Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2021, 08:15 AM   #8401
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Here's a shared FB post I saw this morning that's related to some of the discussion here. I don't know these folks, but they're apparently good friends of some old friends of ours who have moved to Florida. Based on her profile, she appears to be in medical sales of some sort, so I doubt they're traditional "anti-vaxxer" types.

It sounds like this couple just....really didn't give it much thought. "We're young, healthy, don't get the flu shot. We'll be fine." I wonder if a lot of people aren't so much actively "eff you, other people who might get sick," as they just don't really think beyond their own little bubbles.

It is great that Kevin is getting better and all, but how many people who are refusing the vaccine because they were influenced by fox news, etc...have access to the care he is getting? 2% maybe? Majority of people in his situation probably die.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #8402
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
A good compromise for now assuming Disney is also doing the other stuff such as limiting no. of people in stores, wiping things down all the time (e.g. seats) etc.

Serious question, isn't a mask mandate illegal in FL?
Old 07-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #8403
bronconick
College Starter

DeSantis won't say a thing because Disney will stuff him in a barrel.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #8404
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Serious question, isn't a mask mandate illegal in FL?

Private business.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-c...8040ca741aeba1
Quote:
However, private businesses — including theme parks and hospitals — can impose restrictions on their own.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #8405
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was gonna say, Disney >> Florida.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:45 AM   #8406
molson
General Manager

Into the 4th wave of a pandemic which has impacted so much about the world, killed and hospitalized so many, if you're not vaccinated, you're an anti-vaxxer. To me, if you're not getting it because you just feel you're above it all and it's no big deal, you're no better the the people not getting it because of something they read on Facebook.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #8407
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Into the 4th wave of a pandemic which has impacted so much about the world, killed and hospitalized so many, if you're not vaccinated, you're an anti-vaxxer. To me, if you're not getting it because you just feel you're above it all and it's no big deal, you're no better the the people not getting it because of something they read on Facebook.

So you would classify pregnant women as anti-vaxxer?
Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 AM   #8408
molson
General Manager

Quote:
So you would classify pregnant women as anti-vaxxer?

Definitely.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #8409
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Definitely.

Okay. We'll agree to disagree.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #8410
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I know someone attempting to get pregnant and after talking to their doctor, decided to hold off. If you're getting medical advice based on a specific set of circumstances and there's enough hesitance to not be 100%, I don't have an issue with that. But I just don't think those are the majority of people not getting it. Most of them are refusing to ask a doctor because they know what the answer is going to be. It's a combination of refusing to listen to the public medical advice and willfully avoiding to ask the question to their own doctor.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #8411
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know someone attempting to get pregnant and after talking to their doctor, decided to hold off. If you're getting medical advice based on a specific set of circumstances and there's enough hesitance to not be 100%, I don't have an issue with that. But I just don't think those are the majority of people not getting it. Most of them are refusing to ask a doctor because they know what the answer is going to be. It's a combination of refusing to listen to the public medical advice and willfully avoiding to ask the question to their own doctor.

I wanted to propose a specific use case where I believe hesitancy to get vaccinated is perfectly understandable and should not be condemned.

If my daughter was pregnant, telling her to get vaccinated would not be automatic ... I would struggle with it and not sure what I (or she) should do.

This use case is regardless of how much of a covid grognak one is, regardless of political affiliation, education level, race etc.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #8412
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with both Edward and KSyrup. I think most people who aren't getting it is not based on medical advice or due to pregnancy. There are some in that category but most have other reasons.

The main difference between me and the board on this I think is that I believe there are other legitimate reasons as well. I've found this whole situation to be fascinating in terms of social dynamics.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #8413
PilotMan
Head Coach

My wife has crazy reactions and side effects to medication, is very allergic to all stinging insects, has been doing allergy treatments to both environmental and venom over the last 18 months+. During that time, she's had to endure multiple epinephrine shots at the office and took an ambulance to the ER another time.

There were some concerns about the side effects to the vaccines, especially after the warnings about people who have strong allergy reactions, she's already had Covid once as well. But you know what the Dr said? They said, get the vaccine. Knowing the risks and threats, the Dr said, you must wait 3x as long as everyone else after you get your shot, and tell everyone that you're a risk, but go get the shot, because not getting it is worse. She did, and she had no additional adverse reactions.

The risk averse seem to be banking on some solution where they get the benefit without any risk. These people must also see the larger world as risk free. If the risks of a vaccine that will 99.5% of the time make you more safe from dying, are worse than the risks from driving your car, then they are very, very poor at risk assessment. That just comes down to control and the idea that they are better at controlling their world than they think they are. The randomness in life is a risk, but these people simply won't see it that way, and that perspective is ignorant.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #8414
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I agree with both Edward and KSyrup. I think most people who aren't getting it is not based on medical advice or due to pregnancy. There are some in that category but most have other reasons.

The main difference between me and the board on this I think is that I believe there are other legitimate reasons as well. I've found this whole situation to be fascinating in terms of social dynamics.

Would this be the case for any vaccine or just the one for Covid?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:52 AM   #8415
molson
General Manager

The hard thing for me to get past is the entitlement. Everyone who doesn't get the vaccine think they're special for some reason - a special condition, they're young and healthy, they figured out the government conspiracy, etc.

As with everything COVID, there are people helping, and people harming. The vaccine is the easiest way to be on the right side of that. There's no spectrum of morality like there is with when to wear a mask, when to have family gatherings, etc. The shot takes 2 seconds, it's free, and it's the very best defense we have. The fact that once again, there are people who believe they're superior and entitled and don't have to help out, just pushes me further and further to extreme views on this - and a lack of empathy for people who believe they're too entitled for the vaccine but then die of COVID. Their death at least keeps them from harming and disrupting the lives of innocent people, and increases the % of people who are vaccinated.

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #8416
thesloppy
Pro Starter

For fucks sake I think we can all safely assume that when people talk about anti-vaxxers of course they are not talking about the people with medical conditions. Do the same people really need to hear the same statements fully qualified over and over and over again?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-29-2021 at 11:30 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #8417
molson
General Manager

The fact that we have free access to an effective and safe vaccine is absolute miracle of modern medicine and something I'm truly thankful for. There are so many people in the world who don't have that. I'm not sure the extent of the death and suffering and social and cultural impact in those places has even been fully documented. It is the absolute peak of privileged entitlement that about half of us can't be bothered and have decided that they have no responsibility to do their part.

Fortunately I only know a small handful of people who are anti-vaxxers, and there's none in my family, and none among people who are important to me, because it would be a relationship-changing or ending dynamic for me if there was.

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #8418
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

More support for molson's point: Literally any negative consequences for being unvaxxed will convince folks to get vaxxed.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #8419
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

For my specific use case of pregnant woman, it was for Covid vaccination.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #8420
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

FWIW. 3.6M pregnancies a year. 11% of them were fully vaccinated (article on Jul 6). Not saying "most" but by raw numbers, there is a pretty large number not getting vaccinated due to pregnancy.

EDIT: bad assumption, rewording ... there is a large number of pregnant women not getting vaccinated but can't claim it's all due to pregnancy vs being an anti-vaxxer.

Quote:
Results—The provisional number of births for the United States in 2020 was 3,605,201, down 4% from 2019. The general fertility rate was 55.8 births per 1,000 women aged 15–44, down 4% from 2019 to reach another record low for the United States.
CDC study: 11% of pregnant women fully vaccinated for COVID-19 | khou.com
Quote:
A CDC study found only 11 percent of pregnant women are fully vaccinated..

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-29-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:44 PM   #8421
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
For my specific use case of pregnant woman, it was for Covid vaccination.

Understood. I guess what I am asking is what are the differences in the specific cases where people have "legitimate" concerns about the COVID vaccine and when they have "legitimate" concerns over any other vaccine or even anything else medical. I put the word legitimate in quotes because well who determines what is or is not legitimate in these cases? We have already seen the concerns of anti vaxxers not deemed legitimate by the society.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #8422
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Understood. I guess what I am asking is what are the differences in the specific cases where people have "legitimate" concerns about the COVID vaccine and when they have "legitimate" concerns over any other vaccine or even anything else medical. I put the word legitimate in quotes because well who determines what is or is not legitimate in these cases? We have already seen the concerns of anti vaxxers not deemed legitimate by the society.

I've noted the CDC website before. CDC has approved the vaccines for pregnant women but it seems lukewarm, see below.

For me as an individual, sure I'm willing to play the odds (which are largely in my favor). For my (hypothetical) pregnant daughter, I don't know. I know it won't as easy an answer as some here would suggest.

COVID-19 Vaccines While Pregnant or Breastfeeding
Quote:
Based on how these vaccines work in the body, experts believe they are unlikely to pose a risk for people who are pregnant. However, there are currently limited data on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in pregnant people.

Clinical trials that study the safety of COVID-19 vaccines and how well they work in pregnant people are underway or planned. Vaccine manufacturers are also collecting and reviewing data from people in the completed clinical trials who received vaccine and became pregnant.

Studies in animals receiving a Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, or J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or during pregnancy found no safety concerns in pregnant animals or their babies.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #8423
molson
General Manager

Pregnant people with COVID-19 are at an increased risk of severe illness when compared to non-pregnant people, they're also at an increased risk for preterm birth.

Pregnant and Recently Pregnant People | CDC

That's 100% on them if they face those issues, something they'll have to live with (if they live).

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #8424
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
More support for molson's point: Literally any negative consequences for being unvaxxed will convince folks to get vaxxed.

I’ve been saying this the last few months. Even more so after we did some traveling. It should be much more difficult to enjoy the perks of life if you are not vaxxed than if you are. That is the only way to get the holdouts. If they can go to games, travel, etc. with no impediment or extra hoops well of course they aren’t going to get vaccinated.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #8425
Ksyrup

So the Arkansas governor declared a public health emergency and followed it up with no masks required and we're wide open. So what's the emergency?

The city is on fire so I'm declaring an emergency and also, the fire department still has the week off.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #8426
tarcone
Coordinator

Would Federal dollars be in play with that announcement?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #8427
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Along the same lines:

Old 07-29-2021, 03:46 PM   #8428
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Would Federal dollars be in play with that announcement?

Possibly. But what would they use the money for? Running ads during Fox News/OANN pleading with people to get the vaccine? Extra hospital beds/body bags while they wait it out?

This whole thing has been a complete joke. Trump completely ignored the immediate crisis all last year on the promise of a quick "miracle" vaccine which happened far faster than anyone thought possible. But by the time that happened, he lost the election. So, he and his party took a dump on the vaccine when they lost the Presidency and Congress, and now governors like this are using the same playbook - no addressing the immediate issue, everything is business as usual, the vaccine should take care of it. Except their followers have been taught not to trust the government or to give the other side a victory, so they won't get the vaccine.

Rinse/repeat.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #8429
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Meanwhile the US is now #1 in the world, in terms of new covid cases over the last week, and a new (to us) Colombian variant has started spreading in Florida.

In shocking news, US has highest number of new cases in the world | TheHill

Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-29-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #8430
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

EPSILON VARIANT!
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #8431
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan

Any vaccine, but I think the situation with the COVID one is fundamentally different and there's more reason both to get it and not to in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
I only know a small handful of people who are anti-vaxxers, and there's none in my family, and none among people who are important to me, because it would be a relationship-changing or ending dynamic for me if there was.

That's actually happened in my family in the case of the person who, partly due to the advice of their doctor, isn't getting the vaccine. Some others in the family are now on barely-speaking and never-visiting terms with them, and it's also driven somewhat of a wedge between those others and myself because I won't throw that decision under the bus. Those who've read what I've said here over the years know that I think we have to be better than this.

On the lack of empathy, I would again reference the polling data we have on this. There's some of that going on but others don't think the vaccine is safe. Not all of those by a long shot are in the governmental-conspiracy department. This is why we see health professionals being willing to lose their jobs in some places rather than get vaccinated, even when they've taken other more established vaccines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
It is the absolute peak of privileged entitlement that about half of us can't be bothered and have decided that they have no responsibility to do their part.

Just a reminder that this *isn't* the case. Those who say they aren't vaccinated and don't intend to be isn't half. It's a quarter. That is not a small or trivial distinction. Approaching 70% of adults have one shot already.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-29-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:32 PM   #8432
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Any vaccine, but I think the situation with the COVID one is fundamentally
different and there's more reason both to get it and not to in that case.

That's actually happened in my family in the case of the person who, partly due to the advice of their doctor, isn't getting the vaccine. Some others in the family are now on barely-speaking and never-visiting terms with them, and it's also driven somewhat of a wedge between those others and myself because I won't throw that decision under the bus. Those who've read what I've said here over the years know that I think we have to be better than this.

On the lack of empathy, I would again reference the polling data we have on this. There's some of that going on but a few others don't think the vaccine is safe. Not all of those by a long shot is in the governmental-conspiracy department. This is why we see health professionals being willing to lose their jobs in some places rather than get vaccinated, even when they've taken other more established vaccines.

Just a reminder that this *isn't* the case. Those who say they aren't vaccinated and don't intend to be isn't half. It's a quarter. That is not a small or trivial distinction. Approaching 70% of adults have one shot already.

This is the part that drives me crazy in bold. Whichever Tribe it is will inflate their numbers like when trump says, "Others say..."... No, there weren't others until you said it, then the others said it, and now you claim that they started the saying it but it was you.

The GREAT majority of those against the vaccine, and I mean GREAT, are in the category above (see my post that listed their pattern of support in the post I listed way up on the other page). They're consistent with their tribe and that is 99% political first and then scrambling for reasons other than political to support their already decided notion. Like that witch doctor who went on youtube and claims, women are raped in their sleep by their dreams. HELLO!!! She was cited in the beginning to support the hydrochloriquine / no vaccine mindset. AYFKM

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-29-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #8433
cuervo72
Head Coach

Maybe these ladies can get the vaccine in 12-14 years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...e-117617221941
Old 07-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #8434
Ksyrup

I watched that report during the news and thought the same thing. "Maybe my kid's kids won't have to deal with polio."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-29-2021 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:11 PM   #8435
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch1986
The GREAT majority of those against the vaccine, and I mean GREAT, are in the category above (see my post that listed their pattern of support in the post I listed way up on the other page).

No they aren't. All what you posted shows is that the unvaccinated skew that direction to a degree, which I have agreed with. But the polling data I've cited repeatedly *also* shows that

** There are significant numbers of non-Republicans who don't want the vaccine, which means it's more than political. Again, just compare the polling on this to the polling on Trump. Far more Republicans are taking the vaccine than are negative on Trump; far more Democrats & independents are not taking the vaccine than are positive on Trump. This is an issue where there is significant public doubt, regardless of whether we think there *should* be or not.

** Safety concerns are cited by half the people who don't want the vaccine

** There's tribal bias the other way in terms of overestimating the probabilities of adverse outcomes from contracting COVID; Americans across the board have quite inaccurate assessments of the situation both directions

If it was 99% political first as you claim, it would be only Republicans not wanting the vaccine and almost all of them wouldn't want it. Both of those are simply not the case.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-29-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #8436
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Any vaccine, but I think the situation with the COVID one is fundamentally different and there's more reason both to get it and not to in that case.

I am curious what those differences are. I think everyone should get the vaccine. I don't think it should be mandated. I find it interesting and confusing the amount of compassion and understanding being given to a minority of people who choose not to get the vaccine as opposed to those who say refuse to get the vaccine for chicken pox.

Disclaimer: I am not talking about those who have contraindications. I mean those who can get the vaccine but choose not to.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #8437
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami fan
I am curious what those differences are.

** There hasn't yet been time for long-term medical studies on both disease and vaccine. That means what we know, we know with a far smaller degree of confidence/certainty. The track record just isn't there, and can't be there, at this point.

** Other hand; we do have a high degree of confidence the virus is a much greater threat than the vaccine is. That's why I'm in favor of people taking it.

** The societal environment can't be ignored here either. The pandemic environment itself is a reason for suspicion. The more the establishment pushes for vaccine acceptance, the more those inclined to be independent and not accept what the establishment tells them distrust it. This goes far, far deeper than wacko nutjob conspiracy-theory types, they're just a subset of the larger group.

It's similar in my opinion to how during the second Gulf War there was a push to support the war or be branded a traitor etc. And then there was pushback on that as well. The pro-war narrative was distrusted for some people both because of how hard it was pushed and who it was that was doing the pushing. Tribalism is involved here of course but again it goes deeper than that. A lot of it comes down to 'who do you trust'. For those who don't trust the medical establishment - a group that is again much larger than anti-vaxxers and includes pretty much everyone with the slightest inclination towards alternative medicine/natural healing/etc. - talking heads on TV isn't going to cut it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-29-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:40 AM   #8438
Edward64
Head Coach

Delta has hit China. Nothing massive yet. It'll be interesting to see if China can stop it effectively. They've done a great job of containing it so far, estimated 57% fully vaccinated (I would have thought more by now).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2d8_story.html
Quote:
Officials borrowed from the same playbook when a cluster of cases recently emerged in the eastern city of Nanjing, placing 9.3 million residents in semi-lockdown. Nearly all in-person commercial and social activity was suspended and neighborhoods considered high-risk were cordoned off. Taxis were told not to leave the city, and residents were subject to mass testing.

But as coronavirus cases continued to pop up this week in other cities as a result of the highly contagious delta variant, driving new infections in China to a six-month high, some experts have suggested the need for a shift in strategy.
:
The outbreak started in Nanjing’s Lukou International Airport, where the vast majority of employees are vaccinated, local officials said. Cases linked to Lukou have been detected in at least 13 cities in seven provinces, although according to officials, only a handful of those cases have been severe. No deaths have been reported.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-30-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:55 AM   #8439
Edward64
Head Coach

I see a booster shot in our future.

I know Biden donated some of the stockpile to other countries, assume he reserved what he needed in anticipation of boosters being needed.

Is this really big news though? Isn't this similar to the annual flu shot? Just mix it in with a flu shot (wll okay, maybe flu shot on left and Covid shot on right) and call it good. New normal.

Pfizer says immunity can drop to 83% within four months in people who got its COVID-19 shot, further bolstering the company case for a booster - MarketWatch
Quote:
The effectiveness of Pfizer’s COVID-19 shot can drop to 83.7% within four to six months after getting the second dose of its vaccine. This is the latest indication that vaccine-induced immunity to the virus can wane and some kind of boost may be necessary in the future.

New research published Wednesday as a preprint indicates that the Pfizer Inc. PFE, -0.63% shot provides 96.2% protection for the first two months, 90.1% effectiveness between the second and fourth months, and between 83.7% of protection for the fourth, fifth, and six months.

“We will need a booster eight to 12 months from the second dose,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Wednesday, according to a FactSet transcript of the company’s second-quarter earnings call.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #8440
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
** There hasn't yet been time for long-term medical studies on both disease and vaccine. That means what we know, we know with a far smaller degree of confidence/certainty. The track record just isn't there, and can't be there, at this point.

** Other hand; we do have a high degree of confidence the virus is a much greater threat than the vaccine is. That's why I'm in favor of people taking it.

** The societal environment can't be ignored here either. The pandemic environment itself is a reason for suspicion. The more the establishment pushes for vaccine acceptance, the more those inclined to be independent and not accept what the establishment tells them distrust it. This goes far, far deeper than wacko nutjob conspiracy-theory types, they're just a subset of the larger group.

It's similar in my opinion to how during the second Gulf War there was a push to support the war or be branded a traitor etc. And then there was pushback on that as well. The pro-war narrative was distrusted for some people both because of how hard it was pushed and who it was that was doing the pushing. Tribalism is involved here of course but again it goes deeper than that. A lot of it comes down to 'who do you trust'. For those who don't trust the medical establishment - a group that is again much larger than anti-vaxxers and includes pretty much everyone with the slightest inclination towards alternative medicine/natural healing/etc. - talking heads on TV isn't going to cut it.

I appreciate this.

I still am not seeing the distinction between the nutjobs conspiracy types and the people who are more inclined to independent thought and not trust the medical establishment. It seems like the distinction comes from I know/like/agree with these people over here so they are in the latter category, while I don't know/don't like/ don't agree with those people over there so they are in the former. I am not talking about you specifically, I mean in general. I admit that is a me problem.

Your Gulf War example is very good and shows why I struggling with the compassion being shown in this instance.

My issue is not with those who chose not to follow the establishment line. I get that. I have seen that. I have seen how the society deals with and treats that minority group. My issue is the compassion that is being shown to that group when it come to COVID and why it is appearing in this case. Those who opposed the war were branded as traitors and were treated as such short of being put in front of a firing squad. They faced consequences that for some have lasted to this day. I am not saying it's right. I am saying that that is the way we as a society have handled people who did not support this country's wars in the past. That is the precedent. I suspect that is the way we are going to treat those that oppose wars in the future. I feel the same way with the current medical situation. There is a clear history that shows how we as a society deal with those who lean towards alternative medicine/natural healing/etc. We are not compassionate to them. We are not here to consider their distrust. That compassion hasn't been there in the past and I have zero confidence we are going to have the compassion moving forward when people who are more inclined to independent and not trust the whatever establishment in the future act in the future. The compassion is this current situation is an outlier IMO.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #8441
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I would suggest two things possibly:

** Where do you see this compassion in action? I see a big cultural divide with the vaccinated having less and less tolerance for those who are not. That's been reflected on this board obviously but it goes far beyond that. My perception is that there's actually been less compassion here than in the example we're discussing, not more. So I'm quite curious what you're seeing that makes you not think that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
It seems like the distinction comes from I know/like/agree with these people over here so they are in the latter category, while I don't know/don't like/ don't agree with those people over there so they are in the former.

Here's how I personally would break it down. I have a former co-worker who is full-on QAnon and refers to the vaccine as the 'cemetery shot'. Short of a literal gun to their head, I don't think they'll ever take it, they're just that far gone barring a major psychic shift. They are extremely functional as a person and there are admirable things about their character, but in terms of the views of geopolitics I would unquestionably call them a nutjob.

I think being reticent about a vaccine that by established medical standards is still experimental is in a completely different category. People who simply prefer to largely not interact with the medical system any more than they have to are on one side, people who think it's actively out to get them are on another. Others may have different POVs but to me there's a pretty clear line between the two.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:35 AM   #8442
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
Is this really big news though? Isn't this similar to the annual flu shot? Just mix it in with a flu shot (wll okay, maybe flu shot on left and Covid shot on right) and call it good. New normal.

I think it's big news. Pre-pandemic, flu vaccine participation was typically a hair under 50%. A significant amount more people will be willing to get a one-time, two-shot vaccine than will consistently take boosters annually or more often. Basically, under this scenario I would be surprised if the annual vaccination rate approaches the current COVID ~ 70%.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #8443
miami_fan
Coordinator

[quote]
Quote:
I would suggest two things possibly:

** Where do you see this compassion in action? I see a big cultural divide with the vaccinated having less and less tolerance for those who are not. That's been reflected on this board obviously but it goes far beyond that. My perception is that there's actually been less compassion here than in the example we're discussing, not more. So I'm quite curious what you're seeing that makes you not think that.

Ironically, the compassion is coming from the establishment.

https://www.huschblackwell.com/newsa...s#linktojump10

I don't remember such protective actions for the Gulf War opposition nor any alternative/natural medicine minorities. Especially if the majority believe the practice to be a public good.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:59 AM   #8444
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Missouri doctor says people in disguise are coming for COVID vaccine
Old 07-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #8445
Ksyrup

There is A LOT of this. It's apparently a conservative value to be anti-vaxx (at least once Covid was turned into a political issue).

Old 07-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #8446
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know if it's me and my viewing habits (watch CNN, Bloomberg TV, the Olympics, HGTV etc.) but I don't remember seeing/hearing PSA ads on getting vaccinated?

I read plenty about it online but don't remember seeing ads or billboards etc. I only listen to music when driving and admittedly that doesn't happen a lot nowadays. I don't remember hearing any radio station ads either.

In my line of work, when we do implementations we do "change programs", essentially a structured push out of information (and training) to those impacted to reduce hesitancy, resistance etc. and increase acceptance.

The Olympics is a pretty good 2 week period to start doing this.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:53 PM   #8447
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know if it's me and my viewing habits (watch CNN, Bloomberg TV, the Olympics, HGTV etc.) but I don't remember seeing/hearing PSA ads on getting vaccinated?

I read plenty about it online but don't remember seeing ads or billboards etc. I only listen to music when driving and admittedly that doesn't happen a lot nowadays. I don't remember hearing any radio station ads either.

In my line of work, when we do implementations we do "change programs", essentially a structured push out of information (and training) to those impacted to reduce hesitancy, resistance etc. and increase acceptance.

The Olympics is a pretty good 2 week period to start doing this.

I have seen PSAs on TV and heard them on the radio. I am not sure what good more PSAs would do. It seems that would be just another example of having the vaccine shoved down a person's throat for some.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #8448
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
There is A LOT of this. It's apparently a conservative value to be anti-vaxx (at least once Covid was turned into a political issue)

A lot of philosophies of governance are based on the axiom that people act in their own self interest. And that self-preservation is a universally shared value.

Now that we are learning that people will literally die to own the libs, it has to change the persuasion calculus a bit on a whole range of issues.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #8449
molson
General Manager

I tried for a few moments, again, to understand what being conservative has to do with opposing vaccines. "Owning the libs" I guess is a fair explanation. They just want to make liberals mad at them. I definitely am mad. But I'd rather be mad than on a ventilator, so, I win I guess.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #8450
Ksyrup

I take it as a shortcut of the response: "The people who I listen to in the media and in politics identify as conservative, and they've warned against the vaccine or that the risk of the virus isn't that bad, so I'm not getting it." I can definitely see how that can become the reality that GOP/Fox News is against it and I have always voted GOP, so I have to adopt this as my stance. Because, you know, RINO and all that if you break in any way from the talking points.