Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #51
Thomkal
Head Coach

The first trailer for Star Trek: Picard was shown today at San Diego Comic Con. Doesn't start until next year and unfortunately will be on CBS All Access channel. I still have not seen any of Discovery because of this and now it looks like the same with Picard.

Nice trailer will give you goosebumps if you watched The Next Generation. And there's one or two familiar faces there too.

Trailer link not working, if you go to CBS.com its on or near their front page. Can see it on twitter too,

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-20-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks, I'll check it out.

BTW - I haven't seen Discovery also because I didn't want to pay for CBS Access. However, I'm going to buy a used Season 1 Blu-Ray for $20+$4 on Amazon.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

Been catching up to Picard (finally got CBS All Access).

After pretty slow start, the past 2 episodes have been fantastic.

Hugh (yes, that Hugh), Deanna, Will, and Seven of Nine (not so much her though) and Data's "legacy". Enjoyed seeing Deanna & Will in life after StarFleet.

I did enjoy Discovery s1 and s2 but it got too overly convoluted and fancy CGI. Discovery did have a couple good "moral"" dilemma episodes which was great.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wish they'd released them all at once. Paying for a streaming service and then having to wait for TV release schedules is the worst, really. It took 8 episodes, but I don't hate Picard anymore. They're clearly making the show for a different audience, coupled with a lot of fan service to draw in the die hards, but I'm mostly fine with what they've done with it, even if I clearly prefer what it used to be.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #55
JediKooter
Coordinator

I've thoroughly have enjoyed both shows so far. And it looks like the Captain Pike show got a green light, if true, definitely looking forward to that one.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #56
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
...Captain Pike...got a green light.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-16-2020 at 07:12 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #57
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Haha! I can imagine that the only dialog is comprised of Yes or No questions.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #58
Edward64
Head Coach

This week's Picard was okay but not as strong as past couple episodes. The "reunion" was cool and looking forward to next week's episode with the Romulans.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jean-Luc Picard has a gift for you to help you survive quarantine. A free month of CBS All Access where you can watch any show on there:

Sir Patrick Stewart Announces Free Month Of CBS All Access, Make It So! | HotHardware
Old 04-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #60
Edward64
Head Coach

The "tower" thingy was weird and I didn't like how they introduced the "super monsters" (whatever they are). But overall a good finale. I liked the ending-ending, thought that was well done.

Overall, I enjoyed the series. Less fancy CGI than Discovery, more like the traditional ST than Discovery etc. Picard's supporting cast was weak though. The guest appearances of Will, Deanna, Data, Hugh, 7 of 9 etc. were all good.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #61
Edward64
Head Coach

Catching up on Discovery s3.

I love the idea of going into the future, the "burn" story line, having a wide new galaxy to explore.

But some of the individual episodes suck. Michael's mom showing up WTF was that. Tilly as Riker, what BS. Michelle Yeoh is wasted, why bother even having her character, dump her in a planet somewhere and get back to her when she has a more meaty part.

I'll continue to watch because it is Star Trek but wish they would get better writers.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:28 AM   #62
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished watching s3. My earlier comments hold true, great overarching plot concept but individual episodes were pretty weak. Season finale revealed why "the burn" happened and all that time I was thinking eliminate the threat so it doesn't happen again but no ... Federation had its high and mighty touchy, feely principles.

Entertaining but not as strong as I would have hoped. It does setup s4 pretty nicely with "lots of explore out there (again)".
Old 01-14-2021, 11:56 PM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

S3 was almost like a different show compared to the first two seasons. I liked it a lot more, though that writers room still mostly irritates me in ways that none of the old shows -- even Enterprise -- did, yet...those didn't have the burdens that this one has with all of the old IP it has to deal with on top of the reboot movies.

Hopefully S4 builds on things more, that Tilly and the rest indeed got their promotions [looked like she did] and we learn more about this bridge crew because we don't.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #64
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
S3 was almost like a different show compared to the first two seasons. I liked it a lot more, though that writers room still mostly irritates me in ways that none of the old shows -- even Enterprise -- did, yet...those didn't have the burdens that this one has with all of the old IP it has to deal with on top of the reboot movies.

Hopefully S4 builds on things more, that Tilly and the rest indeed got their promotions [looked like she did] and we learn more about this bridge crew because we don't.

I did like how they paid a homage to Voyager (when they found the Federation) and wonder if they are setting something up for s4.

Yes, s4 has been setup well. A "new" galaxy to explore. But if I was the chief honcho, there is no way I'd let them leave to explore before I am able to duplicate the spore drive. That is one of those non-sensical stuff I'm frustrated with with this seasons stories.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I liked this season a lot more than Season 2 (I still think the Lorca plot in Season 1 was the best), but man was that explanation for The Burn the most ridiculous nonsense ever.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #66
Edward64
Head Coach

Just renewed my Paramount account and looking forward to catching up on Discovery & Picard.

But saw Strange New Worlds and just finished Ep 1.

Holy crap, it was great. Nothing too fancy or overwhelming special effects like on Discovery. Much more sedate, some funny lines, much more like the original with a bigger budget and better acting.

Watch it!

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-17-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #67
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished watching Strange New Worlds s1. There were a couple episodes that was just weird and not my style (but did fit into how sometimes TOS and STTNG had quirky episodes). Pike, Spock and Uhura are great characters.

Watched Discovery s4.1 and the 2 styles couldn't be any different. I'll finish watching s4 and then check out Picard s2. But right now, Strange New Worlds > Discovery > Picard.

Then there are the animation series to watch!
Old 08-19-2022, 08:42 PM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

Think I've figured out why I'm not a big Discovery s4 fan so far. There's too much hugging and "talking". The hugging makes it "unrealistic" vs previous ST shows.

I'm thinking this was purposely done to attract and be more relevant to the < Gen X.

The special effects (and the Discovery ship) are the best & coolest of the various ST series. And do think this is smart of Paramount because Picard & Strange New Worlds with TOS and STTNG connections are for the Gen X+.

And I do love how they've setup Discovery being in the future and having post-Burn to explore (e.g. open ended new discoveries). Just keep the damn hugging to a minimum.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Think I've figured out why I'm not a big Discovery s4 fan so far. There's too much hugging and "talking". The hugging makes it "unrealistic" vs previous ST shows.

I'm thinking this was purposely done to attract and be more relevant to the < Gen X.

The special effects (and the Discovery ship) are the best & coolest of the various ST series. And do think this is smart of Paramount because Picard & Strange New Worlds with TOS and STTNG connections are for the Gen X+.

And I do love how they've setup Discovery being in the future and having post-Burn to explore (e.g. open ended new discoveries). Just keep the damn hugging to a minimum.

<---gives Edward a big hug because he clearly needs one {{{}}}
Old 08-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
<---gives Edward a big hug because he clearly needs one {{{}}}

Definitely wouldn't mind being hugged by her.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #71
Thomkal
Head Coach

heh
Old 08-21-2022, 08:05 PM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished Discovery s4. Yup, too much talking and "hugging".

Picard is next.

Special guest appearance in season finale. You guys recognize her?

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-21-2022 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:58 PM   #73
Edward64
Head Coach

Working my way through Picard s2. Thank God, only 2 hugs so far and not between Starfleet personnel.

We've got time travel (which I hate) and Q (which I hate). But it does have Borg which I like. And although there is a lot of dialog, it's not the mumbo jumbo, fake science dialog from Discovery.

So far, Strange New Worlds > Picard > Discovery.

EDIT: finished Picard s2. Eh, a little too "deus ex machina" in the final episode and too much time travel/consequences baloney.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-23-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #74
Edward64
Head Coach

Great news.

Strange New Worlds have been renewed and 2 new series -- Starfleet Academy and Section 31. Wesley Crusher was annoying so hope they have better writers.

Discovery has been cancelled and probably last season of Picard.

Quote:
CBS Studios and Paramount+ have formally announced Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, a new Star Trek series that will follow a new class of Starfleet cadets.

Production on the show is set to begin in 2024. In celebration of the series order, co-showrunners and executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Noga Landau released the following statement that gives a little bit of insight into what Starfleet Academy is all about:

“Admission is now open to Starfleet Academy! Explore the galaxy! Captain your destiny! For the first time in over a century, our campus will be re-opened to admit individuals a minimum of 16 Earth years (or species equivalent) who dream of exceeding their physical, mental and spiritual limits, who value friendship, camaraderie, honor and devotion to a cause greater than themselves.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #75
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure this was already announced as the last season of Picard

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:01 AM   #76
Edward64
Head Coach

Last nights Picard was ... poor. I've read that s3 is the best so far and I'm doubtful. This is dragging on.

I've been watching some old TNG episodes. TNG Beverly Crusher <> Picard Beverly Crusher. I have to conclude some plastic surgery happened.

I do think the reason why Strange New Worlds works for me is because it is more episodic vs Discovery/Picard with one major arc. SNW tells the story, we learn to moral to the story and we are done.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:04 PM   #77
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Vadic is a badass, but the pacing of these shows stresses me out and I hate all the cliffhangers of a movie paced out week to week.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:25 PM   #78
Edward64
Head Coach

Re-watched the series premiere of DS9 tonight. Always liked DS9 with Sisko, Dax, Cardassian (which sounds too much like Kardashian for my liking), cool looking Defiant, but always hated the Emissary, religious overtones.

Be nice if they found a way to bring back Sisko for a cameo with Picard. I don't remember if they formally made up because of Borg-Picard destroying Sisko's ship and killing his wife. If not, a nice way to give closure
Old 04-02-2023, 12:37 AM   #79
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Re-watched the series premiere of DS9 tonight. Always liked DS9 with Sisko, Dax, Cardassian (which sounds too much like Kardashian for my liking), cool looking Defiant, but always hated the Emissary, religious overtones.

Be nice if they found a way to bring back Sisko for a cameo with Picard. I don't remember if they formally made up because of Borg-Picard destroying Sisko's ship and killing his wife. If not, a nice way to give closure

Avery Brooks won't be returning because he's apparently officially retired. But DS9 deserved better for sure.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #80
Edward64
Head Coach

Just pure speculation for sure but not without hope!

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...star-trek.html
Quote:
Avery Brooks played Captain Benjamin Sisko on Deep Space Nine, and now, decades later, he's willing to return to the franchise if the story is the right fit.
Quote:
In multiple interviews, he’s expressed interest in returning as Benjamin Sisko, and while it hasn’t happened yet, fans have been anxiously waiting ever since the end credits of the Deep Space Nine series finale.
re: my question if they ever reconciled, the below is on the series premiere and apparently there wasn't another event.

Quote:
At the end of the episode when he formally accepts the position from Picard you can tell that Sisko forgives Picard.

SISKO: Captain, regarding our conversation about someone to replace me. PICARD: Yes, I'm sorry I haven't had time yet to communicate that to Command. SISKO: I would prefer you ignore it, sir. PICARD: I'm not sure that I can. Are you certain that's what you want, because we cannot afford to have an officer who's SISKO: I'm certain, sir. (They shake hands.) PICARD: Good luck, Mister Sisko.

at this point he moves beyond wolf 359, forgiving picard's role but never forgetting it. By the time of the Reckoning Sisko has moved well beyond blaming Picard for his role, and I think its that acceptance is why he had faith in the profits to save Jake while killing the pah'wrath.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-02-2023 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:27 AM   #81
Edward64
Head Coach

Wow. In googling on Avery Brooks, I (somehow) found below.

I never knew. I remember watching Roots. It's funny watching old shows/episodes of something and recognizing actor/actress in their early careers.

Quote:
Levardis Robert Martyn Burton, Jr. professionally known as LeVar Burton, is an American actor, director and author who first came to prominence portraying Kunta Kinte in the 1977 award-winning ABC television miniseries Roots, based on the novel by Alex Haley.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-02-2023 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:52 PM   #82
Edward64
Head Coach

An okay Picard episode. But glad its coming to an end for the big reveal about Picard's son, whatever that is.

Some stuff got resolved, pretty good special effects, Data stuff was just stupid, but Worf had a great funny.

Orig Beverly Crusher > Orig Deanna Troy
Older Deanna Troy > Older Beverly Crusher
Old 04-07-2023, 04:13 PM   #83
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry, I don't frequent this thread. You didn't remember Levar Burton in Roots? That mini series was such a big deal in my childhood. I will always remember him for that, and then Reading Rainbow.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-07-2023 at 04:13 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:45 PM   #84
Edward64
Head Coach

I remember Roots but no, did not connect Levar Burton as the actor for Kunta Kinte.
Old 04-13-2023, 05:56 PM   #85
Edward64
Head Coach

Picard revealed a new Enterprise during Frontier Day (!) and that was cool. We now know what the big reveal is about his son and I kinda like it, very imaginative.

But the Starfleet "strategy" is beyond belief.

A better than average episode but ready for the series finale next week.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:47 AM   #86
Edward64
Head Coach

Strange New Worlds s2 is coming on Jun 15.

Made me wonder about the Orville s4. Looks like a long wait if it's even produced.

Quote:
As of January 28, 2023, over five months following the third season finale, the series has been neither renewed nor canceled.[3]
Old 04-20-2023, 10:56 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

The finale was the best Picard s3 episode. Had a little bit of everything. The story arc ending seemed rushed to me but the epilogue was nice! (be sure to watch through the credits)

A new Enterprise, a new crew. Haven't heard they are going to get their own series but they may show up the other new series (or are they in a different timeline or different parallel universe?).
Old 05-27-2023, 06:47 AM   #88
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been rewatching Strange New Worlds in anticipation of s2 on Jun 15. IMO only one weak episode, everything else has been worthy of Star Trek at its finest.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:44 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Strange New Worlds s2.1 was fantastic. One of the best episodes of any Trek.

They are (I think) changing the lore some but I'm okay with it. I'm sure they'll continue to explore this in s2. Truly a great episode.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:03 AM   #90
Mota
College Benchwarmer

As someone who has never been a Star Trek fan, where would you recommend someone start in 2023? Do you start with the new shows Strange New Worlds, Picard and Discovery? I tried going back to the 1960's and watching TOS, and it's just not going to happen.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As someone who has never been a Star Trek fan, where would you recommend someone start in 2023? Do you start with the new shows Strange New Worlds, Picard and Discovery? I tried going back to the 1960's and watching TOS, and it's just not going to happen.

Hey welcome! Going to try make you a fan ...

I would definitely start with Strange New Worlds. Of all the newer series, it is the most faithful to the original with its more episodic story telling, the acting is great, just enough drama & humor.

All the others have this main "save the galaxy/universe" arc that most every episode builds on. SNS is much more subdued.

It is painful to watch the older legacy series. Compared to today, bad special effects, not great acting etc. I do re-watch some episodes that I really enjoy. For TNG, I highly recommend you watch s5.25. That is one of my all time favorites.

Quote:
"The Inner Light" is the 125th episode overall and the 25th and penultimate episode of the fifth season of the American science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-16-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #92
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Edward, I'm going to give that one a try first. I realized I was never going to be able to start from the very beginning. I do enjoy the big story arcs though as well, some of my favorite shows (Barry, Succession, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad) have the larger narrative, even if some episodes may tell their own stories.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 01:16 PM   #93
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

I cannot watch TOS episodes these days-too cheesey, old special effects, etc.

My starting place with one caveat to start is The Next Generation. It was the first new star trek series really since the TOS, and the first season is a bit rough given the actors/writers/directors were often new to Star Trek themselves, and not quite ready to showcase Roddenberry's vision for the show. After that first season, the actors have all grown into their characters.

Plus so much of Star Trek history and lore develop in that show-like the Borg, Q, new/more developed races like the Cardassians, Ferengi, etc. A lot of TNG characters/storylines move on to the newer shows especially Deep Space Nine. I've only seen one season of Discovery and none of Picard, but I have to think a lot of that carries on to those shows too, especially Picard. So I think The Next Generation is the place for newbie Trek fans to start.

Also I have not seen Strange New Worlds yet, but I noticed the other day on the Paramount Plus You Tube channel they have at least Season One there, so a good place to catch up on that one.
Old 06-16-2023, 03:13 PM   #94
Thomkal
Head Coach

And why not Stellaris in the Star Trek Universe? Star Trek:Infinite announced:

Star Trek: Infinite on Steam
Old 06-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #95
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I was listening to William Shatner on a podcast today (Fly on the Wall). That dude is amazing. He is 92 years old, and his mind is as sharp as ever. And he is still making music! He is a complete freak of nature.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:46 PM   #96
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And why not Stellaris in the Star Trek Universe? Star Trek:Infinite announced:

Star Trek: Infinite on Steam

Thanks, didn't know about it. But the Steam discussion is not kind.

There is/was a ST mod for Stellaris a while ago. But it seemed Stellaris updates were too massive/rapid where it couldn't really keep up.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:23 AM   #97
Edward64
Head Coach

SNW s2.2 was solid. Not great, somewhat boring, but told a good story about how the Federation, with supposedly good reason, discriminates for the greater good.

Hopefully, back to some more action next week.

BTW, Wesley Crusher hosts a show after SNW. Interviews a main cast member, good to see him. But I never did like the character. If they brought him in as an ensign initially, that would have been great. But they spent some years developing him as Beverly Crusher's smart kid first and never thought he fit well with TNG.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-23-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:00 AM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

This week's episode was another Spock & Nurse Chapel. Spock exploring his human side, learning more about mom, Vulcan customs etc. This is a winning formula for me. Just a tad below s2.1 but still very good episode.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:39 PM   #99
Edward64
Head Coach

This week's was just okay. Another one of those with a Federation morality plot.

Nothing too special other than a little more Spock & Nurse Chapel, and a little more on Jim Kirk & La'an.

But the best scene was Kirk meeting & shaking hands with Spock for the very first time (with a long hold on that shot). A milestone for what's to come in this timeline/alternate reality.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #100
Edward64
Head Coach

SNW s2.ep7 "Those Old Scientists"

I hated this episode but admire the risks they took.

You have to watch it for yourself. It was very creative, imaginative and somewhat funny (the admire part). But I had way too many "no way, that wouldn't happen" and "that person is pretty annoying" (the hate part).