Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #9051
RainMaker
General Manager

I have no clue. I've read it was run at a loss for years, but that had to start changing when they got a TV deal. They had to pick their spots, but they sold out some big arenas a few times a year too.

You can maybe make the case that it should be more developmental-focused and use younger talent. But I still think you need some good vets down there to help young wrestlers learn the ropes.

Feels like NXT did what it was supposed to do and then Vince botched a bunch of sure things on the main roster. They needed a scapegoat and that became HHH.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #9052
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I read somewhere that Vince hates losers, and NXT lost against Dynamite, so it had to be dismantled.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #9053
RainMaker
General Manager

Kind of soured on AEW. Most of the acts seem to be comedy or unserious gimmicks. Don't have a problem with those, they just shouldn't make up 90% of your show.

Don't really understand what people see in Sammy Guevara. Pretty mediocre in the ring and on the mic. His lack of size makes his offense look unrealistic. Seems like a perfect midcard chickenshit heel who has that punchable face, but nothing more right now.

CM Punk has been about as boring as you can get. Guessing he's selling merch and will always sellout a Chicago arena, but I have zero interest in anything he's doing. If you can make me not care about a feud with MFJ, you're doing something wrong. Just feels like a nostalgia act at this point.

Have no clue what Cody is supposed to be nor do I really care at this point. Everyone needs to be in a stable or faction for some reason. Women's division is real thing and made that even thinner by adding another title they don't have enough talent to make competitive. You reunite the Undisputed Era and just turn reDragon into lackey #7 and #8 for the Elite. Half your stars look out of shape.

Maybe I'm being harsh but I watched their big show yesterday and could not give a shit about anything taking place.

Oh they signed Danhausen I guess so add another comedy character to a roster that is mostly comedy characters.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #9054
BYU 14
Coordinator

AEW really does need to tone down the comedy schtick, it really is getting old.

Have to say I like Guevara, I actually think he is good in the ring, especially some of the bumps he takes. But I would really like to see him join team Taz and go back to being that punchable heel you mention, plus him and Starks would make a nice tag team.

The Young Bucks need to go and sadly since they are EVPs they will continue to control what happens in the tag division, which is likely why we have not seen the Briscoe's signed yet.

Orange Cassidy and his crew need to relegated to jobbers, they have no business being in any angle that eats up TV time and skinny Adam Cole I 100% don't get. Guevara may be small, but I look at Adam Cole and think, I can kick this guys ass LOL. Hell they introduce him at 203 pounds 6 ft. I am 6 ft and 205 and look 10-15 pounds heavier than him at least

Cody needs channel his father, who would slap him and say turn heel! Begging the fans to like you is really pathetic.

There is so much talent on this roster, if they would just learn how to use it better, because the good matches/angles are really good. There also doesn't need to be a back stage fight that leads to almost every match either and feuds need to last more than 2 weeks and the ones that do (Cole and Best friends) are ones that shouldn't be given any more time than a job match to get the wrestler they are pushing over.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-27-2022 at 01:19 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:11 PM   #9055
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think they need a scooter race to spice things up
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #9056
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just saw the finish of Cole vs Pockets.
Whoever came up with that should be gone.

And MFJ trolling the fans about "do you want to see that match TONIGHT" was literally better than the entire rest of the show.

(edit to clarify: with the kid clicking through highlights, I've seen the entire show now afaik)

edit 2: and WHY did Shawn Spears attack Punky Brewster from behind without using the chair? You're "THE CHAIRMAN", it's in your name. If you have a gimmick, USE it. That's wrestling 101 ... problem is that there's not anyone in control calling a shot that understands that.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-28-2022 at 08:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:02 AM   #9057
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Another fan of Cornette's podcast I see
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #9058
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Whoever came up with that should be gone.

And MFJ trolling the fans about "do you want to see that match TONIGHT" was literally better than the entire rest of the show.

(edit to clarify: with the kid clicking through highlights, I've seen the entire show now afaik)

edit 2: and WHY did Shawn Spears attack Punky Brewster from behind without using the chair? You're "THE CHAIRMAN", it's in your name. If you have a gimmick, USE it. That's wrestling 101 ... problem is that there's not anyone in control calling a shot that understands that.

At least you have the Royal Rumble tonight to enjoy. Could be that we see Brock Lesnar win it so that he can go against Roman Reigns for the title.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 PM   #9059
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
At least you have the Royal Rumble tonight to enjoy. Could be that we see Brock Lesnar win it so that he can go against Roman Reigns for the title.

Does nothing for me

I'll be aware it exists, probably mentally note any actual surprises, that's about it.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:34 AM   #9060
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Easiest prediction ever.

Also, I like the DQ finish, real creativity there.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #9061
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure how you make the Rumble boring but they sure did.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:56 PM   #9062
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure how you make the Rumble boring but they sure did.
According to reports, you do it by by booking yourself in it to be one of the final 4.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:33 PM   #9063
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-30-2022 at 08:34 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #9064
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Easiest prediction ever.

Also, I like the DQ finish, real creativity there.

This is also going to be the third Wrestlemania with Lesnar vs. Reigns? Very original.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #9065
RainMaker
General Manager

If the reports are true, Vince might have fired his son.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:14 AM   #9066
Mota
College Benchwarmer

That's strange news for sure, but I don't think we really need a 52 year old McMahon as a wrestler in 2022. Especially when there are tons of more talented wrestlers being let go by the WWE constantly.
Must have been an awkward conversation with Vince though.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #9067
molson
General Manager

I'm really not surprised Brian Kendrick is a holocaust denier and Sandy Hook and 9/11 truther.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #9068
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm really not surprised Brian Kendrick is a holocaust denier and Sandy Hook and 9/11 truther.

Don't worry, he's sorry

Old 02-03-2022, 11:01 AM   #9069
molson
General Manager

I know he's just a dumb guy who got wrapped up in some of this stuff, like that the moon is hollow and filled with aliens, but the Holocaust stuff is really vile.

There's a decade plus track record of his saying this stuff, including recently, pretty amazing coincidence that he feels bad about it for the first time right after getting pulled out of an AEW job.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #9070
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That's strange news for sure, but I don't think we really need a 52 year old McMahon as a wrestler in 2022. Especially when there are tons of more talented wrestlers being let go by the WWE constantly.
Must have been an awkward conversation with Vince though.

If someone made a Succession type show about the behind the scenes of WWE/wrestling, I think it would be incredible. Brother and sister fighting for power. A son-in-law who was groomed for leadership and then watched everything he did get dismantled. All the weird lackeys. And of course, Vince, the most bizarre person in the world of entertainment.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #9071
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If someone made a Succession type show about the behind the scenes of WWE/wrestling, I think it would be incredible. Brother and sister fighting for power. A son-in-law who was groomed for leadership and then watched everything he did get dismantled. All the weird lackeys. And of course, Vince, the most bizarre person in the world of entertainment.

Certainly a reality TV show in the back room of the WWE would be far more captivating than the product they put on the screen.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:16 PM   #9072
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Certainly a ... TV show ... would be far more captivating than the product they put on the screen.
fixed
Old 02-03-2022, 07:46 PM   #9073
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
CM Punk has been about as boring as you can get. Guessing he's selling merch and will always sellout a Chicago arena, but I have zero interest in anything he's doing. If you can make me not care about a feud with MFJ, you're doing something wrong. Just feels like a nostalgia act at this point.

Not sure if you watched, but that was a pretty banger match on free TV.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #9074
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cody Rhodes and Brandi Rhodes leave AEW after three years, Tony Khan responds - CBSSports.com

The rumors are really strong that they are headed to Stamford.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:56 PM   #9075
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Until I see Cody Rhodes in WWE, I'll think this is a work.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:08 PM   #9076
RainMaker
General Manager

It's a weird situation since he has two shows on TBS right now (although maybe that's why WWE is willing to throw a bunch of money at him).

Would be an interesting signing for WWE. It's a creative black hole but if he was able to leverage AEW for a huge contract, it's probably worth it. I thought his act in AEW was pretty stale and he didn't seem willing to turn heel.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #9077
RainMaker
General Manager

Why bring in Jay White and have him wrestling Trent Beretta on your B show?
Old 02-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #9078
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's a weird situation since he has two shows on TBS right now (although maybe that's why WWE is willing to throw a bunch of money at him).

Would be an interesting signing for WWE. It's a creative black hole but if he was able to leverage AEW for a huge contract, it's probably worth it. I thought his act in AEW was pretty stale and he didn't seem willing to turn heel.
Everyone knows how this is going to end if he goes to WWE, so I hope the money makes him happy.

Maybe there's a chance Cody leads the reboot of ROH, but he's got barely any history there.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:51 PM   #9079
RainMaker
General Manager

The reports are he wanted to be paid top money and have creative control which Tony wouldn't give him. Similar to his Dad in a way I guess.

I know people question why people go or stay at WWE, but it's still a business. Your window to make money is still finite. And if he can make considerably more for a couple of years and be set for life, you have to do it. Even if that means dressing up as Stardust and fighting over the 24/7 title.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #9080
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The reports are he wanted to be paid top money and have creative control which Tony wouldn't give him. Similar to his Dad in a way I guess.

And with the various signings, truth is, he was no longer a top money guy for them (especially since his backstage role was cut down if not outright gone)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:05 PM   #9081
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Cody's journey has been interesting. He went from a lower card guy in WWE, then used ROH to make himself into a big name. AEW propelled that to the next level.

But other than his run as TNT Champ in AEW, he hasn't done anything of interest in the company. The feuds haven't really struck gold at all. And with him playing an insufferable character, the fans have turned on him and apparently that was the last straw, as he wasn't showing Tony that he is a draw worth paying top dollars for.

As Cody, I'd be more afraid of being in the WWE, as Vince has a record of wanting to prove that "his guys" are better than the competition, and Cody could easily be sacrificed over and over again, just like the guys in the WCW Invasion angle were.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #9082
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cody sealed his own fate when he swore never to challenge for the AEW Title after losing to Jericho. That basically banished him to mid-card hell, which is an untenable situation when you constantly put yourself in the spotlight. I don't know what part he used to play in the booking, but if that was a point of contention, going to the WWE makes no sense. Tony Khan gives all of his top guys plenty of leeway in the booking of their own characters, does anyone genuinely think Vince will be *more* open to letting Cody have some creative control? No chance (in hell).

That leaves us with one and only one reason - money. Vince isn't buying Cody Rhodes the talent, he's buying an AEW Founder and EVP.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #9083
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

At a reported $3+ million a year, not exercising the option on Cody's contract might be the smartest thing Khan has done yet.

Well, other than not giving him a raise on top of that.
Old 02-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #9084
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought the stipulation gave him a great opportunity to turn heel. Abuse his EVP status to give himself a title shot. But it seems like Cody wanted to be the whitebread babyface who closes out the show like his dad.

He's had a handful of long promos in the past year that made zero sense. Some people chalked it up to him doing some meta heel turn but it never happened. I think he wanted to be something in the company that he's not particularly good at. Maybe WWE gives him that chance since they are devoid of top babyfaces at the moment.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #9085
RainMaker
General Manager

Can someone explain Danhausen to me? I'm out of the loop and just don't get it.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #9086
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can someone explain Danhausen to me? I'm out of the loop and just don't get it.

I think it takes some repeat viewings for it to click, or at least it did with me.

If you see some of his live streams and stuff, where he occasionally falls out of character (usually from someone off camera breaking him) he seems like a pretty likable guy. And I think that helped me somehow appreciate the character more.

I guess I don't mind tomfoolery as much if the person doing it doesn't seem like a jerk.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #9087
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking it. I just don't really get it yet. I saw he did a funny theme song for the Gunn Club.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #9088
molson
General Manager

Quote:
At a reported $3+ million a year, not exercising the option on Cody's contract might be the smartest thing Khan has done yet.

Well, other than not giving him a raise on top of that.

Word from Meltzer was that Owens and Zain sniffed around AEW, and they weren't going to offer close what WWE was. Punk was very expensive and AEW seems to be on a tighter budget now. (WWE also apparently made a quiet play for Punk, who listened, but went with AEW) Christian was super expensive too, and probably not the best investment

Last edited by molson : 02-18-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 12:01 AM   #9089
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I haven't seen any of the AEW Danhausen stuff yet, but from what I know of him, I'm not sure he's a fit for AEW. I guess we'll see.
I don't view Christian as a particularly good investment at all, maybe they needed him to get some clout when it happened, but he's not going to be the one to get over in 2022 anymore.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:00 PM   #9090
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Over/Under in months until Vince makes Cody come out as Stardust?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #9091
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems like Tony Khan likes to sign people he grew up watching, which is why Christian got a deal.

Weird thing is they don't use him at all. He's actually pretty damn good in the ring still and some of their younger talent could learn a thing or two.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #9092
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Weird thing is they don't use him at all.

*citation needed
Old 02-19-2022, 07:46 PM   #9093
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
*citation needed

17 matches in 9 months (Mar 21 to Dec 21)

6 of those were multi man tags, 1 battle royale
Old 02-19-2022, 08:29 PM   #9094
RainMaker
General Manager

Hasn't had a singles match in AEW in almost 6 months the. Hasn't had a match in 2022.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #9095
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Doesn't mean he's not being used - just means he's not on TV :/
Old 02-19-2022, 10:11 PM   #9096
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Solid NJPW angle played out tonight on ... Impact (or whatever they're PPV was I guess)

Don't mind the angle, but why do it there?
Old 02-19-2022, 10:12 PM   #9097
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Graphic that really puts some stuff into perspective.

Shows how NJPW revenue during the Okada era (2011-present) is less than what WWE has been paid by the Saudis since 2018

Brandon Thurston on Twitter: "All revenue New Japan has generated since Kazuchika Okada's main event push began in early 2012 is less than WWE has already made from the Saudi government since 2018.… https://t.co/JFZiEl221l"
Old 02-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #9098
molson
General Manager

$350 million for 10 shows. Not too shaby.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:14 AM   #9099
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If Cody really wanted to set wrestling Twitter ablaze tonight, he could with just three words right now

"Everything is fine"

Would be a helluva troll but would absolutely light up Twitter
Old 02-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #9100
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Took me a while, but that's pretty good