Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #351
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Back to Civ 6 playing on apocalypse mode and it's brutal.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #352
Thomkal
Head Coach

The two expansions are now on sale at Epic. Not sure the first one, Rise and Fall qualifies for the Epic sale coupon for $10 off (it's 14.99 when the coupon is for $15 or more), but Gathering Storm does qualify, which makes it $10.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #353
henry296
College Starter

If have base Civ on Steam and the expansions on Epic is that a problem?
Old 05-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #354
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
If have base Civ on Steam and the expansions on Epic is that a problem?

Yes (I think). They are competitors, so you won't get a key from Epic which you could use on Steam.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #355
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
The two expansions are now on sale at Epic. Not sure the first one, Rise and Fall qualifies for the Epic sale coupon for $10 off (it's 14.99 when the coupon is for $15 or more), but Gathering Storm does qualify, which makes it $10.

I can confirm now I got the second coupon for $10 off for using the original during the sale, which I then used to get Rise and Fall as well for a total of $15 for both. And I got another $10 coupon which I can use anytime until Nov 1 I think on anything $15 or more. A really good deal if you didn't already have a lot of time committed to Civ 6 on Steam.

There was an iniital problem with buying them, but I contacted Support, and that appears to be fixed now.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Back to Civ 6 playing on apocalypse mode and it's brutal.

I watched a little bit of a playthrough with it (Quill18 maybe? somebody at any rate), yeah, it pretty much bordered on comical at Deity difficulty.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #357
spleen1015
Coordinator

Starting a game as Seondeok. First goal is to play long enough to get to the Classical Era.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 05-30-2020 at 07:27 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #358
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Civilization 6 gets Byzantium and Gaul in its Frontier Pass next week | PCGamesN

I might actually get this one.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I play as the Kongo for this reason.

I played them once in a random start, and having come from two straight long games that ended up being religion focused, it was a hella change.

If anyone hasn't played as them yet but has been frustrated by the missionary hordes, definitely give it a try. It was very ... palate cleansing in my experience with it.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #360
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, the religious missionaries are too distracting. I will give it a shot next time.

I will say that Civ is lower on my play list nowadays.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #361
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I never got into Civ VI. I tried it a few times, but I just didn't . . . get it. I love Civ V. But I couldn't make the conversion.

Listening to a bunch of my friends talk about it, I think that I just missed something, and if I could get into it, I'd enjoy it. And, with the holiday break coming up, there's no time like now to try again.

Are there some good YouTube videos/tutorials for someone who's into Civ but had trouble getting into Civ VI? I need something to jump start me.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #362
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I'm not that great but have won about 4-5 complete playthroughs with Greece.

Been playing China and here's my early game strategy.

Find a good spot by a river or lake. Has to have a flat land adjacent by Stone within 3 hexes. I aim to build Stonehenge and get a head start on creating my religion.

So find a good spot. I normally build a Scout first while I send my Warrior exploring. After Scout is built I send it exploring. I then build a Builder which, as China, allows me to speed up my Wonder. Sometime I get lucky with my exploration and get a Builder when I find a Village. After the Builder, I go for a Settler. I then send out the Settler to start my second City while my first City starts with Stonehenge.

So to recap - Scout, Builder, Settler, Stonehenge. Sometimes I go with Builder, Settler, Stonehenge.

25-33% of time, another Civ beats me to it but I generally get Stonehenge built around 3300 or 3400 BC, which then allows me to create my Religion. By that time, I have 2 Cities. I then work on another Settler and Warrior in my 2 cities.

Skill tree wise, I go for - Astrology, Mining, Bronze. Bronze reveals Iron and I try to place my 3rd City by the Iron. If there is no Iron close by, I restart.

Hope this helps some.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #363
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'd recommend Potato McWhiskey, a top-class Civ player. It's not recent, but as Civ 6 is a mature game that probably won't matter; this is a new-player Scythia tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78UT...TGqfD932qUo8vX. He also did an intermediate China one and has a bunch of tips videos or high-level/challenge material.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:10 AM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'd recommend Potato McWhiskey, a top-class Civ player. It's not recent, but as Civ 6 is a mature game that probably won't matter; this is a new-player Scythia tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78UT...TGqfD932qUo8vX. He also did an intermediate China one and has a bunch of tips videos or high-level/challenge material.

Not a bad idea for beginners/intermediates but definitely pick & choose which vids to watch. He's really high on the knowledge curve & could lose people in a regular play due to his speed, repetition. Those lower level & tips vids are the way to go, not just any ol' lets play vid.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #365
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So when I start the game from Steam, I don't get the expansions I purchased.

Anyone else having the same problem?

ETA: From reading steam forums I'm not the only one having this problem

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-10-2021 at 11:15 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 AM   #366
Edward64
Head Coach

I play Civ 6 on Steam. No issues with expansions.

Maybe do a complete re-install?

On another note, when playing Civ 6 on my laptop, it locks up every 100 turns or so and I have to load last save. I don't have this problem on my desktop so know it has to be drivers of some sort. Enough of a frustration but still much prefer playing Civ 6 on laptop out in my living room while watching TV with missus.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-11-2021 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #367
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So when I start the game from Steam, I don't get the expansions I purchased.

Anyone else having the same problem?

ETA: From reading steam forums I'm not the only one having this problem

I recently purchased the 6 pack of DLC's from Epic. When I went into the game to play with the new civs I got, only three were there, and in the manage games setting on their launcher shows that I only have three of the DLC's available, Epic says that my account shows I have all 6 DLC's installed, so now we are going back and forth with the various solutions-cache, dxdiag. etc.

I thought it was just something with my computer, but now it seems like it may be something with CIV 6 instead. I will have to check the steam forums to see if anyone is having my issue too. Thanks for letting us know about this
Old 04-11-2021, 10:26 AM   #368
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The problem (for Steam users anyway) is that 2K games decided they needed to add their own launcher to the game. So when I click "play" apparently 2K Games decided I wanted see another launcher instead of, you know, going straight into the game. And the launcher is broken.

So I found a solution in the Steam forums. You have to change the launch options to:

"F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

Obviously substitute your own full game path. This bypasses the broken, useless 2k Games launcher.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #369
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hmm thanks saw the new launcher and wondered if that was the culprit. Will have to see if that helps
Old 04-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #370
Thomkal
Head Coach

2kGames working on a fix for the various launcher issues
Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #371
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Epic basically passed the ball to 2k Games, basically saying the problem is with them and go to their support site for help
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #372
Thomkal
Head Coach

They announced an update for Civ 6 tonight that's supposed to fix many of the issues with the launcher. Haven't downloaded it yet, so let us know if it helped your issues at all.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #373
Butter
Coordinator

The 2K launcher is completely unnecessary. I get that they probably want to sell it on their own site so they can cut out the middleman, but why not just wait until Civ 7 to do that.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #374
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I actually haven't had any issues with the launcher surprisingly. I keep having problems with disabled mods enabling themselves on their own, which prevents you from starting a game and doesn't install conflicting options. So I have to disable the mods and restart. Guess I need to uninstall the mods.

Don't know why I don't have launcher problems ... unless the Mac version works. The launcher has been in Mac for a long time.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #375
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I recently purchased the 6 pack of DLC's from Epic. When I went into the game to play with the new civs I got, only three were there, and in the manage games setting on their launcher shows that I only have three of the DLC's available, Epic says that my account shows I have all 6 DLC's installed, so now we are going back and forth with the various solutions-cache, dxdiag. etc.

I thought it was just something with my computer, but now it seems like it may be something with CIV 6 instead. I will have to check the steam forums to see if anyone is having my issue too. Thanks for letting us know about this

So I went back to try a new game today and had the same issue. So I was fiddling around with the Epic launcher which I'm not as familiar with as Steam's. I notice when you click the three lines at the bottom right of each game in your library various options are available. One of them is Manage DLC's, so I click on it and there are all of the DLC's I just bought,,,but for some reason three are turned on and 3 are turned off. So I turned then on and looks like they are installing. No idea why the three didn't install with the others. Hope that fixes things for me when I start a game later
Old 04-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #376
Icy
Pro Starter

What is the current game status for playing solo? is the AI better than at launch? haven't touched it since then.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #377
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

New patch has dropped today, including 3 new units.

April 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion | CivFanatics Forums
Old 04-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #378
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah looks like that might be the last update for the game from what I'm seeing. Some good news for my copy of the game on Epic-after the update installed, I uninstalled/installed Civ 6, went into the game and all my DLC's are there, and I can play the new countries I just installed. What a relief. Setting up a game was still pretty laggy though and eventually got an error
Old 04-29-2021, 05:04 PM   #379
Thomkal
Head Coach

Starting to see the first Let's plays for one civ-like game I've been keeping an eye on. Humankind pop up on you-tube. Assume the usual suspects will be playing it too. Also keeping an eye out on The Old World which is in Early access over at Epic
Old 08-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #380
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw an article a day or three ago that speculated Civ VII may be in the works based on a Firaxis ad looking for a narrative lead with knowledge and passion for world history that basically hit on all of the expected experience and duties you'd expect for someone who would lead a Civ VII production. Seems like it's about time.

Personally, I did not enjoy or get into Civ VI at all. In fact, I just recently went back to Civ V for the first time in a while. It's nearly perfect.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #381
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Personally, I did not enjoy or get into Civ VI at all. In fact, I just recently went back to Civ V for the first time in a while. It's nearly perfect.

Same boat. Neither me nor my wife (who played the shit out of the last couple Civs) could get into 6. We both went back to 5.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #382
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Same boat. Neither me nor my wife (who played the shit out of the last couple Civs) could get into 6. We both went back to 5.

Ditto, I just can't make the shift. CIV 6 bores me to tears.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #383
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Ditto, I just can't make the shift. CIV 6 bores me to tears.

Tritto. I can't quite place my finger on it but can't dig CIV 6. Too abstract? Too simplified? I dunno. Neither of those criticisms seems to land when you look at Civ games as a whole.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #384
Edward64
Head Coach

There are 2 things I don't like about Civ 6.

The religion aspect and not able to really turn it off. And the late game Civ seems to rushed (can't enjoy my modern military). But all the Civs suffered from the latter. But enjoying the game especially the early game.

It's scary to think I've been playing since the original Civ.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #385
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I actually really enjoy Civ 6, but I agree that Religion is tedious as hell.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #386
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Know what completely weird thing just drove me nuts from day 1? The fog of war map. I utterly hated it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #387
Ksyrup

Totally agree!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #388
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I saw an article a day or three ago that speculated Civ VII may be in the works based on a Firaxis ad looking for a narrative lead with knowledge and passion for world history that basically hit on all of the expected experience and duties you'd expect for someone who would lead a Civ VII production. Seems like it's about time.

I saw that article. But doesn't that mean Civ 7 is about 3 years away?
Old 09-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #389
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody playing HUMANKIND?

How is it?
Old 09-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #390
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Most reviews I've read have been fairly complimentary, most actual people I know who have commented on it were quite disappointed.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #391
bhlloy
Coordinator

It’s definitely not anything like Civ, if you go in with a different expectation and appreciate games like Northgard and Endless Legend you might like it. But even with those concerns aside I don’t think anyone agrees it’s a polished $50 or $60 game at the moment.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:20 PM   #392
Edward64
Head Coach

Been playing Civ 6 this past week with the Zombie Apocalypse on. Pretty much had the horde under control until 1400 or so. Then all of a sudden a ton (like 8 of them and then another 6 or so popped up) of them appeared out of no where and started attacking my cities.

Put up a valiant effort with my musket men, archers, cannon etc. but that city fell. I hate this crap. They must have been the WWZ kind because they overcame my Renaissance walls.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #393
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone still fire this game up? I do every once in a while.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #394
Edward64
Head Coach

I do.

But time for some new content/mechanics vs just new leaders
Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #395
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I still play, but I'm terrible at it. I usually play the first 150 turns or so until it becomes clear that I am falling behind and then restart with a new civ
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #396
Edward64
Head Coach

I generally play as Greece, China or Japan. I guess that's why I don't really like the Leaders DLCs that much.

I did play the zombie mode some. Enjoyed the early games but haven't beaten that yet. Too frustrating when multiple zombie units just pop out of nowhere right beside your city.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #397
Izulde
Head Coach

This got me to install and fire up Civ V. Having a fun run as the Egyptians. I had more Civ V DLC than I realized. Was still missing some of them (including the Brave New World major expansion), but was able to pick up the ones I didn't have in a bundle for just $3.21, which was pretty exciting.

Didn't like the look of Civ VI - too cartoony and trying for humor, and given all the complaints on Steam and here in this thread, I'm fine sticking with V

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:03 PM   #398
Ksyrup

I still spend hours a week playing Civ IV: Colonization - at least, the user modded version We the People. Although I played the shit out of the original early 90s Colonization, I hated Civ IV: Colonization until I ran across a couple of mods at least a decade later, and I'm still playing it. It looks like an update is being worked on by a bunch of the mod team that I hope will be released in the next 6 months.

Between the original Colonization and the modded new version, that's my favorite game of all time. I'll occasionally fire up Civ V but I always go back to We the People.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:57 PM   #399
Edward64
Head Coach

I admire you guys continuing to play the older versions. I've always had to make the jump. Too many pretty stuff and goodies.

I'm estimating I'll be on Civ 8 when I die.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #400
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I still spend hours a week playing Civ IV: Colonization - at least, the user modded version We the People. Although I played the shit out of the original early 90s Colonization, I hated Civ IV: Colonization until I ran across a couple of mods at least a decade later, and I'm still playing it. It looks like an update is being worked on by a bunch of the mod team that I hope will be released in the next 6 months.

Between the original Colonization and the modded new version, that's my favorite game of all time. I'll occasionally fire up Civ V but I always go back to We the People.

So I loved the original 90s Colonization. Also one of my favourite games of all-time and I probably played it an equal amount compared to the original Civ. Likewise, I could take or leave the Civ IV upgrade. I had heard great things about We The People but there was almost a little too much new content when I first fired it up, such as resources, buildings, professions, etc. Maybe I gave up on it too quickly.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote