Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #5201
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good times: son just asked which Harry Turtledove novel in the bookcase he should try as an introduction. I went with "Guns of the South", figuring a stand alone book was a better start than any of the long series.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #5202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good times: son just asked which Harry Turtledove novel in the bookcase he should try as an introduction. I went with "Guns of the South", figuring a stand alone book was a better start than any of the long series.

Thank you for that piece of knowledge. I was looking to read something by him and wasn't sure where to start because I'm looking for a one off and not something too long or involved.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #5203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Thank you for that piece of knowledge. I was looking to read something by him and wasn't sure where to start because I'm looking for a one off and not something too long or involved.

Well he doesn't really do short very often, and this is relatively long (400+ pages of nearly mouse type in the paperback edition I've got).

Almost instantly I questioned my own recommendation, wondering if I should have gone with In the Presence of Mine Enemies instead. Germany wins WWII but years later a respected police officer has a deep dark secret. Guns is more Turtledove's style in terms of characters I think but Enemies is an easier introduction to alternate history in general.

For your purposes, I wonder if Departures might be a good fit. It's a collection of alt. history short stories that cover a lot of different eras & are early Turtledove but the style is clearly there.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #5204
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't, nor will I ever, get the fascination people have with the beach.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #5205
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

This. I'm totally not a beach person...although now that I'm not a fatass I can at least like...stand it.

Going to be in Santa Monica next weekend and don't even think I'll bring a bathing suit...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #5206
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Are we talking about swimming beach or "sitting in the sun being seen" beach?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #5207
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Is she at least hot?

Well, when the rumors supposedly were around..she was a 7. Now? Maybe a 5. Age isn't being kind...
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #5208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Are we talking about swimming beach or "sitting in the sun being seen" beach?

SI

yes
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM   #5209
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- just to elaborate

There is just nothing appealing. Hot sand, salt water, tons of people, its hot as hell, you have to put on greasy sunscreen, there are birds everywhere, stepping on seaweed and shells, etc...

I mean, seriously, where is the enjoyment in all of that?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #5210
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

double dola- I am not a fat ass, getting into a bathing suit is the most tolerable part of it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #5211
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

WM3 released from prison tomorrow.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #5212
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This. I'm totally not a beach person...although now that I'm not a fatass I can at least like...stand it.

Going to be in Santa Monica next weekend and don't even think I'll bring a bathing suit...

Eat at Typhoon out at the Santa Monica airport...Asian Fusion...amazing food...one of the best places to eat in the area...
Old 08-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #5213
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Eat at Typhoon out at the Santa Monica airport...Asian Fusion...amazing food...one of the best places to eat in the area...

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:21 PM   #5214
Suicane75
Coordinator

How can you not love the beach? It's like the worlds biggest swimming pool surrounded by games, rides and food. Plus it's like being in a giant club where all the women are already in their underwear.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 PM   #5215
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I bet Rick Perry would have had enough balls to execute them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #5216
RainMaker
General Manager

I like listening to Peter Cetera sometimes and I don't care how gay that may sound.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #5217
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Been reading some funny stuff about Groupon.

Don't Mean To Be Alarmist, But Groupon Is Running Low On Cash

Anyways, seems as if they have a JB Magical type approach to their buisiness model.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #5218
Izulde
Head Coach

boobs nigga boobs i'm too lay to find drunk thread lol

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 AM   #5219
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
boobs nigga boobs i'm too lay to find drunk thread lol

Finally, someone on this board is making some sense. Also, when I read this, I distinctly heard it in the style of 'Rumpshaker'. "boobs nigga boobs and a boom boom (in the drunk thread)!" {sax riff}

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-19-2011 at 04:16 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #5220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gotta bitch, after banging my head against a brick wall of stupidity at my son's school, the "business development" office of all places. (That qualifies as "random" for the purpose of this thread I believe)

Long story short, worked out something with one of my client's that got a nearly a dozen schools access to a piece of the client's marketing budget (as opposed to the charity/community budget), including my son's.

Instead of the usual tickets + print ads + sponsorship mentions on webcasts, we wanted (from a marketing standpoint) only the webcast spots. That's where there was some bang for the buck, which was the prerequisite for taking this budget away from traditional media. Our school's normal cost for webcast spots $350 higher than the sponsorship package that doesn't include it ($1,350 vs $1,000) My offer was $720 for just the webcast spots ... and these fucking idiots turned it down since they couldn't "deviate from the proscribed packages". There's literally hundreds of spots of unsold inventory that they waste each year (happy to sell it mind you but only as part of a "package" that hasn't been updated in nearly a decade).

Meanwhile, of the 10 (mostly public) schools we contacted offering new money:
2 had no problem, relatively easy transactions frankly
3 failed to return multiple phone calls, messages, over several months
1 had suspended their sponsorship program while reorganizing the boosters
3 had great conversations and repeatedly failed to follow up w/info, forms
and
1 was too damned dumb to take free money

In short, about $12k was earmarked & approved, we managed to spend less than $2,500 of it. In all the cases but the one I described, there was nothing new involved, we simply wanted to buy one of their existing packages (or get info about those, all of which have them).

What started out as a nice idea turned into one of the most frustrating professional experiences of my life.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #5221
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have no idea why, but I love pictures of stock traders that newspapers and websites use when talking about the stock market rising or falling. I am not sure what it is, but they always make me smile.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #5222
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I have no idea why, but I love pictures of stock traders that newspapers and websites use when talking about the stock market rising or falling. I am not sure what it is, but they always make me smile.

For me, it's the headless fat people that are used in news broadcasts. Bonus if they're holding a hamburger or ice cream cone.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #5223
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Woot....apparently the staff at my college are on strike.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #5224
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

wasn't familiar with the case and read up on it a bit today. holy cow.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #5225
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Well, when the rumors supposedly were around..she was a 7. Now? Maybe a 5. Age isn't being kind...

Oh. Bummer. If she was a 9 or 10, I'd make peoples heads spin by just telling them it's none of their business.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #5226
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm with you on this as well. There's zero (other than hot chicks in as skimpy of a bikini as legally possible) that is appealing about the beach. Way too crowded, traffic sucks, the people usually suck, it smells (I hate the smell of salt water), and I'm tired of that sheriff always yelling at people to get out of the water.

Now a lake, different story.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #5227
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm tired of people trying to act like they're better than everyone else. Note to everyone: You're not better than I am. So you're not better than everyone else. You're probably not even better than my cousin Tanya. Learn your place.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #5228
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm tired of people trying to act like they're better than everyone else. Note to everyone: You're not better than I am. So you're not better than everyone else. You're probably not even better than my cousin Tanya. Learn your place.

"Those of you who think you know everything are really starting to annoy those of us who do."

Saw that on a sticker in a teacher's lounge in high school and have loved it ever since.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #5229
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I'm with you on this as well. There's zero (other than hot chicks in as skimpy of a bikini as legally possible) that is appealing about the beach. Way too crowded, traffic sucks, the people usually suck, it smells (I hate the smell of salt water), and I'm tired of that sheriff always yelling at people to get out of the water.

Now a lake, different story.

Lakes freak me the hell out. There are dead bodies in each and every one of them...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #5230
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Lakes freak me the hell out. There are dead bodies in each and every one of them...

I'd stay away from lakes that have names like Crystal or Wanawhupah or whatever they are called back east.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #5231
JeeberD
General Manager

Shoot...I live just a few miles from a decent sized lake, and after every summer holiday there are news stories about someone who disappeared while swimming or boating and how they're having to bring in divers to search for them. I know they don't find them all...they're just down there, waiting for me.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #5232
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The recent stories about the brain-eating amoebas from warm rivers/lakes has freaked me out. Even if there's only been 36 known instances of it in the past 30 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #5233
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The recent stories about the brain-eating amoebas from warm rivers/lakes has freaked me out. Even if there's only been 36 known instances of it in the past 30 years.

It's the zombie plague, moving slowly....
Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #5234
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend the ocean either. Thousands of people there, restrooms rarely used.....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #5235
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Shoot...I live just a few miles from a decent sized lake, and after every summer holiday there are news stories about someone who disappeared while swimming or boating and how they're having to bring in divers to search for them. I know they don't find them all...they're just down there, waiting for me.

What is that nibbling at your feet?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #5236
gstelmack
Pro Starter

12 Things You Should Stop Buying Now | Moneyland | 9. Lottery Tickets | TIME.com

So my odds of dying by meteor strike are 1-in-700,000. So, of the, say, 300 million or so in this country, 428 of us will die from a meteor strike? Really?

Ah, a little research shows: Death by meteorite | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

And the 1-in-700,000 is based on the odds that some large strike will eventually kill a huge chunk of us at one time.

I hate statistics.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #5237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I somehow managed to put my boxers on not only backwards this morning, but also inside-out.

Rare form.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #5238
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
12 Things You Should Stop Buying Now | Moneyland | 9. Lottery Tickets | TIME.com

So my odds of dying by meteor strike are 1-in-700,000. So, of the, say, 300 million or so in this country, 428 of us will die from a meteor strike? Really?

Ah, a little research shows: Death by meteorite | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

And the 1-in-700,000 is based on the odds that some large strike will eventually kill a huge chunk of us at one time.

I hate statistics.

I feel a lot better now.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #5239
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
My hands smell really funny and I can't figure out why.

The use of the word 'really' has stood out to me the past few days whenever I open this page. Like, at what point did your hands go from smelling funny to smelling really funny? And what constitutes the difference? Is it the unknown?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #5240
JeeberDMack
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I wouldn't recommend the ocean either. Thousands of people there, restrooms rarely used.....

In the ocean the sharks eat them all. At least that's what I tell myself when I'm at the beach...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #5241
Suicane75
Coordinator

Haha, eat my ocean poop.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #5242
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The use of the word 'really' has stood out to me the past few days whenever I open this page. Like, at what point did your hands go from smelling funny to smelling really funny? And what constitutes the difference? Is it the unknown?

I think it's the unknown. I've put my hands in all sorts of weird places, but it smelled REALLY funny. Like a mixture of rubber, crab, fired caps, unkempt crotch and dog biscuits. And something else I just couldn't figure out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #5243
JediKooter
Coordinator

Not to mention what gets tossed out by the cruise ships and whale butts.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #5244
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So apparently the town (about 5,000 people) that's just north of the one where I live has a prostitution problem. On one road, for $20, you can get pretty much whatever you want. For S&G I drove down the road on the way home from work one day because I didn't believe it. Saw 3 women try to stare me down (thank god for door locks). All I can say is wow...at the fact that it's in a small rural town. Not at the quality of the women.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #5245
JediKooter
Coordinator

I was going to ask if their hands smelled really funny, but, you said you locked your doors.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #5246
bob
College Starter

I'm not sure if the WM3 committed those murders or not, but the "resolution" of this case seems icky to me.

Either they committed them and got off because of poor police work and the DA's desire to save money / face by not going back to trial, or they didn't commit them but still had to take a guilty plea in order to ensure their freedom but also to ensure that they could not sue the state for wrongful imprisonment (or whatever you can sue for in this type of case - not sure that's the right term).

Either way, both sides can spin this however they want. The one thing I do know is that I don't feel like I know the truth any more than I did when I first heard about this case years ago.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #5247
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I just spent 200 dollars on a keyboard and a mouse. Impulse for the win!
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #5248
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
I was going to ask if their hands smelled really funny, but, you said you locked your doors.

Ha! I'm sure they would produce a really funny smell.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #5249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
... but the "resolution" of this case seems icky to me.
... The one thing I do know is that I don't feel like I know the truth any more than I did when I first heard about this case years ago.

QFT
Old 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #5250
britrock88
Pro Starter

The WM3 probably wanted out more than anything else, didn't care about a lawsuit, and took this as the quickest way to get there. Else, they'd have waited until November for the hearing to determine whether there would be a new trial, waited weeks to get that decision, then potentially sat through the period prosecutors would have to contemplate re-trying these guys, and potentially another trial (at which they could conceivably be convicted again, to take the word of their Alford pleas).

The Alford plea is akin to a good trade in that both sides get something out of the situation while still being left wanting. You just hate the lives the WM3 have lost (if they're in fact innocent -- don't know the case, won't form an opinion).

Last edited by britrock88 : 08-19-2011 at 09:59 PM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote