Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

..!..

Last edited by EagleFan : 08-14-2014 at 07:46 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Loot and burn down that damn bridge!!!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

This is an illustration of the benefits of requiring cameras to document all interactions between active-duty police and the public they encounter. In this case, the cameras show the good. Recordings can also mitigate (but probably not eliminate) the "he-said, she-said" aspects of interactions that go awry.

And, in general, people (both the police and the public) will likely behave better knowing their words and actions are being recorded.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

I know this thread title is in jest, but it still comes off as pretty insensitive. Maybe that's just me, though.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Maybe that's just me, though.

Its not just you.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I know this thread title is in jest, but it still comes off as pretty insensitive. Maybe that's just me, though.

Not just you
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

I admit I cried a little.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I haven't watched the video since I am at work. Why is the title insensitive? Did the jumper not make it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If it's insensitive to point out something good, I don't think that word means what you think it does...
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #11
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I am on a first name basis with many police officers in my town, including the Chief and the Deputy Chief. I like them all (well one guy I know is a jerk), think they're good police officers and am glad to have them risking their lives on my behalf (including the jerk).

I do think the title is insensitive, though this is an entirely appropriate moment to point out the heroism of police. It's insensitive not because it's good but because it dismisses what is happening in Missouri.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 08-14-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #12
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If you think the "pointing out something good" is the insensitive part, you're an ignorant ass
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
If it's insensitive to point out something good, I don't think that word means what you think it does...

It's because you're setting up the strawman of "if people think some cops did the wrong thing in one situation, or believe that not every cop in the world is a humanitarian, it means they think every cop is evil/brings upon a reign of terror". It's a complete chicken shit thing to do, and yes, you did it to instigate especially with your title.

You could have very easily started a "in this thread we talk about where cops do good things" thread similar to our athletes one if you actually wanted people to focus on positives.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It's because you're setting up the strawman of "if people think some cops did the wrong thing in one situation, or believe that not every cop in the world is a humanitarian, it means they think every cop is evil/brings upon a reign of terror". It's a complete chicken shit thing to do, and yes, you did it to instigate especially with your title.

Seriously. I grew up next door to a police officer who went on to become chief for the township squad. Great guy. We have a retired Frederick cop at the end of our cul-de-sac. Also a good guy (though he may or may not be a rat for the HOA, so... ). There's another at the top of our street who is retiring in a month. Again - fantastic guy to talk to, nice family. One of the twins next door is looking to go into law enforcement (the other wants to go into the military). Has never been anything but polite and respectful. His parents did a great job.

Nobody is saying all cops are bad or that they don't do good for people. But, I think we need to realize that cops treat all citizens and communities the same either.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 08-14-2014 at 07:57 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #15
PilotMan
Head Coach

One of my friends was forced into a relationship with a cop when she was a minor (he wasn't) and she was repeatedly subject to physical and sexual assault. He would brag that there was nothing that she could do because it was his word against hers.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Mixed on the title, but not on the message, because the bad is often shoved down our throats, while the good is glossed over.

And I am in no way saying the bad should be glossed over, if there is wrong doing it should be investigated thoroughly and punishment meted out accordingly, a young man died and a family is grieving and deserves justice if the officer was out of line. But this does not mean there is a fucking epidemic of police brutality as some always want to insinuate.

The vast majority of LEO's are great people, who want to make a difference, but subjected to long hours, daily pressures of the job and the dangers they face daily, even good officers can make a bad decision.

Doesn't make it right or change a wrong, I get kind of tired of it tipping the scales so far to the negative, especially having a son who is a LEO, a great young man and committed to doing the best he can.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
Autumn
Head Coach

I, for one, welcome our new overlords.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

It goes much deeper Autumn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP.jpg (14.4 KB, 307 views)
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

You could have very easily started a "in this thread we talk about where cops do good things" thread similar to our athletes one if you actually wanted people to focus on positives.

Yep. The title is trolling.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Meh... Insensitive about something that means NOTHING to anyone on this board? Not one person is affected by that and you are acting like it was your best friend that was involved. Lighten up Francis.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #21
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
This is an illustration of the benefits of requiring cameras to document all interactions between active-duty police and the public they encounter. In this case, the cameras show the good. Recordings can also mitigate (but probably not eliminate) the "he-said, she-said" aspects of interactions that go awry.

And, in general, people (both the police and the public) will likely behave better knowing their words and actions are being recorded.

And it appears as though the city of Ferguson does not have dashcams installed in their police patrol cars because there is no budget.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/14/us/fer...html?hpt=hp_t1

So, there is no way to officially document the good or the bad that the Ferguson police do.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 08-14-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 PM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

Just so there is no mystery, I changed the thread title because you were trolling.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If a video of someone having their life saved is trolling... If we have gotten that fragile we are at a sad state...
Old 08-15-2014, 01:43 AM   #24
digamma
Torchbearer

No one said anything about your actual post. You edited that and you've edited your thread title again. If you can't figure out why your initial thread title was trolling, let me know, but it's fairly obvious you knew exactly what you were doing. Stop.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

Everybody, stop all trolling right now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #26
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The title is offensive.
The title is offensive.
The title is offensive.

Why is the video offensive?

The title is trolling.
The title is trolling.
The title is trolling.

Why do people think the video is trolling?

EagleFan might not be the dumbest person in the world, but he deserves a call up from AAA.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #27
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Meh... Insensitive about something that means NOTHING to anyone on this board? Not one person is affected by that and you are acting like it was your best friend that was involved. Lighten up Francis.

Wow
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

If only people didn't change their posts...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote