Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
bbor
Pro Starter

Hasek to the Avs????

Rumours are persisting that the Avs are on the verge of luring Dominick Hasek out of retirement and back onto the ice to be the replacment for the recently retired Pat Roy.

WOW!

GM of the year for Lacroix if he pulls this off.Replacing one Hall of famer with another.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Crazy!

That would be a great pick-up by the Avs if they can pull it off and put them right back in the Cup mix...

Though I did hear a rumor from a friend the other day who told me that Forsberg might be playing for his dad's team in Sweden next year. Have you heard anything about that?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
bbor
Pro Starter

He's been grumbling bout that for awhile...but if Hasek comes to the Avs...i'm pretty sure Forsberg will stick around

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Cool. Good news...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

would have never dreamed up the Hasek thing in a million years. (although I've always assumed Dom would be back in the NHL at some point)
Old 06-02-2003, 03:40 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Won't he have to go back to the Czech Republic every couple days to meet with his parole officer though?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
cmp
Pro Rookie

He better not go the Avs. I want them to suffer next year! Even if he does come back, the Wings will beat em.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'm confused. If Hasek, who unlike Curtis Joseph has won a Cup for Detroit, does go to the Avs... who do Red Wings fans cheer for during next years Annual Avs/Wings Goalie Fight?

Edit: smartasses.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 06-02-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:28 PM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
I'm confused. If Hasek, who unlike Curtis Joseph has won a Cup for Detroit, does go to the Avs... who do Red Wings fans cheer for during next years Annual Habs/Wings Goalie Fight?

Theodore?

I'm confused too...
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The Wings still retain the rights to Hasek. There is no way, if he were to come back, the Wings would let him go to the Avalanche.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:42 PM   #11
bbor
Pro Starter

Are you sure they own his rights?

I have heard nothing so far of this.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:48 PM   #12
ice4277
Pro Rookie

bbor,

Here's the link , and the text as follows:

Hasek could draw interest

Teams might seek to acquire rights to ex-Wings goalie.

By Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- With so many teams in need of a quality No. 1 goaltender, the Wings could have a valuable bargaining chip on their hands -- Dominik Hasek.

Teams such as Philadelphia and Vancouver, second-round playoff losers who desperately want to upgrade their goaltending, might approach Hasek's agent, Rich Winter, about the chances of Hasek returning to the NHL.

The Wings still hold a club option on Hasek's contract, so any interested club would have to work out a trade with the Wings to get Hasek, 38.

"I joke with Dom all the time about the fact I get calls," Winter said Tuesday. "He's never given me any indication that he'd like to play again. But I'm not surprised these rumors are surfacing with so many teams in need of goaltending, and the greatest goaltender of all time still capable of playing. He would be energized by the year away."

Holland said Tuesday he hasn't talked with either Winter or Hasek.

"I've been hearing the same things," Holland said. "I've had no conversations with either Rich or Dominik. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you."

With goalie Curtis Joseph going into the second year of a three-year contract, which includes a no-trade clause, the Wings likely would entertain trade offers for Hasek if he expressed interest in playing again.

I've heard it a couple other places, Sporting News I believe as well. I just can't imagine a way that the Wings would ever trade the rights to one of the Western contenders, especially the Avalanche.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:31 PM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

THx ice......i had'nt seen that.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
Canadian Football Guy
n00b

Not going to happen. Why?

1. Detroit if they did let him come back would not let him go to Colorado or any of the other contenders in the west. The last thing they would want was for Colorado with Hasel to knock them out and go to the Stanley Cup.

2. He has been playing pick up hockey in the Czech Republic for the last year and has not even been playing as goalie. I think it would have some effect on his reflexes and conditioning and with camps opening in 2.5 months I am not sure he could get himself back into NHL shape, not for the start of teh season again.

3. One of the reasons that he left the NHL was so he could take his family home and raise his kids in his home country, I don't think another $10 million or whatever he would make would be enough to lure him back.

4. How long could he play? He is 38 years old and as good as he was is getting older.

Who knows though, maybe the guy he assaulted will win a $10 million law suit and he will have to play to pay it. Never say never I guess.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:25 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Football Guy
Not going to happen. Why?

1. Detroit if they did let him come back would not let him go to Colorado or any of the other contenders in the west. The last thing they would want was for Colorado with Hasel to knock them out and go to the Stanley Cup.

2. He has been playing pick up hockey in the Czech Republic for the last year and has not even been playing as goalie. I think it would have some effect on his reflexes and conditioning and with camps opening in 2.5 months I am not sure he could get himself back into NHL shape, not for the start of teh season again.

3. One of the reasons that he left the NHL was so he could take his family home and raise his kids in his home country, I don't think another $10 million or whatever he would make would be enough to lure him back.

4. How long could he play? He is 38 years old and as good as he was is getting older.

Who knows though, maybe the guy he assaulted will win a $10 million law suit and he will have to play to pay it. Never say never I guess.

All four are good reasons. But you can start and end the debate with #1. No. way. ever. There was some talk of the Wings trading Hasek, considering he's still quite an asset, but they would never trade him to Colorado or any other big time Western Conference team.

I am still not sure what Colorado will do. There are the obvious choices already mentioned. But at the moment you have two big-time, big-money teams looking for goalies, Philly and Colorado, with very little in the way of UFA goalies of note. From all accounts Khabibuhlin or Grahame in Tampa could be available, Burke is always an optiion it seems, Hackett is a free agent, there is a bit of a log-jam in Buffalo at the moment. Interesting summer...
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:52 PM   #16
Larry Brown
In The Penalty Box

If you ask the Iraqi Information Minister, he would tell you that obviously, the Avs have already signed Hasek...
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #17
IraqiInformationMinister

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Brown
If you ask the Iraqi Information Minister, he would tell you that obviously, the Avs have already signed Hasek...

No. Larry Brown, you know nothing. You have no idea what is going on. Dominick Hasek has been playing for the Detroit Red Wings for the past two seasons. Didn't you watch last night when the Detroit Red Wings and Hasek humilated the Devils. Did you watch Hasek in the First Round of the playoffs as he and the Red Wings dominated those infidels from Anaheim. Hasek never retired, he's still playing. You all do not know what you are talking about. To hell you will all go.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #18
Larry Brown
In The Penalty Box

HAHAHAHAHA, um...no!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:07 PM   #19
ice4277
Pro Rookie

The thing I hate about the internet is, when one person does something funny once, everybody has to pile on and copy it until its so worn out it is never funny again.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:25 PM   #20
Larry Brown
In The Penalty Box

Yes I know, I am funny, the other copiers, No they are not. LOL I hate it too ice, I hate it too!
Old 06-03-2003, 06:31 PM   #21
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
The thing I hate about the internet is, when one person does something funny once, everybody has to pile on and copy it until its so worn out it is never funny again.

even worse, they never know when to stop.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:41 PM   #22
tucker342
Pro Starter

that would be a huge pick up for the Avs if it happened...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #23
Larry Brown
In The Penalty Box

I am stopping now!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:13 PM   #24
Larry Brown
In The Penalty Box

Nah, how about now!