Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #601
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think I've seen Steam Gift Cards at Best Buy.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #602
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Perfect - thanks spleen

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #603
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Perfect - thanks spleen

Sure. Just looked them up. They are called 'Valve - Steam Wallet Cards'.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #604
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Is there a way to purchase a gift certificate to Steam? I was on the site last night and I see you can gift games but didn't know if you could just purchase a certificate voucher for someone...

I think you can at Gamestop.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #605
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

You can buy them, but they tend to make poor gifts. Rather than a card, you end up with a receipt that has a long number at the bottom. They then use the number on the receipt to add the funds to their Steam account.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #606
markprior22
High School Varsity

They have Steam gift cards at Best Buy. 20, 50 and 100 dollars. Back in the gaming dept.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #607
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perfect - thanks spleen

maybe at Giant Eagle too for some fuel perks(dunno if that reaches to where you live though)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #608
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Yeah- never thought of Giant Eagle perks . I'll check there first...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #609
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
They have Steam gift cards at Best Buy. 20, 50 and 100 dollars. Back in the gaming dept.

Yea, but unless something has happened since the middle of November when I bought one, they keep the card and you get a code on a receipt.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #610
mckerney
Coordinator

Team Fortress 2

The Steam Market has gone into beta, currently letting you to buy and sell a limited selection of TF2 items for Steam Wallet money.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #611
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Is anyone following the War Z debacle on Steam? Game came out yesterday(was a suprise to people?) It quickly hit #1 on Steam. People quickly complained that the feature list on Steam is absolutely wrong. It lists features and other things, including RPG elements, that it simply doesn't deliver. Steam pulls the game from sell and offers refunds. The dev quickly does an interview justifying the features, or lackthereof.

Link on IGN explaining the situation:

hxxp://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/19/the-war-z-released-on-steam

Link to the interview with the dev

hxxp://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #612
spleen1015
Coordinator

I haven't heard of War Z before. It sounds some what interesting. I want to buy it.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #613
mckerney
Coordinator

The Bore Z

A note on something seen in the video, yesterday the devs released a patch upping respawn time to 4 hours from one while putting in an option to pay to respawn sooner.

Everything I'd heard about the game even before this made it sound terrible too.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #614
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I haven't heard of War Z before. It sounds some what interesting. I want to buy it.

Wait for Day Z (the far superior ARMA II mod) to be released as a standalone game by all accounts.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #615
whomario
Pro Starter

Wait, isn´t Day Z tomorrow ? As in: Holiday Sale. Tomorrow.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 12-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #616
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The Bore Z

A note on something seen in the video, yesterday the devs released a patch upping respawn time to 4 hours from one while putting in an option to pay to respawn sooner.

Everything I'd heard about the game even before this made it sound terrible too.

Video was great. What a nightmare.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #617
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the vid. That was awesome to watch.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #618
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

When is the Steam christmas sale?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #619
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
When is the Steam christmas sale?

Probably kicks off between 9-noon pacific.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #620
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Was hoping they would be doing the daily achievements like they did last year. That was fun.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #621
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sale has been all day for me

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #622
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Was hoping they would be doing the daily achievements like they did last year. That was fun.

Was ruined by people creating extra steam accounts to farm coal and exploit the system last year from what I've read.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-21-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #623
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Was ruined by people creating extra steam accounts to farm coal and exploit the system last year from what I've read.

Yeah, combined with 1 cent Humble Bundle keys.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #624
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I broke down and got the THQ bundle for $24.99.

Company of Heroes, Warhammer DOW2, Titan Quest, Saints Row 2 and 3, Supreme Commander and a shitload of other games.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18778/

Damnit. I probably won't even play any of these games soon.

But, it's still pretty good value for only $25.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 12-21-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #625
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I broke down and got the THQ bundle for $24.99.

Company of Heroes, Warhammer DOW2, Titan Quest, Saints Row 2 and 3, Supreme Commander and a shitload of other games.

Save 50% on THQ Collection on Steam

Damnit. I probably won't even play any of these games soon.

But, it's still pretty good value for only $25.

That is a hell of a deal for sure.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #626
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I loved the Winter Sale last year but count me among those bummed by the lack of 'festivities' in this years version. Don't get me wrong, the sales are great, but I had a lot of fun with the in-game achievements last year. I understand that people abused the coal, but I think they could have done the achievement thing anyways and maybe just had the reward be badges or maybe non-tradeable in-game items or something. That still would have been a tonne of fun.

A co-worker of mine speculated that Valve is just too busy with Dota 2 to spend much effort on the sales this year, and he could be right, I suppose.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #627
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I loved the Winter Sale last year but count me among those bummed by the lack of 'festivities' in this years version. Don't get me wrong, the sales are great, but I had a lot of fun with the in-game achievements last year. I understand that people abused the coal, but I think they could have done the achievement thing anyways and maybe just had the reward be badges or maybe non-tradeable in-game items or something. That still would have been a tonne of fun.

Yeah, I'd hope there was something at least like the summer sale last year where you could get tickets and trade them in for games, DLC or in game items.

Quote:
A co-worker of mine speculated that Valve is just too busy with Dota 2 to spend much effort on the sales this year, and he could be right, I suppose.

I doubt that's it, completely different teams and Valve doesn't really throw more people at something to get it done faster. Plus if they are throwing a bunch of people at it why have they not released Medusa instead of putting heroes out at a snails pace.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #628
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I doubt that's it, completely different teams and Valve doesn't really throw more people at something to get it done faster. Plus if they are throwing a bunch of people at it why have they not released Medusa instead of putting heroes out at a snails pace.

I thought at Valve you basically get to work on whatever you want? So the idea being that people would rather put their effort into Dota improvements (a game they probably play) than sales-related stuff. I could be way off, though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #629
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I thought at Valve you basically get to work on whatever you want? So the idea being that people would rather put their effort into Dota improvements (a game they probably play) than sales-related stuff. I could be way off, though.

Mostly, though I think there is some organization within the groups working on specific projects. I know in Michael Abrash's blog he said he was going to work on finishing Portal 2 but was to they had enough people and he should try to find something else.

EDIT: If the reason there's no Christmas event is because of working on something else it'd probably be thing the Steam team would be working on like Greenlight, Marketplace, the Community update and Big Picture.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-22-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #630
mckerney
Coordinator

In the absence of an event to go along with the sale I am excited to have made one whole American dollar in my Steam wallet selling items from Dota's Christmas event though the marketplace.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #631
whomario
Pro Starter

Just bought "Camera Bag 2", really easy to use (yet still deep in options) program, tons of predetermined filters and effects to play around with.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #632
Radii
Head Coach

Walking Dead up to 50% off now, that's good enough for me, all 5 episodes for $12.49.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #633
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Walking Dead up to 50% off now, that's good enough for me, all 5 episodes for $12.49.

How does Walking Dead play on PC vs. console? Any better/worse?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #634
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

This'll be my first time playing it on either, dunno! Lots of people have talked it up in the past though, hopefully someone knows.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #635
Critch
lolzcat

I havent been overly impressed by the steam sale so far, but I've still spent too much on the Warhammer 40k complete, The Secret World, and now Walking Dead.

Not sure I like The Secret World after an hour.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #636
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Hadn't heard of any performance issues on either system, PC will let you play with either mouse and keyboard or a controller. Basically just comes down to whichever system you prefer playing it on.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #637
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Is either Blood Bowl or Dungeon BOwl any good? I have seen fairly bad reviews of both.
Blood bowl looks better actually. At least it's like the original and has football in mind. But keep hearing it's hard to figure out how to play it.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #638
Groundhog
Coordinator

Dungeon Bowl is god awful IMO, although I shut it down after 15 mins and never tried it again. Blood Bowl is fun to mess around with in single player for a time but... yeah... fumbbl.com
Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #639
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Is either Blood Bowl or Dungeon BOwl any good? I have seen fairly bad reviews of both.
Blood bowl looks better actually. At least it's like the original and has football in mind. But keep hearing it's hard to figure out how to play it.

Blood Bowl is great, so long as you're playing against other people. The single player game is pretty awful as a result of a horrible AI.

That said, you can play against the AI to learn the basics and move on from there. As awful as the single player mode is, I have played a lot of Blood Bowl. Worth a cheap investment.

Avoid Dungeon Bowl. Horrible.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #640
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I remember playing the 90s version of Bloodbowl. Was totally fun! was even more grid like. Loved playing the dwarves and just killing everybody on the halfling side

Wondered if this was like it or better or worse. I have no desire to play multiplayer really.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #641
Groundhog
Coordinator

IMO the 90s DOS version you are speaking about had more challenging AI than the latest one! We ran an offline multiplayer league using that title actually back in the day... great times.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #642
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Eh. Blood Bowl is worth $16 or so with the not-so-good AI, it shines in multiplayer but at least it's Blood Bowl
Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #643
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not sure I like The Secret World after an hour.

What's not clicking for you? I bought it a week or so ago. I'm thrilled to be playing a non-fantasy MMO. Not sure I love the Mayan Zombie event underway, but appreciate the early questing so far.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #644
Critch
lolzcat

Obviously I havent given it a lot of time yet, but it feels a bit clunky and I had my first crash to desktop after about an hour. Also I'm playing with no sound, but the tutorial videos that pop up in place of a proper tutorial dont have subtitles so i'm playing a bit blind.

But I'll give it more of a chance.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #645
ozias
High School JV

Any comments about Dead Island?

I've thought about buying this one, and now it's only 6.79, is it worth it?

Good game or pass?
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #646
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Eh. Blood Bowl is worth $16 or so with the not-so-good AI, it shines in multiplayer but at least it's Blood Bowl

Was considering buying this as well. Prices are dirt cheap. Actually bought this for my father as part of xmas so I'll try it at his place first.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #647
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
Any comments about Dead Island?

I've thought about buying this one, and now it's only 6.79, is it worth it?

Good game or pass?

I enjoyed it. It isn't an instant classic, but it is a good time.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #648
Qrusher14242
High School JV

not a daily deal, but Zeno Clash is $1 for this sale

Kinda weird first person fighting/action game. Might have to check out the videos to see if you'll like it heh
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #649
Icy
Pro Starter

Ended buying Walking dead and Anno 2070.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #650
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Bought Anno 2070 as well. Looks impressive.