Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

16-bit systems and digital televisions

Anybody have any experience getting the two to play nice with one another?

The model Sega Genesis I have, I don't think AV cables exist for, so I've gotta try to make this work with an RF adapter, and I'm not having a lot of success so far.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

If you have Sega Genesis 1

If you have Sega Genesis 2 or 3
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

This could probably get you going

Amazon.com: Sega Genesis A/V RCA cables: Video Games: Reviews, Prices & more
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Whoops, Ant got there first
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

I may ultimately go that route, but I was hoping there might've been a faster (read: don't have to wait for shipping) route to getting my NHL 96 on.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I may ultimately go that route, but I was hoping there might've been a faster (read: don't have to wait for shipping) route to getting my NHL 96 on.

Man I'm not sure it was the 96 edition but darn my friends and I played that for hours and hours. I think it was an earlier year, and we played mostly co-op. "sweep the goalie!"
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Man I'm not sure it was the 96 edition but darn my friends and I played that for hours and hours. I think it was an earlier year, and we played mostly co-op. "sweep the goalie!"

I think NHL 96 is either my 2nd or 3rd most-played Genesis game of all time. Sonic 1 and 2 are far and and away the most-played, and I'd guess that Road Rash II slips in ahead of NHL 96 as well, but after that?

Man.

I think that was the game that turned my brother off to sports games, because I discovered that if you raced down the wing and then turned sharply in front of the goal, you could backhand it in past the goalie, and he never could replicate that.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As much as I hated the fighting game trend in the 90s, I'm guessing Street Fighter 2 and the Mortal Kombats probably are some of the most played, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

NBA Jam, NHL (from 92-96), Madden, Super Tecmo Bowl 3, and Mortal Kombat (It has blood!) all topped my playtime.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's hard to find old console numbers. Numbers from the N64/PSX generation and on are quite plentiful. Before that, it's hard to find information. According to wiki, here are the top selling games from the Genesis in terms of sales:

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Random stat while I was looking up numbers:

I loved the Gamecube but there is just something about the Wii and insane sales numbers it's putting up this generation. The highest selling Gamecube game was SSBM at 7.09M and second was Mario Kart at 7.0M. Also, gotta remind the people who think last generation was the PS2 and XBox show- that's not even close to true as the PS2 did 145M, XBox did...24M and Gamecube did 21.7M. Best selling XBox game, Halo 2 at 8.0M and the second best selling was Halo at 5.0M. The 10th best selling Wii game is at 7.6M and that generation isn't even done yet so, yeah, there will be at least 10 Wii games that sell more than anything the Gamecube or XBox did.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

I took my Genesis in today with the RF cable to the shop where I bought Sonic & Knuckles to see if we could figure out whether the system or the cable might've been bad.

The cable and system both worked there, but when I hooked the RF up to a friend's non-digital TV, no love.

The shop did have one of those AV cables, so I went ahead and bought it, and that's working on my digital TV. Happy ending, I guess.

I decided to go through my Genesis collection and rank my top ten games played over the years:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Road Rash II
NHL '96
Sonic 2
Triple Play '96
Mutant League Football
Vectorman
Mutant League Hockey
Golden Axe
Bulls v Blazers and the NBA Playoffs

If you count the Sega CD, you can bump Golden Axe and Bulls v Blazers from the list and replace them with Sewer Shark and Third World War, respectively.