Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #8601
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I have no real desire to watch empty arena matches at this point.

I do - sincerely - respect the effort that various companies, workers, production crews, one & all made in producing that product. They tried.

In the end, it simply feels so off that it doesn't entertain me to watch.

Agree 100%.

They worked their asses off to try and make it work.

But it turns out that the crowd is essential.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #8602
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Howard Finkle passed away :-(

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-16-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:00 AM   #8603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Those who are fans of Botchamania should check out / keep an eye on the creator's Twitter (@maffewgregg). Vimeo is forcing him out because he "creates too much traffic" ... unless he'd like to pay them $10k annually.

His traffic? Averages 17.5k views per video there.

If that's "too much traffic" then, honestly, how does Vimeo even exist?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #8604
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Hardy curtain jerking on the MITB preshow.

I ain't sure that's exactly something I ever figured to be typing.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 PM   #8605
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And before 930p, MitB is over.

That was weird, certainly. But not nearly as awful as I feared.
Okay, aside from the two sorta murders.

It was never going to be "good"in any traditional sense, that was out the window. But it wasn't godawful.

And was significantly better than either night of Mania.
Old 05-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #8606
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
And before 930p, MitB is over.

That was weird, certainly. But not nearly as awful as I feared.
Okay, aside from the two sorta murders.

It was never going to be "good"in any traditional sense, that was out the window. But it wasn't godawful.

And was significantly better than either night of Mania.
I almost would have rather they just had a normal match on the roof. Yeah it was fun and the cameos were cool, but it just doesn't feel like wrestling. I'm kind of old school in that I'm not a huge fan of the pre-taped stuff anyway the way they are presenting it. I find it to be over edited. I appreciate the effort during this time, but in the regular matches I shouldn't be spotting cuts like it was a film. I say roll the tape and let them go mistakes and all.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:40 AM   #8607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
I almost would have rather they just had a normal match on the roof. Yeah it was fun and the cameos were cool, but it just doesn't feel like wrestling. I'm kind of old school in that I'm not a huge fan of the pre-taped stuff anyway the way they are presenting it. I find it to be over edited. I appreciate the effort during this time, but in the regular matches I shouldn't be spotting cuts like it was a film. I say roll the tape and let them go mistakes and all.

Someone tweeted something that I can't shake now that I've thought of it this way: the weakest part of MitB was the rooftop. The silliness that got them up there was more entertaining to watch, was the better part of the "match" overall.

I've been pretty steadfast in my verdict that "the no fans stuff simply doesn't work" and I really don't feel like that's changed for me. Even the best stuff -- Rollins v McIntyre at MitB for example -- leaves me feeling like "that would have been a good bit better if there was a crowd to play off of".

Just stop would be my preference at this point as a viewer ... but if the choices for this particular event was "do what they did" or "just do it traditionally", I feel like what they did was the better of two bad options. Or at least the more worth watching for me.

*full disclosure: I only watched it at all because the kid is home and is more inclined to bother logging into the Network. We watched mostly because of the trainwreck potential the match had, so anything short of mocking it mercilessly is a case of exceeding expectations.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:51 PM   #8608
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aaaand Seth Rollins has apparently screwed Becky Lynch out of her title
Old 05-11-2020, 10:24 PM   #8609
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess if there is a time to take off a year, it would be now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:08 AM   #8610
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wrestling with no fan reactions is really awkward to watch.

Last edited by stevew : 05-12-2020 at 12:09 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:45 AM   #8611
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jim Cornette discussing watching Tamina work for the first time

"She's supposed to be Jimmy Snuka's daughter, right? I suspect the milkman."
Old 05-14-2020, 04:41 AM   #8612
RainMaker
General Manager

Crazy thing is she has been with the company for a decade and is still terrible.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #8613
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Crazy thing is she has been with the company for a decade and is still terrible.

His question was whether she's ever attended a single training class, there or elsewhere.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #8614
RainMaker
General Manager

Did AEW have a small crowd? It seemed like it and despite it sounding like only 20-30 people, it made a huge difference. I need some kind of noise.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #8615
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

it's the other wrestlers
Old 05-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #8616
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Great random thing that some Cornette discussion made me think about.

All the now-familiar counter counter counter spots we see today, there really isn't enough in-the-moment reaction to it. You might see the frustration at the end of the sequence during the pose down that often follows but there really isn't enough visible/audible frustration as the sequence plays out.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #8617
RainMaker
General Manager

Speaking of Cornette, he broke down during the Owen episode in the most Cornette way possible. Just a quick string of expletives.

Streamable - free video publishing
Old 05-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #8618
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Speaking of Cornette, he broke down during the Owen episode in the most Cornette way possible. Just a quick string of expletives.

I'm kind of in the Bryan Alvarez camp on the Vice stuff. It's well done, but it's about the farthest thing from what I want to put myself through watching in the current climate. I simply ain't willing to put myself through the downer of the Owen ep nor the Benoit ep, not right now, maybe not ever.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #8619
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm kind of in the Bryan Alvarez camp on the Vice stuff. It's well done, but it's about the farthest thing from what I want to put myself through watching in the current climate. I simply ain't willing to put myself through the downer of the Owen ep nor the Benoit ep, not right now, maybe not ever.

Benoit one was a bummer and just re-hashed what we all knew. Owen was better because it came from Martha's perspective.

The show is a downer although they have some fun episodes like New Jack and the Brawl for All this season. I still can't believe the promos New Jack would cut down South.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #8620
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
I will say this, while obviously very emotional and sad, the Owen episode was amazing because it was the first time I really heard Martha and his children's perspective. I've long listened to the Hart family run down Martha and I really felt she came across well in the doc. She explained her motivations for everything and it made sense to me. I feel the other Harts almost felt like their loyalty to Pro wrestling was greater than their loyalty to Owen.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #8621
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
All the now-familiar counter counter counter spots we see today, there really isn't enough in-the-moment reaction to it. You might see the frustration at the end of the sequence during the pose down that often follows but there really isn't enough visible/audible frustration as the sequence plays out.
Yeah but they have to save all their frustration so they can look absolutely amazed beyond comprehension that somebody just kicked out of their finisher for the 14th PPV match in a row.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #8622
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You should at least listen to the post show discussion podcast Conrad Thompson does with the creators of DSotR.
Its distributed through his Jim Ross show. Very insightful and behidn the scenes story on how the sausage is made
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #8623
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You should at least listen to the post show discussion podcast Conrad Thompson does with the creators of DSotR.
Its distributed through his Jim Ross show. Very insightful and behidn the scenes story on how the sausage is made

Just so there's no mistake: I respect the quality of the work they're doing, me not watching is strictly a matter of my own emotional state.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:06 PM   #8624
miami_fan
Coordinator

I was looking at some clips of Mr Wrestling II on youtube and ended up getting into some Mid South clips. I was shocked to see the bumps that "old" Bill Watts was still taking at an advanced age. Then, I checked Wiki and based on his date of birth, "old" Bill Watts was in the advanced age range of 44-48 in the clips that I saw.

Perspective.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #8625
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Post-match reports say that Edge suffered a torn tricep during the filming of his match with Orton for Backlash.

That's just some shit luck right there
Old 06-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #8626
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watching the first New Japan empty house show

Umm ... yeah.

It actually impacts the in-ring segments less than everything else, in part because Japanese crowds are typically quiet for a lot of the match anyway. As shows go, it feels off in other places though.

Their commentary set-up was comical. Three person Japanese announce team arranged as Person-Large TV-Person. The person on the TV is actually on the opposite side of the room, and watching the other two try to figure out how to interact with the TV screen was awkward.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #8627
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, I'll note that most of the NJPW roster seems to have gained 7-15 pounds.

Very few seem to be immune to the Covid 15.

edit to add: Ishii vs Despe was G1 caliber. Heavier or not, that was first rate.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-17-2020 at 08:35 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:13 PM   #8628
RainMaker
General Manager

How do you get the NJPW events? I can't take much WWE and AEW is stale without a crowd.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #8629
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How do you get the NJPW events? I can't take much WWE and AEW is stale without a crowd.

Kid still has his NJPWWorld subscription active

We more than get our $ worth from it over the course of the year, tho this year is certainly not nearly the usual value obviously.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #8630
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Suzuki vs Nagata saw more bombs landed than WWII.

That NJ Cup match was just absurdly classic NJPW. Not bad at all for two guys that combine to be 104 years old.

It ain't a match for everybody, but if strike for strike is your style, that was a good 'un.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:37 AM   #8631
RainMaker
General Manager

So apparently Vince is running NXT which is why it sucks.now.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:52 AM   #8632
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Night ... whatever it is at this point ... Sho vs Shingo in the NJ Cup was a solid 4* match

Good storytelling in the looooong-term promotion sense.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:39 AM   #8633
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Night ... whatever it is at this point ... Sho vs Shingo in the NJ Cup was a solid 4* match

Good storytelling in the looooong-term promotion sense.

Obviously I'm behind on my NJPW, I thought Sho and Yo were lower midcarders in the tag team scene.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #8634
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Obviously I'm behind on my NJPW, I thought Sho and Yo were lower midcarders in the tag team scene.

Both get singles chances now & again in tournament action. This New Japan Cup that's underway is a pretty thin field honestly, so anyone who is in country & on the active roster is probably in it.

That match was almost certainly the best match of Sho's career to date, and I suspect it's probably dangerously close to his ceiling for capability.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #8635
RainMaker
General Manager

I never thought I'd say this but I kind of dig the Orange Cassidy character. They've actually kind of made it work.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #8636
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I never thought I'd say this but I kind of dig the Orange Cassidy character. They've actually kind of made it work.
The dude is fantastic. It's one of those things where I heard about him way before I ever saw him and figured I'd hate the gimmick, but he's so perfect at it. The PPV match with whatever Neville's called now was brilliant.

No idea if it can actually be more than a midcard act, but it's one of the best midcard acts I've ever seen.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #8637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tonight (i.e. Friday night Japan time), the semi finals of the New Japan Cup will air live on BS Asahi.

If I'm reading the translations correctly, this will mark the first time in 34 years that NJPW has aired live in primetime on regular Japanese television.

That's just kinda crazy to think about, given the number of hours we get weekly in the U.S.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:46 AM   #8638
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll avoid the outright spoiler and just say that I'm pretty sure NOBODY expected the surprise debut at NJPW Dominion tonight.

I'm also not sure more than two dozen people on the planet cared.

Either tonight's moves work better than I expect or it may be the beginning of the end for Gedo with the book.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #8639
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I DID NOT see that coming.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #8640
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On a lesser note from Dominion, I'm amazed at the free pass that's been given to the tag title match by the IWC.

For as bad as I thought the main event was, I felt like that tag match was one of the least interesting, least watchable matches I've seen in NJPW in several years of pretty steady viewing.

And given the participants -- Tanahashi+Ibushi vs Taichi+ZSJ -- that's stupifying. It was just ... poor.

Tied to that, perhaps, was earlier in the show Okada worked the strangest match I've ever seen him work. To the point that I seriously question whether he's healthy atm or if he's got an extended layoff coming. His offense was so soft, his lifts were glaringly assisted to the point of being obvious, everything in that match screamed "he's not healthy" to me.

Dominion was IMO simply not good at all.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-13-2020 at 03:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #8641
molson
General Manager

I checked the Wikipedia page for last night's WWE Extreme Rules event, just to take a quick peak at what's going on in that company. I kind of find it interesting when I drift away from wrestling for a while and peak back just to see who's getting pushed, who the champions are now, etc. And this match result looked intriguing:

"Seth Rollins defeated Rey Mysterio Eye for an Eye match. The match could only be won when one competitor extracted an eye of their opponent"

Now that is a serious stipulation. So I had to watch the match finish, and well, Rollins did win fair and square.

Streamable Video

I didn't catch this on the video, but, reddit always has you covered with relevant screen shots on stuff like this.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...wVXsAImhS9.png

Last edited by molson : 07-20-2020 at 11:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #8642
RainMaker
General Manager

Turned on the last 15 minutes of Raw and I have no idea what that was.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #8643
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Turned on the last 15 minutes of Raw and I have no idea what that was.

It'd been rumored for a good bit of the day. It's an ersatz fight club, run by Shane, with basically "realistic" brief no holds barred "fights" between various members of the roster. It's purportedly "somewhere backstage" at the Performance Center in an area with "limited access".

It's being reported as "something Vince wanted to have" but with little instruction to its structure or function. That bit fits well with the all-day rumors that the tapings today were "chaos".
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #8644
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It was flaming horseshit. If you're gonna try a "worked shoot" program, at least make it somewhat realistic. That it was framed as being a "real fight" made the pulled punches, jump cuts, and other nonsense so much more jarring. I guess in a world where no one has ever seen the UFC or any MMA at all, it may have been a curiosity, but omg what an abortion.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:44 PM   #8645
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
It'd been rumored for a good bit of the day. It's an ersatz fight club, run by Shane, with basically "realistic" brief no holds barred "fights" between various members of the roster. It's purportedly "somewhere backstage" at the Performance Center in an area with "limited access".

It's being reported as "something Vince wanted to have" but with little instruction to its structure or function. That bit fits well with the all-day rumors that the tapings today were "chaos".

Imagine not tuning in to WWE for months and that's all I saw. I guess they had strippers or pole dancers too. Dolph Ziggler of all people was beating the crap out of someone. It made no sense.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #8646
RainMaker
General Manager

Also isn't what they were doing just Chikara?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #8647
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Worse than Brawl for All?*

*To be fair, as much as the concept gets shit on today, I kind of enjoyed watching Bodacious Bart Gunn knock guys silly. If "Hands of Stone" Ronnie Garvin is World Championship material, you would think they could have done something better with the man with the real hands of stone. Instead they just had Butterbean kill him off.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #8648
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Worse than Brawl for All?*

*To be fair, as much as the concept gets shit on today, I kind of enjoyed watching Bodacious Bart Gunn knock guys silly. If "Hands of Stone" Ronnie Garvin is World Championship material, you would think they could have done something better with the man with the real hands of stone. Instead they just had Butterbean kill him off.

I just read an article about this. They killed Gunn, because Steve Williams was supposed to win, JR had been pimping him as unbeatable, and they were pissed when Gunn beat him, because they had already paid Williams the winners purse, and had to pay Gunn when he won too. So they buried him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #8649
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I just read an article about this. They killed Gunn, because Steve Williams was supposed to win, JR had been pimping him as unbeatable, and they were pissed when Gunn beat him, because they had already paid Williams the winners purse, and had to pay Gunn when he won too. So they buried him.

Watch the dark side of the ring episode on it and thr podcast was eye opening
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #8650
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Apparently Marty Jannety talked on facebook this morning to killing someone when he was 13 and the guy tried to molest him. He did this unprompted in the context of complaining about a falling out with his girlfriend.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-05-2020 at 10:19 AM.