Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #51
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I find this very sad. I don't think gamers realise what enormous effort and passion goes into publishing these text sims often for little reward and it's a sad day when all that comes to nothing. Best of luck in whatever you take up now Farrah.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 12-15-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #52
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
It did suck, that's for sure. But now that it's over, I'm trying to look back at the positives and make sure I appreciate the lessons I learned.

And it did almost kill Arlie's passion for making games. There was a period of time where he really had to soul search to make sure he wanted to do this again. There was also a point during all of it where I wondered if our marriage would survive. Making games for a living was his dream, and we were in the middle of this mess. I wasn't budging on certain issues, and he wanted to give away the farm to get things done. I think we came out of it stronger than ever, but for a while I was very worried.

And to make things worse, I got myself knocked up during the whole thing. Ugh. Try having a conference call with three attorneys trying to keep your lunch down and dealing with whether or not the proper word is "will" or "shall" for section 3 of the agreement.

Wow! I figured it was rough, but I didn't realize it was this rough. I guess as this whole thing was going down, I was actually glad to see that he was back to creating games again. There are a number of situations when the wife or husband would have deterred the other from wanting to achieve their dream after something like this. And from a certain standpoint, it can be understood. I actually didn't think I would see him programming until after everything was over. But things have worked out for you guys and know you have a little guy to take care of. So it appears that this situation did nothing but strengthen your foundation. Cool.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #53
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Joe Stallings is a douchebag.
And I'm quite sure there are those who think I'm a douchebag. No one comes out of a mess like this smelling like roses.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #54
Hurst2112
College Starter

ok, ok...cracked open the wine...

what about a discount?
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #55
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
I find this very sad. I don't think gamers realise what enormous effort and passion goes into publishing these text sims often for little reward and it's a sad day when all that comes to nothing. Best of luck in whatever you take up now Farrah.
Thanks for the kind wishes Mac (and you too Joe Canadian).

But I don't look at it as coming to nothing - lessons were learned here. Sure the company is gone, and three decent games are going away for good. But each person involved learned something - whether it was about themselves or about how they want to do business in the future...something. We're walking away with tools for the future.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:18 AM   #56
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Dola - man did that sound sappy. Sorry. But you get my point, right?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 AM   #57
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
ok, ok...cracked open the wine...

what about a discount?
TPF for $15. You said you hadn't bought it yet.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 AM   #58
Coder
College Prospect

Lets just hope that Greydog becomes what you wanted with .400.

You're off to a solid start, that's for sure.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 AM   #59
JeeberD
General Manager

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do in the future, Farrah...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:31 AM   #60
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do in the future, Farrah...
Thanks Jeebie-poo.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #61
KeyserSoze
H.S. Freshman Team

Well... I understand that Mrs. Whitworth-Rahn has had a lot of troubles with all .400 mess. And I will miss .400 forum. But that's all. People who loves text-sims is making text-sims. I think the situation of Fast Break is more sad (as I think ther will be no more FBB games).

As a big man said "No matter if there are .400 cats or the cat is grey, the main thing is the cat hunts mouses."
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:39 AM   #62
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks Jeebie-poo.

I thought that was bbor's line.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 AM   #63
Icy
Pro Starter

I can't say i'm sad, as thanks to all that troubles with .400, a new company was born way stronger on GDS. Well done Farrah on supporting Arlie at the end on pursuing his dream and on getting over any possible marriage problem caused by all the .400 mess. You both can be really proud of each other and i'm sure you are.

Over this years i have past from disliking .400 staff to being part of the beta team at GDS for BBCF and to have the pleasure to work with Arlie and to realize how hard is to develop a game and how much pressure we the fans put over the developers. Also learned how a new baby can affect your life and your schedule It's helping me to plan ahead before my wife gives birth to our little girl in 3 months, as i know how messy will be my schedule, not good when your work as self employed.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #64
Tim Tellean
High School JV

A reprint of my post from GDS.
A very sad day has come for me. Arlie's Coaching a Dynasty brought me back to the world of sim games after many years away. I enjoyed CAD so much that when Tournament Dreams College Basketball was released I bought it. Hundreds of hours of fun followed for me and when Total Pro Football was released I bought it. A little helping with TPF patches and Arlie and TC asked me to co-moderate the TPF forum. I've enjoyed the hours of playing and testing all the games and am very sad to see that familiar and comforting .400 banner be folded.
I know through all the bitterness and harsh words that people posted in the forum through the last year they did it out of love. I think we all feel a loss but joy is on the horizon with all the great programmers moving to Grey Dog Software. I know for me it's great to see Arlie, Gary and Adam continue the fine groundwork that .400 laid down.
Hey does anyone remember a few guys with a little baseball game? OOT something....or Shaun and Puresim and the others that over the years that made .400 software studios such a special place.
I'm going to miss the political debates that happened on the forums and the knowledge that even in the final hours people do care for all the friends at .400 that we made and lost.
TC Dale a true champion of the boards and a person I truly call friend. I look forward to a long friendship with you and your family.
Arlie and Farrah thanks for everything you've done for me. I also number you among my friends.
Scott Vibert behind the scenes he did so for .400 and a person I also call friend.
Gary Gorski I appreciate your letting me help to make your basketball games and I look forward to a continued friendship.
Thanks to everyone that made .400 Software Studios such a special place.
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #65
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
im sorry too. 400 is going be known for coming up short with a football sim. that's a pretty shitty legacy (ala Sierra Studios).

I bought TPF, and was disappointed in general, but I will choose to remember it for the good it brought the genre. The draft had much more personality and immersiveness than FOF's, and I cannot help but think that it at least contributed in some small part to the inclusion of multiplayer in FOF2k4.

Congrats on the closing, Farrah?

And stop talking about wearing spit up - you're getting us all hot
Old 12-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #66
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Good luck with Grey Dog! Like Samdari, I was disappointed with TPF, but I don't think I could do any better making a text-sim.

I hope that this is for the best and wish you the best of luck!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #67
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Good luck and best wishes going forward.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #68
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Good luck, Farrah. I hope things work out the way you want them to.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

.400 got me into OOTP4 which led to OOTP5 and made my gameplaying days much more fun and lasting.

Farrah, can you restate the ownership situation of GDS?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #70
General Mike
Pro Starter

Sorry about everything that happened Farrah. Hopefully you guys can enjoy the holidays this year.

I better download TDCB and CAD while I still have the chance.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 AM   #71
Subby
lolzcat

I'll miss Stallings' pretty interfaces.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #72
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
I thought that was bbor's line.

Is it my fault that I'm loved by all?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #73
vtbub
College Starter

Glad you guys got through this. Best of luck in your future.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #74
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
.400 got me into OOTP4 which led to OOTP5 and made my gameplaying days much more fun and lasting.

Farrah, can you restate the ownership situation of GDS?
I can, since that's public record. Might need a flere diagram to accompany the entity structure though.

Grey Dog Software, LLC is a single member LLC owned by Grey Dog Media Group, LLC. Grey Dog Media Group is owned 50/50 by Arlie and myself. I'm the equity partner, and have nothing to do with the operations.

GDS is an operating LLC - meaning it owns nothing of substance. Each game developer owns the various trademarks and copyrights to their products. The devloper then contracts with GDS to publish their games. For you EULA militants - GDS is required to obtain permission from each developer to do so. GDS is also authorized by each developer to protect their trademarks and copyrights when necessary. It wouldn't be uncommon for both GDS and the developer's LLC to contact someone found to be violating the EULA or otherwise profiting from their products without permission.

BBCF and whatever games Arlie writes from this point forward are owned by yet another LLC - Grey Dog Game Design, LLC. He owns that LLC individually. Both Gary and Adam have LLC's (or the UK equivalent) that own their products.

Sounds confusing, and unneccessarily complicated. But it's set up this way for a reason and it seems to be working quite well.

FWIW, I also have a single member LLC to house all my projects from this point forward - FWR Financial Services, LLC. I'm looking for someone to help me get a website set up so if anyone's looking to make some extra cash....

EDIT - Actually I do all the accounting work for all these entities, so to say that I have nothing to do with GDS isn't really accurate. I'll also give Arlie advice if he asks, but I don't have any say in release dates or anything like that.

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 12-15-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #75
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I'll also give Arlie advice if he asks.

A wife that waits to be asked to give her opinions to her husband.

I don't believe a word of it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #76
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
A wife that waits to be asked to give her opinions to her husband.

I don't believe a word of it.
Believe it - this is his deal, not mine. Of course I'll offer suggestions and comments on what the numbers are telling me, but my comments are limited to financial issues in that situation.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #77
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I can, since that's public record. Might need a flere diagram to accompany the entity structure though.

Grey Dog Software, LLC is a single member LLC owned by Grey Dog Media Group, LLC. Grey Dog Media Group is owned 50/50 by Arlie and myself. I'm the equity partner, and have nothing to do with the operations.

GDS is an operating LLC - meaning it owns nothing of substance. Each game developer owns the various trademarks and copyrights to their products. The devloper then contracts with GDS to publish their games. For you EULA militants - GDS is required to obtain permission from each developer to do so. GDS is also authorized by each developer to protect their trademarks and copyrights when necessary. It wouldn't be uncommon for both GDS and the developer's LLC to contact someone found to be violating the EULA or otherwise profiting from their products without permission.

BBCF and whatever games Arlie writes from this point forward are owned by yet another LLC - Grey Dog Game Design, LLC. He owns that LLC individually. Both Gary and Adam have LLC's (or the UK equivalent) that own their products.

Sounds confusing, and unneccessarily complicated. But it's set up this way for a reason and it seems to be working quite well.

FWIW, I also have a single member LLC to house all my projects from this point forward - FWR Financial Services, LLC. I'm looking for someone to help me get a website set up so if anyone's looking to make some extra cash....

EDIT - Actually I do all the accounting work for all these entities, so to say that I have nothing to do with GDS isn't really accurate. I'll also give Arlie advice if he asks, but I don't have any say in release dates or anything like that.

Lawyers. Complicating your lives, one LLC at a time.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #78
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Congratulations. Good to see that you guys have found some personal and professional peace after a long road of bullcrap. I feel like the whole community learned a lot from this as well. Hopefully that means better games (or companies) for everyone in the end, or, at the very least, a groundwork has been laid for a steady stream of future douche bag jokes.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Might need a flere diagram to accompany the entity structure though.

I understood it I think ... which scares me.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:34 AM   #80
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
im sorry too. 400 is going be known for coming up short with a football sim. that's a pretty shitty legacy (ala Sierra Studios).

Unfortunately, In my mind, I will always associate .400 with the bad launch of TPF. (I think the final version is pretty good, but the damage was done.)

I'm glad Arlie can burry that with .400, and get a fresh start with GDS for BBCF.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #81
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Just "advise" Arlie to get cracking on a Pro Football sister-game to BBCF. Break out those whips and chains that I hear are popular in Arizona.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #82
Emiliano
College Prospect

Farrah: good luck for everything you want to do. And please, suggest Arlie to do a pro football game in the future...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #83
hoosiergoody
Mascot

Best wishes. How long before the forums close? Love some of the dynasty posts there, especially AZTarheel's Steve Victory...
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #84
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Yoga pants and tank, jacket, tennies and a ponytail.

And spit up from Baby Rahn's dinner.

work it, sister.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM   #85
Aardvark
Mascot

Quote:
In general, it depends on how parties involve wish to devide the game. Some businesses prefer to look at a whole product, others divide games up in to pieces.

I'm not going to get any more specific about this situation other than to say I retain the rights to the code.

So as a wild speculation there could be further products based on that code base, such as "Police Athletic League Recreational Basketball", or something like that. (Hey, if EA thinks that, of all things, a college baseball game will sell...)
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:39 PM   #86
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

/pour 40 ounce
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:14 PM   #87
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Just "advise" Arlie to get cracking on a Pro Football sister-game to BBCF. Break out those whips and chains that I hear are popular in Arizona.
Whips and chains? Where in Arizona is this, and I mean I'll need directions...

Arlie's not thinking too much about a pro-game at the moment. He seems focused on making sure people are pleased with BBCF.

Edit to add - at least he hasn't discussed it with me. I'm sure he has with Jason W. (wheels).

Last edited by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn : 12-15-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #88
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergoody
Best wishes. How long before the forums close? Love some of the dynasty posts there, especially AZTarheel's Steve Victory...
End of January they'll be shut down.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #89
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark
So as a wild speculation there could be further products based on that code base, such as "Police Athletic League Recreational Basketball", or something like that. (Hey, if EA thinks that, of all things, a college baseball game will sell...)
Yes, it is wild speculation. It's going to be California Penal Athletic League Basketball.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:19 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone needs to make a church league softball sim.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #91
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, it is wild speculation. It's going to be California Penal Athletic League Basketball.

Heh heh.

She said penal.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:50 PM   #92
hoosiergoody
Mascot

they won't turn it into a church league softball game- it wasn't created to handle profanity and the like that comes with that ! (unfortunately that is often the case w/ those leagues. not always. just remember seeing more fights there than in the city leagues).

Sad to see .400 end the way it did, but glad that you can now move on. If only we all could have the approach of these situations being learning opportunities...
hoosiergoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #93
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

Farrah -

What type of services will FWR Financial Services offer? (I am assuming Tax services and bookkeeping)

Although not a big tax person, I am a CPA, who is part of three LLC's and works for one of the evil 4 firms. If you ever need to bounce a question off anyone, feel free to PM me
Old 12-15-2005, 03:06 PM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
must be something about Red Wings fans. Other than HB, they're all pretty easy to rile up.

WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT ME, YOU A$$H*LE!!!?!?11!?1!?! I BET YOU WOULDN'T SAY IT TO MY FACE!!1!!1

As to the thread, glad to see you are able to put this behind you Farah. Seems like, despite how painful it was, you've come out the other side all the better. Good luck!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #95
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Farrah, if you need to bounce yourself off anyone, feel free to PM me.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

You bastards need to quit trying to cut in on my action...

Old 12-15-2005, 03:10 PM   #97
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

WHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU SAYING ABOUT ME, YOU A$$H*LE!!!?!?11!?1!?! I BET YOU WOULDN'T SAY IT TO MY FACE!!1!!1

As to the thread, glad to see you are able to put this behind you Farah. Seems like, despite how painful it was, you've come out the other side all the better. Good luck!

Dude, stop trying to steal my role.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #98
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
You bastards need to quit trying to cut in on my action...

Haha, I'm going to sneak in there while you're watching the G-Mac Bowl. How the hell did that guy get his own bowl game anyway??
Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #99
st.cronin
General Manager

If Kodos really wanted to cause trouble, his next 'hot or not' thread would be about Farrah.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:19 PM   #100
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Haha, I'm going to sneak in there while you're watching the G-Mac Bowl. How the hell did that guy get his own bowl game anyway??

I'll beat your ass all the way back to New Orleans if I catch you, you no good so and so!