Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #2201
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I got to the same point. I hit 20k a few times but feel the only way beyond it would be 80% luck . Kind of found myself not playing as much after that point

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #2202
Desnudo
Coordinator

TimeTree. Free app that tells you how many million years back two different species need to go to find a common ancestor.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #2203
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
TimeTree. Free app that tells you how many million years back two different species need to go to find a common ancestor.

The Creation Museum has an app like that with every combination giving an answer of 6000.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #2204
QuikSand
lolzcat

My 8yo daughter is really digging Disco Zoo, from the same shop that did Pocket Planes and Tiny Towers.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #2205
Desnudo
Coordinator

Chicago Tribune

United to offer free movies etc on iOS devices

Last edited by Desnudo : 03-14-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #2206
Prinzar
n00b

An app I am using a lot is Splashtop. Much less lag than Logmein. You can actually watch videos without lag and with sound. It's also much smoother for games like FOF.

The disappointing part is paying for the app, and still having to pay a subscription to access anywhere. Without a subscription you can use it on the same network as your computer, but obviously that doesn't get used much.
I paid a month to check out the quality, and was convinced straight away to pay the yearly fee
Prinzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #2207
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Hearthstone is out on the iPad now and I now see why it is so popular. I held off while many friends played on their PCs, but now I'm all in.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #2208
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, Hearthstone on iPad is not helping me with my reading goals this year...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 AM   #2209
QuikSand
lolzcat

With Hearthstone, feeling unsure how mch marginal contribution I really make. As long as I'm not an idiot, I feel like my deck mainly plays itself. Not sure what to think there.

I did do the Arena setup once for free, that was pretty fun (managed 3 wins).
Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #2210
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

this one was recommended to me by Analbumcover and it's working quite well:
App Shopper: Glympse - Share location with friends (Navigation)

Basically it will fire up a text message to anyone you ask it to, sharing your phone's location for a certain period of time (however long you want it to be, up to 4 hours) and how you are moving. The text message (could also be an email fwiw) contains a link to a website so the recipient doesn't even need to have the app install, or even know what the app is, as long as they can go on the web. If you set a destination, the app will even give you an ETA.

For me, it'll be pretty useful when I go out running since I always run alone. That way, I can fire up a glympse to my wife as I head out the door and she'll know if I'm still moving and heading back home without getting too worried. Also works when I'm out and I just want to send her a quick message that I'm heading back home. I decided to install the app on her phone too, so I can even request her to share her phones location...

FM
Old 06-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #2211
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

While out on BGG this week I saw a blurb about the battle academy IOS games that started me researching. Essentially this company Slitherine has come out with a bunch of turn based strategy games including Panzer Corps which is the self described spiritual successor to Panzer General on the PC.

This could be a very dangerous discovery on my part as I could see much money and time slipping away. That leads me to this post. One of the games they've released on the iPad and via steam is Qvadriga. This is a chariot racing team management simulation. I figure that such a game deserves mention here in this forum, as we are THE audience for such a thing. I mean I know as much now about chariot racing as I did about soccer before I plunged into FM 2006. In any case I don't know if it is a great game for the IOS, but it is something that we here at FOFC need to investigate. My copy will be downloaded tonight once I get home.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #2212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Panzer General was the shit.

So many hours of my childhood on that and Allied General. I need to pickup Panzer Corps one of these days. It's on Steam right? I think I added it to my wishlist.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #2213
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Panzer General was the shit.

So many hours of my childhood on that and Allied General. I need to pickup Panzer Corps one of these days. It's on Steam right? I think I added it to my wishlist.

On Steam and IOS now.

I had to laugh one of the reviews of Qvadriga said "If the romans played computer games Qvadriga would have been their Football Manager". After that kind of review how could I pass it up. That and the Rock Paper Shotgun review.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #2214
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

interesting that you mention Qvadriga because when I saw it as a new release on TouchArcade yesterday, I immediately added it to my watchlist as a game to possibly investigate and/or buy later later on... And that was without seeing any link to FM...

FM
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #2215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
On Steam and IOS now.

I had to laugh one of the reviews of Qvadriga said "If the romans played computer games Qvadriga would have been their Football Manager". After that kind of review how could I pass it up. That and the Rock Paper Shotgun review.

Yeah - I wishlisted in indeed.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #2216
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Qvadriga is on Steam as well. I might wait until it drops down to a reasonable price. $17 is a bit too much.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #2217
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A game that the kids and I have enjoyed that is free is Spaceteam. Each player has a control panel. You receive instructions that jay be for your panel or someone else's. To advance you must execute each instruction in a given time frame. It gets quite chaotic but is a hoot.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #2218
QuikSand
lolzcat

Qvadriga sounds very interesting. Seems like a no-brainer fit for the type who inhabit this joint.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #2219
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Qvadriga sounds very interesting. Seems like a no-brainer fit for the type who inhabit this joint.

I'm having fun with it on IOS. Reasonably difficult so far, as ive been able to eke out some successes to build up resources. The only thing I don't like is the lack of meaningful feedback related to damage to your horses or chariots during a race. It has definitely sucked up some of my time this weekend.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #2220
AlexB
Pro Starter

Does anybody know if there is a good baseball game similar to 9 Innings, but without the card building element, so you get more stable rosters?

Last edited by AlexB : 06-22-2014 at 04:20 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #2221
Baldric
n00b

Glengoyne - if you tap on the chariots, you can see how much "life" each horse, chariot, auriga has, yours and others, you can also see the upgrades each chariot has.

I have also had a bit of fun with the iOS version.
Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #2222
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

fwiw, with the World Cup going on, I felt like playing some soccer and FIFA14 is a lot of fun for a free game...

FM
Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #2223
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldric View Post
Glengoyne - if you tap on the chariots, you can see how much "life" each horse, chariot, auriga has, yours and others, you can also see the upgrades each chariot has.

I have also had a bit of fun with the iOS version.

Yeah once I played with it a bit when I wasn't watching the US or someone else play soccer, I started to really pick up on stuff. There is really a lot in the game. I started on a smallish track and figured some strategies that helped me compete, then I moved to a city with a longer circus and my "moves" actually didn't help at all. Then once I learned a bit about racing on a long track and actually upgraded my horses, I moved on to another short track. It turns out that some of the stuff that gets you wins on a long track actually proves quite deadly on a shorter circus.

A heck of a lot of fun, and it is holding my attention and getting me to buy in much more than most ipad games.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #2224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

We just won a free iPad mini.. so I'm searching for some good games. Anyone play Starbase Orion? It's a 4x game similar to MOO2 that came out a few years ago but it still being updated.

I think I'll grab it today.. maybe even get Civ Rev 2.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2225
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Remember Sword & Poker and Sword and Poker 2 from way back in this thread? No, you probably don't.

They were AWESOME games that mixed poker with a turn-based RPG. Great games. They disappeared and re-appeared a few times, which was apparently a bit odd... Anyway, KONAMI bought the license and made a free to play version with pretty nice graphics and what not, called Sword & Poker Adventures. (Touch Arcade: 'Sword & Poker Adventures' Launches Worldwide, Featuring $4.99 Unlimited Energy Unlock | Touch Arcade)

The FTP aspect is apparently like Candy Crush where you have only so many "bolts" you can spend, and many levels cost "bolts," and they regenerate over time. Apparently you can spend $4.99 and do away with this though in my time playing so far (early levels), I haven't had to do that. I may still throw them the money, though, to encourage this kind of behavior (plus the game looks pretty and is just as much fun as it was before).

I highly recommend it.

/tk
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #2226
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I loved both the Sword and Poker games. Will have to check it out!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #2227
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Remember Sword & Poker and Sword and Poker 2 from way back in this thread? No, you probably don't.

They were AWESOME games that mixed poker with a turn-based RPG. Great games. They disappeared and re-appeared a few times, which was apparently a bit odd... Anyway, KONAMI bought the license and made a free to play version with pretty nice graphics and what not, called Sword & Poker Adventures. (Touch Arcade: 'Sword & Poker Adventures' Launches Worldwide, Featuring $4.99 Unlimited Energy Unlock | Touch Arcade)

The FTP aspect is apparently like Candy Crush where you have only so many "bolts" you can spend, and many levels cost "bolts," and they regenerate over time. Apparently you can spend $4.99 and do away with this though in my time playing so far (early levels), I haven't had to do that. I may still throw them the money, though, to encourage this kind of behavior (plus the game looks pretty and is just as much fun as it was before).

I highly recommend it.

/tk

I enjoyed the gameplay, but I'm likely to stop playing. First, once you get to about level 5 you need 2 bolts to play and only get 10, so it is slow going. You get 1 bolt every 15 minutes.

However, my biggest issue is once I got past level 13, you need 10,000 gold or keys from your facebook friends. I only have about 3,000 gold, and it will take a long time to build up that much gold that it seems like a waste to keep replaying these same levels over and over again. I'm guessing at best I get 500 gold per level.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #2228
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly, I have to agree. I don't mind paying $4.99 for the unlimited bolts but the slow growth of gold and gems (and the outlandish cost to use them) is making this game stupid once you get past a fairly middling level. Alas.

/tk
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #2229
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone playing clash of the clans?

Both my kids are and have asked me to play with...seems like it could be fun to form an alliance and wreak havoc...but a lot of kids running around.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #2230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Both my kids are and have asked me to play with...seems like it could be fun to form an alliance and wreak havoc...but a lot of kids running around.

Clash of Clans is my favorite Ipad game right now, but I'm in a USC clan.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #2231
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I played it for a while. Lots of fun. A year after I gave it up it's still the most popular game among our students. I had little trouble finding a mature clan to join.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #2232
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My son has been playing Clash of Clans every day for at least a year now. He got two games, one on his iphone and one on the ipad. I think he just joined a random clan.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #2233
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

started playing Qvadriga yesterday and I can see it having some potential for keeping me entertained for a little while...

I have little what I'm doing mind you but it's fun

FM
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #2234
Buccaneer
Head Coach

With my love for adventure games, finally got around to playing the famous Machinarium. What I loved about it was how long it was compared to other point/click adventure games. However, the port to iPad from windows/consoles/Linux was not that great. Lots of pixels hard to click and at least a couple of the mini games were very hard to play using touch (particularly the space invaders and pacman type games).
Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #2235
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

anybody will be tempted to pick up Blood Bowl for iPad?
'Blood Bowl' for iPad Finally Hits the App Store | Touch Arcade

I never played any version of the game but was always tempted by it...

FM
Old 08-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #2236
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

FM

Same story here, I'll almost surely buy it.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #2237
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

FM

I'm totally in! Always been intrigued by it...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #2238
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

FM

Sweet. Going to DL this later today.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #2239
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mau and I are looking for some members in our CoC war clan. If anyone is looking for a clan or wants to upgrade. We are at 43 war victories currently which is probably top 20 in CoC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #2240
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just started teaching myself Puerto Rico. Seems like a lot of choices but then I went through the really good tutorial three times. The first time to get a feel for the purpose. The second time was to understand the mechanics and what everything means. The third time to understand the strategy in choosing roles. Think I got it but wonder any advice here?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #2241
britrock88
Pro Starter

No advice for you, as it's been a while since I've played, but I'd play with you at boardgamearena.com .
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #2242
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Mau and I are looking for some members in our CoC war clan. If anyone is looking for a clan or wants to upgrade. We are at 43 war victories currently which is probably top 20 in CoC

I am totally new...just started a week or so back...about level 24 right now.
Not sure how much help Id be but Id join...even more so if we agree to attack my 13 year old son's clan
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #2243
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I just started teaching myself Puerto Rico. Seems like a lot of choices but then I went through the really good tutorial three times. The first time to get a feel for the purpose. The second time was to understand the mechanics and what everything means. The third time to understand the strategy in choosing roles. Think I got it but wonder any advice here?

What do you want to know? Not sure how much I want to spill, one of my gaming joys was learning the different strategies in PR. One of my all-time favorites.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #2244
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd be interested. What's your clan name?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #2245
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Ok, so has anyone bought and played Blood Bowl yet because the TouchArcade review of it is kinda crappy
Blood Bowl Review | Touch Arcade

Way that review is written, it's as useful as a review that would tell me that Football Manager is no good because it's not arcadish like FIFA14, heh.

Review writer doesn't look like he even knows what Blood Bowl is about.

Main question is: is this an accurate version of the game and is it fun to play?

FM
Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #2246
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, so has anyone bought and played Blood Bowl yet because the TouchArcade review of it is kinda crappy
Blood Bowl Review | Touch Arcade

Way that review is written, it's as useful as a review that would tell me that Football Manager is no good because it's not arcadish like FIFA14, heh.

Review writer doesn't look like he even knows what Blood Bowl is about.

Main question is: is this an accurate version of the game and is it fun to play?

FM

Read the comments to the review. It's extremely biased and while some of the opinions are true like the tutorial is inadequate, the game is a pretty faithful representation of the board game. If you like that or the PC version, I'd get it. I bought the game and all of the other teams.

All this being said, I'm having a lot of fun losing games. When I win, it'll probably be more fun. I'd recommend looking at the game thread on TA's message board.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #2247
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Read the comments to the review. It's extremely biased and while some of the opinions are true like the tutorial is inadequate, the game is a pretty faithful representation of the board game. If you like that or the PC version, I'd get it. I bought the game and all of the other teams.

All this being said, I'm having a lot of fun losing games. When I win, it'll probably be more fun. I'd recommend looking at the game thread on TA's message board.

that's pretty much what I meant, that the actual review was crappy, not that I thought it said the game was crappy. I read the comment and that's why I came here for an opinion because I knew we had many BB players around here...

I have never played Blood Bowl in any form before but have always been interested by it. I needed more an idea of if it was a good implementation of the game, which you say it is, so thanks for that.

I'll take a look at the game thread on TA too. Pretty disappointed with how the review was written but it's not the first time this has happened before. As I said, I've seen reviewers canning FM because they couldn't control the players or something like that...

Thanks!

For now though, I'm still having a good bit of fun with Qvadriga.

FM
Old 08-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #2248
Baldric
n00b

The important thing to note with the iOS version of Blood Bowl is that you only need to buy the other teams as IAP if you want to play as them. They are still your opponents. To me that makes it easy to buy to try, particularly if the game itself is of interest to you.
Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #2249
SegRat
High School Varsity

I'm assuming this will be out for apple and android phones.
Quote:
Social gaming company Zynga today announced a new brand to be known as Zynga Sports 365 with football and golf being the first projects under the umbrella. The NFL and NFLPA licenses have been secured for the football game and Tiger Woods has been partnered with for golf.
One of the names behind these games will be immediately recognizable to many Madden fans. Ian Cummings, who was the creative director for Madden NFL 10 through a good portion of ’12, is a design director at the new Zynga studio in Orlando along with other veterans of EA Sports.
NFL Showdown
The game is a manager-style mobile-first simulation game that offers sports enthusiasts a unique social experience that delivers authenticity, accessibility and competition. The game puts you in the thick of the action, letting you engage with your favorite teams and players 365 days a year, taking on the roles of Coach, General Manager and Owner as you manage your team to victory.
Tiger Woods
Golf’s massive global appeal and innate social nature lends itself well to mobile games and fosters the on-the-go competition we know you want. By combining Tiger Woods’ unparalleled golf insights with Zynga’s ability to create meaningful connections between players, we can develop truly unique social golf games that bring authenticity and accessibility to sports enthusiasts. We are looking forward to making our Tiger Woods golf game available to all of our players globally this year and giving our players and Tiger’s fans a new way to interact with their favorite golfer.
NFL Showdown is the immediate release with the expectation of going live worldwide by the start of the NFL regular season. It’s already available in some territories. The NFL has licensed out to various companies over the years as mobile and social have not been part of the exclusive agreement with EA Sports. The Tiger Woods game is planned for 2015. EA cut ties with Woods last year making him a free agent.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #2250
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
I'm assuming this will be out for apple and android phones.

All I see in there is "social...social...social" which = more spam for my FB wall and a shallow game with a focus on upselling you to spend money to succeed.

Blargh.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-08-2014 at 08:38 PM.