Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #7501
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I watch it once a year while I am summering in Nantucket. Ads to the authenticity.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #7502
Kodos
Resident Alien

It’s one of the most rewatchable movies around.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:08 PM   #7503
Edward64
Head Coach

Alien Prometheus - 8.5/10

Re-watched Prometheus tonight (and will be re-watching Covenant also). I searched this thread and although I commented on it, I never rated it. I'm giving it one of my higher ratings.

As Honolulu Blue said, there are holes in the plot/consistency, and definitely a lack of basic quarantine control that any sci-fi fan would know. I'm okay with that. I'm more annoyed about the "why do they want to exterminate us" question left unanswered (and know it's not answered in Covenant either). After 10 years since Prometheus (and 5 years since Covenant), it's a long time to leave us hanging.

But the special effects, the overall plot, origins of the xenomorph, the questions posed etc. all fantastic.

I've read there will be a 3rd movie but read conflicting stuff. It may be between Prometheus & Covenant. It may not be part of this current series. Whatever, let's get more movies made!
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #7504
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was on a long plane flight with limited sleep so I might be a bit loopy about these, but I'll take a stab.

First, I watched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, the slightly pretentious but quite hammy and absurd action comedy drama about Nic Cage playing himself but undercover as a CIA spy opposite an equally good Pedro Pascal. I may have been tired but I laughed a lot. Cage and Pascal's buddy comedy drama really works and there's enough plot to keep things moving, even as it self references itself a lot. It's very metafictional, which is getting to be overdone, but this is still done pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin90 View Post
Everything Everywhere All At Once. My god, they truly don't make movies like this anymore. Has to be the most creative usage of the concept of the multiverse I've ever seen, and man was it refreshing to see a movie so unapologetically goofy and over the top. Really tugged at the heartstrings at the end there too.

Easy 10/10 for me.

I like that it took chances with combining a multiverse scifi that's been done (the Russo brothers of MCU fame were producers if I read that right in the credits) and grafts an uplifting family drama onto it - it worked really well. Also, The five leads are all good to great (Yeoh was brilliant). The emotional punch is really good with a positive anti-nihilist message that's hard to get right in the current zeitgeist.

But damn if it didn't need some editing - it was drug down by some worn plot points (every Asian mother-daughter drama ever), some plots that didn't land (Raccoon-y was just a long way to payoff a bad joke from earlier in the movie), and some really off the wall and distracting humor (bits had to be pixellated on the plane for crude sexual joxes). The other thing that got me is that it had a little of "The Good Place" problem - where if they came up against a really vexing moral quandary, they just hand waived it away (Evelyn breaking the multiverse) or made it so absurd as to suck some of the gravity out of it (everything/nothing bagel). Still, I'm writing a couple of paragraphs here so it did a lot more well than it did badly.

Finally, I went with the new Suicide Squad, the James Gunn one with Idris Elba. And, yeah, it was stylzed and lots of jokes, some stupid, which worked ok for how tired I was getting. Gunn grabbed a number of guest stars to work with him for cameos and a lot of characters died quickly. It was better than the previous one but still felt pretty dumb and empty calorie, even for a superhero movie. Dammit, just let Elba be the new Bond so he stops slumming it in movies like this or Pacific Rim or the bad Star Trek Fast and Furious movie.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:52 PM   #7505
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Alien Covenant - 7/10

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Liked the action but would have preferred more. Did the plot have holes (e.g. new world/first contact/quarantine procedures)? Sure, but I went to watch it as a fan for the past 30 years or so, and it didn't disappoint.

Re-watched Covenant and agree with my original assessment of 7/10. Not near as good as Prometheus (which had the original concept about our makers/Engineers) and still very tired of the stupid lack of basic quarantine procedures.

Give me some moar space marines!
Old 09-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #7506
PilotMan
Head Coach

Watched Thor:Love and Thunder, and it was unfairly skewered. It's a fun movie. It stands on it's own, it has a very different feel, but that doesn't make it bad. The people that are mad about it really must have a stick up their asses and take the entire MCU to seriously.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #7507
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Alien Prometheus - 8.5/10

Re-watched Prometheus tonight (and will be re-watching Covenant also). I searched this thread and although I commented on it, I never rated it. I'm giving it one of my higher ratings.

As Honolulu Blue said, there are holes in the plot/consistency, and definitely a lack of basic quarantine control that any sci-fi fan would know. I'm okay with that. I'm more annoyed about the "why do they want to exterminate us" question left unanswered (and know it's not answered in Covenant either). After 10 years since Prometheus (and 5 years since Covenant), it's a long time to leave us hanging.

But the special effects, the overall plot, origins of the xenomorph, the questions posed etc. all fantastic.

I've read there will be a 3rd movie but read conflicting stuff. It may be between Prometheus & Covenant. It may not be part of this current series. Whatever, let's get more movies made!

I definitely enjoyed Prometheus more the 2nd/3rd watch through than the first. I enjoy the setting and the cinematography enough that I can overlook some of the confusing/abstract stuff.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:05 AM   #7508
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Prometheus sucks balls!! Sorry, I've been trying to keep it in.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:39 AM   #7509
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

you're just mad because the giant octopus with the headpenis got you all hot
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:08 AM   #7510
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
still very tired of the stupid lack of basic quarantine procedures.

Reminds me of a very short review of Alien I found on twitter:

Quote:
"Alien is a movie where nobody listens to the smart woman, and then they all die except for the smart woman and her cat. Four stars."
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #7511
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Thank you; it really does.

Can't get over some really obvious choices made by characters.

Oh no, the ship is rolling! I should run along the very same path it's traveling on! Or I could just turn 90 degrees and take a few steps and just watch it roll right past!

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-21-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #7512
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It was free on Tubi last month, so I watched it a couple of weeks ago - for the first time since the original theatrical release.

If you can put aside the dated special effects (the shark brings a few seconds of unintentional comedy - Spielberg realizing this in filming and using the iconic theme music as much as possible instead of the visual to great effect), it's a fantastically paced thriller with a rather thin backstory. Still, they realized the novel was even thinner and removed the worst of it (the affair between the police chief's wife and the marine biologist) so that audiences wouldn't simply root for the shark.

For a brief time, until Star Wars, it was the biggest box-office movie of all-time. Pretty much pioneered the concept of the summer action blockbuster.

I think that is why he had the shark kill a kid (to keep you for rooting for the shark). Probably why it's scarier than the goofy slasher killers. He did pull any punches with that kill either probably one of the most heart wrenching moments.

From that point, the shark had to die (until it was revived for more movies).

Still one of the best films ever.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Last edited by Qwikshot : 09-21-2022 at 09:21 AM. Reason: To pinpoint reason you couldn't root for shark
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #7513
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm more annoyed about the "why do they want to exterminate us" question left unanswered (and know it's not answered in Covenant either). After 10 years since Prometheus (and 5 years since Covenant), it's a long time to leave us hanging.

Did some googling and one theory, supposedly based on orig script (which was obviously revised), the idea was Engineers were PO'd about Jesus. He was someone the Engineers took, trained, did whatever, and return him to Earth only to be whacked off. Glad they left it off.

Another theory is there are 2 sets of Engineers. One of them are like the crazies who want to kill us off.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:39 PM   #7514
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Do Revenge- 5/10 Ok teen movie that felt like they cut pieces of every girl driven teen movie made since Clueless and paste them together.

Vengance- 9.5/10 Wow. Wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did. BJ Novak did a great job writing, directing and staring in what I found to be a funny and surprising film.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #7515
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Characters making stupid decisions that are also out of character (as opposed to stupid decisions that are in character, which is fine) is now the #1 reason why I stop watching a movie or TV show, surpassing an inability to suspend belief (over, say, gutting the laws of physics).
Old 09-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #7516
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Characters making stupid decisions that are also out of character (as opposed to stupid decisions that are in character, which is fine) is now the #1 reason why I stop watching a movie or TV show, surpassing an inability to suspend belief (over, say, gutting the laws of physics).
This. I would add that any character decisions -- stupid or not -- that have no reasoning or prerequisite to elicit that character's behavior also bugs the hell out of me. To me it's lazy writing that may advance the story but feels unsatisfying.

Last edited by weegeebored : 09-24-2022 at 12:09 PM.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #7517
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Could not agree more.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:13 PM   #7518
sabotai
General Manager

Same, although I do give the novel/movie/tv series some time to explain seemingly inconsistent actions from the characters, "plot leading the characters" and not the other way around is one of my biggest annoyances.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #7519
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Bullet Train 8/10

Definitely a fun summer popcorn movie. Fun characters, fun action scenes, and some tight writing for an action movie. Good sense of humor as well.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #7520
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Bullet Train 8/10

Definitely a fun summer popcorn movie. Fun characters, fun action scenes, and some tight writing for an action movie. Good sense of humor as well.

Did you get a hand job during it?
Old 10-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #7521
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Did you get a hand job during it?

Save that for the other thread.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:15 AM   #7522
GrantDawg

The Munsters- 4.5 out of 10 I was expecting a silly, camp style movie, but it over-delivered in the camp. It was rarely funny, usually when it really hit on the original show's funny bits. It also shared a feeling with the second Netflix movie I watched as having very low production value. Like "Tv movie of the week" low.

ME TIME-5 out of 10 Maybe slightly funnier than the other movie, but only slightly. Obvious plot full of zany characters that were hit and miss.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:25 AM   #7523
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wasn't Rob Zombie responsible for that Munsters movie? That should have tempered your expectations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:58 PM   #7524
Edward64
Head Coach

Bullet Train - 7.5/10

In the first 5 min or so, I was thinking very Tarantino like. About 10 min in, I knew this was a movie I would have to rewatch to take it all in, too confusing at first.

Movie was fun. Good action, witty back-and-forth, nice special effects etc. Nice guest appearances, cameos.

The current spat with Angelina Jolie notwithstanding (don't know who to believe just yet), I like Brad Pitt. He's aging well as an actor. (Sandra Bullock is looking like one too many facelifts/botox unfortunately).

EDIT: watched it again and will keep it at 7.5. I'm tempted to up it because I enjoyed the creativity of incorporating the Japanese version of English songs but not quite enough to bump it up to an 8.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-19-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #7525
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Passengers - 8/10

Didn't get good reviews but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were some parts that were way too simplistic but the overall plot was great.

If you are a sci-fi fan, go see it.

Rewatched Passengers and I'll lower it to 7/10.

Still a fun, fun movie to watch and still does remind me of Heinlein'ish adventure. But yeah, waking up Jennifer Lawrence, even if going half-mad, is not a good foundation to build a movie.

It would have been better if both of their capsules failed and they woke up. Come up with some other personal crisis to overcome.

I do love the ending where the crew wakes up and finds an overgrown garden. It would have been a nice touch to have their descendants around but then that would bring up the theoretical/biblical question of how did Noah's kids repopulate the world.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #7526
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Good Nurse 8.5/10 (Netflix)

Sometimes you finish a movie, and all you can say is "Wow". This was that movie. Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne deliver a shocking true story. Well worth your time. Fantastic movie.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-29-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:10 PM   #7527
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just watched Prey on Hulu. Best Predator movie since the original.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #7528
Edward64
Head Coach

Beast - 7/10

Solid entertaining movie. Good tension throughout. Good CGI. Makes me want to visit South Africa.

I'd give it a 7.5 but only thing I didn't like was the teenage daughter drama that grated on my nerves.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #7529
Edward64
Head Coach

The Bodyguard - 8/10

It's been a while (1992) but Netflix is showcasing it and I haven't started watching election night yet.

Corny by today's standards but pretty good movie. Kevin Costner is like Tom Cruise, I can't remember a movie by him that I didn't enjoy. Whitney could have had a pretty good career as an actress. Frak how she died.

There's talk of a remake.

There's a Remake of 'The Bodyguard' in the Works—Here's Everything You Need to Know | A.frame
Quote:
When can we see this remake of The Bodyguard? Production isn’t underway just yet, but we hope to see the new Bodyguard on screens in the next year or two.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #7530
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Vengance- 9.5/10 Wow. Wasn't expecting to like this movie as much as I did. BJ Novak did a great job writing, directing and staring in what I found to be a funny and surprising film.

Very solid film. Really good fish out of water story. More later
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:38 AM   #7531
Edward64
Head Coach

Where the Crawdads Sing - 7/10

Enjoyable movie, had good suspense till the end. Probably not one that I would re-watch though.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:47 AM   #7532
GrantDawg

Don't Worry, Darling - 7.5/10

Heard so much about the stars of this movie, but very little about the actual movie. Going in uninformed was the way to go. It was a surprising movie with a good twist.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - 8/10

Fun movie. Nick Cage and Pedro Pascal should do a series of buddy movies together. They had some real screen chemistry, and I fell in love with their bromance.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-19-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #7533
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - 8/10

Fun movie. Nick Cage and Pedro Pascal should do a series of buddy movies together. They had some real screen chemistry, and I fell in love with their bromance.

It was such a doofy premise but I really enjoyed it

SI

Old 11-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #7534
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yesterday - 7/10

Fun movie about a struggling musician being the only person that remembers The Beatles and their songs (well, not the only only person) after some sort of "event". I wish they played more of the songs and the Lennon cameo was cool.

I'll have to get it on sale during BF and see some of the specials.

I rewatched this on Hulu and thoroughly enjoyed it again. I'll bump this up to an 8/10 as it's stood the test of time (2 years).
Old 12-08-2022, 09:34 PM   #7535
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Wonder Woman 1984 - 6/10

What a disappointment. I guess it was okay as a stand alone movie but when compared with #1, it really stunk.

Poor storyline (not worthy of Gal Gadot), yucky outfits, some bad special effects (apex predator) and WTF is up with "up in the air" ... did that happen in the comics? The bonus ending was a nice touch though.

Oh well, guess we don't need to worry about Wonder Woman 3

Quote:
Warner Bros. is not going ahead with a third Wonder Woman movie from director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot, according to a new report. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the project “is not moving forward and is considered dead in its current incarnation.”
Old 12-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #7536
GrantDawg

Quote:
Bullet Train 8/10

For me 9/10. And I am really not an action guy. It was a really fun "comic book comes to life" type movie. It felt like a cross between Guy Ritchie and Quentin Tarantino.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-09-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #7537
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Die Hard is still an amazing movie. Every time I watch it, I spot something new and I'm well over a dozen watchings

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-10-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #7538
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Die Hard is still an amazing movie. Every time I watch it, I spot something new and I'm well over a dozen watchings

SI

But is it a Christmas movie?
Old 12-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #7539
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Re-watched "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow". Giving it an 8/10.

It's an underrated movie.

I think Tom Cruise is a good actor. His progression from non-combatant to a veteran was great. I watched the specials and it showed how physical it was filming in those suits.

Great chemistry between Cruise and Emily Blunt.

And I didn't know this until watching the specials but Bill Paxton (RIP) was in the movie as the drill sergeant. "Game over man!"

Chuckled at this. Other than his crazy Scientology antics, great guy.

Quote:
“We had to wear these enormous suits, which I think would’ve been great if we had CGI’d them, but we wanted to do it in a tactile way,” she revealed on the “SmartLess” podcast on an episode dropping Monday, per news reports.
:
It was like 85 pounds. It was so heavy,” she continued. “The first time I put it on I started to cry, and [Cruise] didn’t know what to do.”
Quote:
“He just stared at me for a long time, not knowing what to do, and he goes, ‘Come on, stop being such a p—y, OK?'” she said, adding it caught her off guard and made her laugh.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-10-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #7540
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But is it a Christmas movie?

What kind of stupid question is that. OF COURSE IT'S A CHRISTMAS MOVIE!

I mean, isn't it obvious:
  • Music? Of course! Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow, and Christmas in Hollis
  • "It's Christmas, Theo. It's the time of miracles. So be of good cheer... and call me when you hit the last lock." ("You asked for miracles, Theo, I give you the F.B.I.")
  • Setting? It's definitely Christmas Eve. And not like subtly in the background - it's front and center. From the intro at the Christmas Party to the guy arguing that he can't turn off the power on Christmas Eve - the movie reminds you of it again and again.
  • "Now I have a machine gun. Ho-ho-ho"
  • There's a number of random trappings throughout the movie to remind you what time of year it is like the plastic Santa, the Christmas wrapping tape, and the giant gift bear.
  • "'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, except... the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation."
  • Ultimately, it's a love story where the high end professional woman is conflicted between her career and her man who is a bit more simple. Heck, her name is even "Holly".
  • And, by the end of the movie, it's even snowing in LA
I mean, it might as well be on the Hallmark Channel. All it's missing is Ed Asner playing an old guy that may or may not be Santa.

SI

Old 12-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #7541
Bobble
College Prospect

A Russian WWII tank movie, T-34 on YouTube, actually. Subtitled. It may remind you of Fury with Brad Pitt. I thought the production and acting were very good. 8/10
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #7542
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched trailers for upcoming movies in big screen and also streaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAe2eU_emY

For 2023 ...
  • Indiana Jones looks interesting. Really hope it turns out well and gives Harrison Ford and fans a nice closure.
  • The Last of Us adaption looks very promising!
  • Guardians of the Galaxy and Groot!
  • John Wick 4. Looks like his family sits or used to sit at "the table"! Nice twist
  • And not listed in the link is Adam Driver in a sci-fi move 65. It's got dinos!
Old 12-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #7543
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ooo! That 65 movie looks promising!
Old 12-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #7544
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We’re at the theater about to watch the new avatar movie and the seats dont recline. Not sure how I feel about this.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:26 AM   #7545
Critch
lolzcat

Just watched Paddington 2. It was great.

I read that it had replaced Citizen Kane as the top ranked movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Well deserved, much better than that old rubbish.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #7546
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Avatar Way of the Water was fantastic. As you would expect a beautiful movie. Highly recommend seeing it in IMAX. Story was great, slow build up but not in a bad way. The 3+ hours flew by.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #7547
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Glass Onion is pretty awesome
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:26 PM   #7548
GrantDawg

Just finished Glass Onion as well. 9/10. I don't know if it was as good as the first one, but it was good in its own right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2022, 04:42 AM   #7549
Hammer
College Prospect

Boiling Point with Stephen Graham on Netflix. Movie of the year for me.

Watch the old Warriors again recently, absolutely classic.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:58 PM   #7550
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The extended version of Hateful Eight is enhanced when it’s below zero feeling outside
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote