Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #351
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Goodell will probably not smile on that show of stupidity....Brandon tht sound you hear is money being sucked from your checking account.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #352
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This game was over earlier, but now its super offical

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #353
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have people over and am 3 sheets to the wind, can someone explain to me what the fuck happened to Jacobs helmet.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #354
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have people over and am 3 sheets to the wind, can someone explain to me what the fuck happened to Jacobs helmet.

He got mad because he sucks. He meant to throw his helmet at the bench and instead threw it into the stands. The fan who caught it didn't want to give it up until the cops showed up to get it.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #355
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
He got mad because he sucks. He meant to throw his helmet at the bench and instead threw it into the stands. The fan who caught it didn't want to give it up until the cops showed up to get it.

moron
Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #356
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes he is. Frankly if he threw it into the stands he ought to have been ejected and the fan should be allowed to keep it.

And we all know you have no friends and yer just drunk as hell because its the only way to avoid the deep depression based on Eli's utter ineptitude tonight
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #357
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I DO HAVE FRIENDS!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #358
Swaggs
Coordinator

who more accurate tonight?

eli with football or jacobs with helmet?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #359
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kind of a broad question, but how close is Peyton to being the best NFL player ever?

I'm sure there are tons of lists, but I have always considered Montana the best ever, with Rice and Jim Brown

I still think Peyton is two Super Bowls away from joining that group and possibly topping it.

Who do you guys have at the top or in the top 3 or 4?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #360
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I think Moore just saw his last NFL carry...
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #361
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Who do you guys have at the top or in the top 3 or 4?

My vote is for Jim Brown for being in The Running Man
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #362
RedKingGold
College Starter

Manning deserved to win tonight.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #363
sabotai
General Manager

Jacobs has always been hot headed. I'm always worried that he's going to do stupid shit like that. Yeah, he meant to throw it at the bench but he shouldn't be doing childish shit like that anyway.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #365
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Lawrence Taylor has to be up there.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #366
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I just have to wonder if Peyton will win another MVP. He certainly has the passing stats so far.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #367
RendeR
Coordinator

BEcause of the huge difference in what each position does and how each position impacts the game you really can't pick a single best "player" ever, you can list the best at each position, but how do you possibly relegate them one against the other?

For the best QB ever? its Peyton Manning, pretty much hands down. His ability to play the position combined with his savant-like ability to read a defense and call the right play to counter it is steps above anyone I've ever studied or watched first hand.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #368
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

IMO Brady has done a lot more with a lot less than Peyton. I love Peyton and he is a great field general, but Brady is better in my book.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #370
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I also think you need to judge each era based upon his peers. The only way to judge Manning is to compare him to Brady, Brees, Rivers, etc.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #371
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Let's see how they do when defenses are allowed to touch them and WRs aren't given carte blanche to run completely unencumbered everywhere on the field. They may be as good as some of the true greats, but guys like Unitas and even Montana had to play in a much tougher league to pass in where QBs were expected to run the whole show.

Very true
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #372
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I think the only people really in the conversation for best player ever are Brown, Rice, Montana and Taylor. I also think that Taylor is probably the lowest of the four. If Jim Brown had stayed at it for a few more years, I think he's hands down your #1, but as is...I'd probably go Rice, Brown, Montana, Taylor if you held a gun to my head.

I think RendeR makes a good point though - it is really, really hard to compare players across positions...especially so since the game is so dependent upon the team around each player and the era they played in. While no one will argue that Montana and Rice were two of the best players of all time, they also had arguably the greatest supporting cast any two players ever had, and one of the best football minds ever behind them. That helped them TREMENDOUSLY.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #373
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh, and I'd like to see Manning finish his career before I start considering him. He's easily the best player of this generation, and I think probably already deserving of being mentioned in the conversation, but I think he needs more under his belt before being considered even for best QB, let alone best ever regardless of position.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #374
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

And for the double dola...

Also, remember that I am a die hard Niner fan who grew up watching Montana and company. I am probably showing a little bit of my red-and-gold tinted glasses, though I think I do have a pretty legit case.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #375
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Greatest of All Time
QB Joe Montana/Peyton Manning/Tom Brady
RB Walter Payton/Jim Brown/Barry Sanders
WR Jerry Rice
OL Anthony Munoz/Art Shell
DE Reggie White
LB Lawrence Taylor/Dick Butkus/Ray Lewis
DB Ronnie Lott

Its really hard to determine the best of All Time. Maybe Rice because is all time stats are so much better than any other WR.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #376
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
IMO Brady has done a lot more with a lot less than Peyton. I love Peyton and he is a great field general, but Brady is better in my book.

I think the opposite is true. Barring the last couple years, Brady has always had a far superior defense. Offensively, overall they have probably had fairly equal talent though Moss is the best WR either of them have had. I also think Peyton makes the receivers around him look better than they are and they would not have the same success on other teams.

Last edited by Danny : 09-20-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 AM   #377
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Even if you hate how coaches do that, since Shanahan is the one who started it, you gotta like that.

Heh...I was wondering if anyone would remember that. I have many, many reasons to intensely dislike Shanahan, and that was just one more strong point of evidence when he started that 2-3 years ago (whenever it was).

While I absolutely hate that happening, it's lol funny it happening to that shitbag Shanahan. I feel sorry for Skins fans, though--should have happened while he was in Denver.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #378
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That game really had to be Lathum's worst nightmare. Eli looks like garbage, as does Brandon Jacob. Plus there's now a prototype how to beat the Giants. Then again, it's not like normal teams can generate that much pressure.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #379
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
IMO Brady has done a lot more with a lot less than Peyton.

I would disagree. Without looking at the stats I would make an offhand comment that the worst Pats era Brady defense was on par with the best Manning era Colts defense.

And for all the Harrison/Wayne talk that Manning had, what about Moss/Welker? The best that can be said is that Manning had the better supporting cast on O most of the time(since Harrison retired/Moss arrived in NE I would say that it goes to Brady) and that the best supporting D nearly all of the time has to go to Brady.

If we need further proof we can look at how the Pats faired without Brady and how the Colts have done without Manning. The Pats were 11-5 in 2008 without Brady. If the Colts went 5-11 without Manning I would be absolutely floored.

Last edited by dubb93 : 09-20-2010 at 08:32 AM.
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #380
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Great win for the Jets, Pats have some work to do. Amazed at all the Chicken Little-ing going on here in town, but that's Boston for you.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #381
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
If we need further proof we can look at how the Pats faired without Brady and how the Colts have done without Manning. The Pats were 11-5 in 2008 without Brady. If the Colts went 5-11 without Manning I would be absolutely floored.

I think this brings up another point in that Peyton has never missed a single start and has only missed part of a game due to injury just once (his replacement fumbled the hand-off to the RB costing the Colts the game IIRC).

His durability is just another feather in Peyton's cap.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #382
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Definitely a fair point - Brady should get dinged for the weakness of his ACL.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #383
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Great win for the Jets, Pats have some work to do. Amazed at all the Chicken Little-ing going on here in town, but that's Boston for you.
really impressed with sanchez. dude took a lot of shit from a lot of people and went out and had a great game.

also, that moss td catch was redonkulous.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #384
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That game really had to be Lathum's worst nightmare. Eli looks like garbage, as does Brandon Jacob. Plus there's now a prototype how to beat the Giants. Then again, it's not like normal teams can generate that much pressure.

I expected it.

Eli didn't look great but the Colts knew he had to throw every play after getting down early. If the Giants could have scored to end the half and gotten the ball to start the second they would have been right back in the game, but Eli gets sacked and it's all over. Then on the fumble return for a TD I have no idea why coughlin didn't challenge there. The INT was an ill advised throw but took a freak bounce.

Overall I expected to lose and lose badly. Look at the betting thread, I bet on the Colts. I know I incite extra hatred for the Giants and people like to give me a hard time about it, which is fine, but there isn't a team in the NFL that wins that game last night.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #385
Galaril
Pro Starter

Geez, not to be tick-tacky but this was vicious from the Steelers- Titans game early on in the game. I have no idea how this wasn't a roughing the passer call unless pile driving someones neck into the turf is allowed?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-...ack-11-yd-loss

Last edited by Galaril : 09-20-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #386
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Everyone saying Brady has Moss/ Welker, etc....he hasn't won a superbowl with them. When Brady was leading them to superbowl he had no other great skill players on offense with him. That IMO puts him ahead of Peyton.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #387
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Corey Dillon was a very good back. Not a HOFer, but I don't think the Pats win without him.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #388
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

That's 1 out of 3 SB. Don't think you can say the same for Antowain Smith.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 09-20-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM   #389
bhlloy
Coordinator

There's ill advised throws and then there's heaves downfield to a triple covered receiver who is probably 5'10 in streetclothes. Eli's getting into Rex Grossman territory with that throw. Yeah, it was an unlucky bounce (thought Smith played that one as well as he possibly could if he was trying to catch it) but there's really only one thing that is going to happen when you make that throw.

Also trying to think what should have been challenged about the fumble, seemed pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I am misremembering?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #390
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Eli for HOF!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #391
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There's ill advised throws and then there's heaves downfield to a triple covered receiver who is probably 5'10 in streetclothes. Eli's getting into Rex Grossman territory with that throw. Yeah, it was an unlucky bounce (thought Smith played that one as well as he possibly could if he was trying to catch it) but there's really only one thing that is going to happen when you make that throw.

Also trying to think what should have been challenged about the fumble, seemed pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I am misremembering?

I'm probably misremembering TBH. It seemed to me his arm was close enough to coming forward to at least challenge.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #392
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Eli for HOF!

Nothing more pathetic in sports than a fan who takes more joy in someone elses team losing than his own team winning...
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #393
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nothing more pathetic in sports than a fan who takes more joy in someone elses team losing than his own team winning...

Actually there is, a blind homer who extoles the virtues of his favorite player and makes excuses for him when things don't go right. Those darn bad bounces...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #394
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm probably misremembering TBH. It seemed to me his arm was close enough to coming forward to at least challenge.

Ah yeah, you are right for some reason I was thinking of Brady's fumble from earlier in the day. The announcers said that it was a definite fumble under the current rules but in real time I said to my wife that one should be coming back. When the game is that out of hand and you are trying to get anything going you might as well challenge it and hope the ref sees something. Big time white flag thrown up by Coughlin, but maybe he knows something about the rule I don't.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #396
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Any greatest QB discussion without Unitas and Graham isn't a discussion of the best of all time.

Agree.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #397
bhlloy
Coordinator

We can argue about Brady vs Manning and who had the better supporting cast ad-infinitum. I think in general Manning has had a clear edge in skill players (Harrison, Wayne, Edge) but the Pats have an edge on defense and o-line. Either way, they are both ridiculous QB's and clearly the 2 best of their era.

For me, the one red flag for Brady is the success that Cassell had in the same system when Brady was out. For a guy who is clearly in the bottom 10% of NFL starters to come in and the offense not to miss much of a beat makes me think that just maybe Brady is a little more a product of the system than Peyton is. Not that he's not a great QB under any standard, but it does make you wonder.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #398
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Actually there is, a blind homer who extoles the virtues of his favorite player and makes excuses for him when things don't go right. Those darn bad bounces...

At least I talk about MY team and make some form of argument that can be discussed by adults who have something to say other than well thought out intelligent statement like "he is crap"
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #399
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Geez, not to be tick-tacky but this was vicious from the Steelers- Titans game early on in the game. I have no idea how this wasn't a roughing the passer call unless pile driving someones neck into the turf is allowed?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-...ack-11-yd-loss

I guess they were supposed to be like "excuse me sir, we're going to place you on the ground?" Yeah, that one looked ugly, I agree. Next time don't let 3 rabid animals meet up at the QB.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
We can argue about Brady vs Manning and who had the better supporting cast ad-infinitum. I think in general Manning has had a clear edge in skill players (Harrison, Wayne, Edge) but the Pats have an edge on defense and o-line. Either way, they are both ridiculous QB's and clearly the 2 best of their era.

For me, the one red flag for Brady is the success that Cassell had in the same system when Brady was out. For a guy who is clearly in the bottom 10% of NFL starters to come in and the offense not to miss much of a beat makes me think that just maybe Brady is a little more a product of the system than Peyton is. Not that he's not a great QB under any standard, but it does make you wonder.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote