Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #1351
bryce
High School Varsity

Just now getting started with this game and have two questions:

1) On my "Roster" screen, I have a player with position listed as SG. But when I go to my "Depth Chart" screen, his only legal position is SF... I assume the "Depth Chart" screen overrides? Is this a disconnect anyone else has noticed?

2) I understand redshirts, but I don't want to be caught offguard at the end of a season, so just to make sure I am reading the Years on a player right: If I am currently redshirting a sophomore, this year his Year shows So, and next year it will be, what, So* I assume? In other words, he would still have 3 full years of eligibility remaining?

Thanks in advance.

(As an aside, I can already see myself getting pulled into this game. With sports games, I usually like to just pick my favorite team and build with that team alone, but with this one I did the job offer route and only got one offer - Longwood University. I had never heard of it before, but I spent time yesterday on wikipedia learning all about the little LU Lancers in Farmville, Va...)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #1352
whomario
Pro Starter

1) you are setting the depth chart, you can "legalize" him to play any position you please

There is no "bonus" for a player in any position or a "natural" position. There´s a position a player played in HS which is his displayed position coming in, then his position on the roster screen and his profile changes acording to where he plays. If a PF plays mostly at C, his position will change acordingly but that doesn´t mean he couldn´t be a PF again.

You should only look at skills and height/weight. A frail 6´6 guy might be playing Center in highschool but might just be perfect to play Small Forward in College.
Or a 6´3 PG might make a great "Small Forward" in a 3 guard set (think Villanova)

2) yes, redshirt means he keeps his remaining eligibility while sitting out a year (1 extra year of practice)
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #1353
muns
Pro Starter

Still need more people to sign up the get the college league off the ground.

Fast Break Basketball Forum • View forum - Fast Break Basketball's College Association

2 articles went up about Radi, and Britrock who took UNC and Wake.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #1354
bryce
High School Varsity

Ah, interesting. I hadn't even tried changing all the eligible positions around. I'm so used to games setting them in stone and dropping ratings to 0 if guys play out of position. I like the flexibility!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #1355
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
(As an aside, I can already see myself getting pulled into this game. With sports games, I usually like to just pick my favorite team and build with that team alone, but with this one I did the job offer route and only got one offer - Longwood University. I had never heard of it before, but I spent time yesterday on wikipedia learning all about the little LU Lancers in Farmville, Va...)
Yeah, this is something I get into also - when I get job offers, I do research on the school and try to imagine if it's a school I'd want to represent (and could honestly sell to recruits) and a location I'd be OK with.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #1356
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2119.exe

Extract the files to your install directory. When you start the game it should say version 2.1.17 in the bottom left corner after applying the update.

Version 2.1.19
Fixes:
*The list of assistant coaches to hire should no longer show up blank when using non-english windows language settings (more fixes needed)
*Fixed a bug that could save a conference claiming it had 0 divisions. This caused issues with scheduling.
*Fixed the possibility of viewing a recruit from the perspective of another team including the option to perform recruiting actions for them.
*Fixed error 9 on historical stats leaders screen during the first season.
*Fixed conference sorting on screens: Player stats, Team Records, Historical Stats Leaders
*Fixed a case when cpu depth chart and strategy should have been used but were not.
*Fixed travel partner not switching properly when using next/previous in both default and current league editors.

Changes:
*Added the option to add/delete conferences in an active league
*Gave prestige level 4 teams a small boost in prestige
*Should be possible to double click teams on the historical team leaders screen now.
*Added opponent information to the tournament champs report.
*Added current team to the active coaches on the coach records screen
*Added the option to lock team prestige under league options.
*Added sorting to the coach list on the human coaches screen.

Still looking for any more info on possible causes of run time error 360 when changing screens using the left menu and error 9 while trying to create a 16 team conference.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 03-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #1357
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
J

Longwood is about 50 minutes west of me. It is essentially a teacher's college (my wife went back to school there to get her teaching certificate) and most folks around here can't believe men can go there today.

Farmville was one of the most racist places in the South, with many "Massive Resistance" incidents. Today it is essentially Longwood and Green Front furniture (most of the store fronts now).

Only sports star is former baseball player Michael Tucker.

Which does bring up a question I have, can Longwood or the other Indies, move to a conference if you have that turned on?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #1358
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I had an odd incident, perhaps, last night. In the regular season, I finished tied with Michigan at 14-2. Michigan was 26-7 overall, and my Ragin Cajuns were 26-8. My poll ranking was 15 to their 20, and RPI was much higher. The standings showed Michigan in the first slot, and #1 seed. I won the conf tournament, beating them.

Come conference movement time, Michigan moved up and I stayed in Conf USA. It did not really bother me, but I can see others getting their shorts all twisted about both teams finishing 14-2, having higher poll and RPI, winning the conf tourney, higher NCAA seed (4 to 7) but having the extra game loss putting the team second and not getting the promotion.

Simply something to think about.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #1359
britrock88
Pro Starter

That tiebreaker should be based on head-to-head results, then on factors such as overall record, rankings...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #1360
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
That tiebreaker should be based on head-to-head results, then on factors such as overall record, rankings...

Split.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #1361
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The first tiebreaker for standings is head to head. Basically it should go down the list performance vs 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc until the tie is broken. Season record should only come into play if you had the exact same record vs every conference team as the other team.

In the advancement case the tiebreaker is currently prestige although now that the standings are right it should probably be the official conference champ.

Last edited by HeavyReign : 03-01-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #1362
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
I had an odd incident, perhaps, last night. In the regular season, I finished tied with Michigan at 14-2. Michigan was 26-7 overall, and my Ragin Cajuns were 26-8. My poll ranking was 15 to their 20, and RPI was much higher. The standings showed Michigan in the first slot, and #1 seed. I won the conf tournament, beating them.

Come conference movement time, Michigan moved up and I stayed in Conf USA. It did not really bother me, but I can see others getting their shorts all twisted about both teams finishing 14-2, having higher poll and RPI, winning the conf tourney, higher NCAA seed (4 to 7) but having the extra game loss putting the team second and not getting the promotion.

Simply something to think about.

I believe conference movement is tied to prestige, so what were your respective prestige rankings?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #1363
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
The first tiebreaker for standings is head to head. Basically it should go down the list performance vs 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc until the tie is broken. Season record should only come into play if you had the exact same record vs every conference team as the other team.

In the advancement case the tiebreaker is currently prestige although now that the standings are right it should probably be the official conference champ.

Yes, Michigan has higher prestige. I thought that entered into it. I don't know the records versus the other conference members except the CUSA has an unbalanced schedule, so Michigan might have gone 2-0 versus the third place team, while I went 1-0.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #1364
henry296
College Starter

Here is an example of where the end game could be improved.

Down by 1 with 49 seconds left. I let them play it out hoping for a stop or worse case down 3 with about 15 seconds left. Other team misses gets rebounded and since autofoul is turned off, the foul doesn't take place until 0 seconds lefts on the clock.

I'm also trying to understand the clock on the scoreboard vs the PBP. In the above situation when the PBP stopped it said 2 seonds but the next PBP started with 0 seconds. What is the difference?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1365
heybrad
Norm!!!

Strange... I just had a player come off of academic suspension and he's immediately unhappy about his lack of playing time. Get better grades dude!

Last edited by heybrad : 03-02-2011 at 12:40 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #1366
Grego
Mascot

Quote:
Extract the files to your install directory. When you start the game it should say version 2.1.17 in the bottom left corner after applying the update.

I'm sure this is a dumb question. Where is this install directory located? The FBCB2010 exe file is located in the Fast Break College Basketball 2010 folder along w/ a images and schedule folder and a Fixes file, but no install directory.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #1367
britrock88
Pro Starter

The install directory is the folder in which the EXE file is located.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #1368
Grego
Mascot

Ok, I figured it out, and yes, that was a dumb question.....
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #1369
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm enjoying reading the boards over at Wolverine and seeing loyal DDS:CB players asking for features that are in FBCB2...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #1370
Comey
College Starter

Of course, why wouldn't they? I'm a loyal Wolverine guy and I enjoy FBCB a good bit. I play OOTP and PureSim. Just because I like one doesn't exclude me from liking another.

Competition is good for everyone.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #1371
britrock88
Pro Starter

Without having played DDS:CB, are there any outstanding features that FBCB doesn't have? I've noticed their recruiting seems more nuanced, but also lacks some of the very sensible features of FBCB's recruiting, such as having the cost of recruiting actions based directly on distance from campus.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #1372
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I just finished my third season and all three years the NCAA champ was a 4th seed or higher. While I can't check exactly since the brackets aren't saved, I think maybe 1 or 2 #1 seeds made the final four. I think history says about 30-40% of #1 seeds make the final four.

It just seems the results might be a just a bit too random. I coach all my games and it seems sometimes either my team or the other can't miss at shoot over 55% or other times the other team is in the bonus in less than 5 minutes.

Otherwise, I'm having lots of fun... just made my first tourney. All 5 starters will return although I graduated by top 3 reserves and haven't had deep recruiting classes. Usually 1 good player and a couple of scrubs.

Here is a link to Final 4 teams by seed:

NCAA Basketball - CBSSports.com

In the last 10 years 18 / 40 teams in the final four were #1 seeds. Additionally 10 were #2 seeds. Just about 3 of the 4 teams are 1 or 2 seeds. I haven't seen that in my game.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #1373
henry296
College Starter

I've got 2 players who often seem to get Technical's for arguing with the refs. I guess two questions:

1. Can I do anything to stop it?
2. Can I see anything when recruting that says they are prone to arguing?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #1374
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I've got 2 players who often seem to get Technical's for arguing with the refs. I guess two questions:

It's related to the intelligence of the player. I believe it's the same with taking charges (ie. smarter players take more charges) although I might be wrong on that one.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #1375
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:

In the last 10 years 18 / 40 teams in the final four were #1 seeds. Additionally 10 were #2 seeds. Just about 3 of the 4 teams are 1 or 2 seeds. I haven't seen that in my game.

The talent distribution in the starting rosters needs some work. That tends to skew the first few years for sure.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #1376
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:

Groundhog is right that intelligence is the key factor. Right now there isn't a way of punishing the player for doing it to try and make it not happen again.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #1377
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Well I don't have a ton of history to back it up but in the 3rd season of the IAA we just got to our final four and three #1 seeds have advanced and a #4 seed.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #1378
youcancallmeal
n00b

Quote:

Interesting, I've been trying to figure that out for a while. HeavyReign, would you consider putting in a one-game playoff on neutral floor for the Ivy championship tiebreaker? It came up last year in the multiplayer game and since there are only 8 teams in the league it would think it comes up pretty frequently.
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #1379
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I might be able to set that up as a conference tournament that is only scheduled if there is a tie.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #1380
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's a funny game this one. I find that whenever I have the least amount of confidence in my roster, they surprise me. I won the NCAA championship last season and lost 4 starters and my 6th man (3rd leading scorer), and 1 other scholarship player. I bring in 6 freshmen, and start the guys who were my bench depth last season, and are green-type JNR and SNRs, with my freshmen playing extended minutes off the bench. I expect this to be a rebuilding season.

Instead, we are 8-0 to start the year, have defeated two top-10 teams, and so far we are averaging over 95 points per game.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #1381
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Without having played DDS:CB, are there any outstanding features that FBCB doesn't have? I've noticed their recruiting seems more nuanced, but also lacks some of the very sensible features of FBCB's recruiting, such as having the cost of recruiting actions based directly on distance from campus.

It will be interesting to see what their game has to offer. I can't imagine it being as good as this game since it seems to have everything for me, but who knows.

I'll be honest though, the way Wolverine folks advertise their games using the "in your face approach" of our games (i.e. baseball and college basketball game) is the best most realistic games, has actually put me off in really trying them. It is fine to think your product is good, I just think it is a little over the top personally, but to each his own.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #1382
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
It will be interesting to see what their game has to offer. I can't imagine it being as good as this game since it seems to have everything for me, but who knows.

I'll be honest though, the way Wolverine folks advertise their games using the "in your face approach" of our games (i.e. baseball and college basketball game) is the best most realistic games, has actually put me off in really trying them. It is fine to think your product is good, I just think it is a little over the top personally, but to each his own.

I own several Wolverine Studios games (and GDS too), and I think it boils down to the stylistic difference between FBCB and DDS:CB. Some folks will prefer the former, others the later. They both do similar things, they just do it differently.

To my own personal tastes, I prefer FBCB. I love the game engine, the stats, and the history tracking. I love how quick it is to pick up and play, and the streamlined recruiting. It's simple, yet the results are anything but, and there really is a fair amount to consider strategy wise, or you can just hit 'recommend' if you prefer. I'm so fully absorbed in my long-running career that I don't think I will ever quit playing. Seriously, there isn't another game in existence that I've said that about.

DDS:CB fleshes out other aspects of the game and makes them more indepth. I definitely see the attraction to that, and there are certain aspects of the game that I really like quite a lot, but for my personal playing style, FBCB is my pick.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #1383
youcancallmeal
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It's a funny game this one. I find that whenever I have the least amount of confidence in my roster, they surprise me. I won the NCAA championship last season and lost 4 starters and my 6th man (3rd leading scorer), and 1 other scholarship player. I bring in 6 freshmen, and start the guys who were my bench depth last season, and are green-type JNR and SNRs, with my freshmen playing extended minutes off the bench. I expect this to be a rebuilding season.

Instead, we are 8-0 to start the year, have defeated two top-10 teams, and so far we are averaging over 95 points per game.

I agree. I find it works on the individual level too. I've had players who never lived up to their potential for reasons I can't explain, and players who consistently overperform, or for whom it suddenly "clicks" as they become juniors and seniors. I'm sure it's down to randomness/gaps in my understanding of the game, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

On the tiebreaker issue -- either I'm misunderstanding or there's something amiss. For example, in the MP league East Tennessee State and Mercer finished tied at 16-4. They split the head-to-head. In games against the 3rd place team, East Tennessee went 0-2, Mercer 2-0. But it was East Tenn. who won the tiebreaker and the #1 seed.

In terms of total wins, East Tenn. finished the regular season with 21 to Mercer's 20. I think this is the actual 2nd tiebreaker the game uses after head to head...this matches when I saw when I looked at it a few months ago.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #1384
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The talent distribution in the starting rosters needs some work. That tends to skew the first few years for sure.

Yes, I've been meaning to post that the starting rosters have too much talent at all levels. Too many blues in the lower leagues. I thought that might be caused by scouting error, but then those guys got drafted, so it wasn't that.

It does work its way to what I'd expect in the fourth or fifth season when all the rosters are the result of recruiting, not original talent. I may try simming ten years, then starting.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #1385
Groundhog
Coordinator

If people are interested I can upload my files (with 1936-2003 in simulated history) to use as starting files. It includes the 3pt shot being enabled in 86. Prestiges will have updated from the original game, but there might be an option to restore them? I can't recall.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #1386
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

Although, the conferences/teams will also match 2003 IRL too, so there'd be some work to update them.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-03-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #1387
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
I agree. I find it works on the individual level too. I've had players who never lived up to their potential for reasons I can't explain, and players who consistently overperform, or for whom it suddenly "clicks" as they become juniors and seniors. I'm sure it's down to randomness/gaps in my understanding of the game, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

Defintely. One of the biggest adjustments when taking a low prestige team up the chain is resisting the temptation to sign those 4 and 5 star guys who are now interested. Some of my most disappointing players have been the highly rated guys who did little and then left as sophomores, compared to the lower rated 3-star guys who blossom into complete players as seniors.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #1388
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I've never played a text sports game that reaches the perfect balance between detail and speed/ease of play that this one does. Brian has a unique talent for knowing exactly where that line is.

I love FOF, but that whole pre-draft interview preparation sequence, and preseason? Both drags. The rest of the game is fun, but you definitely have to muddle through these parts. LOVE OOTP, but the draft (which I don't trust the AI to run for me)... a drag. Plus, as much as I personally enjoy micromanaging my whole org down to rookie ball, still can be a slog sometimes. Nothing against those games. Most sports games have a few steps that aren't fun to do. I still enjoy the hell out of them.

But this game really has no slow points. The closest thing to it is, I guess, the preseason allocation of training points, but even that isn't that bad and doesn't take long at all. Recruiting is fun. The season is fun and has such a realistic-feeling ebb and flow to it. Hell, even scheduling is fun in May/June. I'm pretty amazed that the sequel has turned out to be better than the first version. I was pretty worried that that would've been impossible.

I could go on all day with stories about my FBCB careers. They've been so varied, from taking the last guy's 13-16 talent at Richmond on a magical ride to the national title game within two years, to another career where I got my ass fired at the University of Buffalo because I just couldn't find the right mix of guys for whatever reason. The ecstasy of overachieving with a team, and the despair of feeling like you've lost an underachieving team as a season goes down the toilet, feel awfully authentic for what is just a freakin text sim.

Last edited by LloydLungs : 03-03-2011 at 09:51 PM.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #1389
Groundhog
Coordinator

The only issues - or missing features, to be exact - I had with the original game was that too few guys declared (and did it pre-season), and that there were no transfers. Both are in the game now.

I'm sitting here wondering what possibly else I'd like to see in the game right how, and the only thing I can think of is greater interaction with the next pro game when it comes out. I guess enhanced strategy (offensive schemes - dribble-drive, Princeton offense, etc.) would be nice, but not if it changed the way things work too much. I feel like you can loosely structure those offenses based on the other settings in the game currently.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #1390
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm sitting here wondering what possibly else I'd like to see in the game right how, and the only thing I can think of is greater interaction with the next pro game when it comes out.

My mouth has been watering for a long time at the thought of Brian doing an updated pro game. His first effort was fun but had a finite life span. A new one with the engine/feel of FBCB... wow. I suspect that DDS has a really good pro game, but I never got into it because of a very basic failing -- it doesn't let you sim a year or two and then take over the franchise of your choice. I know you'd be able to do that in a new FBB, and the ability to meld it with FBCB and continue guys' careers after they leave college... yeah.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #1391
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
On the tiebreaker issue -- either I'm misunderstanding or there's something amiss. For example, in the MP league East Tennessee State and Mercer finished tied at 16-4. They split the head-to-head. In games against the 3rd place team, East Tennessee went 0-2, Mercer 2-0. But it was East Tenn. who won the tiebreaker and the #1 seed.

If there's a save with this still I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. Was there by chance a tie for 3rd as well?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #1392
youcancallmeal
n00b

No tie for 3rd. This came from this afternoon's sim so it's all still up on radii's site.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #1393
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Thanks I did find a flaw in the process and it is now fixed.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #1394
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

What I'd like to see added is an option to display the stats adjusted to '30 minutes played'. That makes comparisons between players a bit easier. The DDS games have this, and it is my most used screen in those games.

Having the initial player pool too good made the game a bit tougher to learn. I had to get past the notion I needed blue players to compete at St Peter's. Now at LA-Lafayette, I can see 5 green starters will get me to the top spot. That means I can shoot much lower on the recruiting targets.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #1395
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

A few notes from three careers stitched together, united by a common start (quick simmed from 2000-09):

#1 - PRESBYTERIAN (2010-34)

* I was fired twice, in '13 and '22. I re-took the same job both times, because I could and I wanted to.
* Conferences:

2010-17 - Big South
2018-21 - MEAC (don't ask how I did there...)
2022-25 - Big South
2026-34 - SWAC

I had limited conference movement on.

* I was conference coach of the year in '15, '29, and '32
* Won the conference title outright in '32, but lost the tourney and lost the NIT 1st round game (#8 seed). 14-4 in-conference, 2-11 outside - interesting split there.
* Came in 2nd in '29, but won the tourney. Got crushed by Pitt, 73-41 as the 16th seed in the South.
* Got my first NBA draft pick ever! Antione Henderson was a *** from Florida and rated as the #348 recruit in '20. It was something of a coup for us to get him. He came in with a pretty inside shot, started right away for us, and got even better. There were whispers he would have been drafted in the late 1st round his sophomore year, but he didn't go. He did go after his junior year, where he was outstanding when he wasn't hurt (he missed half the season with an injury). He was drafted #24 overall.
* Prestige went from 6 to 23

#2 - ALABAMA (2010)

* I had the national POTY. Frenchie SG Jules Plancque did a lot for us - 18.7 PPG, 5.0 boards, 6.6 assists, 0.9 steals - but there had to have been better players around. Anyway, he only helped a little - Bama went 18-14, got an at-large bid to the big dance at #11, and lost in the first round. We were 7-9 in conference, and I don't remember how we did in the SEC tournament (other than the fact we didn't win).
* This was a nice team, but not really the sort of challenge I enjoy. So I started over with...

#3 - NJIT to Prairie View to Western Michigan to Idaho (2010-present)

NJIT (2010-21)

* Prestige went from 6 to 11
* Won the conference tournament in '18. Conference record was 3-9 and overall record was 11-22. Not too good, but got hot at exactly the right time. The Great West doesn't receive an auto bid, and nobody deemed us worthy of consideration. I wonder why...
* We went 15-16 in '16, which is as close as I got to .500 there
* I won the regular season Great West title in '17 and '21. No NIT bid either, though I was named conference coach of the year in '21.
* I left after that year to pursue an opportunity at Prairie View. Better prestige, better conference, and an auto bid to the dance.

PRAIRIE VIEW (2022-25)

* Win totals - 19, 15, 12, 6. I don't think anyone could survive that sequence, and I didn't - got fired after the '25 season.
* The '22 team was my best overall, so far - 19-12, 13-5 in conference. I didn't win the tourney, so no NCAA bid. An RPI of 127 precluded an NIT bid. I don't have any third or fourth-tier tourneys in my league, so we stayed home that year.
* Prestige was 26 when I arrived, and 26 when I left.

WESTERN MICHIGAN (2026-37)

* Won conference coach of the year in '28 for a 16-15, 10-6 performance. I had better years, but no more rewards for me.
* I recruited a Michigan Mr. Basketball!! SG Burton Foran from Ottawa Lake was *** and #449 overall in '27 - nice, but you'd expect a higher ranking for Michigan's best player. We were happy to have him and he did some nice things for us. I mentioned the '28 season. And in '31 he led us to a MAC tourney championship! In the 1st round he scored 46 against Northern Illinois to power us to a 97-94 win. I guess you could say we needed every point.
* Back to the '31 season, because we were only 18-15 in a weak conference (MAC is a 1 prestige in this league), we could only get a #16 seed. We got annihilated by Stanford 109-50.
* We won the MAC tourney again with a different crew in '35. This time we got the #15 seed and played respectably in a 74-61 loss to Clemson.
* C Colton Tobar was drafted #21 overall in '37 after coming to us as a JUCO player.
* Three straight years with 17 wins seemed to indicate stagnation. I wanted out, and I got out with Idaho.
* Prestige went up from 13 to 24 under my watch

IDAHO (2038-present)

* I changed my recruiting strategy here. Since very few people initially had the guys from Moscow on their lips, and it was expensive to recruit most of the ones that did, you can guess what I did. I had the #81 class in '38 and #73 in '39. A few more classes like these and I'll be the Boise State of basketball.
* The '38 team overachieved massively to go 14-18, 10-6. We faced Hawaii in the WAC championship game, who we'd beaten twice during the regular season. So, of course, they beat us when it counted most.
* We went 8-1 at home in '38. Odder than that record is the fact that we only had 9 home games all season. I let the computer schedule (always), and I wasn't too happy about that job.
* The '39 team was more in line with expectations, 9-21 and 8-8
* TPTB is still looking for us to not finish last, which seems easy enough
* Prestige is up from 20 to 24 so far

There's lots more I could say, but I'll leave it here because it's too long already.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #1396
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
What I'd like to see added is an option to display the stats adjusted to '30 minutes played'. That makes comparisons between players a bit easier.

Ill throw this in for the next build.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #1397
henry296
College Starter

Just an update on my last final 4. This was season 4 and I had 2 #1 and 2 #2 seeds. So either I had some weird results in seasons 1-3 or the talent distribution has worked itself out.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #1398
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I'm about 25+ seasons in, and I find the tournament upset distribution to be pretty realistic. If anything it's on the slightly light side in terms of double-digit seeds winning games. I think I can recall only one F4 of mine recently that didn't have any 1 seeds. More often than not it has multiple 1 seeds.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #1399
bryce
High School Varsity

Quick question regarding the game play: In setting the Double Team rating in the Game Plan section, does that alter or affect the double teams chosen while COACHING a game.

In other words, an an extreme example, say I set Double Inside in my Game Plan to 0, and then I coach a game but want to double their Center pretty much all the time, and thus set that up in the Team Strategy during the game. Will he be doubled, or will the fact that my general Game Plan setting is 0 override that and thus never be doubled?

Hope this makes sense. I'm loving this game. I was afraid to buy a college game - my only other college purchase was TCY so many years ago, and as much as Jim has done for text sims, man, recruiting in that game was SO tedious it felt like work. It's seamless in FBCB. Everything in the game, not just recruiting, just flows.

edited for typo

Last edited by bryce : 03-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #1400
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you are actively coaching the game, then the settings chosen in the default gameplan are ignored. The team will play according to the settings you choose during the game.