure Belichick is worried about his job security.

I was talking about Lance (that's the guy, I think), not Fields.

Fields will just bust. Lance will get somebody fired if he's drafted too early.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #373
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Again, why are we going to trade up when seemingly every potential QB drafting team is adding a guy and making it more likely one or even both fall to 15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Yeah I've seen him in the mix on mocks for the Patriots that don't have them picking a QB - even before Mac Jones started getting his helium.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #374
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I mean we're still waiting on Teddy Bridgewater to throw more than 15 touchdowns in a single season. In my mind he should consider himself lucky to still be in discussions about starting QBs.

Bridgewater just doesn't give you enough in today's NFL. He could have won in years past playing the Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer role, but those guys are not winning in today's NFL.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #375
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Again, why are we going to trade up when seemingly every potential QB drafting team is adding a guy and making it more likely one or even both fall to 15?
Because another team can trade up and take the guy you want. The Falcons are willing to move, and they are not the only team willing to move down before you get to 15.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:29 AM   #376
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Bridgewater just doesn't give you enough in today's NFL. He could have won in years past playing the Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer role, but those guys are not winning in today's NFL.

Agreed. Bridgewater was picked up as a vet backup for either Lock or whoever they draft tonight.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #377
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Agreed. Bridgewater was picked up as a vet backup for either Lock or whoever they draft tonight.

Yup, I can't imagine they're content with Bridgewater. I think this probably takes them trading UP out of the equation, but I still think a QB at 9 (whichever of Fields or Lance is still available) is the play.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #378
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
...you're on notice, Brad Holmes.

love the notion that the Lions decided this week that they might benefit from having a promising young WR on the roster
Old 04-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #379
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another later riser is CB Eric Stokes from UGA. For teams that run a lot of zone schemes, he sounds like "an NFL frame and skillset," which is what a lot of teams go for, rather than a bunch of good tape. Another guy who was being mocked in the 50-80 range a couple of weeks ago, and now is very much in play for late-ish tonight, like to Tennessee, New Orleans, or Buffalo.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #380
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
love the notion that the Lions decided this week that they might benefit from having a promising young WR on the roster

I will add that my go-to authority figure on the Lions disabused me of the notion that tagging Golladay and then dealing him for something was the right move. I just assume he's more informed than I am, but I would have felt awfully secure in the thought that the Giants or someone would part with, at least, a second round pick to get him.

Anyway, the way the team seemed to just say "we're rebuilding, what do we do with a guy like Kenny Golladay?" seemed lol worthy.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #381
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They let Marvin Jones walk too. And then responded by signing 8 different dudes that were the WR6 'streakers' on their previous teams.

I kinda almost understand not wanting to sign Kenny Golladay to a top contract after his injury history, but that doesn't answer for why they didn't lock him up long before those became the conditions. Finding a stud WR in the third round is exactly the kind of thing that makes good organizations, and having absolutely nothing to show for it 5 years later is an obvious failure.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #382
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I will add that my go-to authority figure on the Lions disabused me of the notion that tagging Golladay and then dealing him for something was the right move. I just assume he's more informed than I am, but I would have felt awfully secure in the thought that the Giants or someone would part with, at least, a second round pick to get him.

Anyway, the way the team seemed to just say "we're rebuilding, what do we do with a guy like Kenny Golladay?" seemed lol worthy.

It's never been adequately explained. The few times it's been raised, they just seemed to shrug their shoulders and say, "a tag and trade is hard and complicated" and that was that.

Maybe because it requires having another team in the mix and, to date, if that team isn't the Los Angeles Rams (see, e.g., Stafford & Brockers), Brad Holmes doesn't seem to understand how to make a deal with them? It's a very small sample size, so I am not about to claim that Holmes is to the Rams as Quinn was to the Patriots, but it's not not a thing.

It's definitely lol worthy or, to use the local parlance, SOL (Same Old Lions) worthy. There has yet to have been a general manager and head coach of this franchise in my lifetime (47 years) that has not been Lionized at some point. It's sad, ugly thing. Can Holmes and Campbell escape that fate? Not likely. Probably? But not likely.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #383
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am not about to claim that Holmes is to the Rams as Quinn was to the Patriots, but it's not not a thing.

The Lions also have Spielman acting as some kind of football whisperer & brought on John Dorsey specifically as a 'senior personnel executive' so it's tough to blame it all on Holmes or his inexperience. For whatever reason, all the folks in that building agreed to let Golladay walk for absolutely nothing in return.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-29-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #384
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Am I the only one who looks at Zach Wilson and sees Heath Shuler?

edited: fuck

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 04-29-2021 at 02:06 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #385
rjolley
College Starter

I've seen multiple reports that the Bears are going to try and move into the top 10 to get one of the Five. I hope they don't and seriously consider trading back from 20 to get some extra draft capital. It's not that I don't think Fields or Jones will be solid QBs, I don't think the cost of moving up that far will be worth it.

I'd rather see them get a OL, WR, or DB and use the second round pick for one of the next set of QBs. Seems like the better way to build a team nt only for this year, but for the near future.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #386
GrantDawg

Quote:
Another later riser is CB Eric Stokes from UGA. For teams that run a lot of zone schemes, he sounds like "an NFL frame and skillset," which is what a lot of teams go for, rather than a bunch of good tape. Another guy who was being mocked in the 50-80 range a couple of weeks ago, and now is very much in play for late-ish tonight, like to Tennessee, New Orleans, or Buffalo.
He is local kid, and a baller. He is going to be a great pick up for someone.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #387
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Report: 49ers offered No. 3 overall pick, plus more, for Aaron Rodgers - ProFootballTalk
Old 04-29-2021, 01:14 PM   #388
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There have been a lot of "you don't trade up to #3 unless you know who you are taking" takes.

I think that SF traded up to #3 with no real idea of who they were planning to take.
Old 04-29-2021, 01:19 PM   #389
GrantDawg

Old 04-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #390
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Am I the only one who looks at Tyler Wilson and sees Heath Shuler?

Raiders 2013 4th round pick Tyler Wilson?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #391
JPhillips
General Manager

The perfect ending to this is the 49ers trade for Rodgers and then he retires to host Jeopardy!
Old 04-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #392
Ksyrup

Tim Tebow's ability to make headlines is amazing.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #393
QuikSand
lolzcat

i love draft day

GET ME A FUCKEN WEAPON YOU GD PINHEADS
Old 04-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #394
larrymcg421
Head Coach

To be fair, there's probably no way the Packers would have made the NFC championship without Jordan Love.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #395
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
There have been a lot of "you don't trade up to #3 unless you know who you are taking" takes.

I think that SF traded up to #3 with no real idea of who they were planning to take.

I agree with this about 80% of the way. I now buy the going storyline that Shanahan was sold enough specifically on Mac Jones to deal up and remove all doubt... and only since then has this gotten so complicated. The Rodgers rumor is delicious to add to the mix, but I just feel like they went to Lance's second workout and ended up saying heyyyyy legitimately. I also buy the theory that Shanahan doesn't want Fields, who would play outside of the Shanahan structure too frequently, and that's not the goal there.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #396
bob
College Starter

Quote:

Can't help but think SF would have had better chances offering them #12 and the future firsts they traded for #3
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #397
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
you dun goofed on A-A-ron, Green Bay
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #398
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow, this has legs a bit...

Old 04-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #399
Ksyrup

As a Broncos fan, I am not going to get my hopes up. But damn, if this is more than Rodgers posturing, you gotta get it done.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:10 PM   #400
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thinking the same thing. Nearly no limit if I'm Denver specifically. They'd be ready.