Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #401
TroyF
Coordinator

Not sure which one mckerney posted as my work filter blocked it. There were three solid ones last night:

The trader one posted above
The Giants sign with the wrong spelling
and the Yankees fan lashing out at Cano for it being all about the money.

Cmon fans, step up your game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #402
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Second greatest.

I guess that explains why he wanted to be closer to Wall Street.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #403
Logan
Head Coach

Are those American flag patterned Keds?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #404
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Not sure which one mckerney posted as my work filter blocked it. There were three solid ones last night:

The trader one posted above
The Giants sign with the wrong spelling
and the Yankees fan lashing out at Cano for it being all about the money.

Cmon fans, step up your game.

I posted the Cano sign. Misspelling something is one level of stupidity, but a Yankee fan upset about a player just being about the money is something I'll never be able to comprehend.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #405
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I posted the Cano sign. Misspelling something is one level of stupidity, but a Yankee fan upset about a player just being about the money is something I'll never be able to comprehend.

Glad it's the one you posted. Maybe this was the single Yankee fan in existence who was for a salary cap (with a salary floor to keep overall spending equal or more than what it is today)

I'm thinking he probably wasn't.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #406
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

yeah. good stuff
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #407
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Brad Ausmus is 2-2 on challenges. Today.

Ivy League, represent!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #408
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I'd be happy if the Cubs could at least score 1 god damn run.

Goose egg in 10 innings tuesday, goose egg through 7 tonight.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #409
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey, they got a run...on an overturned double play.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #410
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And I officially hate how replay works. It's just too obnoxious and time consuming.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels suck in April... again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #412
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I used to like Mike Francesa but now I think he is just a bloated windbag.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1743733
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #413
bhlloy
Coordinator

Angels suck full stop. Turns out you actually need a pitching staff again this year, who'd have thunk it?

Good thing we dealt the most valuable trade chip in the org for a mediocre third baseman this offseason. That's exactly what we needed.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #414
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I really don't get the flak Murphy is getting. It's insane to me. Boomer Esiason was going off about it too. It's a few games at the start of the season. These guys should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #415
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Angels suck full stop. Turns out you actually need a pitching staff again this year, who'd have thunk it?

Good thing we dealt the most valuable trade chip in the org for a mediocre third baseman this offseason. That's exactly what we needed.

Pitching? Yeah, the Angels are getting blasted, but pitching is just a small part of the problem.

They have 17 hits and 4 walks in 27 innings of baseball and have scored 3 runs, 2 runs and 2 runs. I've watched most of the three games and they've looked horrible offensively too. It's scary to think how bad they are with the best offensive player in the game playing for them.

It's early, it's early, it's early. But my God do they look bad right now.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I really don't get the flak Murphy is getting. It's insane to me. Boomer Esiason was going off about it too. It's a few games at the start of the season. These guys should be ashamed of themselves.

yeah. Apparenty the article goes on to say Esiason said Murphys wife should have gotten a c-section before the season.

If you want to be critical of Murphy for the timing of it and say they should have planned more carefuly I can at least buy that, but to say he shouldn't be there is absurd. That is time to bond that you never get back.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #417
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I don't think they will get better until Scioscia is gone. But, I think DiPoto is going to be the one who gets the axe first unfortunately. I feel that he has done a good job of getting out from the bad moves that Reagins made, but unfortunately Arte is still messing with things which has complicated things for the worse.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #418
Butter
Coordinator

Reds / Cards going to be another long day for any fans that show up as it will be delayed probably an hour to start, and they may not get it in at all.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #419
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Reds / Cards going to be another long day for any fans that show up as it will be delayed probably an hour to start, and they may not get it in at all.

The fact they played last night is absurd to me. They are playing the Cards FFS, not like there wont be tons of chances to make the game up.

As for today, I hope for lots of delays. Reds play the Mets tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #420
Butter
Coordinator

I think they tried to get it in knowing that today actually looked worse rain-wise. Nobody wants to make up 2 games out of the opening series.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #421
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I don't think they will get better until Scioscia is gone. But, I think DiPoto is going to be the one who gets the axe first unfortunately. I feel that he has done a good job of getting out from the bad moves that Reagins made, but unfortunately Arte is still messing with things which has complicated things for the worse.

I actually like most of DiPoto's moves this offseason. Like bhlloy, I was not excited to see Bourjos moved for Freese, although I disagree with him that Bourjos was key to getting a great pitcher somehow. I just didn't like the value on that trade.

I also did not like that we dealt Grichuk in the Trumbo deal, as the last thing we need is to deal away one of our few decent prospects. That said, I feel the Trumbo deal will end up being massive overall positive, since Trumbo was a one trick pony with issues elsewhere (plate discipline, foot speed, defense, etc.), and you have to like turning a guy like that into two-fifths of your rotation.

I actually am not sure DiPoto gets the axe before Scioscia any more. I feel like this offseason was a win for the DiPoto model. There are sabermetric/data analysis guys on staff now, and more coaches. Arte didn't force DiPoto to make any big splashy contract moves like he had in past years. There weren't too many obvious "Scioscia" moves this offseason. We still have our first round pick.

I said last April that Scioscia needed a good start this season or I would be 100% behind firing him. I still stand by that. If this team continues to play poorly to start again, even with a spring training emphasis on getting off to a good start, I fully believe Scioscia needs to go. For a team, with this payroll, four years without a playoff visit is unacceptable.

FWIW, as bad as the offense has been, there shouldn't be many worries there. In the end, this team will hit. It did last year (5th or 6th in AL in runs scored, I believe) and that was with Pujols out most of the year and Hamilton in a year long slump. This team's success will come down to the pitching again.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-03-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #422
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I really like Scoscia. Maybe he's been there too long, but I still like him. I'm not sure what he's supposed to do.

He gets Pujos and Hamilton to put in the middle of his order and they play like guys who should be hitting 6th and 7th in the order. They have two good guys at the front of the rotation, one or two relievers worth a crap, one up and coming pitcher in Skaggs (who hasn't pitched yet this year) and then paper clips and glue. What exactly is the guy supposed to manage with?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #423
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

The union agreement supersedes FMLA?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #424
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just saw that Tony Cingrani now has 19 career starts and in none of them has he given up more than five hits. He hasn't generally gone deep into games, but that's still a great stat.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

It may since it is collectivly bargined but I have no idea.

Regardless, I doubt any ballplayers would take it since you don't get paid on FMLA.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #426
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

I think FMLA depends on how many employees a company has. Under a certain amount of employees, they don't have to grant FMLA. It's been quite a few years since I had to deal with FMLA issues, so take what I said with a couple of grains of salt.

And this macho shit, get back to your team...fuck that! That's my kid and my wife, they take precedence over anything else. Francesa is a complete shit bag.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #427
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I really like Scoscia. Maybe he's been there too long, but I still like him. I'm not sure what he's supposed to do.

He gets Pujos and Hamilton to put in the middle of his order and they play like guys who should be hitting 6th and 7th in the order. They have two good guys at the front of the rotation, one or two relievers worth a crap, one up and coming pitcher in Skaggs (who hasn't pitched yet this year) and then paper clips and glue. What exactly is the guy supposed to manage with?

Yeah, I agree with this. On top of this he's being forced to play with guys that really aren't his style, and guys like Bourjos who are his style get dealt away to make room. If/when he's canned, I'd be happy for him getting out of this mess
Old 04-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #428
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I just saw that Tony Cingrani now has 19 career starts and in none of them has he given up more than five hits. He hasn't generally gone deep into games, but that's still a great stat.

He's a pleasure to have in my Strat-O-Matic league, stuck out 15 in 7 innings for me against my arch nemesis.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #429
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I actually like most of DiPoto's moves this offseason. Like bhlloy, I was not excited to see Bourjos moved for Freese, although I disagree with him that Bourjos was key to getting a great pitcher somehow. I just didn't like the value on that trade.

I also did not like that we dealt Grichuk in the Trumbo deal, as the last thing we need is to deal away one of our few decent prospects. That said, I feel the Trumbo deal will end up being massive overall positive, since Trumbo was a one trick pony with issues elsewhere (plate discipline, foot speed, defense, etc.), and you have to like turning a guy like that into two-fifths of your rotation.

I actually am not sure DiPoto gets the axe before Scioscia any more. I feel like this offseason was a win for the DiPoto model. There are sabermetric/data analysis guys on staff now, and more coaches. Arte didn't force DiPoto to make any big splashy contract moves like he had in past years. There weren't too many obvious "Scioscia" moves this offseason. We still have our first round pick.

I said last April that Scioscia needed a good start this season or I would be 100% behind firing him. I still stand by that. If this team continues to play poorly to start again, even with a spring training emphasis on getting off to a good start, I fully believe Scioscia needs to go. For a team, with this payroll, four years without a playoff visit is unacceptable.

FWIW, as bad as the offense has been, there shouldn't be many worries there. In the end, this team will hit. It did last year (5th or 6th in AL in runs scored, I believe) and that was with Pujols out most of the year and Hamilton in a year long slump. This team's success will come down to the pitching again.

A guy who was a 5 WAR player in his only full time season and a top 5 defensive CF (and still under team control) could have at least got a couple of valuable bullpen pieces, if not the bottom three starter this team desperately needs. To get Freese and a terrible reliever plus giving up one of the few remaining prospects in the org worth a shit was an abysmal trade, and I have zero faith in DiPoto after that I'm afraid, even if many of the precious mistakes came from the previous regime or from the owner
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #430
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Game expected to start between 3 and 4 PM, if no more showers develop behind existing storm.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #431
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, c'mon, what did you expect against the SEATTLE MARINER JUGGERNAUT?!!?!!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #432
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Well, c'mon, what did you expect against the SEATTLE MARINER JUGGERNAUT?!!?!!

2014 AL MVP Race:

#5 - Derek Jeter
#4 - Grady Sizemore
#3 - Miguel Cabrera
#2 - Mike Trout
#1 - The one, the only. . . Justin Smoak
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #433
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

No need to talk about the NL MVP voting, Bonifacio is going to have about 300 hits for the Cubs this season.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #434
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tell you what, the Cubs pitchers are leading the league in epic hair and beards.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #435
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I disagree with the talent how you put it here. There's some thought that Richards is better than Skaggs. If they're both up and coming, that's four-fifths solid pitching, and Santiago isn't bad either, although he didn't look it last night. I agree that the pen continues to be an issue, but I have always felt if there is one area that is always ripe for mismanagement, it is the pen. And the Angels have had some good relief guys go to crap here. It happens far too often, really. I have seen some very strange moves from Scioscia over the years with the pen, going to the wrong guy at the wrong time or pulling a guy too soon or too late.

As for the lineup, if guys consistently under perform, you have to start looking at management. The underperformance of hitters in Anaheim has cost two hitting coaches their jobs the past three seasons. At some point, you have start looking at the manager. And he has made odd lineup decisions and relied too much on old school thinking at times, and with his over-emphasis on defense at some spots, like catcher. Having a defense first guy in the lineup is fine--if he's at least within a whisker of league average hitting. If he's riding the Mendoza line, no defense is worth that. Scioscia also isn't much for plate discipline. Very much a hit to make contact guy, which lowers the OBP and increases strikeouts. None of this helps the offense (which nonetheless manages to get runs in spite of this because of the talent in the lineup).

It sounds like I can't stand Scioscia and that's not true at all. I think he's a terrific players manager, and he definitely brings value to the clubhouse. But at some point, something has to give and if your team is looking at a fourth or fifth straight poor start to the season and the fifth straight year not making the playoffs in the country's #2 media market, you're not doing your job.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #436
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A guy who was a 5 WAR player in his only full time season and a top 5 defensive CF (and still under team control) could have at least got a couple of valuable bullpen pieces, if not the bottom three starter this team desperately needs. To get Freese and a terrible reliever plus giving up one of the few remaining prospects in the org worth a shit was an abysmal trade, and I have zero faith in DiPoto after that I'm afraid, even if many of the precious mistakes came from the previous regime or from the owner

It wasn't the best trade, no, but I don't consider a quality starter to have been likely to have been had for Bourjos, and I don't think two bullpen pieces are much better in overall quality than what we got in Freese and Salazar. I would agree that regardless of the matter of value, I would have rather gotten those two valuable pieces than Freese and Salazar.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #437
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This Mets bullpen could be all time bad.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #438
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I disagree with the talent how you put it here. There's some thought that Richards is better than Skaggs. If they're both up and coming, that's four-fifths solid pitching, and Santiago isn't bad either, although he didn't look it last night. I agree that the pen continues to be an issue, but I have always felt if there is one area that is always ripe for mismanagement, it is the pen. And the Angels have had some good relief guys go to crap here. It happens far too often, really. I have seen some very strange moves from Scioscia over the years with the pen, going to the wrong guy at the wrong time or pulling a guy too soon or too late.

As for the lineup, if guys consistently under perform, you have to start looking at management. The underperformance of hitters in Anaheim has cost two hitting coaches their jobs the past three seasons. At some point, you have start looking at the manager. And he has made odd lineup decisions and relied too much on old school thinking at times, and with his over-emphasis on defense at some spots, like catcher. Having a defense first guy in the lineup is fine--if he's at least within a whisker of league average hitting. If he's riding the Mendoza line, no defense is worth that. Scioscia also isn't much for plate discipline. Very much a hit to make contact guy, which lowers the OBP and increases strikeouts. None of this helps the offense (which nonetheless manages to get runs in spite of this because of the talent in the lineup).

It sounds like I can't stand Scioscia and that's not true at all. I think he's a terrific players manager, and he definitely brings value to the clubhouse. But at some point, something has to give and if your team is looking at a fourth or fifth straight poor start to the season and the fifth straight year not making the playoffs in the country's #2 media market, you're not doing your job.

OK, You yourself said the lineup finished 7th in runs scored last year which is a minor miracle when you consider it was Trout and a log of guys sucking badly. Is he sitting a silver slugger catcher that I've missed or is he playing the best catcher on the team? I liked Ianneta as a Rockie, but he's not exactly a bomber. As for the pitching, he's throwing out the best arms he has to work with.

If Pujos and Hamilton were joining Trout in making the team a murderers row and they still weren't winning, I'd throw blame at the manager. The reality is the team isn't very good. If Hamilton and Pujos don't start hitting, that isn't going to change. I don't care who the manager is.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #439
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Some of my issues are:

1). Trout should be batting lead off. When he gets on base, he causes all sorts of issues for the opposing pitcher.
2). I firmly believe he has been behind several of the questionable GM decisions over the last few years. Napoli should be the starting catcher, but he clearly preferred Mathis and the guaranteed out he was for some reason.
3). His pitching management has been atrocious the last few years. Supposedly he was micromanaging Wilson the other night, which accounted for him being so passive on the mound rather than attacking the batters as he had during the Spring.
4). He has repeatedly messed with player development favoring underperforming vets vs. young and upcoming talent (V. Wells)
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #440
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK, You yourself said the lineup finished 7th in runs scored last year which is a minor miracle when you consider it was Trout and a log of guys sucking badly. Is he sitting a silver slugger catcher that I've missed or is he playing the best catcher on the team? I liked Ianneta as a Rockie, but he's not exactly a bomber. As for the pitching, he's throwing out the best arms he has to work with.

If Pujos and Hamilton were joining Trout in making the team a murderers row and they still weren't winning, I'd throw blame at the manager. The reality is the team isn't very good. If Hamilton and Pujos don't start hitting, that isn't going to change. I don't care who the manager is.

The lineup had talent last year, just like it does this year. Even with Pujols missing much of the season and Hamilton slumping, they still had a what by any other hitter's standards would be a decent power hitting Hamilton, the aforementioned Trout, Trumbo, and Kendrick with a strong year, and JB Shuck having what I believe will turn out to be a career year. Bourjos and Calhoun saw time as well and played solidly when up/not hurt. The lineup underachiveed next to its talent, but it was still a strong lineup and that's why it did well. Scioscia did not mastermind some decent offense out of mish mash of crappy parts.

You have to remember I am not just talking about 2013. Warhammer brings up the specific catcher problem, going back to Napoli-Mathis. The front office finally had to fix the Scioscia defensive catcher playing time problem by releasing Mathis and signing Iannetta, insuring Scioscia only had offensive options there, along with Conger.

He has some talented arms on the staff--and they have generally underperformed for him. Veteran pitchers rarely exceed their past performances and usually underachieve, and young pitchers when he has them don't develop into anything but inconsistent players. Look at Jordan Walden--he was lost under Scioscia's management and he has become a bulwark of Atlanta's pen. Fernando Rodney, while not exactly a rock of production with the Tigers, was solid there, came to the Angels and was abysmal, and then left for Tampa Bay and became a star closer the following season. Scioscia's handling of his pitchers in game has been pretty bad going back for some time now.

This team had 90+ win talent last season and was the pick by just about everyone to win the AL West, and if not do so, at least a cinch to get to the playoffs. Instead, they were under .500. They have had a payroll in the top 5 for 7-8 years now, but they haven't been to the postseason since 2009. That was under three different GMs. At some point, you have to look at the manager, too.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #441
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some of my issues are:

1). Trout should be batting lead off. When he gets on base, he causes all sorts of issues for the opposing pitcher.
2). I firmly believe he has been behind several of the questionable GM decisions over the last few years. Napoli should be the starting catcher, but he clearly preferred Mathis and the guaranteed out he was for some reason.
3). His pitching management has been atrocious the last few years. Supposedly he was micromanaging Wilson the other night, which accounted for him being so passive on the mound rather than attacking the batters as he had during the Spring.
4). He has repeatedly messed with player development favoring underperforming vets vs. young and upcoming talent (V. Wells)

Ditto to all this. And it's well known Scioscia has been heavily involved in player personnel decisions for the past several years, pretty much ever since Stoneman stepped down.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #442
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The lineup had talent last year, just like it does this year. Even with Pujols missing much of the season and Hamilton slumping, they still had a what by any other hitter's standards would be a decent power hitting Hamilton, the aforementioned Trout, Trumbo, and Kendrick with a strong year, and JB Shuck having what I believe will turn out to be a career year. Bourjos and Calhoun saw time as well and played solidly when up/not hurt. The lineup underachiveed next to its talent, but it was still a strong lineup and that's why it did well. Scioscia did not mastermind some decent offense out of mish mash of crappy parts.

You have to remember I am not just talking about 2013. Warhammer brings up the specific catcher problem, going back to Napoli-Mathis. The front office finally had to fix the Scioscia defensive catcher playing time problem by releasing Mathis and signing Iannetta, insuring Scioscia only had offensive options there, along with Conger.

He has some talented arms on the staff--and they have generally underperformed for him. Veteran pitchers rarely exceed their past performances and usually underachieve, and young pitchers when he has them don't develop into anything but inconsistent players. Look at Jordan Walden--he was lost under Scioscia's management and he has become a bulwark of Atlanta's pen. Fernando Rodney, while not exactly a rock of production with the Tigers, was solid there, came to the Angels and was abysmal, and then left for Tampa Bay and became a star closer the following season. Scioscia's handling of his pitchers in game has been pretty bad going back for some time now.

This team had 90+ win talent last season and was the pick by just about everyone to win the AL West, and if not do so, at least a cinch to get to the playoffs. Instead, they were under .500. They have had a payroll in the top 5 for 7-8 years now, but they haven't been to the postseason since 2009. That was under three different GMs. At some point, you have to look at the manager, too.

The people picking the Angels to win 90+ games were doing it based on Pujos and Hamilton being good. Not being "an ok power guy" No, being very, very good. They combined to produce 38 HR, 143 RBI. If people had assumed they were going to have an OPS comparable to Justin Smoak and JJ Hardy, I'm fairly certain nobody on the planet would have picked the Angels to win 90 games.

As I said earlier, maybe he's been there too long. Maybe you guys are right and his decisions are the reason the Angels are where they are. I look at that team and see this:

1) The best player on the planet
2) The two other "best" lineup regulars on the team looking slightly above average.
3) A pitching staff that has a decent front two and no clear cut reliable guy in the pen.

FWIW, I wasn't one who thought they would win last year even before the start of the season. This was essentially what I thought of them at that point. The only thing that gave me optimism was the depth Bourjas and Trumbo provided. Now that's gone and I see nothing to indicate the talent level is worth a crap.

Now, it's been three games. Hamilton and Puljos stay healthy and start to hit, I'll revise my opinion.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #443
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The people picking the Angels to win 90+ games were doing it based on Pujos and Hamilton being good. Not being "an ok power guy" No, being very, very good. They combined to produce 38 HR, 143 RBI. If people had assumed they were going to have an OPS comparable to Justin Smoak and JJ Hardy, I'm fairly certain nobody on the planet would have picked the Angels to win 90 games.

As I said earlier, maybe he's been there too long. Maybe you guys are right and his decisions are the reason the Angels are where they are. I look at that team and see this:

1) The best player on the planet
2) The two other "best" lineup regulars on the team looking slightly above average.
3) A pitching staff that has a decent front two and no clear cut reliable guy in the pen.

FWIW, I wasn't one who thought they would win last year even before the start of the season. This was essentially what I thought of them at that point. The only thing that gave me optimism was the depth Bourjas and Trumbo provided. Now that's gone and I see nothing to indicate the talent level is worth a crap.

Now, it's been three games. Hamilton and Puljos stay healthy and start to hit, I'll revise my opinion.

To each their own. Even 38 HRs and 143 RBIs sounds like at least one pretty solid power presence between the two of them (call it a 4-5 WARish player), and this team was a good 12-15 below what many thought they were capable of last season.

And keep in mind, this is something from observing this team over years now, not just 2013. Scioscia has been running this team for a long time. When you limit your perspective to 2013, I don't think you're seeing the whole picture.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #444
MrBug708
Head Coach

I wonder what Card fans think of this move and how they can try and protect the unspoken rules of baseball?

Matt Adams shoves fan who catches foul ball, fan gives him the finger - SBNation.com
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I wonder what Card fans think of this move and how they can try and protect the unspoken rules of baseball?

Dunno what Cards (or Reds) fans will say but this doesn't-care-diddly-squat-about-either-team baseball fan thinks Adams ought to be looking at some unpaid time off courtesy of MLB.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #446
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Matt Adams shoves fan who catches foul ball, fan gives him the finger - SBNation.com

Far be it for me to defend the Cards, but this angle looks a bit more representative than the chopped up vine on SBNation:

GIF: Matt Adams pushes Reds fan with his glove - CBSSports.com

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #447
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Dunno what Cards (or Reds) fans will say but this doesn't-care-diddly-squat-about-either-team baseball fan thinks Adams ought to be looking at some unpaid time off courtesy of MLB.

After watching the video, I tend to agree. This isn't even something you can point to frustration as an excuse. The fan did nothing to impede the play at all. There is no excuse to shove a fan, no matter how minor it is. Especially with the rivalry of the two teams.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #448
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Far be it for me to defend the Cards, but this angle looks a bit more representative than the chopped up vine on SBNation:

GIF: Matt Adams pushes Reds fan with his glove - CBSSports.com

SI

I'll change my opinion about getting in the way of the play now. I won't change my opinion about the shove. A player should never contact a fan. Period.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll change my opinion about getting in the way of the play now. I won't change my opinion about the shove. A player should never contact a fan. Period.

I agree with both of those (barring some sort of incidental contact- like diving into the crowd, etc)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #450
TroyF
Coordinator

I'll just throw this out there: You don't want to be like David Stern and only penalize to the end result here. If the fan had went after Adams and started punching and going crazy, there is zero doubt Adams would be facing a LONG suspension for instigating the entire brawl.

Don't let the fact the fan chose to simply flip him the bird as some joke. The next time he (or any other player does it), it could end very badly for everyone. Don't risk it. Suspend Adams for five or ten and make it clear to everyone the next time a fan is contacted this year it will be worse. Nip this garbage in the bud right now.