Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #6451
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I found it really fun, but I suck t it. It's definitely very different than anything else I have played.

Watched a review. They said it starts off fun, but then becomes extremely grindy with repetitive unskippable cut scenes. What is your take?
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #6452
thealmighty
Pro Starter

PGA Tour 2k21 is 50% off at 29.99 for another 21+ hours if anyone wish-listed or is interested. I took the plunge but haven't looked at it yet.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #6453
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Watched a review. They said it starts off fun, but then becomes extremely grindy with repetitive unskippable cut scenes. What is your take?

I never got past the first area, so I don't know. I was terrible at the timing for dodging necessary to survive early combat. I could see it happening though.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:21 AM   #6454
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Awesome Jon, hope it works for you. Let us know here if it did.

Well it definitely works, that much I've proven to my satisfaction. How well it'll work under different conditions, still TBD.

The free version feels pretty hamstrung to me: limited to one hour sessions and in my first test tonight, the queue to get on to try CK3 as a test was 18 minutes. I can't imagine trying to play anything I'd play in 60 min (minus load times) increments, then break for 15-20 mins, resume, repeat.

That said, I'm only dallying with the free version enough to kinda explore the concept, and that so far has been fine. I do want to try it at different times of day, weekends vs weekdays, etc. before biting off on a monthly or 6 month subscription. The short test found the game running fine as far as I could tell, the one downside being that the graphics were a little blurry, which would be death on the eyes for any of the text-heavy titles. But I'll need to play with resolutions, settings (in-game and out), etc to see if I can clear that up.

The games currently available are kinda all over the place. Things I can't run with my rig that would be opened up included CK3, EU4, and HOI4. Rimworld and Surviving Mars are both on the available list too.

For some idea of there/not there: those are there, Kenshi is there, Don't Starve is there but no Battle Brothers, no Fallout titles, no Sid Meier titles,no X-Com titles. Also I noticed several games that were available but only if you had specific editions of the game.

My advice for anyone else interested in this would be don't assume a game is/isn't there. Figure out what you wish was there and scroll through their list. There's surprises in both yes and no directions.

I was at least this encouraged though: I caught HOI4 on a flash sale for $10 and bought it tonight, so that's a sign that I'm {gulp} somewhat optimistic I suppose.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #6455
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good news Jon, glad it seems to be working out. I have yet to have any big delays getting into No Man's Sky with it thankfully. You get Priority queueing when you pay for it so that probably will help there.

I do get some lag with it from time to time, but I haven't fiddled with the graphics settings yet to see if it helps or not. I would second your advice to make sure you check the list of available games before investing in it, and giving the free version a whirl first to see if it works for you.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #6456
Thomkal
Head Coach

The YogsCast Jingle Jam has started their month long charity stream today. Donate whatever the equivalent of 25 pounds in dollars is and get about 35 steam keys. List of games available and places you can donate to are listed here:

Tiltify - Livestream Fundraising

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #6457
Thomkal
Head Coach

Humble Bundle has a space Explore bundle, with Galactic CIvilizations 3 and a few DLCs and on the top tier for $10 Stellaris. Just the base game, an enovel and wallpaper-no DLC's.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #6458
Thomkal
Head Coach

Phoenix Point has now released on Steam and is currently 50% off or $30.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:07 PM   #6459
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw update ... I was encouraged enough by some dabbling with GeForce Now that I plunked down $5 for a month to expand my testing.

It's not without some issues, tho not necessarily (or even likely) Nvidia's fault. I quickly learned that daytime internet in Athens probably isn't stable enough to play during weekdays. Connection would drop (intermittent outtages are routine around here) and the game would just shut down, apparently Nvidia has an extremely low tolerance for that, a minute or less.

My first truly extended session was overnight last night and it was pretty much without issue. The need to disconnect and reconnect when doing close/reopen to tweak video settings was a little frustrating but I didn't have any issues doing so. And toward the end of the session there was some anxiety caused by knowing the 6-hour (paid version) session timer was ticking.

But pending my internet's ability to handle it, this might truly be a significant find.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #6460
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Phoenix Point has now released on Steam and is currently 50% off or $30.

The game is super fun. I really enjoyed! I got super into it, but then stopped because updates were making some significant changes to the game. I decided to wait until the game got further along to dive back in. I think that time is now!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #6461
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
fwiw update ... I was encouraged enough by some dabbling with GeForce Now that I plunked down $5 for a month to expand my testing.

It's not without some issues, tho not necessarily (or even likely) Nvidia's fault. I quickly learned that daytime internet in Athens probably isn't stable enough to play during weekdays. Connection would drop (intermittent outtages are routine around here) and the game would just shut down, apparently Nvidia has an extremely low tolerance for that, a minute or less.

My first truly extended session was overnight last night and it was pretty much without issue. The need to disconnect and reconnect when doing close/reopen to tweak video settings was a little frustrating but I didn't have any issues doing so. And toward the end of the session there was some anxiety caused by knowing the 6-hour (paid version) session timer was ticking.

But pending my internet's ability to handle it, this might truly be a significant find.

Woot! glad to hear it Jon! (Now to get back to No Man's Sky)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #6462
Thomkal
Head Coach

Seven: Enhanced Edition is now available for free on Humble Games.

NOTE: This one activates on Gog.com, so you may have to link your accounts before claiming
Old 12-09-2020, 01:27 PM   #6463
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Anyone tried the free to play game gridiron on steam? 14 player 7v7 football where each player controls a single player obviously? I'm having a lot of fun with it despite it being early access.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #6464
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
Anyone tried the free to play game gridiron on steam? 14 player 7v7 football where each player controls a single player obviously? I'm having a lot of fun with it despite it being early access.

Not heard of it, will have to check it out
Old 12-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #6465
Thomkal
Head Coach

Age of Wonders: PlanetFall-Premium Edition is on sale at Indie Gala for $13.50 normally $90. Contains 3 DLC's, the Season Pass, and other goodies such as a digital artbook. They have less than 500 copies so grab it now if on your wishlist

Most other Paradox games/DLC's on sale too

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-14-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #6466
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Most other Paradox games/DLC's on sale too

Sweet! I had been waiting on sales for the Stellaris DLC's.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-14-2020 at 02:46 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #6467
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Sweet! I had been waiting on sales for the Stellaris DLC's.

Yeah I keep hoping Humble Bundle will have a Stellaris DLC Bundle someday.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #6468
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of football, has anyone tried Legend Bowl?

Getting strong "vertical Tecmo Bowl" from the videos I've seen

Legend Bowl on Steam
Old 12-16-2020, 01:13 PM   #6469
Thomkal
Head Coach

Prison Architect free to claim the next few days at Gog.com. Stay tuned here the Epic 15 days of free games starting tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #6470
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Prison Architect free to claim the next few days at Gog.com. Stay tuned here the Epic 15 days of free games starting tomorrow.

Keep us posted!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #6471
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

If you don't have prison architect, you need to pick this up. Super addictive game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #6472
Thomkal
Head Coach

Brigador: Up-Armored Deluxe is free at GoG.com through Xmas
Old 12-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #6473
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I really liked the idea of Prison Architect and got into for a while, but the limited moddability combined with what IMO are some non-trivial balance issues made it a short stay for me.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #6474
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't think of the guy's name atm, Will watches him frequently & I end up seeing/hearing it when he's home. But the YouTuber who goes out of his way to break games (via exploits) has pretty much killed any interest I'd ever have in any of the "tycoon" type games. As far as I can tell they're all pretty much broken.

I mean, I know the YouTuber is trying to break them & illustrates with absurd examples but most of the stuff I've seen doesn't start with anything that couldn't come up in regular gameplay (often just through rookie mistakes).
Old 12-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #6475
Thomkal
Head Coach

If you are an email subscriber (and/or) purchased something from Fanatical recently, check your email for a Secret Santa gift-a free game. I have no idea what other games you might get, but nothing says XMas like a Zombie Derby: Pixel Survival, am I right? You also get a $5 off coupon on your next order, which is in more of the Christmas spirit.

Curious what game you got if you got the secret santa from them
Old 12-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #6476
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't think of the guy's name atm, Will watches him frequently & I end up seeing/hearing it when he's home. But the YouTuber who goes out of his way to break games (via exploits) has pretty much killed any interest I'd ever have in any of the "tycoon" type games. As far as I can tell they're all pretty much broken.

I mean, I know the YouTuber is trying to break them & illustrates with absurd examples but most of the stuff I've seen doesn't start with anything that couldn't come up in regular gameplay (often just through rookie mistakes).

The Spiffing Brit? He's a member of the Yogscast now. Pretty crazy that companies pay him to find exploits?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #6477
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Spiffing Brit? He's a member of the Yogscast now. Pretty crazy that companies pay him to find exploits?

Yeah, that's the one. I just went blank, was coming up with names of other Brit 'casters and knew those weren't right.

He's entertaining and all, I just know that I'd be the guy to stumble onto one of the absurdities by accident and then would never touch the game again, so I just keep my money in my wallet on those.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #6478
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, that's the one. I just went blank, was coming up with names of other Brit 'casters and knew those weren't right.

He's entertaining and all, I just know that I'd be the guy to stumble onto one of the absurdities by accident and then would never touch the game again, so I just keep my money in my wallet on those.

He's covered a lot of the big games out there, like Stellaris, Civ, Skyrim etc, so pretty soon you'd be playing no games
Old 12-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #6479
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's covered a lot of the big games out there, like Stellaris, Civ, Skyrim etc, so pretty soon you'd be playing no games

I'm well aware lol.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #6480
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's what mass-market does to games. Exploits increase exponentially with any increase in feature set, it's unavoidable, and people always want more bells and whistles added. Meanwhile there are all manner of serious strategy games out there not necessarily geared in that direction ... but they're mostly indie efforts not played by that many people. When you market to 'casual' gamers - and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, mind - there are certain consequences to that activity.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #6481
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I haven't seen anyone talking about Oxygen Not Included. It's a little older, but I just picked it up on sale, and am really enjoying it. It's got a little bit of a Rimworld feel to it, but more focused on survival against the elements instead of combat.

My first attempt at a colony, when I had no idea what I was doing, was a short experiment (AKA disaster) where my dupes (colonists) ended up peeing in my water supply early on, and it devolved from there. My second attempt wasn't much better as I ran out of oxygen and everyone started dying off.

However, my third attempt was glorious, at least initially. I had farms, ranches, plenty of food, plenty of oxygen, my research was going fantastic. I had advanced plumbing and ventilation systems. Then I noticed my crops were all dying. What I neglected to plan for was the rise of temperature in my colony, and it was spiraling out of control.

I can't wait to see how I screw up my fourth attempt.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #6482
Thomkal
Head Coach

Metro: Last Light is free to claim at GoG.com for the next 48 hours or so,
Old 12-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #6483
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I think it's time to admit that my desire to buy the latest & greatest of video games (typically RPG/Strategy related) doesn't match my capacity to actually fire it up and spend the time learning all the intricacies necessary. While I've never been a Min/Maxer, I do like to have some idea of what I'm doing.

Most recently, I purchased Crusader Kings 3. After watching videos and reviews all clearly saying although it is still a complicated grand strategy game (typical of Paradox), this had a much improved tutorial and was an ideal jumping onboard process. Working thru the Tutorial scenario, I found myself asking what have I gotten myself in to. Even with all of the screens and tooltips, I still feel there is just SO much to comprehend. I suspect this is the same with other recent titles (Shadow Empire is another example).

So then I think maybe I should jump back into an Action RPG (I'm looking at you Path of Exile). At least there, I can grasp the systems and progress. And jump in & out when time is available without having to re-learn everything again. Or re-download Elder Scrolls - Skyrim.

But I'd love to hear any suggestions on single-player RPGs where it doesn't take me as long to learn how to play than to actually play the game...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:04 PM   #6484
Thomkal
Head Coach

Here's an "oldie" for you. Thief is on sale at Fanatical for $2.79. Lasts 24 hours or until supplies last.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #6485
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Here's an "oldie" for you. Thief is on sale at Fanatical for $2.79. Lasts 24 hours or until supplies last.

that isn't the oldie but goodie...it's the shitty reboot
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #6486
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
So then I think maybe I should jump back into an Action RPG (I'm looking at you Path of Exile). At least there, I can grasp the systems and progress. And jump in & out when time is available without having to re-learn everything again. Or re-download Elder Scrolls - Skyrim.

But I'd love to hear any suggestions on single-player RPGs where it doesn't take me as long to learn how to play than to actually play the game...

My suggestion is FO76. I've actually not played it for 2-3 months now (got burned out) but they are starting to add NPCs with their DLCs, and has improved quite a bit IMO.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #6487
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
that isn't the oldie but goodie...it's the shitty reboot

Ah maybe that's why its $3.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:55 AM   #6488
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Ah maybe that's why its $3.

I mean Thief the Dark Project/Thief Gold often goes on sale for 3 bucks anyway. But just making sure people knew that.

and uh...I was so drunk last night I bought it :P
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #6489
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I mean Thief the Dark Project/Thief Gold often goes on sale for 3 bucks anyway. But just making sure people knew that.

and uh...I was so drunk last night I bought it :P

You should stay away from this thread when you are drunk
Old 01-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #6490
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Desperados III is 50% off, time to dig into this one.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #6491
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
I haven't seen anyone talking about Oxygen Not Included. It's a little older, but I just picked it up on sale, and am really enjoying it. It's got a little bit of a Rimworld feel to it, but more focused on survival against the elements instead of combat.

My first attempt at a colony, when I had no idea what I was doing, was a short experiment (AKA disaster) where my dupes (colonists) ended up peeing in my water supply early on, and it devolved from there. My second attempt wasn't much better as I ran out of oxygen and everyone started dying off.

However, my third attempt was glorious, at least initially. I had farms, ranches, plenty of food, plenty of oxygen, my research was going fantastic. I had advanced plumbing and ventilation systems. Then I noticed my crops were all dying. What I neglected to plan for was the rise of temperature in my colony, and it was spiraling out of control.

I can't wait to see how I screw up my fourth attempt.

I've killed my fair share of dupes. I've gotten reliably through the early game into the mid game on my third try. I'm in good shape but just realized that I've used up all of my copper. Who knew that only occurred in your starting biome? My base is a bit sprawling and disorganized but I think I'm looking good to take it into the late game. Now to figure out steel. Ok maybe I still have some mid game to navigate.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #6492
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think this might be the lowest price I have seen for Death Stranding-$24 for the next 24 hours at Fanatical
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #6493
tarcone
Coordinator

Democracy 4 early access available.

Id it worth it from anyone playing 3?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #6494
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Does anyone have a license for F1 2020 they aren't using and would sell/trade/gift? I'd love to give this game a try this weekend.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #6495
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Does anyone have a license for F1 2020 they aren't using and would sell/trade/gift? I'd love to give this game a try this weekend.

Let me look and see. I have F1 2019, but don't see 2020 in my current list.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #6496
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Thank you for checking! I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else has it lying around.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #6497
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Thank you for checking! I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else has it lying around.

I looked and, unfortunately, I don't have F1 2020.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:28 PM   #6498
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Get back to your Lions CFM.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 AM   #6499
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Ha yeah I might. I dunno it's a love hate this year with Madden. I like more than I dislike, but still have things that just bother me.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #6500
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ha yeah I might. I dunno it's a love hate this year with Madden. I like more than I dislike, but still have things that just bother me.

We all do, it's Madden.. but NG has been so much fun.