Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #301
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks everyone...

Molson.. I enjoyed that.. and who knows.. anything is possible.

When the end was near last night, we had hawks circling our house, it was something I've never seen in over 8 years living here.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #302
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks DT.. such a lovable dog and full of life.. then BAM one day just starts having seizures. Crazy... went on for a year and a half and our vet said in some cases you just can't keep them controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Our golden had the same thing. He was a great dog. Sorry for the loss.

My parents got me a golden when I was 2. Grew up with it. When I was in 5th grade it had a grand mal seizure in the middle of the night and my dad drove it in and had it put down without even waking me up to say goodbye. I'm 33 years old now and that still makes me cry thinking about it. In fact...I'm getting wet eyes here at my desk right now.

So loveable, but they can have a lot of medical problems due to the inbreeding I guess.

RIP Benny.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #303
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
My parents got me a golden when I was 2. Grew up with it. When I was in 5th grade it had a grand mal seizure in the middle of the night and my dad drove it in and had it put down without even waking me up to say goodbye. I'm 33 years old now and that still makes me cry thinking about it. In fact...I'm getting wet eyes here at my desk right now.

So loveable, but they can have a lot of medical problems due to the inbreeding I guess.

RIP Benny.

Wow.. that's horrible.

Seizures are such a crazy condition because it's just try this and that to see if they can be controlled. Benny was so drugged up that he couldn't live his life like a dog should. He gained a ton of weight and we even cut his food in half.

I never want to go through that again and my wife said we could go pick out a new Benny and I just can't do it for the fear of what we just went through for a year and a half.

He was such a great dog and one day out of the blue he had 9 seizures and we rushed him to the hospital and from that day on his whole life changed in the blink of an eye.

He was such a trooper though, never letting anyone know he was struggling to keep up with his condition. I'm still fighting the thought of, "was it the right time?" and still feel the agony of putting him down yesterday.

Makes me feel really old too.. and knowing that eventually we all have to go and see our maker. Puts life into a perspective for me and makes me love the time we had with him even more.

I miss him very much... I had a dream last night that this whole ordeal was a dream in itself and Benny was still around.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #304
McLovin
Mascot

Sorry to hear MizzouRah. Losing a pet is such a tough thing to go through. This site may help. They also have an online candle ceremony on Monday nights at 10.

Grief Support - Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #305
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Sorry to hear MizzouRah. Losing a pet is such a tough thing to go through. This site may help. They also have an online candle ceremony on Monday nights at 10.

Grief Support - Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #306
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

RIP Benny.

This can be a tough call for a parent or husband\wife. I had a Springer, Mandy, that became sick at 18 months. Best dog one could ever ask for. We were a young family, 2 kids boy in 6th grade girl in 2nd, struggling a bit financially. We spent over $600 we couldn't afford trying to figure out what was wrong and though the vet never said it I know he was donating his time trying to help us, only billing for supplies and lab work he sent to Iowa State. After a couple of weeks determined acute pancreaitis (sp?) and it could go away as fast as it came and we tried different diets and meds to try to help her.

One day she acts totally normal. Eats like a horse, playful, prancing around and showing off we are thrilled and hope we have turned the corner. Few days later son calls me at work and tells me Mandy is laying at the bottom of the basement steps and is crying. I come home and see her laying there with a puddle or runny poop next to her. She pooped laying there on her side in too much pain to do otherwise. She looks at me and in her eyes is not pain but I can see she is ashamed of having an accident in the house. I picked her up and told her it was alright and carried her to my van hoping the vet could do something. He said the way it returned it would just be chronic and we had done all we could. I asked if he could control the pain til my wife could get there to say goodbye and I could go get the kids to do the same? He said we could do that but there wasn't much he could do and she would still be in some pain until they got there. I decided to let her go and he let me hold her as he gave her the shot. Mandy left this world looking into my eyes and I tell myself it was a look of thanks and know I did the right thing. 16 years ago and it still leaves me crying like a baby.

At first my wife was upset I didn't wait for her to say goodbye. After hearing what had happened she agreed what I did was the best thing for Mandy. I would like to think your dad was thinking of your dog first and just doing what he thought was best in a terrible situation.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #307
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Love this one of Benny and our daughter.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #308
General Mike
Pro Starter

Sorry again MizzouRah. Not sure what else to say, but at least he's not in pain anymore.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #309
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Sorry again MizzouRah. Not sure what else to say, but at least he's not in pain anymore.

The post was enough.. thank you.

When I came home tonight from work, he usually was under the trampoline waiting on me and then would jump up and run to the fence barking his hello's. Broke down right there in the driveway.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #310
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm so sorry, MizzouRah. My girlfriend's family had to put their six year old Golden down suddenly earlier this year too. They're fantastic dogs. I'm so sorry.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #311
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I tend to stay out of this thread as much as I can manage, simply makes me a lot sadder than I'm willing to deal with.

My sincerest condolences MizzouRah, my heart goes out to you & your family.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #312
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very sad Samifan.. thank you and thank you Jon.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #313
SegRat
High School Varsity

I hate when this thread gets bumped.

Sorry MizzouRah
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #314
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Yeah. This thread is getting bumped WAY too much. Chase looked like a fat version of my lab. Benny was about the same age as my dog.

Sorry guys... Know how you feel. My old dog had to be put down 7 years ago. I wasn't even there. Had a feeling the last time I saw him that it would be the last time.

Just a rough thread every time.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #315
lungs
Pro Rookie

Sorry to bump this again, but my cow dog died today. She was 12 years old. One of my employees thought he ran her over as she was under his truck. I think she just went under there and died. Kind of an odd death. She'd been having some foamy substance coming out of her mouth lately. This afternoon she came and got her afternoon treat and then went and laid under the truck and died. No sign of trauma on her so it wasn't from getting run over.

She was a good dog. Not the greatest cow dog because she wasn't trained but she was always following me around when I was working the cows.

RIP Laddie
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #316
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

So sorry for your loss lungs
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #317
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #318
BYU 14
Coordinator

So sorry for your loss Lungs

Hate this thread.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #319
General Mike
Pro Starter

Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #320
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #321
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sorry to hear...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #322
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Sorry to hear about your loss

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #323
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I hate this thread and it makes me sad every time it gets bumped, but now its my turn. Later today the vet is going to come bye to put OLI to sleep (thank god shell make house calls). OLI has led a full and long life, hes at least 16, with the last 10 in my care. Hes been the best cat/companion I ever could have hoped for, when I went through a bout of depression he was the anchor the held me firm, so I can say I owe him my life. Hes had 2 bouts with cancer, and at some point one of them metastasized on his lungs, and he cant breath well anymore, its so sad seeing eating wipe him out, he doesnt have the energy to walk from one end of the bed to the other. The silver lining is it was SUPER fast, 3 weeks ago, it looked like his appetite was flagging, so I took him to the vet. Im not sure if hes suffering/ suffered, but it hasnt been for long.

he will be so missed.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #324
path12
Coordinator

Sorry about that clap. Sounds like Oli had a good run though.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #325
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for your loss clap
Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #326
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sorry for your loss buddy, OLI sounds like he had a great life and you made his life as good as he made yours.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #327
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Im glad I started digging the grave about 2 hours ago. I break down every couple min, and we have very shitty soil.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #328
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Im glad I started digging the grave about 2 hours ago. I break down every couple min, and we have very shitty soil.

We dug holes for our first two dogs that passed away. For our last one, Benny.. I couldn't do it. We went with cremation for him. It's tough.. I just can't dig graves anymore.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #329
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
We dug holes for our first two dogs that passed away. For our last one, Benny.. I couldn't do it. We went with cremation for him. It's tough.. I just can't dig graves anymore.

Im planting a Japanese Maple right over his grave, so it has to be extra deep... but well always know where he is.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #330
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Im planting a Japanese Maple right over his grave, so it has to be extra deep... but well always know where he is.

My wife planted something over our two labs.. can't remember what they are called, but they are beautiful.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #331
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

its done, Tree planted in the front yard... now the grieving.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #332
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dang, can't even imagine your emotions right now, hang in there friend and again, so sorry for your loss.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #333
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sorry Clap. I know how important OLI was to you. I hope you take some solace that he was loved up until the very end and had you right there with him.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #334
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Best of luck to you Claphamsa. Great idea planting the tree.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #335
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Sorry for your loss Claphasma.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #336
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I put a pic on Facebook... not technological enough to do so here...(of the tree)

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #337
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Claps tree

Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #338
Izulde
Head Coach

Great idea for the tree, and sorry for your loss.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #339
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Claps tree

OLIs tree

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #340
General Mike
Pro Starter

So sorry Clap
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #341
corbes
College Benchwarmer

My thoughts are with you. Here's to those steady companions who have seen us through so many changes in our own lives.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #342
Kodos
Resident Alien

We had to put Charlie to sleep this morning. He was an old cat (17 or so - we weren't his original owners), but it's still hard to lose him after more than a decade together. Like a lot of old cats, kidney failure finally did him in. He'd been hanging in there okay even a month or two ago, but in the past week or two, he stopped eating very much. This morning he weighed just 10 pounds, down from 21 or so at his peak. We gave him a good life, and he was much loved. I hope my 4-year old daughter will be okay. She loves the cats so much. I'll miss the big lug something fierce. Great kitty. Rest in peace, old friend. There's been a lot of tears today and last night.

Here he is with his best buddy, Raoul, who died three years ago. Poor Charlie had been lonely ever since. We tried to get another cat for him to buddy up with, but they never hit it off.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-19-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #343
Radii
Head Coach

Dammit, sorry to hear that Kodos I hate seeing this thread updated so much. Off to find my cat and give him a hug.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #344
Castlerock
High School Varsity

So sorry Kodos
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #345
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

sorry for your loss

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #346
McLovin
Mascot

Sorry for your loss Kodos. Charlie looked liked a really cool cat.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #347
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

sorry for your loss Kodos..

We put our 17 1/2 year old Siamese cat to sleep just about a week ago. That cat was older than our oldest daughter and my wife had just got her a week before we met.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #348
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Boo
Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #349
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Awww man...sorry Kodos.

Condolences.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-19-2013 at 12:57 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #350
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Sorry guys...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote