Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #8501
RainMaker
General Manager

I've noticed more and more people voluntarily wearing masks at the grocery store here. I'm not but an interesting trend.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #8502
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm starting to wear them again. I'm vaxxed and not that worried. But it is an incredibly light burden, and if I can make anyone with children or who is immunocompromised more comfortable, then why not do it?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:05 PM   #8503
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've noticed more and more people voluntarily wearing masks at the grocery store here. I'm not but an interesting trend.
I have been seeing more recently as well, which is surprising.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #8504
tarcone
Coordinator

COVID exposure and racist slurs at raucous meeting under investigation | FOX 2

St Louis county council meeting about the mask mandate imposed by the County Executive.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #8505
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I've noticed also, and I am currently on Nantucket where at least 50% of people are wearing them.

The interesting thing in my neck of the woods will be what happens when kids go back to school. There is a VERY vocal group of parents who are very much against kids wearing masks in schools.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #8506
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sen. Lindsey Graham tests positive for COVID-19, despite being vaccinated | Fox News
Old 08-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #8507
AlexB
Pro Starter

I’m confused. Have I got this right, that Graham has caught a disease that isn’t really a big deal, but it was only mild for him because of the vaccine that Trump heroically produced, but that people shouldn’t take?

Last edited by AlexB : 08-02-2021 at 04:08 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #8508
Edward64
Head Coach

Hurrah, we hit it! Better late than never I guess. More first jabbers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/02/covi...th-behind.html
Quote:
Seventy percent of U.S. adults have had at least one shot of a Covid vaccine, according to data published Monday by the CDC, about a month behind President Joe Biden’s Fourth of July goal.
:
The nation is reporting an average of about 660,000 vaccinations per day as of Sunday, according to the CDC, far from peak levels of the more than 3 million daily shots in mid-April but up 14% from one week earlier.

The number of first vaccine doses has climbed more sharply than the overall rate in recent days, representing new people getting their first shots. An average of about 432,000 first doses were reported administered every day over the past seven days as of Sunday, according to the CDC, up 24% from a week earlier. The states with the lowest vaccination rates and worst outbreaks are seeing the biggest increases in first doses, a CNBC analysis found.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #8509
RainMaker
General Manager

I was wondering if we would get a small surge in vaccinations with all the troubling news of the Delta variant. Had a friend who was more aloof than anti-vaxx who finally ran out and got their first shot.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #8510
Edward64
Head Coach

Played a lot of Pirates sailing around the Caribbean so the 2 French colonies (?) caught my eye. Wonder what the deal is with such low vaccination rates (vs mainland France) ... have to believe the vaccines are readily available for them?

Guadeloupe is latest French island to lock down amid 'catastrophic' COVID situation | Euronews
Quote:
Guadeloupe is the latest French island to announce a partial COVID lockdown, as authorities describe the health situation as "catastrophic".
:
"We are in a catastrophic situation, we have exceeded 3,000 cases per week," Valérie Denux, director-general of the Regional Health Agency (ARS) of Guadeloupe, told reporters.

More than 3,100 new infections were recorded last week on the island of 395,700 inhabitants — nearly triple the amount registered the week prior and more than ten times the amount observed two weeks ago.
:
French overseas territories have low vaccination rates with just 27.7% of Guadeloupe residents over the age of 18 having received at least one dose of the vaccine by July 28. In Martinique, only 16.14% of the population is fully vaccinated, while on La Réunion, 30.2% of the population is now fully inoculated.

Across the whole of France, 77% of adults have received at least one dose and 66% have been administered a full vaccination course.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #8511
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan still looks good in terms of case numbers despite being a little below the national average nation-wide, but it's starting to move in the wrong direction now. Curious to see if the Whitmer Wars resume in the fall.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-04-2021 at 06:54 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #8512
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here's a perfect example of a flawed mindset.

Most people who aren’t vaccinated view vaccine as a greater risk than covid-19, poll finds

You can't tell me that these people are basing it on the available stats. I thought the cure couldn't be worse than the disease? That's what they said all along, and now they're like, um...this cure is worse than the disease, because I don't trust actual science. There is no available data that shows the vaccine is a greater risk than the disease itself.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #8513
Edward64
Head Coach

Local stats showed up on my feed. A little disappointed that we are below national average but not too surprised. Definitely a GOP/Trump stronghold.

Other than schools, county isn't too "packed". I don't think I'll be wearing masks to Kroger (in and out) but I won't be sitting inside any restaurants anytime soon. Unfortunately the barber place I go to has gone maskless so may have to get haircut first thing in mornings to miss the crowd.

Quote:
The following statistics are from an Aug. 1 Georgia Department of Public Health report:

Forsyth County residents fully vaccinated – 108,482 (48 percent of residents)

Forsyth County residents with at least one vaccine dose – 117,736 (52 percent of residents)

Forsyth County COVID-19 confirmed new daily cases – 74 percent increase from July 1

Northside Hospital Forsyth admissions due to COVID-19 – 330 percent increase since July 26

Data provided by Northside Hospital Forsyth

According to the Department of Public Health report, which can be found online, Georgia had 586 positive COVID-19 cases on July 1. The total number of statewide new cases on Aug. 2 was 2,331, an increase of 75 percent.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #8514
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Michigan still looks good in terms of case numbers despite being a little below the national average nation-wide, but it's starting to move in the wrong direction now. Curious to see if the Whitmer Wars resume in the fall.

She basically said her hands are tied now because the 1945 Emergency Powers Act got rescinded. Winter will be a shitshow.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #8515
Edward64
Head Coach

Another somewhat ethical dilemma. WHO is asking wealthier countries to not do booster shots (e.g. 3rd shots) until much/rest of world gets vaccinated.

I am sympathetic to the ask, but no western leader will survive if there is a massive 4th wave (or is it 5th next?). Although death tolls are unlikely to reach the heights of last year, it could still be bad enough to cause re-election issues. And it is a leaders responsibility to protect his/her citizens first.

So from a humanitarian POV, its the right thing to do. But from the best interest of a country, nope.

However, the US should continue donating anything that is excess and also continue $ contributions to the global fund.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #8516
miami_fan
Coordinator

We just basically did a tour of Florida via a travel baseball tournament in North Florida, quick stop back home and then down to South Florida to visit family. Since I visited the grocery store in all three locations, I observed the amount of mask wearing that I saw in each location. I did not do an actual count. This is not meant to be scientific.

WAYYY more mask usage than I expected in North Florida on a busy Saturday afternoon. My guess would be about 20-25% of the shoppers were wearing masks. If you asked me beforehand, I probably would have the percentage would have been less than 5% given what I learned living in that area in the past. Locally, we have been pretty steady around 30-35% for the past month but I saw a slight increase when we made the quick pit stop on Monday. In South Florida, it really felt like I was at the store in April 2020 instead of August 2021. There were less people in the store than the previous two times. At LEAST 60% of the store were wearing masks. The social distancing was noticeable as well. People were giving each other at least a couple of feet as they waited to grab a item from a shelf or waited in line at the checkout area. I even saw people use the sanitizing wipes to clean the credit card keypad. I can't remember the last time I saw that happen.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #8517
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We're in St. Augustine for the week and we've noticed more mask-wearing as the week has gone on. Hearing about the lack of space in J-ville hospitals must be getting through to some.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #8518
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We are in Nantucket for two weeks and mask wearing is off the charts. To the point I feel bad not wearing one. Some places close to70% I would say, and probably 50% of people just walking on the street. Some places requiring them, I wanted to go into Vineyard Vines and I couldn't because my masks were in the car (yes this is the definition of a first world problem)

Last edited by Lathum : 08-05-2021 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #8519
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Another somewhat ethical dilemma. WHO is asking wealthier countries to not do booster shots (e.g. 3rd shots) until much/rest of world gets vaccinated.

I have come across a couple people online claiming to have made appointments with fake info in order to get a 3rd shot.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #8520
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have come across a couple people online claiming to have made appointments with fake info in order to get a 3rd shot.

So credible!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #8521
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Just to prove Brian's point that it's always both sides, this is an article about one of the current leaders of the local county GOP. He recently helped lead a hostile takeover because they didn't feel the elected officials were subservient enough to Trump, which was impossible.

Anyway, he's currently in the ICU about to be vented. His wife was just released. They are both unvaccinated. In his embedded Facebook post, he rails against vaccinations, masks and government healthcare. This is while is he currently in the hospital.

So I think both sides can come together and say that people like this deserve every terrible things that can happen to them and hopefully no one useful was infected by these deplorable people.

Greenville County GOP leader Pressley Stutts battling COVID-19
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #8522
PilotMan
Head Coach

Are we at the point where we can say "ironically" that "I for one, don't want my government taxes going to support this man for one minute!"

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #8523
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

One of the GOP Reps suing Pelosi over the mask mandate has tested positive for COVID.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #8524
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
One of the GOP Reps suing Pelosi over the mask mandate has tested positive for COVID.

Its just the flu unless he gets intubated or dies.

Let's us know when he or his family is quoted saying "should have gotten the stupid shot".
Old 08-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #8525
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Its just the flu unless he gets intubated or dies.

Let's us know when he or his family is quoted saying "should have gotten the stupid shot".

If he dies, he just needs the Missouri coroner to change the cause of death.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:47 AM   #8526
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEcon
Just to prove Brian's point that it's always both sides

That isn't, wasn't, and will continue to not be my point at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostEcon
I think both sides can come together and say that people like this deserve every terrible things that can happen to them

Nah. They're still human beings. That's plenty to not wish extra suffering on them.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:50 AM   #8527
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

To add to the mask-wearing informal survey, it's still very low here in W. Michigan - it's a noticeable outlier when you see someone wearing one.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:42 AM   #8528
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am doing to a comic book convention with my kids tomorrow, and then to a Braves game Sunday. I am going to have to be in a mask all weekend. It's a bummer.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #8529
Thomkal
Head Coach

I was out and about yesterday a bit, went to Publix, and noticed the staff all wearing masks again, and a lot but certainly not all customers wearing them. I think mainly its because the Delta variant is a hotspot here-maybe the largest in the state, probably no doubt due to tourists flocking here for their missed vacations and a governor against mask mandates. I'll be curious to see how many parents go the homeschooling route given masks are not a requirement in schools here.

And like a lot of the country, the majority of covid patients are the unvaccinated.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #8530
QuikSand
lolzcat

My organization is holding a pretty large conference ahead, and just announced that we would be urging/recommending that everyone attending wear a mask regardless of vaccination status. We're going to get it from both sides, it's already starting from one.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #8531
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I was working remotely at my kid's gymnastics practice yesterday morning. Normally I've been the only one there, but yesterday there were at least 40 people watching in a 75x15 room. I was one of three with a mask and just worked in my hot car for the next 3 hours after about 20 minutes.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #8532
lungs
Pro Rookie

This week was my first full week back in the office since March 2020. Yesterday I had a cough start to develop. Didn’t get any better overnight so I’m going to go get myself tested.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #8533
Edward64
Head Coach

Incubation is approx 3 weeks, so you should be okay.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #8534
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I’ve been other places too, just thought the timing was ironic.

I’m vaccinated so not too worried if I am positive.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #8535
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This one is from the "I have a feeling it's about to get a lot worse here" pile. So, remember, Houston was a major outbreak zone last summer and I have suspected for a while that we actually had a worse outbreak then than during the winter. The case numbers were lower but the deaths appeared to be higher (https://usafacts.org/visualizations/.../harris-county) - however, I don't think our capacity to count either was all that great yet in the summer.

I think some of you have seen stories about how some places are using the amount of virus in the wastewater to forecast future outbreaks and it's been very reliable. Well, Houston's previous peak was in July of last year. Harris County (i.e. Houston) just recorded samples this week that are 320%(!!!) of their previous high. Not a little higher. 3x as high.

COVID-19 in Houston wastewater currently at levels 'never seen before' | khou.com

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:26 PM   #8536
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

19 days ago there were 250 cases reported in a day in South Carolina. 3200 were reported today. These are the cases from Wednesday and they no longer report weekend numbers, so shots going to be even more soon.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #8537
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If that's where we are with half the country fully vaccinated and another 20% partway there, stick a fork in us pretty much.

I want to be positive, but it's hard to be under those conditions if they persist.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #8538
Flasch186
Coordinator

COVID-19 - Wuhan Coronavirus (a non-political thread, see pg. 36 #1778)

Imagine if we would’ve gotten a faster start on vaccinations… just imagine you know if say someone a huge amount of people looked up to stated that he himself got vaccinated and encouraged everyone else to ASAP because, you know, there’s not a micro chip in it, or it’s a threat to your freedom. Sounds like a song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-06-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:27 PM   #8539
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

for facehuggers?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:49 AM   #8540
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
for facehuggers?

Pretty sure they pop out of the chest quicker than 3 weeks.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:08 AM   #8541
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
If that's where we are with half the country fully vaccinated and another 20% partway there, stick a fork in us pretty much.

I want to be positive, but it's hard to be under those conditions if they persist.

I'm optimistic it won't get near as bad as last year for the vaccinated (and probably the partially vaccinated). Keep the faith.

I'm hopeful Delta will push the undecideds/partial to get vaccinated. 12-15 are now approved. Hopefully FDA approval soon.

I'm not a FDA expert and don't know about their inner workings, but article below implies FDA has been slow. It also explains some why we haven't seen more PSA/ads for vaccination (e.g. replace viagra-and-like ads with covid vaccinations).

With FDA approval, more would get COVID-19 vaccine | Commentary - Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
Many of these people are essentially wondering why the FDA hasn’t fully approved the shots if they’re as safe and effective as public health officials claim. A staggering 49% of wait-and-seers say that full approval would make them more likely to get vaccinated.

Second, it’d enable Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson to advertise the shots directly to consumers. Drug ads are effective. The House Commerce Committee previously found that every “$1 spent on direct-to-consumer advertising results in up to a $6 increase in sales.”

Now would be a great time to get those great marketing minds to work convincing people to sit for their COVID-19 shots.

Third, it’d give private-sector institutions, from companies to universities, more leverage to push workers and students to get vaccinated.

At certain workplaces — such as nursing homes full of elderly and immunocompromised people — it’s eminently reasonable for management to order workers to get the shot or find a different job. Medical provider-groups are already pushing hospitals to institute vaccine requirements.

The Kaiser Family Foundation found that four in 10 unvaccinated workers would get the shots if required as a condition of employment. If the FDA fully authorizes the vaccines, it’d put employers who decide to require vaccination on firmer legal ground.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:31 AM   #8542
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I'm optimistic it won't get near as bad as last year for the vaccinated (and probably the partially vaccinated). Keep the faith.

I agree with that, I'm just talking more long-term. Whatever the ceiling is on the number of vaccinated people, I don't see it being enough to stop this kind of outbreak if we're seeing this now, nevermind in cooler weather/holidays/etc.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #8543
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I did not realize the advertising part of full approval.

But why would the drug companies spend money advertising the vaccine? My sense is that, globally, they will be able to sell their shots for years without buying ads.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #8544
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

And I hope that I am being too cynical here and am wrong about this, but I think that a lot of the 49% waiting for full approval will just pass on to another excuse once full approval is out there. It will become "approval was rushed" or "We won't know anything about long term effects for 10 years" or something like that.

I had a friend who had no interest in football whatsoever. When the news started to come out about CTE, she jumped on her moral high horse and started talking about how she could never support entertainment that put people's brains at risk to such an extent. Of course, she had no interest in football; the CTE thing was just a convenient thing to say that sounded better than "I just don't like it."

I see a lot of the "full approval" folks the same way. They don't want the shot for whatever reason. And "waiting for full approval" sounds like a good reason to not do what they have no intention of ever doing.

I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be a rush of vaccinations when it is fully approved.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #8545
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
And I hope that I am being too cynical here and am wrong about this, but I think that a lot of the 49% waiting for full approval will just pass on to another excuse once full approval is out there.

same on both counts
Old 08-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #8546
QuikSand
lolzcat

...you see it already. If "full approval" comes in a month or two, then lots of those people will shift to "well, you know they forced it through the approval process..."
Old 08-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #8547
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Just got a text from a (vaccinated) friend. We ran into her on Tuesday evening outdoors in our neighborhood. She hadn’t seen my 12yo daughter in person in over a year and they hugged. Her 12yo daughter ran up and hugged Carter as well. Then on Thursday, Carter and her daughter volunteered together at an outdoor event, and worked in fairly close proximity to one another for 2.5 hours, all outside.

Quote:
Good morning Ben, I just wanted to let you know that I was unfortunately diagnosed with Covid yesterday. I have been vaccinated and had mild cold symptoms on Thursday but did not think much about it since I had a cold a week and a half ago and tested negative then, plus we had been outside every night and I have some seasonal allergies. Anyway, Thursday night right before bed I noticed loss of smell and got tested yesterday which was unfortunately positive. I was not in close proximity to Carter very much Thursday evening and {her daughters name} has no symptoms. I will let you know if that changes. I am sorry. I would have not been at VBS if I had any suspicion at all.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-07-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #8548
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

At least she told you and was honest. I wonder how many situations like this caused a much bigger outbreak, especially prior to vaccination, because people didn't want a scarlet letter.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #8549
molson
General Manager

I was trying to imagine the guilt you'd feel if you had to write an email like and were NOT vaccinated, but then I remembered that those people don't care about things like that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #8550
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I was trying to imagine the guilt you'd feel if you had to write an email like and were NOT vaccinated, but then I remembered that those people don't care about things like that.

I would imagine if you're still unvaccinated at this point you would feel just as bad spreading covid as you would spreading the common cold.