Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

OT Ping: Cincinnati and Milwaukee baseball fans

I need some fantasy help that none of the websites I go to will cover. (They are too busy writing their 800th article on how good a year Rob Nen will have or why you should budget a lot of money on Mike Piazza)

Cinci fans: What is the story with Jose Guillen? I understand Griffey, Dunn, and Kearns and going to start even though several of them are a bit overhyped. But why does Bob Boone play Jose Guillen so sparingly? A case could be made that Guillen can't continue to put up those type numbers if he played everyday, but at least give him the chance to prove you right! He has only played in half the games and ranks among league leaders in RBI's and HR's. Is the guy a jerk or is there something else I am not getting?

Brewer fans: What about Jayson Dourcher? I picked him after having a great year with him last year. I thought that he might get the closer role until he got hurt. Is Dejean in for the long haul or is there a possibility of a trade of either guy where I may get some value out of having Durocher on my team.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Yikes, there are Brewer fans here??
Old 06-03-2003, 11:01 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast

I thought about that after I posted. I figured with Shorty and some of the Queen City crew I could get some insight on the Reds, so I decided to try and throw a bone to a closet Brewer fan. (Or somebody who knows a lot about baseball)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Re: OT Ping: Cincinnati and Milwaukee baseball fans

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd
He has only played in half the games and ranks among league leaders in RBI's and HR's. Is the guy a jerk or is there something else I am not getting?

Yes, that's it. Bob Boone's a jerk. And not a very bright one at that.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:09 AM   #5
henry296
College Starter

Until this year Jose Guillen has had little to no success. He played for at least 3 teams including two of the worst offenses in the league (Pittsburgh and TB) and they gave up on him. My big question for Bob Boone is why Sean Casey?

Todd
Old 06-03-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296
My big question for Bob Boone is why Sean Casey?

Todd

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Re: OT Ping: Cincinnati and Milwaukee baseball fans

Quote:
Originally posted by panerd

Cinci fans: What is the story with Jose Guillen? I understand Griffey, Dunn, and Kearns and going to start even though several of them are a bit overhyped. But why does Bob Boone play Jose Guillen so sparingly? A case could be made that Guillen can't continue to put up those type numbers if he played everyday, but at least give him the chance to prove you right! He has only played in half the games and ranks among league leaders in RBI's and HR's. Is the guy a jerk or is there something else I am not getting?

Let see, first of all lets just assume that Bob Boone is a moron. He can't keep a lineup he likes and has proceeded to upset Adam Dunn by trying to play Guillen when he can.

The other problem is that there is no way to play 5 players at 4 spots. They can't do a rotation of Kearns, Griffey, Dunn, Guillen, Casey and expect to win. Your going to upset players who are going to be with the team more than 1 season (Guillen signed a 1 year contract). So of course Guillen gets to ride the bench while Adam Dunn does his best Rob Deer impersonation.

Now there are some fans in Cincy who have visions of the Reds and Yankees making another trade with the Reds taking Jeff Weaver off their hands in return for Guillen and some other players, but I'm not really sure how that would work.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #8
clintl
College Starter

I'm not a Reds fan, but my guess is that Guillen is not starting because he has a long history of not being as good as Griffey, Dunn, and Kearns (this year's stats notwithstanding). I would do the same thing, since I would be expecting Guillen's performance to revert to his past history at any moment now. Plus, Guillen has played a lot more than half the games (44) so far. Until his hot start this year, Guillen has been a below average hitter for an outfielder.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #9
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

In my original post I was actually wondering if Jose Guillen was a jerk, not Bob Boone. I understand the dilemma of too many players and not enough positions. But from an outside perspective why not serve one of those players up for some starting pitching? I bet the Reds could get Jake Peavy from the Padres for Griffey Jr. That would be the steal of the century. If they aren't looking to deal Griffey than I would say to get rid of Guillen. (If for no other reason than to increase his fantasy value.)

Last edited by panerd : 06-03-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:24 AM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by clintl
Plus, Guillen has played a lot more than half the games (44) so far. Until his hot start this year, Guillen has been a below average hitter for an outfielder.

Yeah, but a lot of those appearances have been pinch-hitting and late inning replacements. He has only about half the at-bats as a lot of the other players. (OK, looking at the stats again maybe 60%) I agree, if he starts playing and batting .230 then you were correct, but would you rather have Gullien's .340 or Dunn's .220?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:46 AM   #11
clintl
College Starter

There's no question that Guillen has been better than Dunn up to this point this season, but I would be surprised if it were still true at season's end, based on past performance. To be honest, if Griffey weren't so injury prone, I'd trade Guillen right now if I could when his value may have peaked, and bet on Dunn ending up with better stats at year's end. And there's little reason to think at this point that Dunn won't end up the vastly superior player in the long run.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:33 PM   #12
Craptacular
College Starter

I used to be a Brewers fan, does that count?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #13
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by ardent enthusiast

Damn right there is one Brewers fan here. Sure they suck, but hey, at least we have Bob Uecker to listen to.

Anyway about the question, I haven't heard any tradewinds regarding DeJean. Mostly I've been hearing that some teams want Leskanic. When the trading deadline comes around, I wouldn't be surprised to see DeJean go though. The question is, who will replace him?

Before this year the answer would have been Luis Vizcaino. But this guy has been so absolutely atrocious this year he's not even pitching in pressure situations these days (thank god). As for Durocher, he'd probably be the most logical choice should DeJean be traded and he comes back from his injury full strength. But the fact that Vizcaino has gone downhill so much makes me think that Doug Melvin won't trade him unless some desperate sucker gives up too much for him. But the two guys I'd see as closer if DeJean would be traded are Durocher and possibly Leo Estrella (lights out since coming up from AAA).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:36 PM   #14
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Jose Guillen went back to his native country Venezuela during the winter after last season and played baseball.

Word is that he really worked his tail off on getting his swing right. So far, we have seen the results of all that hard work that he put in.

Yes. He deserves to play eveyday with the way he has played, but when he signed with the Reds he agreed to be the Reds 4th OF. When Griffey got hurt, he got his chance and he excelled at it and now he wants to be traded so that he can play everyday.

I can't much blame him for wanting to be traded, because he is having a breakout season which in turn could result in him getting a big time contract.

But he did sign as a 4th OF, so that is the card he has been dealt recently. I had him on my fantasy team when Griffey got hurt and boy did he help me out, but as soon as Jr. cameback I let him go.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #15
Butter
Coordinator

What I don't think anyone has mentioned is that I think Boone is trying to ride out this rough patch until Griffey pulls up lame again. Or Casey. Or Dunn or Kearns. Any of the 5 go down, then you look like a frickin' genius for keeping them all.

But Kearns has been unbelievable this year. Dunn seems to be regressing in his knowledge of the strike zone, which was already questionable. Guillen will go the way of Juan Encarnacion by the trade deadline, if he keeps producing. GM Jim Bowden is probably trying his butt off every day to convince someone that this kid's for real, and get something other than a couple of questionable prospects for him.

I still don't think they trade Griffey, despite the deal they had worked for Nevin in the offseason.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:14 PM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Is Curt Leskanic still the wacko that he was when he was a memeber of the Rockies? I remember that he had tons of superstitions and traditions that he had to follow...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #17
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
Is Curt Leskanic still the wacko that he was when he was a memeber of the Rockies? I remember that he had tons of superstitions and traditions that he had to follow...

He received a lot of coverage a few years back when he was the closer in Milwaukee. He was a wacko for the most part, yes. Not sure of the specifics but he was out there. Then he lost the job and eventually got hurt and is only now making his way back.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote