Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I like Mora too, always thought he'd make a pretty good college coach. He exceeded my expectations with the staff he's assembled at UCLA (though I'd caution you guys to not expect too much out of coach Meat's guys - he's a strong recruiter, but a terrible position coach).

You know, I remember you saying that before, and then last year's DBs were not too great, so that was what I was thinking with Coach Meat.

But actually the secondary has been excellent this year when it really has no reason to be. It's a unit with massive inexperience and guys who have had to overcome some obstacles (particularly injuries).

Keep in mind, Mora is a former DB and DB coach himself. I think it's quite likely he is helping out there, and Coach Meat is also learning from coaching under Mora.

As for last year, the unit was led by guys who had gone four years without improving but they still played because they were the most talented secondary players on the team (Price, Hester, Abbott, McDonald, etc.). Fact is, they weren't very good, so I am learning to put less weight in last year.

I think Coach Meat is getting better at the coaching part of the job.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #102
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think Coach Meat is getting better at the coaching part of the job.
I hope so for your guys' sake. And maybe I'm being unfair to Martin. It may well be that part of the reason his guys looked bad was the schemes that Holt asked them to play.

But I can tell you that our guys looked much, much better last year under Keith Heyward - they showed better fundamentals in terms of coverage, looking for the ball, avoiding PI calls, etc. Again, that could be because of the different schemes Wilcox prefers, but beyond that they just looked better-coached to me. And that's carried over to this year (though to be fair, they've looked bad in zone coverage).

I would hope that Mora is mentoring Martin. Meat is a terrific recruiter, so the only thing that would hold him back in his career is how good of a coach he is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #103
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Meat is overrated as a coach, but he's proving he can coach based on how the team is doing this year, surprisingly. That being said, I think he was a scapegoat for a lot of UW's problems, more than he probably deserve.

I think Mora's persona is better suited in LA than Seattle honestly. Seattle is a big place, but UW sports is one of the biggest things going in the PWN. Some of the things he's said/done will get micro-analyzed moreso up North than they will be down here.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote