Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #2101
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
I picked it up about a week ago. I'm annoyed in that I can't seem to turn off notifications for them.

You can turn off notifications in the Notifications section of the general Settings app.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #2102
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
You can turn off notifications in the Notifications section of the general Settings app.

even after "don't allow" notifications from the original startup.. Sigh
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #2103
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Saw this, thought of you guys: 'Pocket Trains' Guide - Play Without Spending Real Money | Touch Arcade

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #2104
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm playing a bit of Pocket Trains. Best guess right now is that the big loot awarded for level advancement is hiding the game's underlying challenge.

I'm a little perplexed by the economy of train parts. Looks like one bux = roughly 200 coins in this game. And it costs 10 bux to open a crate to get a new part, so roughly 2000 coins. Then I get an option to repair my train by using a part, rather than spend about 1,000 coins. Not sure i see this as a well conceived economy, at least not yet.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #2105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

couple free games wtih which I've spent some time today...

App Shopper: Pocket Mine (Games)

App Shopper: Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (Games)

FM
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #2106
FBPro
College Starter

Don't know if this has been mentioned but looks decent.....

Dynasty Basketball
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025

Last edited by FBPro : 10-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #2107
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned but looks decent.....

Dynasty Basketball

I picked this up and started as an expansion team. After two seaons, I think I'm stuck. Maybe I missed something along the way, but I had to field my initial team with available free agents, or SCRUBS. As a result, we went 15-45 in year 1 and 16-44 in year 2. No one came to our games. So, in year 3, I have a roster of 8 players and a negative cash balance. As a result, I can't sign anyone to complete my roster.

Maybe I can sell (trade) a player or two to generate some cash, but that seems like a difficult proposition, given every other team has a full roster and the game is not dynamic enough to have the computer make a 2-1 deal and cut a player.

And even then, I'd have to sign lower priced talent, which would just seem to continue the vicious cycle of losing.

That rant aside, it seems like it could be a decent time waster. Pretty quick sim engine.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #2108
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Have a dumb question. I just read that Apple's share of the tablet market went from 60% down to 32%. Seems like tablets from Samsung, Acer and Lenovo are also popular. All I know about apps comes from Apple - are those same apps (like the games we all talk about here) available on those other tablets (which I assume are Android)?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #2109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Have a dumb question. I just read that Apple's share of the tablet market went from 60% down to 32%. Seems like tablets from Samsung, Acer and Lenovo are also popular. All I know about apps comes from Apple - are those same apps (like the games we all talk about here) available on those other tablets (which I assume are Android)?

Not the apple versions but an increasing number of games are coming out with an android version as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #2110
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I picked this up and started as an expansion team. After two seaons, I think I'm stuck. Maybe I missed something along the way, but I had to field my initial team with available free agents, or SCRUBS. As a result, we went 15-45 in year 1 and 16-44 in year 2. No one came to our games. So, in year 3, I have a roster of 8 players and a negative cash balance. As a result, I can't sign anyone to complete my roster.

Maybe I can sell (trade) a player or two to generate some cash, but that seems like a difficult proposition, given every other team has a full roster and the game is not dynamic enough to have the computer make a 2-1 deal and cut a player.

And even then, I'd have to sign lower priced talent, which would just seem to continue the vicious cycle of losing.

That rant aside, it seems like it could be a decent time waster. Pretty quick sim engine.

This game also wins the award for the most juvenile name database. Three seasons in and I've seen last names of "Doomee," "Leakypants," "Mammaries," "Jackoff" and "Fuchers." Oh and "World Peace."
Old 10-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #2111
Passacaglia
Coordinator

For anyone who's ever thought, "Stratego? I haven't played that in over 20 years, sounds fun." I found an app called iFog of War that lets you play it. You can save and load formations, so after setting up the board once, it becomes pretty painless. But it's pretty easy -- the AI only has three formations of its own, which makes finding the enemy flag pretty easy, plus it's not great with movement (but not horrible, either). I created one formation, and with it, I've never lost, so it was getting boring, but I just discovered there's an "Auto Fill" option, that just puts your pieces in randomly. That's making for some fun -- sure, you have a good idea where the enemy flag is, and you can take advantage of the AI, but if your 10 is surrounded by bombs with no easy way out, things get difficult. Since using that option, I'm 2-1, including a victory where my flag was placed front and center.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #2112
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Has anybody played the iOS version of the board game Caylus? If you have, have you played the "real life" version before the iOS version? I'm reading reviews that say that the tutorial is really hard to understand/not good enough. I bought the game and have a friend that wants to play, but I'm slightly afraid...

/tk
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #2113
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Has anybody played the iOS version of the board game Caylus? If you have, have you played the "real life" version before the iOS version? I'm reading reviews that say that the tutorial is really hard to understand/not good enough. I bought the game and have a friend that wants to play, but I'm slightly afraid...

/tk

I got it recently and started in on it, never having heard of it before. They have a good tutorial but I think one would have to go online to figure out why you would do something (like pass) or what makes a good choice. My problem, however, is that I have a hard time playing the game on an iPhone and would have to wait to play it on an iPad in order to see everything.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #2114
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'm playing a bit of Pocket Trains.

Still playing. Seeing some of the thinking now with the structural changes between planes and trains. I like it a bit, it's definitely my kind of thing.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2115
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Still playing. Seeing some of the thinking now with the structural changes between planes and trains. I like it a bit, it's definitely my kind of thing.

I play it on and off. Will sometimes look at the daily challenge and decide to really get to work on one. It's fun.

I want to get racing again with Real Racing 3 with the latest update. That's another which I've gone back every now and again.

Pocket Mine is my go-to timewaster right now...

fM
Old 10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #2116
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I got it recently and started in on it, never having heard of it before. They have a good tutorial but I think one would have to go online to figure out why you would do something (like pass) or what makes a good choice. My problem, however, is that I have a hard time playing the game on an iPhone and would have to wait to play it on an iPad in order to see everything.

Do you know (or does anybody) if it supports cross-device play like Carcassonne does? Like if I play one turn on my phone, could I do the next on my iPad?

/tk
Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #2117
digamma
Torchbearer

Big New Star Soccer update, which has some decent features, but really turns the game into a micro purchase explosion. Always really liked those guys, and I haven't minded supporting them with $$$ previously, but the extent to which you have to re-up your micropurchases to stay competitive in the game seems like overkill now.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #2118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

App Shopper: Paint it Back (Games)

I'm freaking hooked to this thing! It's your basic nonogram or picross game. Never really gave this type of game a second thought but this one's got me. Really appeals to my sense of deduction and logic. It's free to try for a few levels and I will unlock the whole game for 2.99 in a few minutes...

FM
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #2119
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Big New Star Soccer update, which has some decent features, but really turns the game into a micro purchase explosion. Always really liked those guys, and I haven't minded supporting them with $$$ previously, but the extent to which you have to re-up your micropurchases to stay competitive in the game seems like overkill now.

yup, the pendulum swung the other way making it unplayable.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #2120
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post

I'm freaking hooked to this thing! It's your basic nonogram or picross game. Never really gave this type of game a second thought but this one's got me. Really appeals to my sense of deduction and logic. It's free to try for a few levels and I will unlock the whole game for 2.99 in a few minutes...

FM

I love this one, too! I found it via TouchArcade's review. I love this kind of game, regardless. I'll finish it way too quickly, I'm sure.

/tk
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #2121
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

FM

Quote:
I love this one, too! I found it via TouchArcade's review. I love this kind of game, regardless. I'll finish it way too quickly, I'm sure.

/tk

It's a bit rough on my iPhone 4 but perfect on my iPad and teh iCloud save works perfectly!

FM
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #2122
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
yup, the pendulum swung the other way making it unplayable.

Just to redress the balance somewhat, i've updated and am really enjoying the game. No in app purchases at all, in PL by game age of 19. The first season or so was a struggle, but as long as you don't overtrain you're fine. Defintely harder, but definitely not unplayable.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #2123
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

New Star Soccer is definitely harder, in the sense that there is way more to keep on top of with the degrading skills and lifestyle objects. I am a bit split, I like the challenge some, but it is a tad annoying. I am leaning more toward enjoying the challenge though.

Another annoyance I have is that it seems you need to get a perfect 10.0 to get Star Man, and even then only if your team wins. It has been a while since I played the last version but I don't think it was quite that strict. As someone who is going for all of the achievements, it is kind of a pain.

The in-app purchases are ridiculous. 99 cents for 100 bux? That is nothing, especially when you get to the higher star levels.

All that said I am still enjoying the game. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into the last version and even this one so far.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #2124
QuikSand
lolzcat

My sense from original NSS was that a 10.0 rating and Star Man were the same thing, an IFF relationship.

Have only dabbled with the new version, but I like that I can launch multiple careers.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #2125
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
upgraded to the 5S from my 4S yesterday. However, the is a small thing on it that is driving me nuts. On my Settings icon, it has the red circle with a 1 in it on the upper right corner. I go into Settings, and I don't see anything that needs updating. I'm on 7.0.3, so it isn't telling me there is a new iOS version out there. Any other ideas on where to look?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #2126
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
upgraded to the 5S from my 4S yesterday. However, the is a small thing on it that is driving me nuts. On my Settings icon, it has the red circle with a 1 in it on the upper right corner. I go into Settings, and I don't see anything that needs updating. I'm on 7.0.3, so it isn't telling me there is a new iOS version out there. Any other ideas on where to look?

Hmm...that red circle indicates an OS update. I've never seen it indicate anything else. Are you sure you're running the latest version?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #2127
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The JRPG-esque but very cute game Costume Quest that came out on XBLA (and PSN?) last year or maybe the year before is out for iOS now. It's a cute-themed and reasonably deep (for a downloadable game) little RPG. It was on sale for $1.99, not sure if it still is.

I'm enjoying playing it though.

/tk
Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #2128
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

FM

Quote:

/tk

I missed these posts before, but I've been addicted to this game for the past week or so. Plus all of my daughters have gotten addicted to it too which surprised me greatly.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #2129
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I'm still playing and loving it. Getting into some more challenging pictures that force me to think about different ways to deduct it out...

FM
Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #2130
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm still playing and loving it. Getting into some more challenging pictures that force me to think about different ways to deduct it out...

FM

Similar experience here, but the more challenging puzzles typically force me to quit the stupid game and go surf YouTube videos....
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #2131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Which rooms are you at where you are getting to more challenging pictures?

Right now I am on the last picture in "Home Sweet home" and I've had a few more difficult ones, but still it just takes a little math in one spot in each painting to begin the chipping away of the rest. I find trying to solve one of the sides helps get things moving.

It hasn't been frustrating for me yet, instead I've found most of them pretty stimulating and enjoyable time wasters while watching tv.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #2132
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Oh, I'm only at "Animal Dilemmas" and while they are a bit more challenging, nothing's making me quit the game yet. I just hate it when I make a stupid mistake and realize it only later that it's not fitting anymore and I have to start over.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #2133
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Hmm...that red circle indicates an OS update. I've never seen it indicate anything else. Are you sure you're running the latest version?

Yep, 7.0.3. I've only seen it for OS updates as well. Still haven't figured out what it is trying to notify me about.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2134
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Football Heroes is getting some good reviews over on Touch Arcade so I'm going to give it a try....
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #2135
RainRaven
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Football Heroes is getting some good reviews over on Touch Arcade so I'm going to give it a try....

Just tried my first single player game and it has potential. Wish the half length was a bit longer but so far it's fun.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #2136
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm pretty certain that Tiny Death Star will move to the top of my iDle time queue now. I never played Tiny Tower for whatever reason, so I don't mind that this is (presumably) just a papered over version of that game. Very clever, though.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #2137
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post

I gave it a look, don't think it's for me.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #2138
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I played some football heroes for a bit.. just too much of an arcade tap fest for my tastes.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #2139
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

App Shopper: Devil's Attorney (Games)

free for the weekend, down from $2.99. It's a turn based battle type game where the battles happen in the court room. Got a satire style that gives it a fun vibe. You go back and forth with a prosecutor until you've shot down each of his witness or pieces of evidence, earning money on the way which can be used to upgrade your appartment, giving you character points that will make you level up, allowing to unlock some attacks that will become available in the courtroom... Only did one courtroom battle so far but it looks fun, and hey, it's free!

FM
Old 11-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #2140
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Devil's Attorney sounds like the Ace Detective games. I think I read somewhere that they are coming to iOS. Maybe I misread. I know that there's a new 3DS game in that series.

Can someone tell me what Football Heroes is? Yes, I can read it on TA, but you guys are usually more concise and better at finding the highs and lows.

I'm strongly considering FMH 2014, but I've been overwhelmed by that series in the past, feeling like I needed to play it with a notebook in hand...I dunno. I'm hoping to go back to work in 2.5 weeks or so, maybe it's not time to try to dig into a new game. Especially when it requires sitting up to play some of these "well" and that's still a bit of a challenge for me.

/tk
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2141
Izulde
Head Coach

Damn. Disappointed I miss the free Devil's Attorney weekend. Looks like fun.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #2142
digamma
Torchbearer

Devil's Attorney is not like the Ace Detective games. It is a math puzzle / RPG set in the court room. OK for an hour or two.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #2143
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I played some football heroes for a bit.. just too much of an arcade tap fest for my tastes.

I lasted two games.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #2144
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Is it good to assume that iPad version of older games (like Trade Mania 1) will all work well on the new iPad Air?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #2145
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Is it good to assume that iPad version of older games (like Trade Mania 1) will all work well on the new iPad Air?

yes
Old 11-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #2146
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

so, anybody picked up Pocket Stables from Kairosoft?

I really liked Grand Prix Story and I'm thinking the idea behind this one would be similar, only adapted to horses...

FM
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #2147
Izulde
Head Coach

I played the demo version on Android phone and it was a lot of fun from what I remember. So I'll definitely be picking it up now that it's on iDevices

Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #2148
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Lords of Waterdeep is out, the adaptation of the boardgame.

Flick Football Legends is quite good although the IAP elements are turning some people off.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #2149
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I think at this point there are several guys here like me who are going to buy any kairosoft game just to keep up with the collection.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #2150
Izulde
Head Coach

How do the size of Kairosoft games translate to iPad? The iTouch screen has been getting to feel claustrophobic lately.