Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #201
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The bigger problem for Firefly is getting the cast. Nathan Filion is on Castle. Morena Baccarin is on Homeland. Gina Torres is on Suits. Doing a whole season of Firefly that fits their schedules just isn't practical. And the first movie required a $40million budget. Veronica Mars is a much cheaper product to produce.

Just let the director film a few scenes with her topless and then you can have her.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #202
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The bigger problem for Firefly is getting the cast. Nathan Filion is on Castle. Morena Baccarin is on Homeland. Gina Torres is on Suits. Doing a whole season of Firefly that fits their schedules just isn't practical. And the first movie required a $40million budget. Veronica Mars is a much cheaper product to produce.

+ SteveW.

Agreed. I was mostly pipe-dreaming. But I bet Firefly could raise $10M given the audience and nerd dollars involved. And $10M probably pays for one, stripped down cheap season (10 episodes - max).
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #203
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Plus Joss is deep in the Avengers stuff now - sequel, SHEILD TV series, etc.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #204
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

GameSpot

Shadowrun returns live demo in 10 minutes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #205
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
GameSpot

Shadowrun returns live demo in 10 minutes

I'm already in this one for $15. Turn based tactical combat? DONE!
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #206
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm in for a hell of a lot more.. what can I say, Shadowrun Dog Tags that are a USB card with a copy of the game on it? DONE!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #207
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm in for a hell of a lot more.. what can I say, Shadowrun Dog Tags that are a USB card with a copy of the game on it? DONE!

I wanted to be, and I wish I could up my backer right now, but I have been in for the $15 and can't wait for this.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #208
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You CAN up your backer if you want.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #209
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm already in for a t-shirt and Doc Wagon card.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #210
Blackadar
Retired

I pulled my money from the Avatar project. After looking over the updates, they're a very long way away from completion and I'm not convinced I like the game direction. When it comes out, I very well may pay full price for it. I probably will. But as for now, I'm just not convinced this is the way to go. The engine looks rudimentary, I don't like the idea of the two-tiered world and I need to hear more about the online aspects.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #211
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
You CAN up your backer if you want.

How do you do this? I have been all over trying to figure it out.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #212
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Shackleton Crater by Joseph Ybarra — Kickstarter

Shackleton Crater. I must say I'm interested in the concept even if I'm having a little bit of trouble picturing what the finished product will be about. Could be something that could either be really awesome or a complete turd to play. I'm definitely interested in seeing if it goes anywhere though!
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #213
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Shackleton Crater by Joseph Ybarra — Kickstarter

Shackleton Crater. I must say I'm interested in the concept even if I'm having a little bit of trouble picturing what the finished product will be about. Could be something that could either be really awesome or a complete turd to play. I'm definitely interested in seeing if it goes anywhere though!

Could be interesting, but with 2% after 4 days it looks like it has no chance of funding.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #214
Ramzavail
College Starter

I wish kickstarter had an app for Android. :/
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #215
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Could be interesting, but with 2% after 4 days it looks like it has no chance of funding.

Well, $700k is an *awful* lot to ask given what's been shown.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #216
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Inspired by “Veronica Mars” success, Zachary Levi has faith “Chuck” movie can happen - Salon.com
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #217
mckerney
Coordinator

Only seen a few episodes of Veronica Mars and might have backed the movie if you got a digital copy around the $15 level, would probably back a Chuck movie for at least $35 though.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #218
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
How do you do this? I have been all over trying to figure it out.

Shadowrun Returns by Harebrained Schemes LLC » Want To Upgrade Your Backer Level? — Kickstarter
Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #219
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
The Kickstarter will be cancelled within a week.

Nailed it.

New direction forward for Civitas. Thank you all! — Kickstarter

Quote:
Posted by Brandon Smith
Hello Everyone,
I just wanted to let everyone know how much we have all appreciated the support we have received here on kickstarter. The massive support and publicity we received here is more than we could have ever imagined.
This kickstarter has opened doors for us that we never thought could be opened for such a small up-and-coming studio like ours. We just wanted to let everyone know that our studio has been able to secure private funding that will carry us through the development cycle of Civitas. Our teams talent and experience, combined with the support of you guys here on kickstarter made this funding possible. Even though we are on track to fund 100%, we feel like this will be a better option for our studio at this time. We didn't reach this decision lightly, but after a few days of debate between the members of our team, we finally agreed that this would be our best option. This funding will in no way effect the final outcome of our game, except that it will allow us to focus our efforts completely on developing Civitas, better reach out to the community, and grow our team without having to manage the kickstarter and do everything else at the same time. The best part is we will be able to do this without having to use your money to get there. Don't ever let anyone tell you that managing a highly successful kickstarter is easy, it's a full time job.
Our private funding did not cause us to lose any creative control over Civitas, or our studio in general. Civitas will still be released DRM free on all of the platforms we currently plan to support. We thank you all because we would not have been able to do any of this without you guys.
We will be relaunching our website tomorrow with updated information about Civitas, new improved forums, and ways for a limited number of people to participate in the beta program. We will also still have ways for people to get the same Civitas gear and everything else we had offered on our kickstarter. We don't want to leave anyone out on anything like that. Please check us out, share ideas in the forums, and follow our progress. We look forward to a bright future with all of you involved.
Look around kickstarter, there are some other great projects to shift your funding over to!

I for one totally believe publishers were lining up with their 4 screenshots and secret team of industry veterans.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #220
mckerney
Coordinator

And about that, "on track for funding," they mentioned.

Here are their trending charts after they lost $400 from the pledge total on the 17th.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #221
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Nailed it.

New direction forward for Civitas. Thank you all! — Kickstarter

I for one totally believe publishers were lining up with their 4 screenshots and secret team of industry veterans.

Good call! I'm obviously not surprised. And I don't believe that any private publishers lined up to fund this game. Yesterday there were quite a few posts on the Civitas forums that pointed out misstatements by Brandon Smith and some of his real experience. Some of the information presented was in direct contradiction to some of his claims. That the kickstarter was pulled with 12 hours of this information being posted is very telling.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #222
mckerney
Coordinator

Over $100 Million Pledged to Games » The Kickstarter Blog — Kickstarter

Games Category Stats
  • Total Dollars: $107.6 Million
  • Successful projects: 1,476
  • Total Backers: 633,242

In the past four years, more than 633,242 backers have pledged to more than 4,500 Games projects, nearly 1,000 of them in the past year alone. After the launch of Double Fine Adventure in February 2012, things really took off:

Dollars Pledged to Games
  • 2009: $60,601
  • 2010: $546,362
  • 2011: $3,855,692
  • 2012: $83,144,565
  • 2013: $22,423,264 (to date)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #223
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If any of you remember Thul who used to post here back in the day (though he posted a lot more in the HFL forums than here), he's created a kickstarter page for a card game he's developing called Dragon Clash. I know card games are a kind of controversial subject around here these days, but if anyone is interested, check it out!

Dragon Clash by Marc Aranha — Kickstarter
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #224
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
If any of you remember Thul who used to post here back in the day (though he posted a lot more in the HFL forums than here), he's created a kickstarter page for a card game he's developing called Dragon Clash. I know card games are a kind of controversial subject around here these days, but if anyone is interested, check it out!

Dragon Clash by Marc Aranha — Kickstarter

He's got to get that reviewed by Tom Vasel, Joel(eekamouse), or Lance(UndeadViking). I'm subbed to the Left Handed Review guy, but he is a lesser know reviewer. Same with Father Geek. Also, unless I'm missing something, the KS is only for the one deck and not for any of the previous ones which is going to hurt it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #225
Thul
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Also, unless I'm missing something, the KS is only for the one deck and not for any of the previous ones which is going to hurt it.

Thanks for the plug, Passacaglia and hi all - it's been a long time since my HFL days! Fond memories Great to see that league still clicking along.

@Matthean - Yes, the Kickstarter is focused on the goal of expanding the game with new decks and dragons. I think it's important to have one clear mission when asking for funding. If I was to do print runs of all 5 decks (the 4 previously released and the new Red Mauler), the funding goal would have to be MUCH higher than the $5,000 I'm asking for.

That said, I do have plans to offer within the scope of the Kickstarter (and perhaps enhance them), if we exceed funding and, whether the KS funds or not, the core 4 decks will be available again at the end of the KS for anyone to grab.

Thanks for the feedback.
Thul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #226
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

And another interesting looking game I went ahead and backed:

Divinity: Original Sin by Larian Studios LLC — Kickstarter

It looks like they already have the base game created and just want to add more stuff to it. It sounds pretty impressive. Their timing doesn't appear to be great with Torment still having a week to go and the Ultima project still ongoing I believe though.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #227
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Played this at PAX East and immediately backed 'em. I recommend y'all do the same, especially if you liked the old NES Zelda II or Castlevania games. Shovel Knight by Yacht Club Games — Kickstarter

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #228
Blackadar
Retired

Weird update on Civitas. Supposedly, they got some private backing and pulled out. As I mentioned before, I'm skeptical of that. I can't imagine anyone giving those jokers money. But the longer this goes on the more legitimate it appears. Their website is up and running and the forums are active. Supposedly they're predicting a beta in the relatively near future, which is a head-scratcher to me because they showed nothing during the kickstarter.

It's all a bit weird. I just can't see how these guys are going to pull this off period, never mind the time frames they're talking about. If they were that close, you'd think they'd have showed something during the kickstarter. But if this is all a joke or a scam, they're putting a lot of effort into it for an indeterminant benefit at this stage.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-31-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #229
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Weird update on Civitas. Supposedly, they got some private backing and pulled out. As I mentioned before, I'm skeptical of that. I can't imagine anyone giving those jokers money. But the longer this goes on the more legitimate it appears. Their website is up and running and the forums are active. Supposedly they're predicting a beta in the relatively near future, which is a head-scratcher to me because they showed nothing during the kickstarter.

It's all a bit weird. I just can't see how these guys are going to pull this off period, never mind the time frames they're talking about. If they were that close, you'd think they'd have showed something during the kickstarter. But if this is all a joke or a scam, they're putting a lot of effort into it for an indeterminant benefit at this stage.

I don't think joke or scam, just well intentioned incompetants.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #230
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Marc Jacobs, of Dark Age of Camelot fame, and of Warhammer Online Infamy, is attempting to make a quasi successor to Camelot (though he denies it's a sequel, it certainly sounds a lot like it). Some interesting concepts he's got going.

Camelot Unchained

Kickstarter opens today.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #231
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Marc Jacobs, of Dark Age of Camelot fame, and of Warhammer Online Infamy, is attempting to make a quasi successor to Camelot (though he denies it's a sequel, it certainly sounds a lot like it). Some interesting concepts he's got going.

Camelot Unchained

Kickstarter opens today.

It might help if Camelot wasn't in the name.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #232
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. It's also a very similar principle. Just more singly focused on RvR, which I'm totally cool with.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #233
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jesus. 100k pledged in 1 minute.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #234
Thomkal
Head Coach

More Torment news:

Torment: Tides of Numenera secures Chris Avellone, releases second screenshot | News | PC Gamer
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #235
mckerney
Coordinator

It's now over $3.7 million with about 30 hours to go. Should easily pass the $4 million mark for another major city.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #236
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Hit $2 million in just over two days, if it follows the path of the other big video game projects on Kickstarter it's probably looking at finishing somewhere around $5 or 6 million. It would take $4 million to beat the previous high for a game project on Kickstarter, though even hitting $6 million it would fall short of Star Citizen in terms of total crowd funding which has brought in over $8 million.

Looks like it's not going to hit this early projection, not following quite the same path as others. After the massive first two days it's not seeing a similar surge over the final two games that other big projects has. Still at $3.97 million so should easily pass $4 million, would be great if it could get another half million in the last 8 hours to hit the final stretch goals.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #237
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Meh - not interested in RvR MMOPRG

Old 04-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #238
mckerney
Coordinator

Torment at $4.27 million with an hour to go.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #239
Blackadar
Retired

Some updates:

Torment finished at $4.188m on Kickstarter, making it the most successful kickstarter game of all time. Add in $127k from Paypal and they're over $4.3m. They ran a fantastic kickstarter campaign...enough that I've been replaying Torment this weekend. Their stretch goals were compelling, the screenshots beautiful, the constant updates interesting, some of the add-ons were useful - just the perfect template for running a successful kickstarter campaign.

Avatar finished at $1.91m, but there must have been some good Paypal funds because they announced they hit their $2m stretch goal. I pulled my funds from this some time ago and never re-pledged. This wasn't run nearly as well - what they showed wasn't compelling, the message on the game focus was mixed (single player? co-op? MMO? What is it?), the stretch goals seemed like core gameplay systems and Lord Brittish spouting off about fellow game developers didn't help. They got 200% of what they asked for, but I have to think they left a cool million on the table.

A new one has come up: Divinity Original Sin. From the makers of Divine Divinity, this game is very close to complete - the release date is the end of this year. They just want extra funds to make it bigger and better, so they're asking for $400k. They have 18 days to go and they're already at $376k. I'm likely going to fund this one because the game looks pretty damn good.

Last edited by Blackadar : 04-07-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #240
Groundhog
Coordinator

Played around with the beta for Timber and Stone, which I pledged on a little while ago. Lots of potential this one. Sorta like what you'd get if you mixed minecraft with dwarf fortress (minus the insane learning curve and terrible UI). Still getting a feel for how everything works, but I can picture this being a real time sink.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #241
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Played around with the beta for Timber and Stone, which I pledged on a little while ago. Lots of potential this one. Sorta like what you'd get if you mixed minecraft with dwarf fortress (minus the insane learning curve and terrible UI). Still getting a feel for how everything works, but I can picture this being a real time sink.

Never heard of it prior to your post. Spent far too many hours this weekend figuring things out. Fun game, with lots of potential as you noted.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #242
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
Never heard of it prior to your post. Spent far too many hours this weekend figuring things out. Fun game, with lots of potential as you noted.

Yeah, their is a fair bit to get a handle on early, mostly that there are a couple of things that can end your game early outside of dying as I've painfully discovered a few times. Running out of stone hammers and pickaxes is a biggie.

I'm currently on Day 9 in my first decent run, and right now I've got a settlement that backs onto a river, with a moat circling the perimeter and a large wall with towers running along it. Everyone inside is safe as there aren't any AI siege weapons in the beta yet, but the outside world is INFESTED with goblins. I have no foragers or lumberjacks as it's suicide to venture beyond my walls. My food supplies are fine with the fishing and farming I have, but I'm eating into my wood supplies. Lack of feathers will become a problem once my arrow stocks run out. I have 14 settlers, and have lost 5 total.

Once we start seeing the AI build settlements and attack with siege weapons... yikes. This is going to be a fantastic little game IMO.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #243
mckerney
Coordinator

After reading some stuff that sounded good and seeing a gameplay video I decided to back Divinity: Original Sin.

Probably going to be busy playing RPGs in the next few years.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A new Kickstarter project for a new "Jagged Alliance" game. I imagine there are quite a few fans of the old, classic turn-based strategy series.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback by Full Control — Kickstarter
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #245
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A new Kickstarter project for a new "Jagged Alliance" game. I imagine there are quite a few fans of the old, classic turn-based strategy series.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback by Full Control — Kickstarter

Love JA and so glad they are getting back to turn based. JA-Back in action was impossible to play for me and I didn't even bother with it after trying the demo. I don't mind pitching in for this at all.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #246
AnalBumCover
College Starter

MyTemple: The Fitness Training Game by Fun for Life Games — Kickstarter
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #247
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Delve: A Sci-Fi Fantasy Short Film

A good friend of mine is running a kickstarter to help fund the short film he is working on. It will be his second short film, and I thought the first was pretty well done. Check it out, pledge if you can!
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #248
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

JA is backed

Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #249
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

JA now has nine updates and is looking very nice - but they are far from their target.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #250
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Can JA make it in the last two days?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ance-flashback

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.