Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2022, 09:30 AM   #301
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
The 'statement' by the German team was their response to FIFA's 11th hour decision to ban the captain's arm band that several European teams have being wearing in official UEFA competitions this year in an effort to strengthen the anti-discrimination vibe that 'football' is trying to promote. Discrimination of all kinds is still a major problem in football stadiums. The only people that have the ability to influence it, are the players on the field. They are the biggest role models in the world. It's a change of times that players are willing to see that and while many mostly promote silliness on their social media non-sense, every now or then they try to be aware of having the means to do good as well.

FIFA out of the blue stamped the One Love band as a political statement and instead ordered teams to use FIFA's own "No discrimination" band that was worn by the USA and Wales captains. For crying out loud, FIFA has branded the word "Love" as being too political and to not be used in any form whatsoever. Additionally, warming up kits were banned because they were too colorful, hence a political statement in it's opinion. The way I understand it, this band has nothing to do with being anti-Qatar and also it isn't correct when people proclaim that band is pro-LHBTIQX (or whatever the flavor of the day abbreviation is), it's just as much about racism and freedom of religion.

The latter has been subject of quite the uproar in the Netherlands when the KNVB and the Eredivisie clubs picked a weekend where all captains would wear it and two of the 18 captains refused it because they felt that their religious beliefs were in conflict with it. They completely missed the point that the fact they can live in a country where their religion enriched life exists is because of freedom of religion, which makes it a moronic decision to not want to promote it.

But football is not about politics. FIFA claimed the World Cup will bring peace between the Ukraine and Russia (never mind that Russia got disqualified over their invasion of Ukraine, so why would Russia even care for this tournament?). We all know a "World" Cup is always about politics. Every border between countries continues to exist because the politicians in the bordering countries respect them. Hence Belgium and the Netherlands having separate teams.

/rant

Wait, so you're telling me there's more to it than everyone is just a virtue signaling hypocrite? Interesting.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #302
miami_fan
Coordinator

One change to the USMNT lineup. Sargent out, Wright in.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

US lucky to get into the half scoreless. They did decent for the half but England had a ton of pressure the last few minutes.

SI

Old 11-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #304
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
US lucky to get into the half scoreless. They did decent for the half but England had a ton of pressure the last few minutes.

SI
The US had some excellent opportunities as well. It definitely wasn't a one-sided half.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:11 PM   #305
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they had a lot more life than they did against Wales. But they felt gassed towards the end.

Starting to feel like they're losing more possession here in the 2nd half and it might become a problem very soon.

SI

Old 11-25-2022, 02:12 PM   #306
miami_fan
Coordinator

So we are allowing to studs on the ankle? Just stay consistent.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-25-2022, 02:18 PM   #307
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I guess I was wrong - as soon as I say that about us starting to lose possession - US gets a number of nice attacks.

I notice England doesn't exactly fear our set pieces

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-25-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:28 PM   #308
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Monday's Game: Corners and free kicks lined straight into the Wales defense. Nothing remotely threatening.

Pundits: Pulisic is awful at set pieces. They really need to get someone in there who can put a dangerous ball in play.

Pulisic: Well...

Teammates on Thursday: Cool corners, bro.

Pulisic: And...

Pundits: Maybe the USA coaches should work on installing some plays there.

That aside, I'm impressed with the effort today. Probably England finds a way to 1-0 in the end, but they came to play today.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #309
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I feel like Pulisic's kicks are not awful today but there's nothing going on in the middle, but I'm also not very good at evaluating this

SI

Old 11-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #310
GrantDawg

Disappointing they didn't sell out on that last free kick, but a draw is still huge.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #311
Galaril
Pro Starter

So beat Iran and they go forward to second round.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #312
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

You usually need to win at some point to advance in this format. Because of that +4 in the opener, England didn't have any pressure on it today. Not sure it mattered whether it was 0-1 or 0-0 for the US, so the attacking style today was good to see.

It'll be interesting to see what Iran comes up with on Tuesday, needing a point to eliminate the US and move on. Of course, Wales could come up with a win against England and then a draw eliminates both US and Iran. England looked bored and efficient. Wales just looked tired.

About the armband thing... you're playing in a tournament under the umbrella of an organization that put the tournament in Qatar despite everyone knowing that human rights is a different story in Islamic theocracies. Your participation endorses FIFA's decision.

When I'm watching a sporting event, if it came down to having any interest in armband color because I'm looking for a signal of some sort, I'm already well aware of the issues. But it's like caring about the deck chairs on the Titanic. I would like everyone - gay, straight, combinations of both, neither, women, men, people of all races - to have the same rights everywhere. If I ran the world, they would. It's important. A soccer match can't change that, but it can be an event that brings people together. I won't say that these gestures are meaningless, but they are far, far less important than the fact that people are coming together to watch soccer.

I'm frustrated that FIFA chose money over refusing to help elevate a country where human rights are granted only to a subset of the people. If I thought about it more, maybe I wouldn't watch. But then I'd be missing out on the soccer. Trivial, yes, but so is the armband thing for those on field.

There's a competition out there called Miss America, for those of you too young to remember when it was a major annual television event. We came together to judge the superficial beauty of mostly white, tall, 20-year-old women with what popular culture considered spectacular figures (think of Hot or Not, but with no disagreement). There was a talent portion to make it somehow more competition-like, but everyone made fun of it - the women only had to have some training in putting on a competent display of something - could be flower-arranging, IIRC.

Television ratings were high. It was a mindless, satisfying, easily digested display of men ogling women and women, who made up just as much of the audience, enthusiastically judging as well (evening gowns were very important). Bert Parks would sing, and celebrities wore fancy clothes, and that made it all so legitimate and saccharine.

The key was tying it into states competing against states. The women wore big sashes with their state's name. For those in my generation, so many of us bought into this from childhood. It really was a significant part of our culture at the time.

Like many cultural phenomena, it died out. A new consciousness arose. Pageants felt less legitimate and more exploitative. Honey Boo-Boo happened. Something called the "personal interview" came into being, and we made fun of it because the "right" answer was to say the phrase "world peace" in a hopeful and yet charming manner.

But then it replaced the bathing suit "competition" and the answers were judged in the exact same manner - there's an ideal political mindset out there, and it must be regurgitated. And the audience just disappeared with the snap of a finger. I'm not sure it's even on television any more.

I don't miss it. It is an anachronism, part of our history that I guess makes some people want to make great again, but it wouldn't. In today's world, empathizing far more with women's equality, it would feel too exploitative. But the competition goes on, and apparently, to the delight of the right wing's perpetually-angry talking heads, some states are even choosing winners who are genetically male and identify as women. Which is fascinating, but I'm not sure makes for compelling television.

Some day, perhaps sports will also fall into this anachronistic category of things we once enjoyed, but we cannot feel good about anymore. I think the concussion issue in football could be the impetus here. But that's still a long way off. The point is that if we try and make things that people enjoy as entertainment political, they become insufferable and no longer bring us together at all.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #313
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So beat Iran and they go forward to second round.

I think everyone would have taken this scenario coming into the World Cup.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:45 PM   #314
miami_fan
Coordinator

Some players have a hard time getting their bonuses from their country's FA. The Saudis?

Saudi Arabia's National Team Gifted Rolls-Royce Phantoms After Historic World Cup Victory

FYI, from what I can tell none of the players play outside of the Saudi Pro League.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:04 PM   #315
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Adams and Robinson might be getting a few calls when they're done in Qatar. Can't imagine they're still at Leeds and Fulham after this season.

Matt Turner might have earned a nice loan move for the second half of the season..

Definitely a nervy first 15-20 minutes, but after that it never felt like England would be a danger from open play. Don't feel like it's a sure thing we'll advance, but if you can't win 1 game you probably don't deserve to advance anyway.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:08 AM   #316
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think everyone would have taken this scenario coming into the World Cup.

Yup agreed.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:45 AM   #317
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Scenarios on what may happen next Tuesday:

Group AEcuador winsdraw Ecu - SenSenegal wins
Netherlands wins
1 & 2 Netherlands 7 *A
1 & 2 Ecuador 7 *A
3 Senegal 3
4 Qatar 0
1 Netherlands 7
2 Ecuador 5
3 Senegal 4
4 Qatar 0
1 Netherlands 7
2 Senegal 6
3 Ecuador 4
4 Qatar 0

draw Ned - Qat
1 Ecuador 7
2 Netherlands 5
3 Senegal 3
4 Qatar 1
1 & 2 Netherlands 5 *A
1 & 2 Ecuador 5 *A
3 Senegal 4
4 Qatar 1
1 Senegal 6
2 Netherlands 5
3 Ecuador 4
4 Qatar 1

Qatar wins
1 Ecuador 7
2 Netherlands 4
3 & 4 Senegal 3 *B
3 & 4 Qatar 3 *B
1 Ecuador 5
2 & 3 Netherlands 4 *C
2 & 3 Senegal 4 *C
4 Qatar 3
1 Senegal 6
2 & 3 Netherlands 4 *A
2 & 3 Ecuador 4 *A
4 Qatar 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently tied at +2 each), then overall goals scored (currently tied at 3 each), then overall yellow cards (currently Netherlands leads 1 vs 3), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Senegal leads 0 vs -4), then overall goals scored (currently Senegal leads 3 vs 1), then head-to-head (Senegal won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Netherlands leads +2 vs 0), then overall goals scored (currently tied 3 each), then head-to-head (Netherlands won)

Group BIran winsdraw Irn - USAUSA wins
England wins
1 England 7
2 Iran 6
3 USA 2
4 Wales 1
1 England 7
2 Iran 4
3 USA 3
4 Wales 1
1 England 7
2 USA 5
3 Iran 3
4 Wales 1

draw Eng - Wal
1 Iran 6
2 England 5
3 & 4 USA 2 *A
3 & 4 Wales 2 *A
1 England 5
2 Iran 4
3 USA 3
4 Wales 2
1 & 2 England 5 *B
1 & 2 USA 5 *B
3 Iran 4
4 Wales 2

Wales wins
1 Iran 6
2 & 3 England 4 *C
2 & 3 Wales 4 *C
4 USA 2
1 & 2 & 3 England 4 *D
1 & 2 & 3 Iran 4 *D
1 & 2 & 3 Wales 4 *D
4 USA 3
1 USA 5
2 & 3 England 4 *C
2 & 3 Wales 4 *C
4 Iran 4

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently USA leads 0 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently tied 1 each), then overall yellow cards (currently USA leads 4 vs 7), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently England leads +4 vs 0), then overall goals scored (currently England leads 6 vs 1), then overall yellow cards (currently England leads 0 vs 4), then draw of lots
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently England leads +4 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently England leads 6 vs 1), then head-to-head (Wales will win)
*D comes down to overall goal difference (currently England leads ahead of Iran and Wales +4 vs -2 and -2), then overall goals scored (currently England leads ahead of Iran 6 vs 4 vs 1), then head-to-head goal difference (currently England leads ahead of Iran and Wales +4 vs -2 and -2), then head-to-head goals scored (currently England leads ahead of Iran 6 vs 4 vs 0), then drawing of lots; if at some point one team advances, while the two others are tied, ties will be broken between those two on overall goal difference, then overall goals scored, then head-to-head (England beat Iran, Iran beat Wales, Wales beats England)

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-27-2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: just 2 typo fixes, nothing major. :D
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:06 PM   #318
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Group DFrance winsdraw Fra - TunTunisia wins
Australia wins
1 France 9
2 Australia 6
3 & 4 Denmark 1 *A
3 & 4 Tunisia 1 *A
1 France 7
2 Australia 6
3 Tunisia 2
4 Denmark 1
1 & 2 France 6 *B
1 & 2 Australia 6 *B
3 Tunisia 4
4 Denmark 1

draw Aus - Den
1 France 9
2 Australia 4
3 Denmark 2
4 Tunisia 1
1 France 7
2 Australia 4
3 & 4 Denmark 2 *A
3 & 4 Tunisia 2 *A
1 France 6
2 & 3 Tunisia 4 *C
2 & 3 Australia 4 *C
4 Denmark 2

Denmark wins
1 France 9
2 Denmark 4
3 Australia 3
4 Tunisia 1
1 France 7
2 Denmark 4
3 Australia 3
4 Tunisia 2
1 France 6
2 & 3 Denmark 4 *A
2 & 3 Tunisia 4 *A
4 Australia 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently tied -1 each), then overall goals scored (currently Denmark leads 1 vs 0), then overall yellow cards (currently tied 4 each), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently France leads +4 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently France leads 6 vs 2), then head-to-head (France won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Tunisia leads -1 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently Australia leads 2 vs 0), then head-to-head (Australia won)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #319
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yup, that guy.
Old 11-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #320
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Scenarios for Wednesday, the other group:
Group CPoland winsdraw Pol - ArgArgentina wins
Saudi Arabia win
1 Poland 7
2 Saudi Arabia 6
3 Argentina 3
4 Mexico 1
1 Saudi Arabia 6
2 Poland 5
3 Argentina 4
4 Mexico 1
1 & 2 Argentina 6 *A
1 & 2 Saudi Arabia 6 *A
3 Poland 4
4 Mexico 1

draw KSA - Mex
1 Poland 7
2 Saudi Arabia 4
3 Argentina 3
4 Mexico 2
1 Poland 5
2 & 3 Argentina 4 *A
2 & 3 Saudi Arabia 4 *A
4 Mexico 2
1 Argentina 6
2 & 3 Poland 4 *B
2 & 3 Saudi Arabia 4 *B
4 Mexico 2

Mexico wins
1 Poland 7
2 Mexico 4
3 & 4 Argentina 3 *A
3 & 4 Saudi Arabia 3 *A
1 Poland 5
2 & 3 Argentina 4 *C
2 & 3 Mexico 4 *C
4 Saudi Arabia 3
1 Argentina 6
2 & 3 Poland 4 *D
2 & 3 Mexico 4 *D
4 Saudi Arabia 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently Argentina leads +1 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Argentina leads 3 vs 2), then head-to-head (Saudi Arabia won)
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Poland leads +2 vs -1), then overal goals scored (currently tied 2 each), then head-to-head (Poland won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Argentina leads +1 vs -2), then overall goal scored (currently Argentina leads 3 vs 0), then head-to-head (Argentina won)
*D comes down to overall goal difference (currently Poland leads +2 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently Poland leads 2 vs 0), then yellow cards (Poland leads 4 vs 6), then draw of lots

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-26-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #321
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I believe a Canadian player currently has a tampon up his nose.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 11:20 AM   #322
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My daughter said, "That dude is wearing his tampon all wrong!"

Also, Canada's goalie is the best worst goalie I've seen so far this tournament.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:08 PM   #323
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Scenarios for Thursday
Group FBelgium winsdraw Bel - CroCroatia wins
Morocco wins
1 Morocco 7
2 Belgium 6
3 Croatia 4
4 Canada 0
1 Morocco 7
2 Croatia 5
3 Belgium 4
4 Canada 0
1 & 2 Croatia 7 *A
1 & 2 Morocco 7 *A
3 Belgium 3
4 Canada 0

draw Mar - Can
1 Belgium 6
2 Morocco 5
3 Croatia 4
4 Canada 1
1 & 2 Croatia 5 *A
1 & 2 Morocco 5 *A
3 Belgium 4
4 Canada 1
1 Croatia 7
2 Morocco 5
3 Belgium 3
4 Canada 1

Canada wins
1 Belgium 6
2 & 3 Croatia 4 *A
2 & 3 Morocco 4 *A
4 Canada 3
1 Croatia 5
2 & 3 Morocco 4 *B
2 & 3 Belgium 4 *B
4 Canada 3
1 Croatia 7
2 Morocco 4
3 & 4 Belgium 3 *C
3 & 4 Canada 3 *C

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently Croatia leads +3 vs +2), then overall goals scored (currently Croatia leads 4 vs 2), then overall yellow cards (currently tied 2 each), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Morocco leads +2 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Morocco leads 2 vs 1), then head-to-head (Morocco won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Belgium leads -1 vs -4), then overall goals scored (currently tied 1 each), then head-to-head (Belgium won)
Old 11-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #324
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Second part for next Thursday:

Group ESpain winsdraw Esp - JpnJapan wins
Costa Rica wins
1 Spain 7
2 Costa Rica 6
3 Japan 3
4 Germany 1
1 Costa Rica 6
2 Spain 5
3 Japan 4
4 Germany 1
1 & 2 Japan 6 *A
1 & 2 Costa Rica 6 *A
3 Spain 4
4 Germany 1

draw CRi - Ger
1 Spain 7
2 Costa Rica 4
3 Japan 3
4 Germany 2
1 Spain 5
3 & 4 Japan 4 *A
3 & 4 Costa Rica 4 *A
4 Germany 2
1 Japan 6
2 & 3 Spain 4 *B
2 & 3 Costa Rica 4 *B
4 Germany 2

Germany wins
1 Spain 7
2 Germany 4
3 & 4 Japan 3 *A
3 & 4 Costa Rica 3 *A
1 Spain 5
2 & 3 Japan 4 *C
2 & 3 Germany 4 *C
4 Costa Rica 3
1 Japan 6
2 & 3 Spain 4 *D
2 & 3 Germany 4 *D
4 Costa Rica 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently Japan leads 0 vs -6), then goals scored (currently Japan leads 2 vs 1), then head-to-head (Costa Rica won)
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Spain leads +7 vs -6), then goals scored (currently Spain leads 8 vs 1), then head-to-head (Spain won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Japan leads 0 vs -1), then goals scored (currently tied 2 each), then head-to-head (Japan won)
*D comes down to overall goal difference (currently Spain leads +7 vs -1), then goals scored (currently Spain leads 8 vs 2), then overall yellow cards (Spain leads 1 vs 3), then draw of lots
Old 11-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #325
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Scenarios for next Friday:
Group GPortugal winsdraw Por - KorSouth Korea wins
Ghana wins
1 Portugal 9
2 Ghana 6
3 & 4 South Korea 1 *A
3 & 4 Uruguay 1 *A
1 Portugal 7
2 Ghana 6
3 South Korea 2
4 Uruguay 1
1 & 2 Portugal 6 *B
1 & 2 Ghana 6 *B
3 South Korea 4
4 Uruguay 1

draw Gha - Uru
1 Portugal 9
2 Ghana 4
3 Uruguay 2
4 South Korea 1
1 Portugal 7
2 Ghana 4
3 & 4 South Korea 2 *A
3 & 4 Uruguay 2 *A
1 Portugal 6
2 & 3 Ghana 4 *C
2 & 3 South Korea 4 *C
4 Uruguay 2

Uruguay wins
1 Portugal 9
2 Uruguay 4
3 Ghana 3
4 South Korea 1
1 Portugal 7
2 Uruguay 4
3 Ghana 3
4 South Korea 2
1 Portugal 6
2 & 3 South Korea 4 *A
2 & 3 Uruguay 4 *A
4 Ghana 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently South Korea leads -1 vs -2), then overall goals scored (South Korea leads 2 vs 0), then overal yellow cards (currently tied 3 each), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overal goal difference (currently Portugal leads +3 vs 0), then overall goals scored (curreltny tied 5 each), then head-to-head (Portugal won)
*C comes down to overal goal difference (currently Ghana leads 0 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Ghana leads 5 vs 2), then head-to-head (Ghana won)

Group HBrazil winsdraw Bra - CmrCameroon wins
Switzerland wins
1 Brazil 9
2 Switzerland 6
3 & 4 Cameroon 1 *A
3 & 4 Serbia 1 *A
1 Brazil 7
2 Switzerland 6
3 Cameroon 2
4 Serbia 1
1 & 2 Brazil 6 *
1 & 2 Switzerland 6 *
3 Cameroon 4
4 Serbia 1

draw Sui - Srb
1 Brazil 9
2 Switzerland 4
3 Serbia 2
4 Cameroon 1
1 Brazil 7
2 Switzerland 4
3 & 4 Cameroon 2 *A
3 & 4 Serbia 2 *A
1 Brazil 6
2 & 3 Switzerland 4 *C
2 & 3 Cameroon 4 *C
4 Serbia 2

Serbia wins
1 Brazil 9
2 Serbia 4
3 Switzerland 3
4 Cameroon 1
1 Brazil 7
2 Serbia 4
3 Switzerland 3
4 Cameroon 2
1 Brazil 6
2 & 3 Cameroon 4 *A
2 & 3 Serbia 4 *A
4 Switzerland 3

*A comes down to overall goal difference (currently Cameroon leads -1 vs -2), then overall goals scored (currently tied 3 each), then overall yellow cards (currently Cameroon leads 3 vs 5), then draw of lots
*B comes down to overall goal difference (currently Brazil leads +3 vs 0), then overall goals scored (currently Brazil leads 3 vs 1), then head-to-head (Brazil won)
*C comes down to overall goal difference (currently Switzerland leads 0 vs -1), then overall goals scored (currently Cameroon leads 3 vs 1), then head-to-head (Switzerland won)
Old 11-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #326
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

This will be glossed over I'm sure, but the entire Juve board resigns in the wake of financial irregularities that were found.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #327
miami_fan
Coordinator

Does it keep them out of the Super League?
Old 11-29-2022, 10:57 AM   #328
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know that there is a desire to keep politics out of the World Cup but after the buildup to USA v Iran, I think FIFA has to be ecstatic that one of the countries with be heading home today.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #329
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there no one better than Sargent to play? Can't they move Weah up and have Gio in there?
Old 11-29-2022, 01:37 PM   #330
bronconick
College Starter

They can't finish for shit.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #331
miami_fan
Coordinator

The U.S.'s inability to control the ball is maddening.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #332
GrantDawg

Christian needs to be ok.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2022, 01:42 PM   #333
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thank god USA scored. Yes, I obviously want them to win. But this means Iran can't just spend the rest of the game screwing around and faking long injuries just to burn clock.

EDIT: And the US will keep attacking because 1-0 is still a dangerous place to be

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-29-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #334
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I wrong in thinking Pulisic took a big shot to the nuts?
Old 11-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #335
GrantDawg

No, you are not wrong.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:53 PM   #336
whomario
Pro Starter

Best finish of Weahs career and it's all for nothing ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:54 PM   #337
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd like to see how close that offsides was.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:01 PM   #338
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A lot I don't understand about refereeing. Seemed like Adams got carded for absolutely nothing. I guess we no longer can anticipate future Pulisics suiting up for USA in the 2040s.

They left quite a few opportunities out there. Great pressure, Iran couldn't counter. I hope they don't go into a shell like they did against Wales. Iran isn't going to quit trying.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:07 PM   #339
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Aaronson for Pulisic
Old 11-29-2022, 02:12 PM   #340
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Man, Wales has quit
Old 11-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #341
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Adams was given a yellow for egregiously stopping a counter attack. A tactical found worthy of a yellow.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #342
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Berhalter needs to make a double switch
Old 11-29-2022, 02:33 PM   #343
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is Teremi as good as he's looked this game or is our defense that bad?

SI

Old 11-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #344
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Berhalter needs to make a double switch

He seems to wait too long.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:43 PM   #345
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I think it's clear something is going on with Reyna and Berhalter or Reyna and the team.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #346
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Thank God and fuck Berhalter. Every sub was shittier than the next.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #347
GrantDawg

Tell me this match didn't have your butt clinched.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #348
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Thank God and fuck Berhalter. Every sub was shittier than the next.

I don't know word one about him, but Zimmerman had a ton of won headers in the last 15+ minutes. That said, I'm not educated enough to say whether any of the subs were good or bad

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-29-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:12 PM   #349
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

I also liked what Aaronson brought. Dude works his ass off.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #350
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know word one about him, but Zimmerman had a ton of won headers in the last 15+ minutes. That said, I'm not educated enough to say whether any of the subs were good or bad

SI

Pretty much what I came into the thread to say. Talking heads hated on Moore and Wright afterwards which I kinda understood their explanations for but I thought Zimmerman was absolutely clutch.