Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #51
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The decision to put these teams in NFL cities outside of STL is really interesting to me. I guess they’ve done their research based on the AAF and XFLv1 but still... watching this game would it be better to build a fan base in TB or try to go for a market like Orlando where you are the only local football game in town?

Orlando was a USFL city. Great question.

I would love to hear the logic behind the city choices.

-

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #52
lungs
Pro Rookie

I thought the Tampa crowd looked slightly sparse before kickoff. Probably better than the Chargers though.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #53
bryce
High School Varsity

I didn't see any of the TB game, but turned on the DC-LA game for a bit, and I thought "good seats remained available" for that one in LA, if you will.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:01 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe both the impressions mentioned here AND okay attendance can both be true?

Week 3 total attendance for all games was the largest yet (thanks to St. Louis mostly) AND the crowd in LA was the smallest reported for any game to date.

fwiw ... Week 3 is critical for the XFL's TV views, but the XFL attendance is up!

Now if you wanted to dive one level deeper, maybe there's this to consider

Teams with two home games so far, first one vs second one
Houston - 17,815 vs 17,103 (down 4%)
Los Angeles- 14,975 vs 12,211 (down 18%)
Seattle - 29,172 vs 22,060 (down 24%)
D.C. - 17,163 vs 15,031 (down 12%)

If that trend continues as the season progresses, the camerawork will have to get pretty creative to hide it.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

St Louis will be down a bit I imagine, but not much. This city has embraced the Battlehawks. A FU to Enos and the NFL.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

XFL ratings decline in third week, continue to hold up better than 2001

Looks like there may be a trend developing

Week 1 games ranged from 2.5 to 3.4 million viewers, with 18-49 Rating of 0.9 to 1.1, 18-34 rating of 0.8 to 0.9

Week 2 games ranged from 1.3 to 2.4 million viewers, 18-49 Rtg of 0.5 to 0.6, 18-34 rating 0.4 to 0.6

Week 3 games ranged from 1.0 to 2.0 million viewers, 18-49 Rtg on 0.4 (rounded) to 0.6, 18-34 rating 0.3 to 0.5

The decline isn't nearly as sharp as the previous incarnation, but it sure does seem steady. And it's across the board.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #57
tarcone
Coordinator

There is talk of opening the upper bowl of the Dome in St Louis. The league thinks it will sell. I believe it will.

Great stories coming out of the home opener. The commish sat by a woman from St Louis at the Tampa game on Saturday who was flying to St Louis on Sunday to catch the opener. 3 college kids drove down on Sunday from Milwaukee to catch the game.

Could be a midwestern team in St Louis.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #58
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I checked out my first bit of action. The game sucked but all of the production was the type of stuff I’d love to see the NFL incorporate.

ESPECIALLY the instant replay officials stuff. It’s top notch.

Last edited by stevew : 03-10-2020 at 12:14 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #59
TLK
Pro Starter

Who would have guessed that this run would be even shorter than the first incarnation?

XFL suspends operations, all employees laid off | Wrestling News
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #60
Flasch186
Coordinator

Not sure that they could've foreseen a forced stoppage. Might be the best thing that ever happened to Vince.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #61
tarcone
Coordinator

BOOOOOOOO

The Battlehawks averaged 28,500 fans in their only 2 home games and were going to open up the upper ring of the dome.

What a bummer.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #62
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
BOOOOOOOO

The Battlehawks averaged 28,500 fans in their only 2 home games and were going to open up the upper ring of the dome.

What a bummer.

Yeah that is a bummer.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #63
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Very bad luck for the league. It actually looked like it had more promise than their first attempt (which was more WWE than football).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #64
tarcone
Coordinator

This league, IMO, should turn into the minor leagues for the NFL. The St Louis QB got picked up by the Chiefs. If the NFL were smart, they would back this league and use it as a training ground for players and coaches and referees.

Last edited by tarcone : 04-11-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #65
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This league, IMO, turned intot he minor leagues for the NFL. The St Louis QB got picked up by the Chiefs. If the NFL were smart, they would use this as a training ground for players and coaches and referees.

Why invest their time and money? They already have college football as a recruitment ground.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #66
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Why invest their time and money? They already have college football as a recruitment ground.

Because this would create a "practice" squad situation where teams have input, control and the ability to assist in development with the added bonus of players getting game experience against talent that is superior to the overall college experience for many of them.

It lets them hold onto to players they like that may be close to NFL talent, but not quite there or caught in a numbers crunch at a position with the team that owns their rights. Keeping it in the spring would also allow teams to assign players lower on the depth chart to the league for more experience.

On top of that the league could serve as a proving ground for rules changes the NFL is considering and could also serve as a gauge for future expansion choices. To me it is really a no brainer.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Not surprised it died, but given how much hype they were pushing, that's the last chance for spring football for a long while.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Because this would create a "practice" squad situation where teams have input, control and the ability to assist in development with the added bonus of players getting game experience against talent that is superior to the overall college experience for many of them.

It lets them hold onto to players they like that may be close to NFL talent, but not quite there or caught in a numbers crunch at a position with the team that owns their rights. Keeping it in the spring would also allow teams to assign players lower on the depth chart to the league for more experience.

On top of that the league could serve as a proving ground for rules changes the NFL is considering and could also serve as a gauge for future expansion choices. To me it is really a no brainer.

Your point about testing rule changes is the best. But otherwise how much money do you expect the league to invest in practice squad players? Especially in the face of all the talent that comes out of college every year?
Old 04-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #69
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Your point about testing rule changes is the best. But otherwise how much money do you expect the league to invest in practice squad players? Especially in the face of all the talent that comes out of college every year?

I really don't see that much of a change. Average XFL salary 55K equals a league payroll for players of 22.9 million. NFL squads have 10 players on the practice squad, so 320 on weekly basis that make 136K if they stay on the practice squad for all 17 weeks of the season making a total payroll of 43.5 million.

If you scale salaries like they do in the XFL and expand the practice squad for each team to 14 you could still pay an average salary of 97K to each player and have the same net salary output for players that are gaining more focused coaching and valuable in game experience.

Of course this doesn't include other operating expenses and coaches salaries, but much of the front office personnel could come from NFL franchises and the other costs can easily be absorbed across the league.

Just thoughts.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #70
tarcone
Coordinator

Makes too much sense, BYU, doesnt it?

And again, just like basball, your next OC or DC or HC could come from the league.

How many times have people complained about refs? Well, here you go. A training ground for your league.

There is a lot more to benefit the NFL than just players.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:26 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dick’s is blowing out all their XFL gear for 75% off. Bought a bunch of shirts for like 5-6.50$. Low risk outlay for some lounge gear.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #72
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson group purchases the XFL for 15M

What do you all think of the Rock buying the XFL?

Spoiler

But in all seriousness I really wanted the league to succeed and I thought it had a chance before the virus hit.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #73
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson group purchases the XFL for 15M

What do you all think of the Rock buying the XFL?

Spoiler

But in all seriousness I really wanted the league to succeed and I thought it had a chance before the virus hit.

I really thought it had some traction too, the games were enjoyable overall and it was a nice way to get a spring football fix. I thing 15 million is probably a sound investment and the thing is you don't have to start next spring, go to 2022 if the virus is not under control.

I would still work on involving the NFL somehow as I think it makes sense based on the numbers I posted below. Vince was generally despised in NFL circles due to the mockery of the game that was XFL 1st edition. Maybe this group may make some inroads, if they have those aspirations.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #74
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't think you can get very far without a specific connection to the NFL. They need to be a developmental league and an alternative to college. If they can get that going I think there's a good business.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #75
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think you can get very far without a specific connection to the NFL. They need to be a developmental league and an alternative to college. If they can get that going I think there's a good business.
Very much this. I can't see any league surviving without a link. I also can't understand the NFL's reluctance to sign on to a league.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 PM   #76
PilotMan
Head Coach

FOFC really dropped the ball on this one. We had our shot and pissed it away and now the Rock will never let us forget it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #77
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Very much this. I can't see any league surviving without a link. I also can't understand the NFL's reluctance to sign on to a league.

Why bother when colleges will do it for free?

But I think that is going to change as young players get more financial power.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:00 PM   #78
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So the new XFL starts today with the Vegas Vipers facing off against the Arlington Renegades. Anyone watching?
Old 02-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #79
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
So the new XFL starts today with the Vegas Vipers facing off against the Arlington Renegades. Anyone watching?
I am now that know it is on. No team in Atlanta means I'm less interested than I would be.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 05:20 AM   #80
bryce
High School Varsity

I watched quite a bit this weekend. I already enjoy it more than the USFL. Having actual home stadiums really helps aesthetically (24,000 in San Antonio, and the DC crowd looked decent as well), and I liked the rule tweaks.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #81
BYU 14
Coordinator

I love the XFL rule tweaks and the shorter play clock as well. Some fun games this weekend
Old 02-21-2023, 02:15 PM   #82
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't care about the football but how many rule tweaks or coverage innovations did the NFL take from the last iteration? Don't like the flag football 1/2/3 point PAT's but I love 4th & 15 over onside kicks and seeing Pereira cool and calmly get a review right then take the extra time to get down/distance/hash would cut down on a lot of the complaints about those. (Though I could see it getting real sketchy on closer calls and people arguing people are judging with a double standard - but they already do th at with "catches")
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #83
RainMaker
General Manager

The quality of play was much better than I expected. I love the Schiano Rule and how it came into play in one of the games. NFL should adopt that if they're going to continue to neuter onside kicks.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #84
cuervo72
Head Coach

I wish the uniforms weren't complete crap.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #85
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I have no idea if this is true.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:51 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I have no idea if this is true.

CBSsports article detailing his struggles makes me think it's kind of stretching it. He was a 3rd-stringer in the CFL and got injured in the USFL so I'm not sure that the former counts as "benching" so much as "riding the bench"
Old 02-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #87
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

If you could design a quarterback by committee and have no input whatsoever into how to put it together and install an AI, you'd get Paxton Lynch. Even the name seems architected.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #88
BYU 14
Coordinator

Pretty spot on description, million dollar talent with zero mental acuity for the game.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:54 AM   #89
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Even the name seems architected.

That does have a real 1980s video game create a player vibe to it, doesn't it?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:00 AM   #90
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Terrific draft pick for Denver. I know a lot of teams skipped him, but 20 or so picks later, Tennessee took Derrick Henry.

And of course, looking at QBs, Brissett went near the end of the 3rd and Dak near the end of the 4th. Even Jeff Driskel would have turned out to be a better value pick.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-22-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #91
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
That does have a real 1980s video game create a player vibe to it, doesn't it?

Actually, if you play TCY into the year 2076, all recruits eventually end up being named Paxton Lynch.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:32 AM   #92
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Terrific draft pick for Denver. I know a lot of teams skipped him, but 20 or so picks later, Tennessee took Derrick Henry.

And of course, looking at QBs, Brissett went near the end of the 3rd and Dak near the end of the 4th. Even Jeff Driskel would have turned out to be a better value pick.

Give Jerry credit also, he desperately wanted to trade up for Paxton Lynch but couldn't work out a deal with Denver so he had to settle for Dak.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:33 AM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The San Antonio team fired their VP of Operations today after one game. The guy was also the GM of the rugby team here in Austin that the league kicked out last year. Not a good run for this guy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:37 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The San Antonio team fired their VP of Operations today after one game. The guy was also the GM of the rugby team here in Austin that the league kicked out last year. Not a good run for this guy.

Same team also
Quote:
Just eight days after being named one of the San Antonio Brahmas’ two team captains on defense, linebacker Joel Dublanko has been released, the team announced Wednesday.

The Brahmas declined to elaborate on the reasoning for the move, with a team spokesperson calling it a “personnel decision.”

Though Dublanko was listed as a starting middle linebacker on San Antonio’s initial depth chart and was not mentioned on the team’s injury report, he did not appear in the Brahmas 18-15 loss to the St. Louis Battlehawks on Sunday in the Alamodome.