Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #8551
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I was trying to imagine the guilt you'd feel if you had to write an email like and were NOT vaccinated, but then I remembered that those people don't care about things like that.

not even sure what the right response here is... grinding teeth i guess
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #8552
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
I hope that I'm wrong and that there will be a rush of vaccinations when it is fully approved.

I think you're overly cynical but also partly correct. We're already seeing a significant uptick in vaccinations due to the spread of the delta variant. I think we'll see more once approval comes, but there will also be those in the category you describe.

Only time will tell how many.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #8553
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ya know, the unvaccinated are a funny people. Their laughter is contagious.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #8554
Atocep
Coordinator

My wife's step-dad is now blaming vaccinated people for the Delta variant spreading.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #8555
kingfc22
Head Coach

Go Darwin!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-va...of-coronavirus

Last edited by kingfc22 : 08-07-2021 at 06:24 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #8556
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Former Surgeon General.

He says himself that this is just a rumor. But I imagine that he hears a higher class of rumors than I do.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #8557
Flasch186
Coordinator

I’ve got covid

Luckily I was smart enough to get vaccinated so it’s a light cold instead of my impending doom

Science wins!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #8558
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
My wife's step-dad is now blaming vaccinated people for the Delta variant spreading.

I figured I would have heard this from a patient at this point...but I actually heard it today from a colleague who informed me that the vaccines are causing variants.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #8559
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I figured I would have heard this from a patient at this point...but I actually heard it today from a colleague who informed me that the vaccines are causing variants.

That's exactly what he told my wife today. I'm guessing it's a Fox News talking point or something.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:46 PM   #8560
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I thought they had decided on it being brown people from other countries?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #8561
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I thought they had decided on it being brown people from other countries?

Kettle logic - Wikipedia
Old 08-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #8562
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My county in jersey has the highest rate of covid. We also have a ton of shire resort towns. I’m being told it’s all the New Yorkers bringing it down.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #8563
Edward64
Head Coach

Pill, inhaler vaccination would be great ... assuming the $ is right.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57553602
Quote:
In a white, airy laboratory in Medicon Village, one of southern Sweden's largest science parks, chemist Ingemo Andersson holds up a thin, plastic inhaler, half the size of a matchbox.

Her team is hoping this tiny product could play a big role in the global fight against coronavirus allowing people to take powdered versions of future vaccines at home.

"It's easy and it's really cheap to produce," says Johan Waborg, CEO of the firm, which usually makes inhalers for patients with asthma.

"You just remove a little plastic slip and then the vaccine inhaler is activated and you just put it in your mouth, take a deep breath and inhale."
:
"The game-changer is that you could distribute the [powder] vaccine extremely easily without the cold chain, and it can be administered without the need for healthcare providers," says ISR's founder, Ola Winquist, a professor of immunology at the Karolinska Institute, one of Sweden's leading medical universities.

The company is currently testing its vaccines on the Beta (South African) and Alpha (UK) variants of Covid-19.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 PM   #8564
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's a study that said asthma inhalers were only used properly in something like a third of uses. An over the counter inhaler seems like a very risky way to deliver a vaccine.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #8565
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Went to the Apple Store in the big mall in Raleigh yesterday. The store required masks. The mall did not, but I'd say that about 40% of people had masks. And post-CDC announcement and pre-Delta, we were down to almost no masks.

So the message is getting through to some. I also think, though, that this is a Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill thing. I would fully expect that most of the state is still going the Florida/Texas route.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-10-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #8566
Flasch186
Coordinator

Got Covid at a baseball tourney. Vaccinated so it's just a mild cold.

Cancelled our trip Next weekend to New Orleans because I'll be just coming off the 19 and it's frickin' dangerous to travel and go to NO at this time.

The friends we were going with are pissed we're canceling... no "hope you're feeling ok." nada

Our friendship has been changed. My kids will be wearing masks at school because our Governor is a fuckin' idiot.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #8567
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

hope you're feeling ok
Old 08-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #8568
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Cancelled our trip Next weekend to New Orleans because I'll be just coming off the 19 and it's frickin' dangerous to travel and go to NO at this time.

The friends we were going with are pissed we're canceling... no "hope you're feeling ok." nada

Our friendship has been changed. My kids will be wearing masks at school because our Governor is a fuckin' idiot.

sprry you have to deal with that shit esp when sick but glad you're taking care of yourself and your family. It's funny how these tourist traps seem even moreso now.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #8569
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Feel better, Flasch.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #8570
miami_fan
Coordinator

So last year, we were killing people by not allowing them to have elective surgeries.

Now, we are preventing people from having elective surgery and that is a good thing?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #8571
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So last year, we were killing people by not allowing them to have elective surgeries.

Now, we are preventing people from having elective surgery and that is a good thing?

The alternative is to ask conservatives to be slightly inconvenienced with masks.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #8572
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sorry to hear all the Flasch, hope you get better quick! I wouldn't want to go to someplace that's become a COVID hotbed either
Old 08-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #8573
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186

That sucks. These are never fun situations to deal with
Old 08-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #8574
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Just got a text from a (vaccinated) friend. We ran into her on Tuesday evening outdoors in our neighborhood. She hadn’t seen my 12yo daughter in person in over a year and they hugged. Her 12yo daughter ran up and hugged Carter as well. Then on Thursday, Carter and her daughter volunteered together at an outdoor event, and worked in fairly close proximity to one another for 2.5 hours, all outside.
Saw the lady out walking her dog yesterday evening. We talked from across the street. She says they're still fine, just bored in whole-family quarantine. She still has just minor symptoms, and no one else in her family has any.

EDIT TO ADD: no symptoms or other indication so far that my daughter has been infected.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-10-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #8575
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A good friend of mine is in a very popular east coast cover band, I’ve mentioned them before, called the Amish Outlaws. Their agent just sent a letter to the band saying if they aren’t all vaccinated they likely won’t be able to work as majority of venues will be requiring proof of vaccination in the very near future.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-10-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #8576
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Wife's office said they went from 2-3 patients testing positive per week to 90 last week. Masks in their clinics have been required since the start and they're announcing today that they're requiring vaccinations for all staff. She expects at least a few people quitting.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:50 AM   #8577
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've been told in person, Skype, and on local Facebook a this common theory that Abbott "doesn't he realize that the masks mandates and the surgeries are related". Considering where we are with the decisions we're looking at making with our son, it's all I can do to keep from screaming at people: "OF COURSE HE DOES". He is completely aware and doing it anyway. He's done the cold, political calculus that he will get more votes for keeping masks option than he will for lose for costing lives. And, from what we've seen over the past year and change, he could be right.

Calling him stupid is giving him the benefit of Hanlon's razor that he doesn't deserve.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-10-2021 at 10:51 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #8578
Ben E Lou

Our county officials voted in a mask mandate for all indoor public spaces. That includes all retail. It goes into effect Friday at 5. Suffice it to say that the local FB/Nextdoor chatter is lighting up.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:03 PM   #8579
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Suffice it to say that the local FB/Nextdoor chatter is lighting up.

WonderKarens Activate!
Old 08-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #8580
Ben E Lou

Looks like Cheryl “Karen” Byerly has heeded the call, Albion!

Old 08-10-2021, 06:38 PM   #8581
kingfc22
Head Coach

I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal. I mean I do (FoxNews, OANN, etc), but still. It's a fucking mask you put on max from the time you leave your car to time you return. And for others just barely from door to door.

These people act like they are being forced to go to Gitmo.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:17 PM   #8582
Edward64
Head Coach

Great explanation for not getting vaccinated.

(It is a great movie though)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58164833
Quote:
One of the writers of the sci-fi film I Am Legend has clarified its fictional nature amid rumours Covid-19 vaccines would turn people into zombies.

The 2007 film, starring Will Smith, is about a failed attempt to genetically re-engineer measles to cure cancer, killing 99% of the world's population.

Those who survive the infection turn into mutant vampiric creatures.

Claims that something similar would happen to people receiving Covid jabs have been circulating on social media.
:
Last week, the New York Times reported that the owner of an eyewear store in the Bronx, New York, was struggling to persuade some of its staff to get a Covid vaccine, with one citing the plot of I Am Legend as a concern.

"One employee said she was concerned because she thought a vaccine had caused the characters in the film I Am Legend to turn into zombies,"
the report said.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #8583
molson
General Manager

If the vaccine turns a few billion of us into zombies I think I'd rather be on the zombie side, rather than live in an aftertimes world with Cheryl.

Last edited by molson : 08-10-2021 at 07:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #8584
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The company I work for just announced that they want all employees to submit their vaccine cards along with the manufacturer and date(s) of administration. Employees that don't submit evidence of their vaccination will be subject to testing, required to wear a mask at all times while in the office and they will be banned from corporate travel. For new employees, vaccination will be a condition of employment. They aren't the first company to do it, and I imagine that this will be a trend.

The virus was bad enough initially and Delta has amped it up. I'm hoping it doesn't have to get worse before the resistance starts to wear down.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #8585
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I have come across a couple people online claiming to have made appointments with fake info in order to get a 3rd shot.

There's plenty of people like that out there apparently

More than a million Americans have already cheated to get unauthorized vaccine boosters | TheHill
Old 08-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #8586
miami_fan
Coordinator

What is the -ism when you believe that people are fundamentally un-trustworthy?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #8587
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal. I mean I do (FoxNews, OANN, etc), but still. It's a fucking mask you put on max from the time you leave your car to time you return. And for others just barely from door to door.

These people act like they are being forced to go to Gitmo.

It is testament to the awe-inspiring power of propagandist communication techniques. Foreign actors have realized how easy it is to sock puppet a third of this country into chaos, and they do. Media companies have different motivations, but they get it too. And some politicians see a hallowed ground where they can be the one raising a fist and being a hero, especially when the ground has already been plowed for them.

The rubes, pawns, marks... I know it's trending to anchor your hate there, but it honestly belongs first with the people selling the snake oil, more than those buying it.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #8588
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Not regarding Boosters, but early on I heard reports that a whole lot of people got full courses of both Pfizer and Moderna. Some more industrious folks went all in for J & J as well.

I gathered that in the rush to make sure people had access, very few restrictions were put in place.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #8589
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I believe the vaccine has, in fact, turned several million people into zombies.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #8590
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You sure they weren't already?

SI

Old 08-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #8591
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like they'll be authorizing 3rd shots for folks like me who are immunocompromised...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/polit...ine/index.html
Old 08-11-2021, 04:36 PM   #8592
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan

Realism?

*cackle*
Old 08-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #8593
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cynicism?

SI

Old 08-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #8594
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

Conservatism
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:42 AM   #8595
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rand Paul reveals wife bought stock in company behind remdesivir in late financial disclosure | CNN

It's between $1,000 and $15,000 worth of stock, so I can't imagine that this was really about the money for the Pauls. I assume that he's worth millions.

But, politically, it is a bad look to be the Senate's face of anti-vaccine and anti-mask sentiment and to then have a financial stake in COVID treatments.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #8596
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see why. You can be both anti-mandate and pro-treatment of the virus, and Paul isn't anti-vaccine. A total non-issue IMO, except for the timing. It should have been put out there a *long* time ago.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:16 AM   #8597
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't see why. You can be both anti-mandate and pro-treatment of the virus, and Paul isn't anti-vaccine. A total non-issue IMO, except for the timing. It should have been put out there a *long* time ago.

I don't think that he was trying to get away with anything. The money involved is just too low for that.

It just looks horrible for him. It's the sort of easily (mis)understood thing that plays really well as an attack: "Paul is against masks because he's profiting off people getting sick"

It's unfair, but I'd certainly use it to attack him if I were on the other side.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #8598
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

This right here is why Antivax is a thing in the first place. Not because of those diehard 5% but because of the "i'm not antivax, but ..." ("for natural immunity"/"for freedom"/"not for children"/"not so many at once" etc, etc) contingent as well as those that buy that as not being Antivax. Which it is, just cleverly packaged to make people think they really are merely making a rational choice.

Yes, yes, he's not out there ranting against it every time he opens his mouth and when he does, he narrows the 'scope' just enough to qualify as not against it per se. He's an oportunist trying to hedge his bets. He's about as pro-vaccine as Trump is. As in: He's not really, but willing to pretend he is in such a way that still leaves him viable for those that aren't.

Paul literally refuses to get vaccinated as a public figure. You think that isn't to make a statement ? Now he says it's because he had Covid19. Fine "but" there. Yet it is still recommended for those folks and multiple studies show a clear added benefit. And it is absolutely used (and he knows that) as a rational by people who merely think they had Covid.

He was associated with an organisation actively villifying not just these specific vaccines, but also blaming Autism on vaccinations, a believe he evidently shares (the association also meddles with many other fringe shit like claiming AIDS isn't caused by HIV or Abortions being linked to breast cancer)

Rand Paul's vaccine comments expose his greatest weakness as a presidential candidate - Vox

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/24/p...-19/index.html

Association of American Physicians and Surgeons - Wikipedia

(The "notable people" is a verified who is who of fringe positions, including some very popular-in-certain-circles re:Covid, including crossover to other organisations like Americas Frontline Doctors)

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/u...-surgeons.html
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-12-2021 at 08:59 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #8599
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Even worse, as a doctor his opinion is relied on by people who want an excuse not to get vaccinated. His repeated statements using portions of a couple of small studies that he misrepresented into having a certain meaning they didn't actually have is peak "smartest guy in the room" libertarianism BS.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #8600
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario
Yes, yes, he's not out there ranting against it every time he opens his mouth and when he does, he narrows the 'scope' just enough to qualify as not against it per se. He's an oportunist trying to hedge his bets. He's about as pro-vaccine as Trump is. As in: He's not really, but willing to pretend he is in such a way that still leaves him viable for those that aren't.

Paul literally refuses to get vaccinated as a public figure. You think that isn't to make a statement ? Now he says it's because he had Covid19. Fine "but" there. Yet it is still recommended for those folks and multiple studies show a clear added benefit. And it is absolutely used (and he knows that) as a rational by people who merely think they had Covid.

I give every public figure the benefit of the doubt and base my criticism on what they say, not what they don't. If we assume Paul is lying about why he's not getting the vaccine, then we have no ground to stand on when others claim those who are getting are lying about why they are. Or that Biden is lying when he comments about Cuomo, or the infrastructure bill, or whatever. I think it's a basic element of fairness in civil discourse to address ourselves to what people *actually say*, not what we think they meant by it, or parsing it into 'code words' or 'signaling' or what-have-you. When he says it's a personal choice, and that what he's against is mandates not the vaccine itself, I have a responsibility to actually engage with that and not assume he means something else.

People can make a rational choice against/for anything. Yes, *anything*. The statements he's made about autism and vaccines should definitely be criticized etc., but this idea that nobody's allowed to have a rational position in that area, against vaccine/mask/etc. mandates does, has, and will continue to get a hard no from me. We don't get to tell people that their ideas are too crackpot to be articulated. When did it become unacceptable to just be wrong?

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-12-2021 at 10:17 AM.