Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #101
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm just going to say what I love about FM is also what I hate (a good hate if that exists) about FM. Its so damn deep that starting a new game really zaps me over the course of a day. 10:00pm and I've just finished my first friendly against my reserves. Yeah, I had a few interruptions but still that's a lot of time to get to game one, holy shit.

Figure out the squad, release unneeded coaches, try to hire more coaches and scouts, tactics, roles, meetings, talks, boardroom discussions, etc. etc. etc., and yet its still a blast. Hell I haven't even touched training other than getting everyone on conditioning for the first couple of weeks. Buy that time I should be getting into a rhythm so knocking out training schedules will be a breeze.

Really liking the 3d game now. Only been watching football for a few years and certainly don't have the eye of someone that grew up watching the game but man it sure looks like football to me. Really didn't have any WTF moments, as in previous versions, where I had to try "make-up" a reason for what I just saw, IE game result was right but animation didn't exist to show it properly. I think the action all over the pitch is much improved and especially around the goal. Shots that are now wide or high look like they were mishit instead of the game "knowing" it is a high or wide shot and then pulling up an animation where you would think "no way". The whole thing just seems so polished. Through balls, GK hoofing it 3/4 of the way down the pitch with players trying to get a head to it, etc. all looks great IMHO.

My only trouble, so far, is the new scouting. I am woefully short of DR and went looking. My scouts, between the three of them, only have a couple of DR's that I have no chance of getting. Too expensive, too good, and wouldn't play for me even if I had the cash. OK, lets look for players without a team, yeah good idea. My scouts, with full knowledge of England, can't come up with one DR that is looking for a club. Huh? This is playing with every team in UK, Wales, Ireland, N. Ireland fully playable with large data base. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I think I've looked about everywhere for an answer.

I did hire a new scout, he signed about a week into my game, and he came up with one unattached DR. That's one DR between 4 fulltime scouts. Not a game killer by any means but a bit of a pain. Again, I hope I'm missing something obvious of if not that this gets some type of tweak in a patch. I know in previous versions I could at least find some former Barclay's player trying to hang on by stepping down to npower and wonder do these guys not exist because it is a brand new game or do my scouts just not see them? I would think they would be a known quantity and almost every scout would at least have some knowledge of aging vets on the lookout for a job.

Just hit me as I'm typing this, is there any way to send out a message to agents letting them know you need an experienced vet? I know at first press conference I was asked what I might be looking for and expressed defensive players but haven't seen any results from that. Maybe too soon?

Despite this issue I'm thinking this game is going to eat a major part of my free time. To the point I don't see myself buying NBA 2k this year. Trying to play both I don't do justice to either and a computer sim like FM just gives a much better real experience. That or I am just getting older

FWIW all of my old graphics have worked without a hitch. Logos, my 2 year old mega-cutout-face pack, and advertisement boards around the pitch. Just dragged my graphics folder from v11 to v12 and only had to change the id number in the xml file for my manager picture. Still haven't tried my custom panels but now with the base skin out I think\hope most of those should work too.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #102
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

nearing the end of my first season. currently in a 20 match winless slump that dropped me from 2nd in 1st division to 16th. luckily theres only 6 games left so it looks like i will be safe from the drop and my team was only expected to be around midtable.

and the date for regens in england is March 12th
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #103
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
My only trouble, so far, is the new scouting. I am woefully short of DR and went looking. My scouts, between the three of them, only have a couple of DR's that I have no chance of getting. Too expensive, too good, and wouldn't play for me even if I had the cash. OK, lets look for players without a team, yeah good idea. My scouts, with full knowledge of England, can't come up with one DR that is looking for a club. Huh? This is playing with every team in UK, Wales, Ireland, N. Ireland fully playable with large data base. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I think I've looked about everywhere for an answer.

I would agree with this, but I'm not sure if it's necessarily a negative. Last year, if I was an English team and I wanted to scout an English player, I would usually have every single one of his attributes. Now it seems like my scout either has to have "knowledge" of him or I don't see anything. I think the latter might be more realistic (if I haven't sent a scout to watch him, how would I know how good he was) but it definitely makes for a more challenging game, especially at the lower levels where you only have a couple scouts.

I definitely agree with Fo as well, corners are way overpowered if you set them up correctly. I just won a game 5-2 with 4 of the 5 goals coming from corners, my one CB had two, my other CB had one and I got another tap in from one of my strikers. Definitely something that needs to be looked at in a patch.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #104
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
If you have a decent computer (less than two years old), i would select Custom size and then all the national reputation players from each continent, that will give you around 88k players.

If you are going to play mainly in Europe as i do, i also select all the players from the top division teams in Europe. I think my total DB had around 94k players.

Else at least select large database that will give you around 25k players, depending on the legues you select as playable.

what are your computer specs ? I will buy a new one after christmas, will be a laptop though.

How easy is moving a save game ?

Will propably start with similar setting as last year, sth around 45k.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #105
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
what are your computer specs ? I will buy a new one after christmas, will be a laptop though.

How easy is moving a save game ?

Will propably start with similar setting as last year, sth around 45k.

I play on a laptop too, but not the one i would recommend for gaming, at least considering cost.

Mine is a 5 months old Macbook Pro 2.2 15" but upgraded with an SSD HD and 8GB RAM.

Really powerful and portable, I'm so happy with it and in fact it has replaced both my home and office PC's, but so expensive compared with a windows laptop.

With the upgrades it's close to 2500€ and i wouldn't have purchased it if it wasn't for work mainly and because i wanted to try an Apple computer after hearing everybody in my industry sector saying how my productivity would increase with one. Now i agree with them, but i'm going offtopic.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #106
markprior22
High School Varsity

Thanks so much Troy....exactly what I was after
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #107
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Another deal from Amazon (this one does say US billing addresses only):

Football Manager 2012 [Download] - 20% off at $31.99

Here's the weird part - if I do a google search for Football Manager 2012, only the MAC version appears. But if I log into my Amazon account first, I see the PC link. Not sure why that is... maybe the listing is brand new.

But I just entered my Product Key into Steam, and it is now downloading...

Huh...I can only see the mac version logged in or not.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #108
whomario
Pro Starter

show off

RAM is generally the most important for FM, isnīt it ? Thereīs a couple decently priced 8GB laptops around iīm having my eyes on
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #109
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I would agree with this, but I'm not sure if it's necessarily a negative. Last year, if I was an English team and I wanted to scout an English player, I would usually have every single one of his attributes. Now it seems like my scout either has to have "knowledge" of him or I don't see anything. I think the latter might be more realistic (if I haven't sent a scout to watch him, how would I know how good he was) but it definitely makes for a more challenging game, especially at the lower levels where you only have a couple scouts.

I agree it is actually a step in the right direction and adds to the challenge. I just find it odd that I am in a situation where I have only one DR on my first team and one on my youth team, that's it, and can't come up with a list of unattached players that may want to at least try out for my club. I'd welcome almost anyone to come in for a "look-see" even knowing next to nothing about their ratings.

I'm not needing to know everything about these guys and don't expect to if my scout hasn't seen them play. I do think there needs to be a way to find free agents that are looking for a club though. Even with no current info on attributes I could at least look at their playing history and decide whether or not to offer a trial. Again, with the new gui maybe I'm just missing something that allows me to find these types of players? Maybe, even with the large data base, they simply don't exist?

It did hit me in bed last night (yeah, like all of us my club runs through my mind as I try to get to sleep) that maybe I could ask some of my players for recommendations? Getting ready to try it now but I have a feeling they will only come up with already employed players.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #110
whomario
Pro Starter

Iīll propably start as NT coach for a change and just move to 2014 and then see at what club i can get a spot for myself.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #111
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Huh...I can only see the mac version logged in or not.
I wonder why I have access to it? I did purchase another download earlier in the last week...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #112
markprior22
High School Varsity

Two more questions...

1) How do I get a recommendation from a coach/scout as to what the team needs? Last time I played (a couple of years ago) it seemed like I could get a report stating for example that the team is weak at a certain position.

2) There seems to be quite a few times when I open a player profile and the reports section is empty saying that I need to scout the player from the scouting action bar. When I click on the scouting tab, I just get the option to compare player and something else I can't remember at this time. What do I need to be able to do to be able to scout more players?

Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #113
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Two more questions...

1) How do I get a recommendation from a coach/scout as to what the team needs? Last time I played (a couple of years ago) it seemed like I could get a report stating for example that the team is weak at a certain position.

2) There seems to be quite a few times when I open a player profile and the reports section is empty saying that I need to scout the player from the scouting action bar. When I click on the scouting tab, I just get the option to compare player and something else I can't remember at this time. What do I need to be able to do to be able to scout more players?

Thanks

On #1 - that's a good question. I wonder if that concise "summary report" has been removed - I haven't found it yet either. You can see under "Team Report" the star ratings of your various positions though...so you can kind of tell at a glance there what's lacking yourself.

#2: I'm not entirely sure what you mean. To scout an individual player there's a button up top (along with the * and the "Make Offer" button) where you can order a scouting report on that player. Best bet is just to use the "Scouting Pool" option.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #114
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
On #1 - that's a good question. I wonder if that concise "summary report" has been removed - I haven't found it yet either. You can see under "Team Report" the star ratings of your various positions though...so you can kind of tell at a glance there what's lacking yourself.

Man I hope that hasn't been removed. I really think that helps me as someone with no clue about how to manage a football club.

I'm still lamenting the removal of the ability to have a coach tell you what he believes is the depth chart for a given position. Now I pretty much have to remember that so and so is our fourth best striker.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-23-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Man I hope that hasn't been removed. I really think that helps me as someone with no clue about how to manage a football club.

I'm still lamenting the removal of the ability to have a coach tell you what he believes is the depth chart for a given position. Now I pretty much have to remember that so and so is our fourth best striker.

I hope it hasn't been removed either. It was a handy lil shortcut.

You can still get the same info though on the page I mentioned - just by scanning down yourself and seeing where your first/second choices have the fewest stars.

Ditto with figuring out who's the 4th best striker or whatever. You can just go onto any of your strikers "Report" pages and see the coach's idea of the depth chart for the position (or see the top 3 on the page I mentioned).
Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #116
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Two more questions...

Thanks

2 - the player is probably based outside the zones you are able to scout. Either you need to ask the board to expand the areas where you can send your scouts, or if he is out of contract you could offer him a trial and get the evaluations from the coaches instead
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #117
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

I still remember in like 01/02 I used to hand-write depth charts in my classes in college, along with rough % of games each level should play (budding little Rafa Benitez I was at that point) for my Rosenborg dynasty.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Am I missing something regarding the depth chart? All of my scouting reports show a full depth chart at that position including placing that scouted player in the ranking of your current players. Is this what we're talking about here or something else?

FWIW......The depth chart rankings that I've seen in this game are better than anything in any previous version I've played.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #119
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Am I missing something regarding the depth chart? All of my scouting reports show a full depth chart at that position including placing that scouted player in the ranking of your current players. Is this what we're talking about here or something else?

FWIW......The depth chart rankings that I've seen in this game are better than anything in any previous version I've played.

Nope - you're not missing anything. I was just pointing that out.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #120
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

So I have read a few people talking about corner kicks scoring too frequently. Has anyone heard when the first patch will be out?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #121
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i wish i could score on some corners, but im getting raped by cornerkicks
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #122
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i wish i could score on some corners, but im getting raped by cornerkicks

Right some basic attacking corner tactics -

Pick a style and stick to it, mine is front post domination at the moment - my two best people are on the front post; one for flick ons and one for running in ... aim for that post and have one other chap with decent aggression annoy the goalkeeper (he doesn't need to be over-tall or physical but it'll help if he is ... his job is basically to get in the way) and everyone else doing other things as seems sensible.
This gets me a few goals each season - come the end of the season the two people involved have probably got 6-8 goals from corners, which while it might not sound like a lot can easily give your team a LOT of points over the course of a season.
ALWAYS keep at least two players back when you take a corner or you'll find yourself potentially hit on the break.

Defending Corners -

Conversely for defending corners you need to be flexible as you don't know what they're going to try, first thing is shift any short-arse players out of the box or tell them to mark short men (rule of thumb for me, if you're short and an attacker then you stay up front or lurk outside the box, if you're a defensive player you mark short-arses). Generally I put any medium height wide wide players on the posts (5'10-5'11) and everyone else does zonal marking ... but thats my general preference.
This isn't infallible at all - but should keep your defense reasonably tight and obviously you can 'tweak' this according to your team.
One other thing - always consider keeping your wide midfielders 'forward' for corners presuming they're fast/good dribblers - it'll help you break should you manage to get posession quickly (generally you'll find they'll stand 'wider' of the center than if you keep a striker forward and as such they'll have a bit more space to recieve the ball because defenders staying back will intentionally tend to stay central (which is sensible as it ensure they can block the route to goal).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #123
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
So I have read a few people talking about corner kicks scoring too frequently. Has anyone heard when the first patch will be out?

There was a 'day of release' update which contained a few tweaks and obviously we'll release further patches as required .... although tbh I haven't seen many issues with corners myself (apart from possible the default defensive tactic for humans being a little 'weak' for my side, not sure if its a problem with others though as I haven't tested it on other teams yet*).

*In my defense I'm not in SI QA and not 'active' in developing FM PC/Mac these days

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 10-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #124
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

So I continued on my demo game (will play it till the first patch I guess).

Won the league handily with Juventus in the first year (95pts with the runner up a good 20pts behind) thanks to a 29W-8D-1L season and a 86GF/26GA performance (swear to god I didn't save/reload at all). And actually, the one game I lost was mid-season when I gave my guys a breather against a provincial side and paid for it...wasn't expecting to have a chance at undefeated or anything so I wasn't even thinking about it.

So of course, in expectation of Champions League football I went out during the offseason and spent my $20mil to bring in 16! new players (given, 8 of those were youth guys who aren't going to sniff the first team who were brought in on frees). I knew 16 was too many and was likely to cause problems, so I scheduled some extra friendly tours (China and somewhere else).

And in my first 2 CL games...I got smoked by Arsenal at Home, and Benfica away. Finally managed to get the campaign off on the right foot with a 7-0 drubbing of poor Twente, and we'll see if I can't get points away at the Emirates and have results go my way in order to sneak an advance.

Frustrating. Ah well, at least my league campaign seems to be off to a good start at 6-1-1. Although with a loss already I doubt I'll be as good as last year.

I don't say this to boast or anything. More to say that (as I mentioned to Foz) I'm finding transfers more realistic - at least initially. Maybe it's the AI, maybe it's the way I'm playing, maybe it's the scouting and the visibility of players in the world, but to have $20mil to spend and to be able to bring in 6 guys of roughly 2.5-3 star ability for depth just sounds like...right. Some on very short money because they're old...some younger, some out of nowhere types. And a couple young free transfers of talented guys (Vladi Weiss and Yaya Sanogo) who might be useful this year (although Sanogo has missed several clear-cut chances so far and needs a run in the reserves...Weiss was good enough in friendlies that I loaned Krasic away and gave him the starting spot).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #125
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Do any of you ever play with fictional names? Does this make it more of a challenge (because you don't already know who the great players are)? Or does it really go against the true intent of taking an established team and making them champions...

I always go fictional. For me it makes it more interesting to discover who is good rather than already know.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #126
whomario
Pro Starter

i allways planned to try a fictional game, but never could bring myself to do it. If i want to go the "i donīt know stuff" route i start in a country or league iīm not familiar and still can get a kick out of facing the big names when playing against them And even though i have decent real-life-soccer-knowledge it isnīt stellar anymore and so every year i play FM and every year 90% of the players i buy are still unknown to me IRL.

as for Corners : I allways felt that setting up 1 certain way to play them was a tiny bit boring and have it on mixed for variety.

But for positioning i have :

- 1 player near post stand/flick (player with decent heading, preferably a striker because of rebounds where heīs then better suited than a defender)
- 1 player attack near post (strongest heading player, often a CB)
- 1 player attack far post (2nd strongest header)
- 1 player on edge of area (good long range shooter)

i also often have someone "attack ball from deep".

defensively like Marc i also found that itīs very effective to have a wide midfielder up front (since i mostly play with 2 attacking wingers that works well) and in adition tell your best playmaker/passer to stay on the edge of the area, in most cases heīs a bad header anyway but can do wonders for the counter attack.

Last edited by whomario : 10-24-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #127
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Warning: Here's an issue you'll need to resolve yourself before the first patch is out:

The default GK training schedule has no Positioning training in it. So, if you use the default, then your GK will get slightly worse at Positioning over time (it's bad but it affects CPU teams as well as yours, so it's equal effects)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #128
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
There was a 'day of release' update which contained a few tweaks and obviously we'll release further patches as required .... although tbh I haven't seen many issues with corners myself (apart from possible the default defensive tactic for humans being a little 'weak' for my side, not sure if its a problem with others though as I haven't tested it on other teams yet*).

*In my defense I'm not in SI QA and not 'active' in developing FM PC/Mac these days

Ok thanks Marc,

I was reading about it in one particular thread in the SI forums and I seen it mentioned here so I thought it might be an issue. I will presume that it was just a small sample size issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #129
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

How do you install kits? I swear I go through this every version. You'd have thought I'd remember by now.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #130
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
How do you install kits? I swear I go through this every version. You'd have thought I'd remember by now.

itīs C/User/documents/sports interactive/FM2012 and then there you have to create a folder called "graphics" and in that folder create one called "kits"

normally iīm not one for graphical updates but i admittedly have installed club logos for the first time ever and have to admit it makes the game a lot slicker looking
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #131
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
itīs C/User/documents/sports interactive/FM2012 and then there you have to create a folder called "graphics" and in that folder create one called "kits"

normally iīm not one for graphical updates but i admittedly have installed club logos for the first time ever and have to admit it makes the game a lot slicker looking

Oh so it's "kits" and not "logos" ? Maybe that's why my motherfucking logos weren't showing up. I'm a doofus too sometimes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-24-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #132
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just got a 22.6 MB update on Steam. Assuming it's the first patch and not a roster upgrade.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #133
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh so it's "kits" and not "logos" ? Maybe that's why my motherfucking logos weren't showing up. I'm a doofus too sometimes.

This is easily the hardest sim I have ever purchased for installing mods. I think they tried to make it simple but it ends up just being more confusing.

I messed around 2-3 hours before I got the logos to take and my logo folder isnt called "kits"

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #134
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

thereīs kits and logos available, if you downloaded logos than "logos" it is

you also in game have to go to preferences ---> display/sound and there untick "use skin cache" and tick "allways reload skin on confirm" !

Maybe itīs this ?

Last edited by whomario : 10-24-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #135
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

So what's the verdict, kids?

Buy now or wait till the first (big) patch?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
thereīs kits and logos available, if you downloaded logos than "logos" it is

you also in game have to go to preferences ---> display/sound and there untick "use skin cache" and tick "allways reload skin on confirm" !

Maybe itīs this ?

LOL...nope...I did all this. My facepack showed up just fine...for some reason the logos haven't though.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #137
whomario
Pro Starter

did you leave the file structure of the logos intact ? (folders for "europe" "africa" , "competitions" etc ?)
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
did you leave the file structure of the logos intact ? (folders for "europe" "africa" , "competitions" etc ?)

Pretty sure. Maybe I ought to check that. I didn't mess with the internal file structure of it at all.

Ah no. See...somebody cocked that up it looks like.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-24-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
So what's the verdict, kids?

Buy now or wait till the first (big) patch?

I haven't seen many issues at all thus far. Initial build is awfully good.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #140
whomario
Pro Starter

iīve admittedly only played matches so far and little else (german national team), but those are looking sweet. Allready had a few moves that made me go "oh wow" and it looks more cohesive/variable than last year. Maybe iīm delusional here, but hey

And thatīs 2D, glad they never wavered in their commitment to it as the backbone and 3D being merely a different way of showing the game engine rather than changing it.

Last edited by whomario : 10-24-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #141
TroyF
Coordinator

If you are playing on a widescreen monitor or use high res, there is a terrific add on at the SI forums. It's an extended panel for the game. On one screen you can see name, positions, best position, nationaility, age, value, ability and potential, condition, morale and stats.

It's not a big d/l and I'd share it if I could, but my internet is painful at uploads. I highly advise it for anyone on a bigger monitor.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #142
markprior22
High School Varsity

Questions about youth teams...

1) Do I need to do anything for these teams? I've got my hands full just taking care of the senior team and am hoping the youth teams are being handled by the AI

2) Are the youth teams used similar to minor leagues in baseball (i.e. getting called up to the senior team)? Can someone tell me more about how the youth teams are used?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #143
markprior22
High School Varsity

Another question....what is the first team coach? I have an assistant coach and youth coaches but no first team coaches. AI recommends five. Any particular skills I should be looking for at this position?

Last edited by markprior22 : 10-24-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #144
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LOL - so it looks like my logos have been working all along - although I never noticed them change.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #145
TroyF
Coordinator

markprior,

Your youth coaches control the youth teams. You will want to look for mentors for the really good young players. You can also put them on specific training schedules as well. (or d/l training schedules, the '11 ones work with '12. FM Scout is a good options there as well as the si forums)

First team coaches only impact the first team, not the youth squad. So the "working with youngsters" rating isn't as critical. Look for coaches who have high motivation and discipline mental traits and then look for their best coaching trait (attacking, defending, tactics, technical, etc.)

Your baseball analogy is good, with one huge difference. The youth teams practice with the senior squad, so if you wanted Chris Carpenter to help out the kid in A ball, he could do it right there on the field. I played the game for 4 years before I realized how huge mentors were. Don't make my mistake. Pair up talented youth with your talented, character guys and they will develop faster.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #146
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Pair up talented youth with your talented, character guys and they will develop faster.

Is there something specific that needs to be done here...or do you mean make sure you have some good character veterans at those positions and they will automatically mentor the young players?
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #147
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
Is there something specific that needs to be done here...or do you mean make sure you have some good character veterans at those positions and they will automatically mentor the young players?

You need to go to the player interaction screen of the player you want to be the mentor. Select development and then tutor. A drop down list of players who this player can mentor will pop up. You then have a conversation with both players to start the mentoring.

A couple of quick points. . .

The player who is getting mentored should be worse than the older player.

Your goal is to get close personality types if you can. Having a driven plyer with a light hearted player is not usually going to work out and can actually cause a locker room riff.

Save before you start your conversation with the mentor. Eac guy takes better to different type of ways and tones to Menotti. Play around with it a bit to get comfortable with it.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #148
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
You need to go to the player interaction screen of the player you want to be the mentor. Select development and then tutor. A drop down list of players who this player can mentor will pop up. You then have a conversation with both players to start the mentoring.

A couple of quick points. . .

The player who is getting mentored should be worse than the older player.

Your goal is to get close personality types if you can. Having a driven plyer with a light hearted player is not usually going to work out and can actually cause a locker room riff.

Save before you start your conversation with the mentor. Eac guy takes better to different type of ways and tones to Menotti. Play around with it a bit to get comfortable with it.

Marc and any of the other vets, if I am missing anything here, please let me know. I feel like I am still learning things about the game after thousands of hours into it. I do not want to lead new players astray.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Found a couple early training schedules done up by guys.

FM2012 Training Schedules | FMScout
Old 10-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #150
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I just messed around with the editor briefly. I really hope the new field for Random ID will help end my problems with Unique ID conflicts in situations where I want to begin a universe with multiple new national/continental rules.

For example: I plan on creating a new American league system without all the annoying MLS rules that are too difficult for SI to make work correctly. This worked fine in FM 11. But I also want to revamp the North American competition rules, adding a secondary competition similar to the Europa League/Copa Sudamericana. This would not work for me in FM 11 since all new competitions (in new rules files) would be assigned the same new Unique ID. I am hoping the purpose of this new Random ID is to make such conflicts extremely unlikely (with it being a randomly generated 9 digit number).

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-24-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote