Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What is your prediction for the upcoming NFL season?
Pretty close to normal—games in mostly full stadiums 0 0%
Full Season, but fan attendance strictly limited—1/2 or less capacity. 6 21.43%
Full Season, but no fans allowed—possible NBA bubble-like situation 9 32.14%
Limited games—built in breaks for testing, tracing, isolation, etc. leads to a season < 16 games. 10 35.71%
Season cancelled 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL in the age of COVID--June Prediction Thread

There are a lot of ways this could go. Which of these options is the closest to your guess?

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
AlexB
Pro Starter

I think they'll start at#3, but be forced into #4 as the season progresses.

Maybe even ending in #5 as it appears the winter could lead to a 2nd surge, and given how some states numbers are already accelerating, it could be impossible to play football

Last edited by AlexB : 06-19-2020 at 02:54 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I think they'll start at#3, but be forced into #4 as the season progresses.

My exact thought.

Likely try and start out normal but there will be some kind of outbreak requiring a team to forfeit, or players refusing to play. Zero chance these all these guys are responsible with girls on the side, etc...

I think at some point they will have to stop ignoring the bodies in the corner and take extreme measures.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I am undecided - mainly because I think whatever choice I make, I'm underestimating the will to ensure money continues to flow, no matter how bad things get. This also could be drastically affected by the election.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think it will at-least start with no fans.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think other leagues will also effect what the NFL does. If the NBA or NHL start up an 3 weeks into July its a shitshow I think the NFL has to rethink how they go about it.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Money over all

I am going with option #2.. There will be at 50% fan capacity by Dec. 1.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't see a scenario where we have fans in the stadiums barring a major breakthrough.

All the money in the NFL is in the TV. If they have fans and it causes outbreaks that risks the seasons they will lose way more than they would gain by having fans.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, football has an advantage over baseball in that not much of their money comes from ticket and gameday sales. They can certainly make money with nobody in the stadiums.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah the NFL doesn't really need the fans. They just need that TV money. My guess is they start with no fans and maybe gradually add fans depending on how the virus is spreading.

Right now we seem to be heading in the wrong direction so I'm going to say no fans.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't see a scenario where we have fans in the stadiums barring a major breakthrough.

All the money in the NFL is in the TV. If they have fans and it causes outbreaks that risks the seasons they will lose way more than they would gain by having fans.

Jacksonville is preparing to put ten to fifteen thousand people into an indoor arena at the end of August. Is it that much of a stretch that they would put the same number of people in an outdoor stadium on say Oct 15th? With social distancing? Especially if there are fans willing to take the risk? I don't believe the NFL is turning down that money
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

DOLA,

I don't want to cast the NFL as being alone in this case. I believe all sports will be allowing limited fans later in the year.