Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #601
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola to get away from COVID talk:

This might be the year that I get rid of Sunday Ticket. The two Saints/Panthers games will be televised here. And then the Saints have so many primetime and late window games that they will be on regular TV more often than not.

Not sure if it is worth $300+ for the few games that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

I did that a couple of years ago and I really haven't minded. The Eagles were just on so much, between prime time, games vs the Redskins, games which were shown anyway because either WAS already played or wasn't playing so they put the Eagles on because they are a divisional rival, etc. I saw plenty of their games.

Add to that being able to watch Ravens games or to hate-watch the Redskins, plus Sunday/Monday/Thursday, I was fine. The only time I got annoyed was when the only game available involved the Patriots.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #602
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I did that a couple of years ago and I really haven't minded. The Eagles were just on so much, between prime time, games vs the Redskins, games which were shown anyway because either WAS already played or wasn't playing so they put the Eagles on because they are a divisional rival, etc. I saw plenty of their games.

Add to that being able to watch Ravens games or to hate-watch the Redskins, plus Sunday/Monday/Thursday, I was fine. The only time I got annoyed was when the only game available involved the Patriots.

You wouldn't like living in CT then. Pats, Jets, Giants on all the time.

I'd love to see more Falcons games, but when they're not good, I don't get to see them more than a few times a season.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-08-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #603
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This seems like an opportune time to mention the NUMBER ONE BIG SECRET SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS & NETWORKS DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW: streaming unlicensed sporting events is technically not illegal, as you are not making a full, permanent copy of the content and you are not making that performance public.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Is it obvious?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-08-2020 at 12:01 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #604
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

By streaming it aren't you making the performance public? Edited: Actually I guess that would on the streamer.

Disclaimer: I am a fan of extra toasted Cheeze-Its

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-08-2020 at 12:18 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #605
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The NFL makes so much money off the TV contracts that they will (IMO) play no matter what. They would take a hell of a hit if they can't sell tickets, but I think that they could survive.

Also, aren't most teams 100% season tickets? The teams already have the ticket money. Even if it isn't really safe to pack 70,000 people together, couldn't they just do it anyway, and if half the stadium is empty, they've still got the money.

I actually wonder if this will change the way people watch football. TBH I think it is pretty miserable to go to a game. Parking is a fortune, traffic, $20 beers, crowds, drunks, and you miss all the other games. My wife usually gets a suite for work once a year an I go then. When I lived in Seattle it wasn't too bad because we could use mass transit easily but in NY/NJ its a PITA and not worth it. I wonder if a lot of people who usually go to games will realize its a better experience from the couch.

Quote:
dola to get away from COVID talk:

This might be the year that I get rid of Sunday Ticket. The two Saints/Panthers games will be televised here. And then the Saints have so many primetime and late window games that they will be on regular TV more often than not.

Not sure if it is worth $300+ for the few games that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise.

When I had direct TV I would usually call them and either threaten to cancel or sign another year contract and they would give it to me. I also got it for a few years by complaining about no PAC 12 network
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #606
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Giants are so bad I watch Red Zone 90% of the time
Old 05-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #607
molson
General Manager

I love the NFL Rewind, I catch up on a game or two after midnight on Sunday or early Monday with liberal use of the DVR. I know that's not a preferred experience for most, but I very rarely watch sports live anyway unless I'm at a bar or something and then I'm not really paying attention.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #608
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, watching sports live is an exercise in torture when you consider the volume of commercials. I much prefer to record, let the game get ahead, and then try to catch up to live near the end. Now that PS Vue is dead, that method is pretty much out the window. Hulu is not as friendly with allowing you to zip through commercials.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-08-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:26 AM   #609
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Dov Kleiman on Twitter: "I found the exact moment from last year when @RobGronkowski decided he wants to quit retirement and come back to the NFL.

https://t.co/Z7MxlR46OU"
Old 05-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #610
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
By streaming it aren't you making the performance public? Edited: Actually I guess that would on the streamer.

Disclaimer: I am a fan of extra toasted Cheeze-Its

Disclaimer: I am too
Old 05-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #611
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Rams wore those ridiculous mis-toned uniforms for 2 years so they could wait and unveil these FCS level uniforms. Shame
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #612
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Rams wore those ridiculous mis-toned uniforms for 2 years so they could wait and unveil these FCS level uniforms. Shame

Yeah, what a shit show. All of the uniforms suck ass. And the worst thing is how\why do you fuck up the horns?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:54 PM   #613
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Los Angeles Rams on Twitter: "🔥🔥🔥… "
Old 05-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #614
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The blue on blue look is horrid. Blue with gold pants is hard to mess up but the number looks dumb. White on white looks like a pro bowl jersey. Maybe use white horns with that set and it’s merely dumb instead of ridiculous. The horn logo on the helmets is probably the least objectionable thing in the setup
Old 05-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #615
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Rams went from "These guys are going to win 30 Super Bowls with McVay and be the coolest team on the planet" to whatever the hell they are now in 2 years.

The uniform thing was so easy for them to not screw up. Just wear what you wore in 1984.

Or, if you want to go real retro, go 1968 Merlin Olsen style.

That's it. That's all you needed to do.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #616
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
whatever the hell they are now

lol
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #617
QuikSand
lolzcat

Honestly, when I get that misguided urge to play a "real NFL" eff-around career in FOF, that typically lasts about two seasons worth... I like to pick a team that just seems hopeless. Like Cincinnati or Miami or Jacksonville today, you know, a team that has a terrible foundation where I can come in and lay down the law and turn it all around.

A SuperBowl team from two seasons ago should not be on that list. But hell, they almost seem like one of those old SimCity scenario plays, where you were guaranteed to have a monster attack every so often. "Okay, challenge FOF career. Here, try to run a competitive football team, but twice or more a season your front office will make a horrible trade, or commit to a crippling and miserable contract. Go!"
Old 05-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #618
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Rams went from "These guys are going to win 30 Super Bowls with McVay and be the coolest team on the planet" to whatever the hell they are now in 2 years.

The uniform thing was so easy for them to not screw up. Just wear what you wore in 1984.

Or, if you want to go real retro, go 1968 Merlin Olsen style.

That's it. That's all you needed to do.

Its amazing what a difference a contrasting color on the collars would do, or even some stripes on the socks. It is like they were going for a color rush uniform and didn't go all the way. At least they didn't mess with the helmets, oh hell, they did...

As a fan, their front office is clueless.

It is incredible to me to think they were a missed last second FG against the Seahawks and a non-botched rookie assignment against the 49ers from making the playoffs last year, and seeing how there is now so much doom and gloom around the franchise.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #619
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Honestly, when I get that misguided urge to play a "real NFL" eff-around career in FOF, that typically lasts about two seasons worth... I like to pick a team that just seems hopeless. Like Cincinnati or Miami or Jacksonville today, you know, a team that has a terrible foundation where I can come in and lay down the law and turn it all around.

A SuperBowl team from two seasons ago should not be on that list. But hell, they almost seem like one of those old SimCity scenario plays, where you were guaranteed to have a monster attack every so often. "Okay, challenge FOF career. Here, try to run a competitive football team, but twice or more a season your front office will make a horrible trade, or commit to a crippling and miserable contract. Go!"

FOF Challenge Idea:

You play an SP career. And at some regularly occurring point, you get a FOF-savvy friend to come in as the "owner" and make one horrible front office move for you.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #620
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
FOF Challenge Idea:

You play an SP career. And at some regularly occurring point, you get a FOF-savvy friend to come in as the "owner" and make one horrible front office move for you.

Heh. Long long ago, the first (I think) edition of the GroupThink exercise (several of us on this forum dividing roles and jointly running a FOF franchise) included me nominally in the role of Team Owner, and I did a bit of that. I recall playing an Al Davis card and saying that we HAD to go out and sign the low-ratings scrub QB who by happenstance had been the Bowl MVP the season before our challenge started. Good times.

Wyoming Wildfire, baby. (Even though I wanted a Cheyenne Cutthroat Trout tbh) There's even a still-active user account styled after a player from that career, if I'm not mixing up my ages-ago references.

(Exercise for the reader: does anyone know what FOFCer is named for a player from a long-ago multi-person career?)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #621
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A SuperBowl team from two seasons ago should not be on that list. But hell, they almost seem like one of those old SimCity scenario plays, where you were guaranteed to have a monster attack every so often.

Ah, memories

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #622
tarcone
Coordinator

You know who owns the Rams, right? Enos buries every sports team he owns. He just wants the land that the stadiums are built on. That is the investment, not the team.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #623
sabotai
General Manager

NFL's Deandre Baker & Quinton Dunbar Accused Of Armed Robbery, Warrants Issued

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa da fuck?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #624
RendeR
Coordinator

idjits
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #625
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Two thoughts:

1. How did they expect to get away with it? People knew them personally. They weren't robbing strangers.

2. I wonder if we might see a few more stories like this this offseason because of the lack of offseason programs, etc.. Less structure might not be good for some guys.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-15-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #626
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
(Exercise for the reader: does anyone know what FOFCer is named for a player from a long-ago multi-person career?)

I finally looked it up out of curiosity. That's really neat.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #627
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have to wonder if this robbery is one of those situations of guys stealing back their own stuff.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #628
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have to wonder if this robbery is one of those situations of guys stealing back their own stuff.

That worked out well for OJ.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #629
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Two thoughts:

1. How did they expect to get away with it? People knew them personally. They weren't robbing strangers.

2. I wonder if we might see a few more stories like this this offseason because of the lack of offseason programs, etc.. Less structure might not be good for some guys.

1. The players expected their victims to act in a similar manner as the players did when they were robbed. I would bet the players can identify who robbed them. The rules of the game say you don't go to the police you handle things yourself.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:50 AM   #630
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
1. The players expected their victims to act in a similar manner as the players did when they were robbed. I would bet the players can identify who robbed them. The rules of the game say you don't go to the police you handle things yourself.

That makes sense. It's still pretty stupid/risky. But it's a least a plan.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #631
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

According to the article the players lost their stuff due to gambling, not robbed at gunpoint like they allegedly perpetrated. Not sure if "similar manner" applies here.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #632
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
According to the article the players lost their stuff due to gambling, not robbed at gunpoint like they allegedly perpetrated. Not sure if "similar manner" applies here.

Quote:
One witness told cops they had met Baker and Dunbar at a party a few days earlier in Miami -- at which the NFL players had "lost" around $70,000.

Our sources tell us the men had "lost" the money in high-stakes card games and other forms of gambling.

Emphasis is mine.

Ummm, what is the best way to put this?

"Local sources" familiar with the first party have told me that there are reasons why the word lost is in quotation marks in this article.

YMMV
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #633
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

NFL to propose Rooney Rule change that includes draft-pick incentives for minority hiring, per report - CBSSports.com

Seriously? So NFL owners are basically admitting that they are so racist that they need extra draft picks to hire minorities?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #634
JPhillips
General Manager

Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #635
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I did not have Josh Allen pegged as the woke liberal in the Bills QB room. But 2020 is weird:

Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #636
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I did not have Josh Allen pegged as the woke liberal in the Bills QB room. But 2020 is weird:

Can I be angry and not surprised at the same time?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #637
AlexB
Pro Starter

A few training camps will be extra-interesting this year.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #638
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I will put this here, rather than the other thread:

Cold blooded.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #639
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Heh. Long long ago, the first (I think) edition of the GroupThink exercise (several of us on this forum dividing roles and jointly running a FOF franchise) included me nominally in the role of Team Owner, and I did a bit of that. I recall playing an Al Davis card and saying that we HAD to go out and sign the low-ratings scrub QB who by happenstance had been the Bowl MVP the season before our challenge started. Good times.

Wyoming Wildfire, baby. (Even though I wanted a Cheyenne Cutthroat Trout tbh) There's even a still-active user account styled after a player from that career, if I'm not mixing up my ages-ago references.

Okay, non-requested spoiler. The total bum SuperBowl MVP QB from some team who was a must-sign by the fledgling Wyoming Wildfire was... Julio Riddols.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #640
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh right, I forgot to answer. Knew that, even though it predated me.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #641
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Of course Trump comes out in vocal support for Brees, long after Brees has apologized.

I am reminded again of those heady days, like two weeks ago, when Trump was going to court the black vote. So far so good.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #642
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who is "we", Rog?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #643
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Who is "we", Rog?

Heh, when you put it that way, it really doesn't sound so good.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-05-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #644
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Heh, when you put it that way, it really doesn't sound so goo.

Uncomfortable conversations my friend
Old 06-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #645
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The NFL does not blow its nose without seeing how it will play with the public.

I wonder what their internal numbers are showing them.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:32 PM   #646
miami_fan
Coordinator

The cynic in me says the owners threw this out there now so that it can be referred to by the owners when they have to get back in front of the press. Then, they will direct all questions that will come about Kapernick, protests on the field, etc. to their GMs and coaching staffs because it would be irresponsible for the owners to get involved with on field football decisions.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #647
rjolley
College Starter

They put that out there because the players put out their version earlier. Otherwise, I don't think you get a statement like that from the league.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #648
kingfc22
Head Coach

I don’t even know which thread to put this anymore as they are blending together but Drew Brees on Instagram this evening to Trump:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBE4y_9H...d=e6jf1k8ijvbg
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #649
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
They put that out there because the players put out their version earlier. Otherwise, I don't think you get a statement like that from the league.
The statement was almost word for word what the players video wanted them to say. Including "We, the NFL..."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #650
albionmoonlight
Head Coach