Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #301
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Well, that was certainly a rapid evolution in your opinion of the virus.

Yeah, watching the virus and paying attention does wonders. Im still worried about my FIL who has respiratory issues and is near 70. I imagine if he gets it he wont make it out.

Its an interesting virus. Seems to be like a cold which most younger peoples immune systems are able to cope with.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #302
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

So is this the end of humanity as reddit wants me to believe? I do really hope it's either seasonal or USA mitigates it better than China in the early stages. I tend to really get anxiety over this stuff.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #303
RainMaker
General Manager

CNBC is losing their minds.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #304
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think that is exactly where that 3% number is coming from.

Ya, the 3.4% is just 90,869 reported cases divided by reported 3,112 deaths (as of Tuesday).

By this rationale, the U.S. mortality rate was around 11% at the same time. (9 out of 80 through Tuesday, but now we're at something like 12 out of 223 so it's gone down already.)

The "real" mortality rate has to be way, way below both of those numbers. Otherwise China would have been decimated (as in REALLY decimated), and reports are they've stabilized and industry is starting to come back gradually. And the death rate of un-reported cases would have to be higher than the death rate of reported cases. Which doesn't seem possible.

I Lived Through SARS and Reported on Ebola. These Are the Questions We Should Be Asking About Coronavirus. — ProPublica

Apparently 80% of even the reported cases got better without any particular medical intervention. Not even counting the people who get better on their own and never seek medical care.

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/nati...eously-recover

Meanwhile at least two people from my office are home with a cough and fever. I don't know if they're going into get treated, or if there's even testing available around here, but, I could understand people just preferring to wait it out at home rather than become a part of a national and world news story unless things get too bad. Americans are good at avoiding the doctor.

Last edited by molson : 03-05-2020 at 05:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #305
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My company is cancelling all in-person meetings of 20 or more, and forcing people who have traveled internationally to stay home for 14 days (with pay) after coming home to make sure they aren't showing any symptoms before they return to work.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #306
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
My company is cancelling all in-person meetings of 20 or more, and forcing people who have traveled internationally to stay home for 14 days (with pay) after coming home to make sure they aren't showing any symptoms before they return to work.

We're similar except (strangely) everyone is also being asked to work from home if they are able to.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #307
DanGarion
Coordinator

Woohoo, we have our annual sales convention starting this weekend in Nashville! 3,000 people with an average age of about 54 flying to a centralized location and socializing... I can't wait. Especially since I'm in our registration booth checking in all these people for the first day and a half... FML.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Woohoo, we have our annual sales convention starting this weekend in Nashville! 3,000 people with an average age of about 54 flying to a centralized location and socializing... I can't wait. Especially since I'm in our registration booth checking in all these people for the first day and a half... FML.

Use hand sanitizer after every handshake and spray every business card.

Don't forget to lysol wipe every door handle and elevator buttons before use. And of course, after you wash your hands, and close the faucet, lysol wipe your hands again.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #309
Thomkal
Head Coach

That's just insane RainMaker. I suspect that's the last time we see him on CNBC
Old 03-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #310
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

First two cases in Colorado. Took a tourist who had been in Italy to get that testing so I'm sure there are more.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #311
tarcone
Coordinator

Sounds like they are testing 5 in St Louis county.

I hope this is just a test to scare people into preparedness for when the real virus comes to wipe us all out.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #312
RainMaker
General Manager

Seems like a lot of these new cases are coming fro Italy?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #313
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is good to know that price gouging doesn’t just happen with water. $9.99 for a 1 ounce bottle of Purell, $499 for a case of 12 8-oz bottles. Both on Amazon.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 PM   #314
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
So is this the end of humanity as reddit wants me to believe? I do really hope it's either seasonal or USA mitigates it better than China in the early stages. I tend to really get anxiety over this stuff.

No, but it's going to cause a lot of disruption over the next several months.

And it will be worse here in the US than it should be because the WH is more concerned with PR than healthcare right now.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #315
Edward64
Head Coach

Fauci on CNN townhall on Coronavirus. He’s clearing his throat quite a bit and looks under the weather.

Says WHO is purely arithmetic formula. He said when you do modeling with some assumptions it’s lower. Basically won’t know until more US testing. My guess is the mortality is lower than the WHO estimates.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #316
JPhillips
General Manager

In the U.S. if mortality is 1% that means there are 1400 cases.

We don't know because we aren't testing anyone.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #317
RainMaker
General Manager

South Korea probably provides the best data we'll see for awhile. They are more advanced when it comes to testing (I believe they are doing 10,000 a day) and have a better health care system. We'll likely see what the rate is under the best conditions soon.

Right now it shows (in South Korea):

Confirmed: 6,284
Deaths: 40
Recovered: 135
Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #318
JPhillips
General Manager

“We closed it down. We stopped it.” -Trump this morning.

That won’t age well.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #319
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
“We closed it down. We stopped it.” -Trump this morning.

That won’t age well.

It won't matter. He will claim he never said it and his followers will lap it up.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #320
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My alma mater closing classes until end of the quarter.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #321
molson
General Manager

My work is pretty much decimated now by illness, most I've seen in the 12 years I've been here. 2 of my 3 supervisors out, and about half of 6 support staff I have dealings with are out.

Could be a coincidence. Or it could be running through here now. Business as usual otherwise though, things are moved around and delayed like is done in a bad flu season. The role and overall duties of the office haven't been impacted. (though it's not encouraged in normal times, we can do most of our work from home so I think there will be a lot more of that going forward).

Last edited by molson : 03-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #322
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

One of the dudes that has a confirmed case of the 'Rona is a concessionaire for the Seattle XFL team.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #323
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

At this point, we need to plan on everyone getting it eventually and just trying to slow the spread so our health-care infrastructure isn't overwhelmed. Everyone getting at once would be apocalyptic.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #324
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
My employer (Capital One) is asking all NoVa based employees to work at home on Monday so they can stress-test the VPN in the event the decision is made to close all offices and branches and make the necessary upgrades.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #325
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quad-Dola -

This is my first quad dola.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #326
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
My employer (Capital One) is asking all NoVa based employees to work at home on Monday so they can stress-test the VPN in the event the decision is made to close all offices and branches and make the necessary upgrades.

JP Morgan did it a couple days ago I believe.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-06-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #327
henry296
College Starter

We are having everyone work from home today as a test as well.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #328
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Quad-Dola -

This is my first quad dola.

Congratulations!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #329
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
At this point, we need to plan on everyone getting it eventually and just trying to slow the spread so our health-care infrastructure isn't overwhelmed. Everyone getting at once would be apocalyptic.

I was surprised when I read the US has less than one million staffed hospital beds. If there's a big hit all at once we'll be overwhelmed.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #330
Atocep
Coordinator

The hospital I work out apparently hasn't had access to test kits but is expecting enough to start testing staff soon. The current plan is for staff to voluntarily test and anyone that tests positive will be sent him with paid leave.

Absolutely crazy that test kits have been so limited that a hospital less than hour from Seattle hadn't received any.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #331
JPhillips
General Manager

Another 11 cases in NY with @4000 in precautionary quarantine(whatever that means).
Old 03-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #332
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The hospital I work out apparently hasn't had access to test kits but is expecting enough to start testing staff soon. The current plan is for staff to voluntarily test and anyone that tests positive will be sent him with paid leave.

Absolutely crazy that test kits have been so limited that a hospital less than hour from Seattle hadn't received any.

My local hospital doesn't have tests yet despite a case locally. They are just telling people to self-quarantine if they think they have it.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #333
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Susan Collins Unable to Decide Whether to Wash Hands | The New Yorker
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #334
Kodos
Resident Alien

She'd like to wash her hands of the matter, but...
Old 03-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #335
MrBug708
Head Coach

We have no symptoms of it at all, just colds, but my daughter licked a handrail at Disneyland last week. And I am a teacher. I'm hoping my immune system can fight off most things
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #336
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
my daughter licked a handrail at Disneyland last week.

I admit I LOLed at this.

We did a disney cruise and my son has this tic where he chews his fingers to the bone. I constantly told him not to do it. Come Friday, luckily last day of the trip, he starts puking everywhere. He blamed it on the water he swallowed on the Aquaduck water slide.

The plus side was the next day customs leaving the ship apparently knew what was up because they moved us to the very front of the line. I'm guessing they didn't want a mess to clean up.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:45 PM   #337
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mine licked an escalator rail in an airport at the beginning of spring break. Three days later, fever and puking. I don't think there's any other expected outcome.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #338
JPhillips
General Manager

This should work well in a state with all the old people.

Quote:
Florida will not follow new national guidelines that allow doctors to order tests for anybody they suspect of having the new coronavirus, according to health care providers briefed on the state’s plan.

The federal changes allow doctors to test more people faster to contain the spread of the highly contagious virus.

Instead, Florida’s health leaders advised doctors to order tests only for people who fit a more narrow criteria: a history of travel to a high-risk area, or close contact with a confirmed coronavirus patient within 14 days of showing symptoms.

Why? Florida officials are concerned the state’s three labs — in Miami, Jacksonville and Tampa — would be overwhelmed by the number of tests, slowing the entire process.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #339
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This should work well in a state with all the old people.

Also one of the hottest and most humid. Just sayin...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:01 PM   #340
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump at the CDC.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #341
RainMaker
General Manager

The whole thing was pretty sick. Wearing a campaign hat, having the CDC guy say the most important thing is praising Trump and then blatantly lying to the public about the threat and tests.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #342
RainMaker
General Manager

Also shouldn't everyone have been tested on this ship? Especially since such a high number of the tests they gave came back positive?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...pence-n1151936
Old 03-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #343
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also shouldn't everyone have been tested on this ship? Especially since such a high number of the tests they gave came back positive?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...pence-n1151936

It seems an open question as to whether the CDC has an extra 3 or 4 thousand tests.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #344
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

Two cases now in people that were at the AIPAC conference.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #345
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I really hope testing rolls out next week. I don't want to see millions of Americans dead. My state, Illinois, seems to have said screw it and are doing their own testing. Though, I don't know if they're testing outside of Chicago.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #346
Kodos
Resident Alien

Connecticut now joins the list of infected states with a confirmed case in Danbury.

Edit: actually they only work in 2 hospitals in CT, but are a NY resident.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-06-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #347
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Connecticut now joins the list of infected states with a confirmed case in Danbury.

Edit: actually they only work in 2 hospitals in CT, but are a NY resident.

KY officially as well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #348
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #349
JPhillips
General Manager

And MN, OK, and NE.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #350
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And MN, OK, and NE.

Seems fairly obvious that this is already here and widespread which seems to be nothing but a good thing. Not to say Trump is doing anything right but we arent seeing 20 year olds dropping dead in the streets and while maybe 70-80 year olds have been dying from this apparently their loved ones must not have been to shocked of their death to investigate whether it was coronavirus.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote