Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #351
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Heh. Media so desperate for new Patriots angles that "Brady's mom grew up in Minnesota" is now a thing. I guess after eleventy-billion Super Bowls, you start to dig deep.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #352
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's destined to become Pats/Vikes, where the Vikes go up by 17 at half, and the Pats lose half the offense due to cramps and the team has to dress ball boys to finish the game and Brady leads an epic comeback for the win, while simultaneously fucking all the virgins in Minneapolis so not only do the Vikes have to think about blowing it, but they have an entire city of little Tom Brady's running around for 20 years so they can never forget.

Fuck.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-21-2018 at 05:13 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #353
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Nantz is full on fan boy mode right now, arguing for the Amendola catch.

Im a bellichek fan but not a brady/pats fan.

But the last 5 minutes there were insufferable. I honestly think someone was jacking off in the booth.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #354
AlexB
Pro Starter

They just put up the stat that this will be NE’s 10th SB. Also on the list was PIT and DEN with 8 each too

That means exactly half the time NE/PIT/DEN are representing the AFC in the Super-Bowl.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:16 PM   #355
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's destined to become Pats/Vikes, where the Vikes go up by 17 at half, and the Pats lose half the offense due to cramps and the team has to dress ball boys to finish the game and Brady leads an epic comeback for the win, while simultaneously fucking all the virgins in Minneapolis so not only do the Vikes have to think about blowing it, but they have an entire city of little Tom Brady's running around for 20 years so they can never forget.

Fuck.

Made me LOL
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #356
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If it ends up being Pats-Vikings, I think I'll hope like hell that the Vikings win. But I don't know that I'm going to watch.

+1
Old 01-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #357
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Major league hold missed on the edge there

I think you are right but I am generally a "let the players decide the game" in those situations so I am good with the non-call there.

The Patriots did what the Patriots do.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #358
Thomkal
Head Coach

:::sigh:::
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #359
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Major league hold missed on the edge there

They weren't calling flags on the Pats today. Did they get called for a single penalty?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #360
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They weren't calling flags on the Pats today. Did they get called for a single penalty?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #361
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Really wanted the Jags to win that one; that way it would have guaranteed that whomever won the super bowl was going to be a first time winner.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #362
Butter
Coordinator

Patriots had 1 penalty for 10 yards. It all worked out.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #363
Butter
Coordinator

Is it just me or does it look like Troy Aikman just woke up?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #364
korme
Go Reds

The people saying they won't watch the Super Bowl because the Pats are in it are being flat out babies. The best team won the game, that's usually how sports works. Don't take your ball and go home just because the greatest QB of all-time did it again. Appreciate greatness. It's rare.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #365
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's early but this is looking pretty awful for the Eagles already.

And Keenum has made a couple really pretty throws.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-21-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #366
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

While the penalty numbers favoured the Patriots, I would say that it was a fairly well officiated game. Most of the calls that were penalties (and the calls that weren't) were pretty spot on, outside of the missed Holding at the end of the game and arguably the Defensive PI call late in the first half. Ramsey's PI call in the 2nd half looked like it was deserved however.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #367
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I watch the game because Al Michaels is doing it and this could be his last one
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 PM   #368
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What the hell is wrong with the field? And what the hell are the Eagles WRs doing?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #369
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
The people saying they won't watch the Super Bowl because the Pats are in it are being flat out babies. The best team won the game, that's usually how sports works. Don't take your ball and go home just because the greatest QB of all-time did it again. Appreciate greatness. It's rare.

Fuck that shit. It’s my time and my mental well-being. I don’t owe the NFL jack. I don’t enjoy watching the Patriots win time after time. Would you tell an Indiana Jones fan they had to watch Crystal Skull, Part II? Fuck no. So don’t lecture me on what I should watch.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #370
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Thanks Shane. You get it.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #371
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fuck that shit. It’s my time and my mental well-being. I don’t owe the NFL jack. I don’t enjoy watching the Patriots win time after time. Would you tell an Indiana Jones fan they had to watch Crystal Skull, Part II? Fuck no. So don’t lecture me on what I should watch.

You get it.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #372
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Now that was nice. Hopefully that changes the way this game goes.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #373
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Why should I appreciate proven cheaters?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #374
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We’re rooting for the Eagles here and Mrs. Buccaneer even got her Eagles shirt on.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #375
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I only know him from the Verizon ads, but I'd like to see Thomas Middleditch burned alive.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #376
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I have little interest in watching Brady vs. Foles or Keenum. If it was Ryan or Brees or Rogers, sure, but Brady crushing a journeyman isn't very exciting to me.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 PM   #377
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
While the penalty numbers favoured the Patriots, I would say that it was a fairly well officiated game. Most of the calls that were penalties (and the calls that weren't) were pretty spot on, outside of the missed Holding at the end of the game and arguably the Defensive PI call late in the first half. Ramsey's PI call in the 2nd half looked like it was deserved however.

I thought the Pats were very physical with Jags receivers in a game where tick tack DPI was being called on one team.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #378
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So about that Garoppolo trade...
Still looks necessary. Can't even imagine what a media circus the thumb thing would've been with Jimmy G, not Hoyer as the backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Bets on whether Gronk gets cleared? Even whether he enters the protocol?
I assumed he'd be waved through while concussed. But what is Gronk's baseline test, saying the number 69 & seeing if he immediately starts laughing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Church should be suspended for the Super Bowl if they get there. That’s about as blatant a head shot as it gets.
It was bad, but what could he do? Gronk was leaning down due to the pass, he didn't lead helmet to helmet, and if he really tried to pull up he would've been obliterated or looked like Marcus Williams. Or gone for the knees which is just as dangerous. Definitely a penalty, but despite the result it was called right
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'd agree with that. Anything with the Jags won't match up the same as the Pats in pure TV power. The bottom would be Jags-Eagles.
I'd say Eagles get more national attention than the Vikings.
Quote:
They’ve pointed out on our coverage regardless of fumble/no fumble, Jack shouldn’t have been blown dead as he was untouched once he gained possession. He would have had an open runback for the TD
He literally stripped Lewis while going to the ground and tackling him. I agree with the Jags getting possession, think it would have stood either way under the NFL rules, but unless Jack rolled on top of Lewis calling it down at the spot made sense.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #379
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I understand about not wanting to watch, I don't watch much of the playoffs because of the commercials. I went through the 49ers dynasty of the 1980s-90s as well as the current Alabama dynasty. While I do not like them, I can respect and appreciate their greatness (players, coaches, organizations). It's not often we can get to see consistent greatness in a hyper-competitive era. Besides, I love dynasties in all of sports, even if they are teams I do not like (I think it all started with Wooden's UCLA dynasty that made such an impression on me when I was a kid). I know others do not like dynasties and that's cool.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #380
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I have little interest in watching Brady vs. Foles or Keenum. If it was Ryan or Brees or Rogers, sure, but Brady crushing a journeyman isn't very exciting to me.
If Case Keenum is leading the Vikings in a Minnesota Superbowl that's not an interesting storyline? I get Patriots fatigue, but if you hate the Patriots you're not going to watch & hope they lose? I guess I just like football too much to actually ignore a game between two good teams.

Got texts saying the same stuff earlier "why are the Patriots happy about beating Blake Bortles?"... shurg, because we beat a good team to advance to the Super Bowl while coming from behind vs a great defense & missing our top two targets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I thought the Pats were very physical with Jags receivers in a game where tick tack DPI was being called on one team.
Haven't watched that all 22, but which ticky tack call? The Cooks one to end the first half was debatable, though I think that's called 80-90% of the time, but the others were a chokehold & a helmet to helmet vs Gronk.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #381
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

No one will ever convince me that Brady is the greatest QB, or even top 10.

Nor will anyone ever convince me that Belichick is NOT the greatest coach of all time.

If I'm starting a team that doesn't have Belichick as the coach, Brady is not my #1 pick.

But overall, I'm just really out of the NFL these days anyway, and this season sure didn't do anything to help it.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #382
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
If Case Keenum is leading the Vikings in a Minnesota Superbowl that's not an interesting storyline? I get Patriots fatigue, but if you hate the Patriots you're not going to watch & hope they lose? I guess I just like football too much to actually ignore a game between two good teams.

Got texts saying the same stuff earlier "why are the Patriots happy about beating Blake Bortles?"... shurg, because we beat a good team to advance to the Super Bowl while coming from behind vs a great defense & missing our top two targets?Haven't watched that all 22, but which ticky tack call? The Cooks one to end the first half was debatable, though I think that's called 80-90% of the time, but the others were a chokehold & a helmet to helmet vs Gronk.

The point spread won't be ridiculous, but what would the odds be for a Patriots loss against either team, 15-1, 20-1, 50-1? Belichick and Brady aren't going to lose to Case Keenum or Nick Foles.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #383
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Minnesota at home would have been an intriguing story, although it seems like that's not going to happen. So would have been Wentz vs. Brady, but what's the story line with Foles vs. Brady? A Rocky-esque narrative fits considering that it's Philadelphia, but Rocky lost.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #384
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I understand about not wanting to watch, I don't watch much of the playoffs because of the commercials. I went through the 49ers dynasty of the 1980s-90s as well as the current Alabama dynasty. While I do not like them, I can respect and appreciate their greatness (players, coaches, organizations). It's not often we can get to see consistent greatness in a hyper-competitive era. Besides, I love dynasties in all of sports, even if they are teams I do not like (I think it all started with Wooden's UCLA dynasty that made such an impression on me when I was a kid). I know others do not like dynasties and that's cool.

I begrudgingly agree. I don't love dynasties at all but have great appreciation for the greatness needed to build them. The last couple of years I have grown to really appreciate Belichick, his staff, the players, how they are developed and Brady especially. Seeing guys like Brady and Manning play has been pretty fortunate regardless of who we root for.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #385
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
The point spread won't be ridiculous, but what would the odds be for a Patriots lose against either team, 15-1, 20-1, 50-1? Belichick and Brady aren't going to lose to Case Keenum or Nick Foles.

I don't know. The Patriots were going up against the #1 pass defense short-handed, a team that matched well with them and could bring the pressure to disrupt their gameplan - and barely won against Bortles (I had given it a 50/50 chance of winning). Vikings and Eagles have a great front 7 plus can move the ball with a balanced offense down the field. I have doubts of the Patriots beating the Vikings on their home field, even with Keenum.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #386
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I would have thought hard about taking a shot at the end zone there instead of the field goal. Your offense is rolling, you're still up two scores if you fail...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #387
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The point spread won't be ridiculous, but what would the odds be for a Patriots lose against either team, 15-1, 20-1, 50-1? Belichick and Brady aren't going to lose to Case Keenum or Nick Foles.

I'm honestly not sure they'd lose in that scenario if you amputated Brady's throwing hand & made him use the other one.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #388
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The point spread won't be ridiculous, but what would the odds be for a Patriots loss against either team, 15-1, 20-1, 50-1? Belichick and Brady aren't going to lose to Case Keenum or Nick Foles.

They actually have posted odds of the super bowl matchups. Vikings(at home) were a 1 point fav against the Pats.

Did you miss the Pats game this afternoon against the Jags? Bortles isnt any better than Keenum or Foles.

Looks like another Vikings choke job! Being a fan of this franchise is so frustrating.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #389
molson
General Manager

Brady and Belichick have lost to Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco in the playoffs, there are no guarantees in the nfl.

And foles might actually be really good.

Last edited by molson : 01-21-2018 at 07:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #390
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #391
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Minnesota at home would have been an intriguing story, although it seems like that's not going to happen. So would have been Wentz vs. Brady, but what's the story line with Foles vs. Brady? A Rocky-esque narrative fits considering that it's Philadelphia, but Rocky lost.

If you consider Pats vs Eagles to be a rematch; Rocky did win in Rocky 2.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #392
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Furthering my earlier post, in my opinion, Patriots vs. Eagles is the least intriguing contest.

I thought Jags vs. Eagles or Jags vs. Vikings would have been interesting as both matchups are unproven quarterbacks trying to capture their franchises their first ever Super Bowls.

Pats vs. Vikings at least has the Vikings being the first franchise ever playing in a Super Bowl at home.

Pats vs. Eagles is just meh. I'll watch, but in my book the Patriots absolutely cemented their dynasty last year. I enjoy watching greatness to an extent but at this point there is nothing left to prove.

A New England win is really meaningless, outside of tying Pittsburgh for franchise championships which I don't put much value in.

Philly capturing their first title with Nick Foles would just seem... I dunno, odd. I mean, good for them I guess but it seems like he's just keeping Wentz' seat warm. Does Super Bowl winning QB Foles simply get relegated to the bench again next year? Is he good enough to actually have much trade value?
Old 01-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #393
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
If you consider Pats vs Eagles to be a rematch; Rocky did win in Rocky 2.

It only counts as a rematch if TO is there.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #394
PilotMan
Head Coach

Oh wow, this one is getting ugly. Didn't expect that.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #395
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

WOW! Foles exceeding all of my expectations!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #396
Thomkal
Head Coach

So much for the battle of the best defenses.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #397
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

And I get that, I do. I just disagree. I think part of the beauty in sports is the pain, is the sour. I watch the Steelers or Ravens win a SB and fucking hate it, but you watch so when you (hopefully) have a team that mirrors that success, it is that much sweeter, because of all of the bad times. It wouldn't feel right if I only watched sports when the teams I wanted to win got to play.

To each their own, sorry to upset you.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #398
miami_fan
Coordinator

So...uh... Nick Foles has a legit claim to the "Nobody believed in me" narrative huh?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #399
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
A New England win is really meaningless, outside of tying Pittsburgh for franchise championships which I don't put much value in.

That's the thing. I thought LAST year's win was already meaningless. We learned the Pats are really good, and have been forever? That's not news (Atlanta winning would have been). If they win again it's another year where I feel like you might have just not bothered with the season. We didn't learn anything new. You might as well have been watching a season of reruns.

I also don't think I'll reminisce twenty years from now and say, "man, you know what? I wish I would have seen MORE of the Patriots." I won't miss it, just like I don't miss the Niners of the 80s or the Cowboys of the 90s. With luck the NFL will still be around, and we'll have more great players and more great teams.

(My daughter just chimed in that "they need to nerf the Patriots." She's been playing Overwatch. But yeah, if you put it in video game terms - if I play against someone and keep losing, I'm not going to keep playing for very long, there's no point. Players may not feel that way, but I do as a spectator. It's part of the reason why I don't care about women's NCAA. Wow, UCONN won again? That is so new and exciting! Now, you might say "get better." I feel like at this point it's not a matter of teams needing to get better, it's just waiting for Brady and Belichick to get old. I'm ready for that.)
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #400
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So...uh... Nick Foles has a legit claim to the "Nobody believed in me" narrative huh?

Vikings staff was outcoached badly and the Eagles offensive line is a lot better than I expected. They are dominating the usually excellent Vikings defensive line.

Foles has played nearly a perfect game. Congrats to the Eagles and their fans.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote