Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Superbowl 40: Finally The Trash Talk Begins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2315169

PONTIAC, Mich. -- Steelers linebacker Joey Porter minded his manners and said nothing derogatory about the Seahawks during his first two days at the Super Bowl. That changed Wednesday after Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens effectively guaranteed a victory.

Porter said Stevens' remarks were all he needed to get him going for the Super Bowl.

"I've been asleep all week but now I got woke up," Porter said Wednesday. "I've got my first taste of blood and now I'm thirsty for more. Until now, it was 'Watch what I say,' 'I can't say this,' 'I can't say that,' 'Don't do anything silly,' but I'm ready now.

"You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said," Porter said. "I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words."

What agitated Porter were Stevens' comments Tuesday about Steelers star Jerome Bettis' much-publicized return to his hometown of Detroit to try to win a Super Bowl in what likely is his final season.

“ You look for the guys that say something that aren't supposed to say nothing, and I feel like he definitely was out of pocket to say what he said. I'm going to make sure he owns up to those words. ”
— Pittsburg LB Joey Porter, on Seattle TE Jerramy Stevens

"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.

Stevens also said Porter will have a difficult time whenever he is matched up with Seahawks All-Pro tackle Walter Jones.

"He had a huge game in the AFC championship game coming off the edge on the blitz," Stevens said of Porter. "I don't think he is going to have such an easy day against Walt, though."

Porter said Stevens' remarks made it even easier to get himself ready to play in his first Super Bowl.

"He's too soft to say something like that," Porter said. "He's going to have the opportunity to back up his words. I'm going to have the opportunity to back up my words. So, it's something I'm looking forward to and I'm ready to get going."

Porter also called Stevens "a first-round bust who barely made some plays this season." He also said a player of Stevens' stature "has a lot of nerve" to say what he said about Bettis.

Porter's outburst was the latest in a series of strong or inflammatory comments by him during these NFL playoffs.

He riled up the Colts during the divisional round by saying they relied on tricks and wouldn't play smashmouth football, then accused the NFL officiating crew of cheating the Steelers during their 21-18 upset of the Colts.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher subsequently cautioned Porter and other players about making comments that opposing teams might use for motivation. He also called Porter's officiating comments "ridiculous," and Porter subsequently had little to say before Pittsburgh's 34-17 victory over Denver in the AFC championship game.

Steelers players also were cautioned before the Super Bowl about not saying anything that the Seahawks could use for motivation, but Porter didn't seem to care.

"When a guy says something who lines up in front of me on every play, I have to like that," Porter said. "He has to see me. There's no way he can hide from me. We have to meet -- over and over and over. ... I'll remind him every time I put him on his back."

Porter also said he was going to remind his Steelers teammates repeatedly what was said.

"It was good to hear it, I needed that," Porter said. "He spoke out of turn right there."

And what might Cowher think of his comments?

"I do what I have do to get myself going and he likes to see me going," Porter said. "He knows once I get going, he knows what kind of player he's going to get. That's going to make me play at a high level."

The NFL did not fine Porter for his officiating comments. But the league issued a statement that one of the calls Porter was upset about in the Colts' game -- an apparent interception by Steelers safety Troy Polamalu -- was incorrectly overturned upon review.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And I gotta agree with Porter, Stevens has seemingly been a bust. I am kind of pumped he called him out on it.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Posting this thread was way out of pocket, mister.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

*yawn*
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

If you need someone from the other team to trash talk you to get you going for the Super Bowl, something's wrong.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I enjoy Porter when he's angry. Before the last few weeks, he hadnt been playing with much fire since he got shot in the ass.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

Meh, Stevens has finally shown this year that he's gotten his head turned on right. His numbers are up and he did a great job of stepping up (alongside Jurevicius) when Jackson and Engram went down. A lot of whether he's a bust or not will depend on how he performs next season, and while it may have been a comment he wishes he could have back, I get the feeling that Porter was waiting for just about any excuse to start up a tirade like this. Now he can tell Cowher that he didn't start it, just responded.

Always nice to see things getting a little testy heading up to the game though. In the end though, of what's been said to this point, Porter's would be the more derogatory (no matter whether you believe the statement to be true or not). Here's hoping Stevens holds his own in the blocking game and burns Porter a time or two if he faces him in coverage.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is the best he could find as far as "trash talk"?
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

He should have made a drunk reference regarding Stevens.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #10
Desnudo
Coordinator

The long time bad blood between Seattle and Pittsburg is finally beginning to boil. Porter was right about the Colts though.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

It is amazing how overblown this silly little tidbit has become. I am now assaulted with things like "BIG EXPLOSION IN WAR OF WORDS" and "BAD BLOOD SPILLS OVER" at every turn. The hype machine cranks onward. All over this:

Quote:
"It's a heartwarming story and all that, but it will be a sad day when he leaves without that trophy," said Stevens, who said later he wasn't guaranteeing a victory but was only saying what he felt.
OH MY GOD! HE HAS INDICATED CONFIDENCE IN HIS TEAM! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT! UNLEASH THE PORTER!
Old 02-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

WE WILL WIN TEH SUPABOWL!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
It is amazing how overblown this silly little tidbit has become. I am now assaulted with things like "BIG EXPLOSION IN WAR OF WORDS" and "BAD BLOOD SPILLS OVER" at every turn. The hype machine cranks onward. All over this:

OH MY GOD! HE HAS INDICATED CONFIDENCE IN HIS TEAM! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT! UNLEASH THE PORTER!

At least Joey doesn't have to think. You saw how mad he was at the Colts for making him think.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote