Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Rewatching Lost

Some interesting things scattered about in the first few episodes (I'm up to 5 so far). Jack saves Boone while they're both trying to save the girl in the water, Jack starts to take Boone back to the beach and Boone yells, "We have to go back." Intriguing. Lock saves Jack from falling down the cliff and as they both roll to their backs, the shot is very reminiscent of the series bookend scenes, except it's not just Jack laying there, it's Jack & John.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Is this something I should watch?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Also, I think the producers found a weird enjoyment in making poor Jorge Garcia run in every fucking scene he was in. I don't know how that dude never lost any weight.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post

Yes.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Still in episode 5, John tells Jack, "a leader can't lead, till he knows where he's going", as much as I thought the show went off the rails storyline wise at the end, this is an insane call forward to the series finale.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yes.

Counterpoint: Fuck no.

Even just the mention of Lost still makes me angry. "Oh yeah, we totally have an ending worked out!" "Oh yeah, it's totally not purgatory!"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Rewatch? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post

If you're fine watching a few great seasons that don't have payoff for the things they set up followed by several mediocre seasons, then yes.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

"Lost" is much better than people remember it to be.

I think mckerney's description is pretty spot on. Though I think even during the "several mediocre seasons" there were a number of great, compelling episodes and some fantastic characters.

A lot of shows, A LOT, tried to be "Lost" and none of them succeeded being anywhere good as it. Given the era it came out - when reality TV was king and there was very little in the way of good, compelling television outside of HBO - it was really impressive.

In fact, I am not sure there has been another network (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) drama that has really come close to it since then (it's possible, but I can't think of any off the top of my head), even with the less than satisfying ending.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

My favorite show of all time. Wasn't perfect but it was so emotional and the character dissections were great. Honestly can't see a show topping it for me. The episode where Desmond was going back and forth - and the ending to that episode - just wow.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I finally did watch the rest of this.

Season 4 was a masterpiece. Season 5 was a boring drawn out grind with no mystery anymore. Season 6 started to get back to coolness...then like the last 4 episodes...i went many many months of not watching them....

I wish I had stopped and never watched them...

Really ruined the entire series like nothing before
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
My favorite show of all time. Wasn't perfect but it was so emotional and the character dissections were great. Honestly can't see a show topping it for me. The episode where Desmond was going back and forth - and the ending to that episode - just wow.

The Constant...

Brother, that's the episode I speak of when I think how amazing season 4 was.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Also..

WAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTT

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 06-09-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That was one of the 2 or 3 episodes that I watched with Suicane while I visited him and it had us both in tears. I have no qualms in admitting that lol.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #15
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Really ruined the entire series like nothing before

+1

Disappointing does not even begin to describe the explanations provided in Season 6 to address 5 seasons of fascinating weirdness. Thinking about it still makes me upset.

And if anyone wants to buy seasons 1 through 5 from me, all in excellent condition, just let me know. Because of how they blew the ending of the show, I will never, ever bother to watch them again.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Also..

WAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTT

lol
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

we recently introduced it to the kids. it was fun for a while - that first season is one of the best seasons of TV ever - but by the time we got to season 4 even the kids were like "yeah, whatever". and I don't blame them.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
That was one of the 2 or 3 episodes that I watched with Suicane while I visited him and it had us both in tears. I have no qualms in admitting that lol.

did suicane hold you...
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #19
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

"Make your own kind of music....
siiiiiiiing your own special soooooooong..."
Old 06-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm kind of amazed at how much most of the actors' careers went nowhere afterwards...unless they just didn't do TV/movies anymore.

Only Michael Emerson (Ben) got more TV after with the crime show to my knowledge...

and Evengiline Lilly got some stuff...what was it I saw her on recently...animated movie? scifi show? trying to remember.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #21
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm kind of amazed at how much most of the actors' careers went nowhere afterwards...unless they just didn't do TV/movies anymore.

Only Michael Emerson (Ben) got more TV after with the crime show to my knowledge...

and Evengiline Lilly got some stuff...what was it I saw her on recently...animated movie? scifi show? trying to remember.

oh yeah. freaking lolhobbit movies
Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Still in episode 5, John tells Jack, "a leader can't lead, till he knows where he's going", as much as I thought the show went off the rails storyline wise at the end, this is an insane call forward to the series finale.

Rewatched it not that long ago. The first season or two are full of foreshadowing. Everyone thought (SPOILER!) the time travel stuff was just to stretch the series out, but there's a few obvious clues, from a few conversations between characters to one of the books Sawyer reads. It was a bit too much for me to be coincidental. I think they had that planned from the start.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #23
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Sometimes I'll still randomly think how much I miss this show. I really loved the mystery of it all while it was airing.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #24
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I've always wanted to watch this, despite hearing about a disappointing ending. Would it be appropriate for an 8 year old? She is very mature for her age (not like her brothers!)

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
I've always wanted to watch this, despite hearing about a disappointing ending.

If I watch something knowing that a lot of people were disappointed with the ending, it keeps my expectations down. So in a way, I end up enjoying it more.

Quote:
Would it be appropriate for an 8 year old? She is very mature for her age (not like her brothers!)

...Maybe? It was a network primetime show, so no swearing ("son of a bitch" is the worst...and it's said a lot), no gore (it involves a plane crash so lots of visible injuries, but no guts spilling out), no nudity. Still a good amount of violence, and a lot of implied sex and people talking about sex, scenes starting right after sex or ending right before...torture is talked about and implied....people tied up and held prisoner at times...

Now that I think about it, probably not for an 8 year old.

Last edited by sabotai : 06-09-2016 at 06:05 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #26
thesloppy
Pro Starter

There's all sorts of creepy stuff in Lost, 8-year old me would've been terrified!

....but this puppet also made 8-year old me cry and behind the couch, soooo:

Old 06-09-2016, 06:17 PM   #27
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
If I watch something knowing that a lot of people were disappointed with the ending, it keeps my expectations down. So in a way, I end up enjoying it more.

...Maybe? It was a network primetime show, so no swearing ("son of a bitch" is the worst...and it's said a lot), no gore (it involves a plane crash so lots of visible injuries, but no guts spilling out), no nudity. Still a good amount of violence, and a lot of implied sex and people talking about sex, scenes starting right after sex or ending right before...torture is talked about and implied....people tied up and held prisoner at times...

Sounds like a no for the 8 year old.

I watched How I met Your Mother after the whole thing aired and I knew how it ended and that there was a lot of disappointment. Watching it, particularly the last season, knowing how it ended, made the ending seem just about perfect to me. It ended almost exactly when he met the mother. I could see being annoyed if I watched it in real time though, so in this case watching it later made it better.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #28
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lost really was terrific in the beginning, and there probably is some value coming into it late with lowered expectations. As much as I would never watch it again, I probably shouldn't be arguing against it for folks who didn't catch it the first time around.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #29
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Constant might be my favorite anything, ever.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #30
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

this thought progression is
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #31
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Rewatched it not that long ago. The first season or two are full of foreshadowing. Everyone thought (SPOILER!) the time travel stuff was just to stretch the series out, but there's a few obvious clues, from a few conversations between characters to one of the books Sawyer reads. It was a bit too much for me to be coincidental. I think they had that planned from the start.

Exactly. I need to see the entire series in full, but I think a lot of the things that disappointed me the first time around, not be so disappointing with a clearer picture.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #32
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
There's all sorts of creepy stuff in Lost, 8-year old me would've been terrified!

....but this puppet also made 8-year old me cry and behind the couch, soooo:

omg me too....I was also terrified by the commercial for Screamers...."they're men turned inside out!"
Old 06-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #33
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Here are some things unsuitable for an 8 year old

1)
Spoiler

2)
Spoiler

3)
Spoiler

4)
Spoiler

5)
Spoiler

6)
Spoiler

7)
Spoiler

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-09-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

She was in Ant-Man.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #36
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I loved this show so goddamned much when it was still building things up.. Then the stupid writers strike really hurt the show.. Then the ending.

It was a Lindelof, all the way.

I wouldn't have cared if there was a supernatural explanation to the whole thing, but not purgatory. So much compelling TV, so many awesome questions that fueled so much awesome speculation.. All the fan theories I could read for days..

Lindelof'd.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #37
spleen1015
Coordinator

Spoiler

The great thing about Lost was the journey. Getting to talk about what was going on, reading the theories online for all those years, etc.

Lost is my 2nd all time show behind The Wire.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #38
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Lost is a really good show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #39
Suicane75
Coordinator

First real hiccup so far. Claire gets kidnapped and it's like, "Oh well, Claire got kidnapped and there appear to be other people on the Island, ho hum". I mean, it's two episodes later and nobody really seems to give a crap.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #40
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

mmmmmmmmm, Claire
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #41
Edward64
Head Coach

Got tired of the teasing. Stopped watching sometime in the second season.

I did watch the last couple finale episodes and remember having to google for an explanation.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #42
Suicane75
Coordinator

There is a laborious lull in the middle of the 1st season, about a 5 episode stretch where it just gets plodding and a little off track, but it recovers once the baby is born and shit starts to take form where the others are concerned. Sawyer telling Jack about meeting his father is such a great scene.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #43
Critch
lolzcat

Was there not something about Season 1 originally being 20 or 22 episodes and it wasnt til late on they expanded it so the writers had to churn out some time wasting episodes that didnt affect the story line. Not sure how much of that is urban legend, but it explained the season 1 boring stretch.

And I'm down with Lost being the greatest network drama, and a show I miss watching even if it did lose it eventually. May need a rewatch.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #44
Suicane75
Coordinator

Man, there were a ton of "just because", storyline conclusions and continuations. John needs to enter the numbers, then he doesn't. Then Ecko suddenly needs to enter the numbers and just leaves the church building to Charlie, just cause. And Charlie, damn man, he was annoying little git. There were a lot of little stories that I had totally forgotten about. Claire being Jacks sister, whatever happened to Miss Clue? Jin causing the death of Suns (lover?).

I also forgot how much I really didn't like the start of season 3. Cages...really?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 AM   #45
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ok, so season 4 and 5 were both strike shortened I guess, but man, season 4 was effing awesome. Switched things up just enough to add some freshness but stayed on the same story path.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 AM   #46
Suicane75
Coordinator

It's either time, or the amount of drugs I was doing at the time, but I don't remember a damn thing from season 4 up other than the basics. All the time travel whoopty doo and constant twists and turns that I had somehow convinced myself were sort of silly, are actually a boatload of fun. The narrative of Ben constantly not giving a fuck about other peoples fates is hella funny.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #47
Suicane75
Coordinator

Screw Charlie, Kate, Jack, Sawyer, even Hurley & Locke. The person I feel bad for is that poor Frank Lapedis. Man can't just do his damn job without the Island sucking him in.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 AM   #48
Suicane75
Coordinator

Miles losing his mind trying to explain things to Hurley, only for Hurley to completely befuddle him with a simple question about Ben not remembering anything is aces.