Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2023, 06:46 PM   #9401
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

DOLA: This might be my favourite line from the Board of Director's response letter back to Vince's initial feelers about coming back in December...

"...it is also our unanimous view that your return to the Company at this time, while government investigations into your conduct by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and SEC are still pending, would not be prudent from a shareholder value perspective.”

I mean, "unanimous" means the whole Board, correct?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:38 PM   #9402
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quite a bit of dirt slinging around that WWE has been sold to Saudi and that Vince will return to head of creative in the new deal. Seems quite fast to get a deal done but I've read crazier things. Was really hoping that would not end up being the buyer if I'm being honest.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:04 AM   #9403
Flasch186
Coordinator

Man is AEW looking poised to crush WWE in the short term in regards to talent relations and 'patriotic' gravitas.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:29 PM   #9404
RainMaker
General Manager

On the other hand, the Saudis don't have to appease shareholders and probably don't care a ton about record profits. They could gut the AEW roster if they wanted.These were people willing to pay millions for a crappy DX vs Brothers of Destruction match.

I think this is the worst case scenario for AEW.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-11-2023 at 07:30 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #9405
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Does not appear to have been a true rumor anyway according to Ariel Helwani atleast. The shareholders appear to have filed a lawsuit against Vince McMahon though, but I imagine the company could be sold before there is any resolution to that case barring some sort of injunction from the court.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:08 PM   #9406
PilotMan
Head Coach

Billy Corgan is the real American hero we all need.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:17 PM   #9407
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder if they floated the rumor to see what kind of backlash came from the companies that would be bidding on rights in the coming years. There might be a few who just won't do business with the Saudis (Disney off the top of my head).
Old 01-11-2023, 09:03 PM   #9408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Billy Corgan is the real American hero we all need.

Alas, he has access to virtually no real wrestling talent to speak of. That roster is atrocious.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #9409
Flasch186
Coordinator

The wwe roster would be gutted in that a huge % of women/divas would boycott wrestling there and the backlash in the locker room would be unbelievable. Look, not to toot my horn, but I called from day one (maybe before) that AEW was coming and was going to be a real player in all of this and I think I was right. I think I’ll be right that a sushi involvement will but wwes value by 33% and they’ll struggle mightily to compete on a go forward basis because the Khans will be able to get their talent at a discount due to the discontent.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:06 AM   #9410
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
the Khans will be able to get their talent at a discount due to the discontent.
The Saudi investment group have about $800 BILLION to spend - ain't nobody getting a discount on nothing.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:30 PM   #9411
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Saudi has paid more for 5 events than WWE has grossed in ticket sales for every WrestleMania that has ever taken place.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:42 PM   #9412
molson
General Manager

Vince and the Saudis is a fascinating dynamic. There's an above zero chance this ends with him being publicly executed in Riyadh.

But, there are reports too saying there's nothing to this, and another one that they're talking to Disney.

Last edited by molson : 01-12-2023 at 08:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:42 PM   #9413
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It's likely that the Saudis will just buy compliance from the wrestlers. Why protest when your salary could double or triple? All of a sudden, those transgressions don't seem quite as bad anymore.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:48 PM   #9414
molson
General Manager

Barron's even says that the Khans are looking into acquiring a partner and getting in on this.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #9415
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Now some of the deals include retaining Vince as part of the company. Is there anything to stop them from pulling a swerve on him and canning him as soon as the deal is made? I mean, I've heard so many stories about "no changes expected" after a buyout, and we all know that's not true. Maybe he'll have a massive golden parachute in the deal.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:03 PM   #9416
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Vince has always maintained that he wouldn't sign off on a deal that didn't keep him in charge.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 01-15-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #9417
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Took my 7 year old to RAW last night. It was his second wrestling show (we went to Smackdown in Indianapolis when they filmed Tribute to the Troops.) it was a completely different show pace wise. Smackdown had a killer match (Usos and New Day for the title record.) but they killed the show in the middle with commercial breaks sandwiched between backstage segments. This show was paced much better with no obvious action break, but it didn’t really have a killer matchup.

We did have the Alexa Bliss and Bianca segment happen right in front oh us which was fun. Alexa was literally tossed into the rail where she was like 4 feet from us. Then later in the show during what was apparently a commercial break Bobby and Baron came into the crowd and Bobby tossed Baron into the same spot and then started hitting him.

It was a really good time and those two segments really gave us some memories plus my son really got excited when I started getting texts that people saw us on TV.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #9418
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Forgot to add it was a really small crowd. We estimated somewhere between half to 1/3 the size of Indy with large sections of the upper deck tarped off compared to Indy where nothing was tarped . It’s also just a smaller arena in general. All that means we had no wait to get out of the parking garage which was nice. Took 30+ minutes to exit in Indy.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-17-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:12 PM   #9419
RainMaker
General Manager

That's a great story. Kids love wrestling despite us adults arguing about it.

Speaking of which, I'm really happy Adam Cole is healthy. The guy could not be further from the character he plays on TV. I took my niece to a meet and greet with him at a local Target (maybe Walmart, I don't remember). She was 10 and so nervous (I think partly because he plays a bad guy on TV). Needed some prodding to walk up to the table for the autograph.

Anyways, Adam notices this and says something about how much he likes her shirt and comes out from behind the table for the photo (they normally just sit at the table and smile for the photo). He asks if she can hold his belt for him (it was the NXT title at the time), which is apparently much heavier than you'd think.

It made for an incredible photo and she was so giddy about it. Will always support the guy for that. It was a class move from a guy who spotted a very shy kid and made her comfortable.

If you have young kids, I highly recommend the meet and greets. I'm sure it depends on who is signing, but everyone with the exception of one I've taken her and my nephew to see has been great. Kevin Owens is another person who was incredibly kind to the kids.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:35 PM   #9420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's a great story. Kids love wrestling despite us adults arguing about it.

Speaking of which, I'm really happy Adam Cole is healthy. The guy could not be further from the character he plays on TV. I took my niece to a meet and greet with him at a local Target (maybe Walmart, I don't remember). She was 10 and so nervous (I think partly because he plays a bad guy on TV). Needed some prodding to walk up to the table for the autograph.

Anyways, Adam notices this and says something about how much he likes her shirt and comes out from behind the table for the photo (they normally just sit at the table and smile for the photo). He asks if she can hold his belt for him (it was the NXT title at the time), which is apparently much heavier than you'd think.

It made for an incredible photo and she was so giddy about it. Will always support the guy for that. It was a class move from a guy who spotted a very shy kid and made her comfortable.

If you have young kids, I highly recommend the meet and greets. I'm sure it depends on who is signing, but everyone with the exception of one I've taken her and my nephew to see has been great. Kevin Owens is another person who was incredibly kind to the kids.

I'd pretty much echo this. Very similar to our experiences 20 years ago with TNA. Both AJ Styles and particularly Samoa Joe were fantastic with kids, Eric Young also.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:27 PM   #9421
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely gutpunching news
Just ... damn.

Rest in peace.

https://cultaholic.com/posts/jay-briscoe-passes-away
Old 01-17-2023, 08:30 PM   #9422
RainMaker
General Manager

It appears Jay Broscoe died in a car accident. Tragic news.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:43 PM   #9423
RainMaker
General Manager

Oh no it sounds like his kids were hurt pretty bad in the accident too. News just gets worse and worse.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #9424
RainMaker
General Manager

Also, reading through some of these tributes from other wrestlers, it seems like he was an incredibly kind person. So many people like Owens, Zayn, Cole, and others who attribute their success to him.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:03 AM   #9425
BYU 14
Coordinator

It is such a shame the Briscoe's never got a shot on a national stage. Easily as good as any tag team in the US and their last ROH tag team title match against FTR was incredible.

Such sad news R.I.P and positive vibes for his young daughters in their recovery
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:27 PM   #9426
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Just watched the Kiyomiya/Okada thing and that shit was next level. Pissed-off Okada is more than we as humans deserve. HOLY FUCK.
Old 01-21-2023, 08:29 PM   #9427
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Old 01-23-2023, 02:54 PM   #9428
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Big RAW tonight with legends, two title matches, a cage match, and Sami Zayn's trial.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:11 PM   #9429
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

My wrestling obsessed 7 year old, “Triple H knows I started watching AEW this week, that’s why they are showing the matches during the ads.”

I found it funny, we did start watching AEW this week for first time because he is so into wrestling and I’ve been honest with him that HHH is in charge of WWE right now. He does still believe in kayfabe. Anyone have any thoughts on their experience handling THAT transition?
Old 01-25-2023, 06:02 PM   #9430
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Marc Briscoe is wrestling on Dynamite tonight v. Jay Lethal, WBD gave AEW the okay to allow Marc on TV.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:10 AM   #9431
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Marc Briscoe is wrestling on Dynamite tonight v. Jay Lethal, WBD gave AEW the okay to allow Marc on TV.

That whole thing with Warner is such BS. Jay made that comment so long ago, apologized numerous times, took sensitivity training and was beloved in the business, with many openly gay wrestlers advocating for him.

Meanwhile, Warner is okay with letting Sammy back after sensitivity training for the audio that popped up of him saying he wanted to rape Sasha Banks, has a wrestler convicted of felony bank robbery (Nick Gage) on their TV show because he is buddies with Jericho and Moxley, and has no issue with bringing MJF back after his profanity laced shoot on Khan on live TV, then there is the whole Punk/Bucks/Omega issue.

Very selective in what they find acceptable
Old 01-26-2023, 04:09 PM   #9432
RainMaker
General Manager

Let's not forget that the show after Dynamite is the new slap fight league which, beyond how incredibly dumb it is, features a guy who was caught on camera hitting his wife a few weeks ago.

The tribute last night was really well done. I didn't know they were the ROH Tag Champs.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:13 AM   #9433
Mota
College Benchwarmer

No excusing his behavior for hitting his wife, which should never be done, but why does no one ever talk about his wife slapping him first? I don't see anybody cancelling her, and talking about how abusive she is.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:47 AM   #9434
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
No excusing his behavior for hitting his wife, which should never be done, but why does no one ever talk about his wife slapping him first? I don't see anybody cancelling her, and talking about how abusive she is.

She obviously has culpability too, but as a man, considerably stronger than her, he could have reacted differently and there are levels to this too.

Dana is a former boxer and significantly stronger, if walking away didn't work, he could have just restrained her until things calmed down.

Women can and should be charged for domestic abuse just like a man and I believe there is a point where a man would have to defend himself against a woman, but I don't think this is it. Not sure if this would have happened if alcohol was not involved, but that still doesn't give him a pass.

I am considerably bigger and stronger than my wife. (6' 215 to 5'1 130) and also boxed when I was young, so even a slap in anger could hurt her and I can say it would never happen, even if she slapped me first because I just don't believe that should be the initial reaction, unless there was legit danger of being hurt.

Beyond that, I really don't think White is suffering severe consequences for this. People are going to rightfully criticize him, especially as this happened immediately preceding the launch of his Slap League, which I also think is incredibly stupid. But beyond words/reputation, he certainly doesn't seem to have suffered much here. Nowhere near the level of a professional athlete for sure.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-27-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #9435
BYU 14
Coordinator

And the Briscoe tribute was amazing. Props to Mark and Jay lethal for performing through what must have been an incredible crush of emotions. Loved what AEW did and the love they showed his family.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:21 AM   #9436
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm very surprised that this Slap League was allowed to continue, especially because of the incident. It's also extremely dangerous, in 2023 should we really be giving people unprotected blows to the face? I think we've collected enough data to show that it's a ridiculously bad idea. It's almost like creating a football league where only helmet to helmet hits are allowed.

A strike doesn't have to physically injure in order to hurt. A close friend of mine would be slapped by his wife in public quite often, she would use it as a tool to emasculate him. He'd never hit her back. Nobody ever called the cops on her. She'd also verbally put him down in front of all of our friends, and he wouldn't yell back because he had to be the bigger man. But by being the bigger man, eventually he became a shell of the man he was, because he was smaller and smaller over time. They're not together anymore.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #9437
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm very surprised that this Slap League was allowed to continue, especially because of the incident. It's also extremely dangerous, in 2023 should we really be giving people unprotected blows to the face? I think we've collected enough data to show that it's a ridiculously bad idea. It's almost like creating a football league where only helmet to helmet hits are allowed.

A strike doesn't have to physically injure in order to hurt. A close friend of mine would be slapped by his wife in public quite often, she would use it as a tool to emasculate him. He'd never hit her back. Nobody ever called the cops on her. She'd also verbally put him down in front of all of our friends, and he wouldn't yell back because he had to be the bigger man. But by being the bigger man, eventually he became a shell of the man he was, because he was smaller and smaller over time. They're not together anymore.

Totally agree with your analysis of Slap League it is just beyond stupid.

I get what you are saying in the second part, but I also think it is important to differentiate what was long term abuse in your friends case and an apparently, by all accounts, isolated incident. Your friends Ex sounds absolutely toxic, I would assume that he probably feels he didn't get out of that relationship fast enough.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:36 AM   #9438
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Totally agree with your analysis of Slap League it is just beyond stupid.

I get what you are saying in the second part, but I also think it is important to differentiate what was long term abuse in your friends case and an apparently, by all accounts, isolated incident. Your friends Ex sounds absolutely toxic, I would assume that he probably feels he didn't get out of that relationship fast enough.

She was starting to abuse my wife as well. Not as far as hitting her, but she pushed her into a wall once, and grabbed her arm hard enough that she had a bruise on another occasion. So we got out of that situation as well.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #9439
miami_fan
Coordinator

WWE Drops ‘The Banger Bros’ Name After Finding Out About Bang Bros

Why can't they just say that having a tag team named The Banger Bros goes against the sensibilities of a potential buyer?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #9440
RainMaker
General Manager

I think what turns me off from the slap league is that you can't defend yourself. I enjoy a good MMA or boxing match because it's two people who can attack and defend. This feels like something you'd see on Jackass but they are playing it serious.

I did tune in for a bit to see the trainwreck, so maybe that's the goal. But I can't fathom caring about who wins or being invested in any of the slappers.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:20 AM   #9441
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

It's not a matter of if someone is going to get paralyzed or killed, it's when.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #9442
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Eventually this “sport” will just get to the point where every match is won by the coin flip, right? These guys are all basically untrained at this point. Assuming it isn’t canceled, once they learn to actually throw the slaps it’s just gonna be KO after KO. Am I missing something here? This works a lot better in local bars for a $5 admission fee than it does with professional fighters throwing bombs against defenseless people.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 PM   #9443
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's just a really dumb concept to try and sell as a 'respectable sport'.

It's not even skillful. Just some over pumped machismo.

Like Steam?

Old 01-29-2023, 12:35 PM   #9444
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I like Cody, but I think they really missed the mark not running that end angle first and having Sami sneak into the Rumble somehow and win it. Based on the crowd reaction at the end of the show this has the potential to turn into a Daniel Bryan/Batista situation where the WWE simply picked the wrong guy.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:42 PM   #9445
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
It's just a really dumb concept to try and sell as a 'respectable sport'.

It's not even skillful. Just some over pumped machismo.

I think this is why it has a great chance of success. As a society, we watch grown men punch each other with gloves on. We watch grown men kick each other. We watch grown men get try to choke each other. We are going to turn out collective noses up at watching people slap each other? Is there a more common phrase used by men supposedly preparing to fight than "I will slap the **** out of you."? In a society that is more and more desperate to cling to any vestige of old school masculinity, I am not sure why this can't succeed as long as they make sure someone is there to call it off when required.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:53 PM   #9446
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I think this is why it has a great chance of success. As a society, we watch grown men punch each other with gloves on. We watch grown men kick each other. We watch grown men get try to choke each other. We are going to turn out collective noses up at watching people slap each other? Is there a more common phrase used by men supposedly preparing to fight than "I will slap the **** out of you."? In a society that is more and more desperate to cling to any vestige of old school masculinity, I am not sure why this can't succeed as long as they make sure someone is there to call it off when required.

It could be the new sport for people who only care about such things, not training, or skill, or commitment. Just pumped up men slapping one another because "it's a fantastic display of manhood". Eh...if that's what you want to watch fine, but give me Boxing, give me MMA, give me people who need talent and commitment, not just some dude with a beard who can hold onto a table and take or give a slap. The future of this really doesn't seem beyond a niche sport like Arm Wrestling or Cornhole.

Like Steam?

Old 01-29-2023, 08:34 PM   #9447
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The future of this really doesn't seem beyond a niche sport like Arm Wrestling or Cornhole.

Both of which get minor TV time.

I can't imagine anyone thinks this has a future bigger than that.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:36 PM   #9448
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I like Cody, but I think they really missed the mark not running that end angle first and having Sami sneak into the Rumble somehow and win it. Based on the crowd reaction at the end of the show this has the potential to turn into a Daniel Bryan/Batista situation where the WWE simply picked the wrong guy.

Imagine they're putting Cody out, doing his generic face promos, with Sami Zayn getting incredible heat for the most captivating storyline the WWE has right now.

They're going to end up putting Zayn in the main event, and you made a good point, it's going to turn the fans against Rhodes, similar to Bautista when Daniel Bryan was on his run.

They're going to job Zayn out at the Feb PPV to try and end that storyline before Wrestlemania, but we'll see if the fans allow that to happen.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #9449
RainMaker
General Manager

Curious to see how it turns out. There is a chance that Sami gets the Daniel Bryan treatment from fans and just shits on everything else. Gutsy move to have Sami lose in his hometown and then throw Cody out there the next night to try and get cheers.

Sort of wonder if they end up going the triple threat route (which sucks). Other option is to split the belts up by having Roman work double duty at Wrestlemania. Lose one to Sami and the other to Cody.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:07 AM   #9450
PilotMan
Head Coach

Rest in Peace Leapin' Lanny.

I really enjoyed his insights and behind the scenes with his brother. Such a talented family.

Like Steam?