Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What will the results be of the mid terms?
Red Wave- take control of both house and senate 23 50.00%
Blue Wave-keep control of both house and senate 4 8.70%
Split- Dems keep senate, lose house 19 41.30%
Split- Dems lose senate, take house 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #351
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Assuming CNN is right that 98% of the CO vote is counted, ~6000 ballots are outstanding in Boebert's district. Frisch would have to win at about 66% of those to win.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #352
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It was always a bit of a pipe dream but it was fun to pretend

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:42 PM   #353
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
If you have blue votes clustered around Madison and Milwaukee at a 90% rate and the rest of the state is 60%-70% red, it's actually pretty hard to district that into something representing the statewide vote. It has to be drawn very deliberately (gerrymandered) to not have more red districts.

Every other state with big cities can draw maps that don't end up with such an un-democratic slant. This is just gerrymandering to the extreme.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #354
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Someone is going to have to convince me that Trump won't just drub DeSantis like Jeb Bush if they're in a contested primary before I worry about DeSantis before 2028.

I think there was a tiny window where he was weak after J6 when they could have moved on from Trump. They let him regroup and maintain his status as the leader of the party.

Now is another time where he is at his weakest. It's why he is lashing out like a crazy person. If Desantis comes out firing and gets the backing of other big Republicans, I think they can largely move on from Trump. He'll still be a figure, but not THE figure.

With that said, I don't think Desantis has the balls to fight him. I don't think he'd have enough people with the balls to back him either. So my guess is the party will still revolve around Trump through 2024, which is pretty great news for Democrats who have had three straight successful elections running against him as the leader.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #355
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

A few Rs have floated trial balloon comments about moving on from Trump. Like McConnell, McCarthy, Haley and a few others did after J6, they'll see where those comments land, if anyone else follows suit, and if so, the momentum to pile on will begin. If not, they'll pretend like they never said anything, Trump will announce, and he'll be their nominee.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:13 PM   #356
bronconick
College Starter

He's already firing on DeSantis
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #357
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I agree that a run-off would favor Warnock vs Walker/Trump.

I'm not sure that holds true if it was a Walker supported by Kemp. I think Kemp has publicly said he supports Walker but my guess (and hope) that he really doesn't. But a 51 GOP majority may be very compelling to him.

Welp, Kemp is involved now. Sure hope it doesn't come down to this race.

McConnell turns to Brian Kemp to help save Herschel Walker in Georgia runoff - POLITICO
Quote:
McConnell turns to Brian Kemp to help save Herschel Walker in Georgia runoff

The Georgia governor is loaning his get-out-the-vote machine to the McConnell-aligned super PAC, Senate Leadership Fund, ahead of the Dec. 6 vote.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #358
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It won't be for majority. Dems are going to take NV and AZ.

I don't think the GOP, who clearly don't care for Walker that much, will turn out for him in a runoff that doesn't change control of the Senate.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #359
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
A few Rs have floated trial balloon comments about moving on from Trump. Like McConnell, McCarthy, Haley and a few others did after J6, they'll see where those comments land, if anyone else follows suit, and if so, the momentum to pile on will begin. If not, they'll pretend like they never said anything, Trump will announce, and he'll be their nominee.

They all backed down quick. If they actually want to rid themselves of him, everyone has to go after him when he's at his weakest. You give him a couple months to recover and he's killing you in another election in 2024.

It's still inconceivable to me that the Democrats might gain seats in the Senate. Republicans just gave away Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Nevada this year.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:28 PM   #360
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
It won't be for majority. Dems are going to take NV and AZ.

I don't think the GOP, who clearly don't care for Walker that much, will turn out for him in a runoff that doesn't change control of the Senate.

Yeah, I think Walker's hopes hinged on this race being for the Senate.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #361
Ksyrup

The problem is, this is like lining up, everyone agreeing to step forward, and one or two idiots step forward while everyone else stands pat. Eventually, no one even tries to step forward for fear of getting outed as anti-Trump with no support.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-10-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #362
Edward64
Head Coach

538 agrees.

Happy with the (likely) mixed Congress. Nice bonus if a SCOTUS slot frees up to get things closer to even.

2022 Election: Live Results And Updates | FiveThirtyEight
Quote:
Democrats seem likely to (eventually) win Arizona and Nevada, giving them control of the Senate regardless of what happens in the Georgia runoff.
:
Republicans are virtually guaranteed to have at least 49 seats in the next Senate, and Democrats have clinched 48. That means Democrats need to win two of Arizona, Georgia and Nevada to keep control.

In Arizona, Kelly leads Masters 51 percent to 46 percent — a margin of 98,141 votes. There are over 600,000 ballots left to count statewide, but it will be difficult for Masters to overcome that deficit.

In Nevada, Laxalt leads Cortez Masto 49 percent to 48 percent — a margin of 15,867 votes. However, there are roughly 100,000 ballots left to count, and they’re mostly mail-in ballots, which favor Democrats. So we think Cortez Masto will probably take the lead once they’re counted.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 PM   #363
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I dunno. I feel like if Murdoch wants him out, he'll be out.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #364
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's still inconceivable to me that the Democrats might gain seats in the Senate. Republicans just gave away Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Nevada this year.

They didn't give them away, Trump took them...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #365
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Dems really need to make sure they keep young voters engaged. They need to be a presence on every college campus, in cities, on tik tok etc...if they can keep young voters coming to the polls it is game over for republicans.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #366
Ksyrup

Perhaps they can partner with MTV for an Autotune the Vote campaign.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:55 PM   #367
Ksyrup

Old 11-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #368
Ksyrup

Old 11-10-2022, 10:37 PM   #369
Ksyrup

Unfortunately, looks like Boebert is going to narrowly win.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:25 AM   #370
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Because votes in one election don’t count in other elections? I mean, that’s sorta how it all works.

Yep, this. It's still a democracy, it's just not a 'pure democracy'. There's nothing undemocratic about it - what would make it undemocratic is if the top vote-getter in each district wasn't elected.

The way to get rid of this kind of thing is to do away with the idea of 1 representative = 1 district. Everyone votes collectively for multiple candidates, and the Top X number are elected. Of course then you don't have anyone representing the interests of your specific district either.

You'd need to either drastically shrink the number of House members, or have everyone vote for dozens of people - hundreds if you went national with it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-11-2022 at 03:26 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #371
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Dems really need to make sure they keep young voters engaged. They need to be a presence on every college campus, in cities, on tik tok etc...if they can keep young voters coming to the polls it is game over for republicans.
Politicians on TikTok... yeah I'm good. Young people weren't engaged because of something the Dems did, it was because the Republicans overreached with abortion.

Looking at Arizona closer I think Kelly will clearly win, and Hobbs looks good over Lake but that is still up in the air a bit since Maricopa County is legitimately bad at this process. Does appear the election day mail in ballots are going like 2018 instead of 2020 in other counties though which is a good sign for Dems.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-11-2022 at 10:15 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #372
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Seeing some predictions up the D's total to 219, which would be hilarious.

Serious Question: How the hell would they going to decide who's the speaker of the house if that happens? I can just imagine the horse trading.. "Ok, you're the Speaker of the House on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and alternate Sundays.. she's the speaker of the house on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and the opposite sundays"

Either that or we use the power of SCIENCE to create a true soulless abomination, fusing McCarthy and Pelosi into one hideously deformed.. well.. they wouldn't look much different, now that I think about it.

Someone reminded me that 435 representatives, 100 Senators +3 DC electoral votes is how we get 538.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-11-2022 at 10:51 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:53 AM   #373
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Politicians on TikTok... yeah I'm good. Young people weren't engaged because of something the Dems did, it was because the Republicans overreached with abortion.

Looking at Arizona closer I think Kelly will clearly win, and Hobbs looks good over Lake but that is still up in the air a bit since Maricopa County is legitimately bad at this process. Does appear the election day mail in ballots are going like 2018 instead of 2020 in other counties though which is a good sign for Dems.

They did call it for Kelly today
Old 11-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #374
QuikSand
lolzcat

I bought PredictIt shares very cheap of the D/D outcome in both chambers, and in the next few days I think it's possible that rises from its 9c price.

There's one race in MD-6 that is being called leaning-R by most national analysts but it's very likely to stay D, once our absurd vote counting process works itself out.

I don't think the final result is going to be D/D but I'm hoping to sell on a bump in the next few days before it call comes into true focus.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:26 AM   #375
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Seeing some predictions up the D's total to 219, which would be hilarious.

Serious Question: How the hell would they going to decide who's the speaker of the house if that happens? I can just imagine the horse trading.. "Ok, you're the Speaker of the House on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and alternate Sundays.. she's the speaker of the house on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and the opposite sundays"

Whatever party has 218 or more chooses the speaker?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #376
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Whatever party has 218 or more chooses the speaker?

yeah, I was thinking 438 (as I said, forgot the last three comes from DC electoral votes). Still, it'd be fun (and with retirements etcetera)..

Oh, and be ready for a TON of dirty tricks/offers for a cushy retirement if it's as close as they're projecting (D's in states where R governors would appoint replacements, and vice versa)
Old 11-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #377
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Either that or we use the power of SCIENCE to create a true soulless abomination, fusing McCarthy and Pelosi into one hideously deformed.. well.. they wouldn't look much different, now that I think about it.

What a terrifying monster

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #378
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I would would hate to be the speaker of the house when my party has 219 seats. Given today's red-blue divide it means any member of your party could sink legislation.

It'd be like having a house full of Joe Manchins.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:18 PM   #379
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. As mentioned before that's why I don't think it matters who wins really. Yes they get to set the agenda as the majority but who cares? You're not passing anything of significance anyway. Both parties are going to have to run for 2024 on 'give us control and we'll do XYZ, we need more seats to make it happen'. It also makes a perfect time for somebody like Pelosi to retire IMO.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-11-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #380
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It will matter for committee leadership and for stuff like farcical investigation. Not as important as, say, approving judges, but not nothing by a long shot.

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 01:49 PM   #381
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think those things actually matter though. Congressional investigations don't actually accomplish anything these days. Committee leaderships matters if you're actually going to be able to pass something, but otherwhise ...

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-11-2022 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #382
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I would would hate to be the speaker of the house when my party has 219 seats. Given today's red-blue divide it means any member of your party could sink legislation.

It should be a golden age, any coalition of 219 could pass bills, but the pressure from leadership against discharge petitions will be so great nothing will happen.

The real fun will be when a member of the majority dies or resigns. A world where each special election can change the House will be nuts. Biden should offer a plum cabinet job to a moderate GOPer and see what happens.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #383
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Meanwhile, Trump is twittering vaguely racist tweets (or whatever passes for tweeting on his platform) about Glenn Youngkin (apparently, the high schooler who resides in his brain just noticed that the name would sound Chinese if pronounced differently).

He's like an aging pitcher who has lost his fastball, is still convinced he can win 20 games, and blames the manager, his teammates, the umpires and eventually the fans themselves when he can no longer strike anyone out.

Last edited by Solecismic : 11-11-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #384
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and the Hawley-Rubio faction of GOP is attacking Mitch McConnell because apparently they're idiots.

Look, I hate McConnell but A) He's the most clued in politician on the R side about realpolitik, B) They're mostly attacking him because he said the equivalent of "Geez, stop with these clown car nominations, or we might not win", and guess what, many of them DID NOT WIN. So, they're attacking the bearer of bad news.

Mitch McConnell Could Be Done: Senators Rubio And Hawley Call for Delay in GOP Leadership Vote - DC Enquirer
Old 11-11-2022, 03:04 PM   #385
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It should be a golden age, any coalition of 219 could pass bills, but the pressure from leadership against discharge petitions will be so great nothing will happen.

The real fun will be when a member of the majority dies or resigns. A world where each special election can change the House will be nuts. Biden should offer a plum cabinet job to a moderate GOPer and see what happens.

This is the sad thing. This is why it feels a bit hollow whenever anyone is like "well, I like when the Presidency and Congress are divided". In theory, hey, let's just work together and get re-elected. Instead, nope.

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #386
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
This is the sad thing. This is why it feels a bit hollow whenever anyone is like "well, I like when the Presidency and Congress are divided". In theory, hey, let's just work together and get re-elected. Instead, nope.

SI

Or as we used to call it around here, the "Buccaneer."
Old 11-11-2022, 03:19 PM   #387
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
There's one race in MD-6 that is being called leaning-R by most national analysts but it's very likely to stay D, once our absurd vote counting process works itself out.

"Parrott called Trone to concede on Friday afternoon, both campaigns confirmed, and Trone described the call as “very gracious.”"
Old 11-11-2022, 05:33 PM   #388
Ksyrup

Quote:
I saw one (of many, I assume) GOP pundits arguing that GOP men needed to marry all of these Dem under 40 women. The implication being, of course, that once married, the woman would cease having a mind of her own and do what the husband directs. These people are just terrible human beings.

This is the exact kind of stuff I was talking about a couple of days ago...

Old 11-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #389
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is the exact kind of stuff I was talking about a couple of days ago...

I saw "lol - oh Babylon Bee - that's a parody site". And then looked at more Tweets and was like "whoa, that dude is actually serious - you're not supposed to sample the product".

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 06:05 PM   #390
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Especially if you are the GOP and you have your razor thin majority due to New York going way redder than the rest of the country in this one election. A lot of those reps in democratic leaning NY districts are not going to be on board with all MAGA all the time.

Indeed, they would probably love to work with the Senate and White House to pass moderate legislation. But the rest of the GOP caucus won’t let them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #391
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Or as we used to call it around here, the "Buccaneer."

RIP, Obstinate one

SI

Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #392
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As someone who wants what’s best for America, I want the Democrats to hold the house and senate. As someone who wants what’s best for the Democrats, I guess I would want the GOP to have a super thin house majority so it would have to constantly show its ass for two years before the 2024 election.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:08 PM   #393
Edward64
Head Coach

CNN reporting that Cortez Masto is about 800 down now.

Looks like the mail in ballots are leaning significantly to the Dems.

They think about 68,000 left to count in NV.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #394
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If the Georgia runoff were for senate control, then I am not sure which way it would go.

But if the Dems have 50 votes, I just do not see the GOP enthusiasm to go out and vote for Walker with nothing else on the ballot.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #395
Edward64
Head Coach

If control is not on the line, I agree that Warnock has a better chance.

Lot's of old senators though. Not sure how many of them have governors in a different party.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:52 PM   #396
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Idk. The most dependable votes to show for a runoff election is Seniors and hard-coded GOP. Without the Senate control being in play, the money for the Democrat GOTV is going to be much smaller. Democrats depend on the youth vote, how engaged are they going to be? Walker might back-door win if the Dens don't put everything into this.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:09 PM   #397
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Democrats like Warnock way more than the GOP likes Walker. That will be the difference.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:28 PM   #398
Edward64
Head Coach

I swear that tonight is the last night I'll be glued to election coverage. Back to normal for me tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:11 PM   #399
Edward64
Head Coach

CNN is making a call that Kelly wins. So 49-49.
Old 11-11-2022, 09:11 PM   #400
Ksyrup