Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2023, 09:44 PM   #351
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Now, I'm no conspiracy theorist, but doesn't an article like this scream "leaked to make everyone go back to the old saw that "the only use for crypto is terrorist, so we need to restrict it?"

Now, I think it should be restricted, sure, but this seems a bit heavy.
Old 06-17-2023, 05:35 AM   #352
Hammer
College Prospect

I certainly believe there needs to be further regulation. Most projects out there are a drain on the space, scammy and pointless. There is hacking going on, it's true. No idea who by. I notice the U.S. media is pretty horrific in the way they tend to come with the good guy/bad guy angle. They seem to love to stir up hatred in the population. The coverage I see of China in particular makes me cringe.

Gary Gensler understands the space inside out. He is some sort of government stooge at this point. He is saying what he is told that much is clear. He knows better. It makes him look like a fraud as there is so much material out there with his real opinions.

But the general media are clueless. Sadly they are ones spreading incorrect information that educates the population. They parrott what they hear and the misinformation spreads like a virus.

During this part of the cycle Bitcoin dominance tends to rise. This means it gains against the wider space whether it goes up or down. So risks outside of Bitcoin don't need to be taken at this point. Once Bitcoin dominance is super high, buying other projects with a small amount of Bitcoin may be a risk some want to consider as the risk reward is a different proposition.

I will say my prediction of a $20-$26k range over the next 3-4 months is something I feel less comfortable with now. Blackrock made a Bitcoin ETF application. I have my suspicions they are as thick and thieves with the government. Many have been turned down, I am not sure this one will be. The anticipation provides buying pressure. If this is approved price will explode to the upside. Typically this takes months for a decision.

One other thing I learned in the week. The U.S. government has around 200k Bitcoin. Around the same as China. Russia are also buying. There will only ever be around 14 million Bitcoin as much of the 21 million is lost. People who bought it early didn't look after it as they didn't realise what it would become. Only around 400k people, companies or corporations will ever own more than 1 Bitcoin. To me it seems some nations don't want their population to have any Bitcoin, yet want it as a government.

Last edited by Hammer : 06-17-2023 at 05:39 AM.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:14 AM   #353
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
An article this morning on what next for Celsius & Voyager customers. Essentially, a long and frustrating grind, likely ending up with very much less than what they hope for.

On one hand I feel bad for some because they were misled (e.g. Voyager saying they can weather the storm) but on the other hand, they must have known this was very risky and there were no guarantees.

... and the rest of the story (so far)

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/13/form...ettlement.html
Quote:
Former Celsius CEO Alex Mashinsky was arrested by federal law enforcement Thursday, a source familiar with the matter told CNBC, as federal regulators announced his bankrupt crypto exchange Celsius would pay a $4.7 billion fine.

Federal prosecutors charged Mashinsky with securities, commodities, and wire fraud, as well as various securities manipulation and fraud charges. If convicted, Mashinsky and a co-defendant, Roni Cohen-Pavon, face decades in prison.

The settlement, announced by the FTC, will not be paid until the company is able to return what remains of customer assets in bankruptcy proceedings.

The concurrent SEC proceedings are against Mashinsky and Celsius, and allege that Mashinsky misled investors and fraudulently manipulated the price of Celsius’ exchange token, CEL.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:01 PM   #354
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know if he really did what he was accused of doing, but yeah, make up whatever evidence you need and toss him in jail.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/28/sam-...utors-say.html
Quote:
Federal prosecutors asked a judge to revoke FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried’s bail in a Manhattan court filing Friday, claiming that the billionaire had violated the terms of the release and repeatedly tampered with witnesses.

“What the defendant may not do, and what he has now done repeatedly, is seek to corruptly influence witnesses and interfere with a fair trial through attempted public harassment and shaming,” prosecutors wrote.

If granted, the order from U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan would return Bankman-Fried to jail, months after his extradition from the Bahamas and ahead of his expected October trial. Bankman-Fried, whose crypto company sank into bankruptcy last year, faces multiple fraud and money laundering charges over his role in the implosion of the multibillion-dollar exchange.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:26 AM   #355
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Umm, what?
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:55 AM   #356
Edward64
Head Coach

Dry humor
Old 08-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #357
Hammer
College Prospect

What amuses me is SBF sent over $70 million as political donations in the U.S.. We now know they were customer funds. No sign of those illegally sent donations being reimbursed to said customers.

Factor in the insider trading in politics. That is effectively stealing from the general public by using inside knowledge to beat the market

The lies and misdirection of this current administration is something to behold. I don't know if its true, but I recall hearing they were forcing you guys to get vaccinated or else you would lose your jobs. I heard on a podcast even now students have to be jabbed to go on campus. Hiding the risks of the vaccines from you guys...

Don't get me wrong I had mine, but at least it was an informed decision knowing the risks.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #358
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

gotta love crypto bros
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #359
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I heard on a podcast even now students have to be jabbed to go on campus. Hiding the risks of the vaccines from you guys...

Don't get me wrong I had mine, but at least it was an informed decision knowing the risks.

This
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:06 PM   #360
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What were the risks from the vaccines that they were hiding?
Old 08-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #361
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Remind us how you actually lean left again.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #362
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Man you're going to be shocked at all the vaccines required for college students to step on campus.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:10 AM   #363
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Remind us how you actually lean left again.

You know UK left is a lot different I have learned. Your left is way more left, and right is way more right. Hence the division in your country

Almost getting to the point that there are 3 sets of people in the U.S. The wokists, Trumpers and the normies. I guess I would be a normie in the U.S. But left in the U.K.

Seems totally impossible to have a balance conversation with the woke or Trumpers. Most in those groups have the same opinions about everything. You know one you know them all.

Having played FOF for 20 years I can say it wasn't like this 20 years ago. It is like some crazy cult brain washing out of a movie. Team a vs team b. Of course the majority in the U.S. are still normal people but those triggered fringe loonies are surely going to cause a lot of drama before and after this 2024 election. A modern day civil war. Just this time it doesn't seem so obvious who is right and wrong.

Last edited by Hammer : 08-05-2023 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:48 AM   #364
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The lies and misdirection of this current administration is something to behold.
Honestly, I feel that I call out Joe when I think he's done something wrong but I wouldn't call them "lies". I do think there are "misdirection" but not anymore than what any administration would do.

However, your "something to behold" implies you think he does both more than Trump? If this is your belief, I just have to say that you are incorrect. Trump far outranks Joe and any other recent President.

See list & rationale from WaPo database below. Yes, you can claim WaPo is partisan and some of the 30K+ are questionable/open to interpretation, but at the end of the day, the list speaks for itself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...line_manual_11

Quote:
I don't know if its true, but I recall hearing they were forcing you guys to get vaccinated or else you would lose your jobs. I heard on a podcast even now students have to be jabbed to go on campus.

The US government eventually required their employees to get vaccinated (including military). I can't remember of any State workers required (or at least not in Georgia e.g. my wife was a public school teacher).

There were some commercial companies (private & public) that also required vaccinations but far from all.

I don't know if there is an accurate %, but I'm going to use the 80-20 rule and say maybe 20% of all workers were "required" to get vaccinated. It definitely wasn't as authoritarian as I inferred from your statement.

Quote:
Hiding the risks of the vaccines from you guys...
I'm on record saying if my wife/daughter were pregnant, I would not want them to be an early adopter. At the time, I called out a statement on CDC website that said it was safe for pregnancy. I did this because in the same website, there was wording about studies still ongoing on pregnancy & vaccination.

I think in retrospect, we can also say the risks to the young population (especially when compared to the older folks) was overstated. So not hiding the risks, but overstating them.

But your statement about "hiding the risks of the vaccines" is so overarching that it requires you to substantiate it.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:33 AM   #365
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My job required people to get the vaccine and about 4 or 5 people left. Only one wasn't openly a political thing - a woman who was more about "clean living" and probably had a history of being anti-vaxx than it starting because of Covid. But in a 50 person office where the majority of people were over 60, I don't blame our management for making it a requirement. And of course, this was back when the first vaccine came out, not later on. Most people were already vaccinated so it wasn't much of a requirement.

As far as risks of the vaccine, what's happened is that the right flipped the script and equated any side effect or % of adverse reactions as a failure of the vaccine when in fact, ALL vaccines have risks and side effects. And then of course they flat out lied about "hundreds of athletes dying across the world" (the Stockton BS that Ive heard my parents talk about dozens of times), using unrelated video of people collapsing as "proof." I'm shocked the Hank Gathers video didn't get included...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:53 AM   #366
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Having played FOF for 20 years I can say it wasn't like this 20 years ago. It is like some crazy cult brain washing out of a movie. Team a vs team b. Of course the majority in the U.S. are still normal people but those triggered fringe loonies are surely going to cause a lot of drama before and after this 2024 election. A modern day civil war. Just this time it doesn't seem so obvious who is right and wrong.

You couldn't be more wrong.

First off. I will acknowledge there are far left fringe people but not nearly in the numbers equaling MAGA, not even close. Majority on the left couldn't care less about trans in sports, etc...and certainly aren't having boat parades with Joe Biden flags flying everywhere,

This division is 100% on Trump and the GOP that has enabled him. He made this divisive rhetoric acceptable for 4 years and a major chunk of the GOP went along. Those that aren't openly MAGA are complicit because they go along with it. Anything you hear from virtually all of the left is in response to MAGA and the hatred that comes with it.

Trump is a criminal and is being treated as such. Anything else from the GOP is white noise. Most of them know it and would be done with him if it didn't mean complete destruction of their political career.

Those on the left want him gone because he is dangerous and bad for the country. We aren't on some crusade. We aren't the ones in a cult. Until you see millions of us wearing Biden T-shirts and waving flags you can say we're brainwashed, until then GTFO with your trash opinion.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-05-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:14 AM   #367
HerRealName
College Prospect

When you say woke I just assume you want to say the n-slur or the f-slur instead.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #368
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
When you say woke I just assume you want to say the n-slur or the f-slur instead.
That's a pretty good rule of thumb.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #369
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Everything Hammer posts makes me think he/she/they/it are posting from a different part of the multiverse.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:48 AM   #370
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It is insane to me that anyone would try and break this down into a team A vs Team B thing. It is more like Russia-Ukraine. Democracy is under attack by MAGA and the GOP and the rest of us are trying to defend it.

Anyone who doesn't see it this way is either part of the MAGA movement or heavily influenced by right leaning media.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 04:32 PM   #371
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sam Bankman-Fried is sent to jail over alleged witness tampering | CNN Business

I wonder how the wi-fi in prison is.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:51 PM   #372
Kodos
Resident Alien

You definitely want to use a VPN in jail.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 05:14 PM   #373
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Glad to hear. I assume it'll be a fancy prison though.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:09 PM   #374
Radii
Head Coach

Has Binance blocked USD withdrawls? My bank info is no longer there. I withdrew about 60% of what I had on July 17th, only b/c I had a max withdrawl per day amount (lol??), and I spaced out and forgot to pull the rest out and just logged in today and it looks like I cannot..
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:47 PM   #375
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news for Bitcoin

Quote:
The price of bitcoin surged Tuesday after the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit ruled that the Securities and Exchange Commission was wrong to deny crypto investment giant Grayscale permission to convert its popular bitcoin trust into an ETF.

Bitcoin jumped about 7.5% following the ruling to $27,911.67, according to Coin Metrics. The move lifted cryptocurrencies broadly as well as crypto equities higher.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #376
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sam Bankman-Fried convicted in fraud and conspiracy trial, faces 110 years in prison

What's the over/under on how many years he'll be sentenced to?

I'm guessing 25 years.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-02-2023 at 07:38 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #377
Edward64
Head Coach

That was quick.

Hope he doesn't get Club Fed.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #378
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hope he doesn't get Club Fed.

These give a sense of the sorts of things BOP looks at when making that determination.

He has a lot in his favor--no criminal history, no history of violence, etc.

The main driver for him will be sentence length. And his relative youth hurts him as well.

And this is also just guidance; it can always be overridden in either direction regardless of his score.

https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5100_008.pdf

https://www.bop.gov/policy/forms/BP_A0338.pdf
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 07:01 AM   #379
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

Also one of the least surprising verdicts in a while. He continued to give interviews about his crime when he knew he was being investigated.

They let him stay out because he kept giving them evidence. They finally arrested him in early December, and I honestly believe it was because they wanted to not have to deal with it over Christmas, and he had given them so much stuff that he literally could not incriminate himself any more.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-03-2023 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:16 AM   #380
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks. Good to see there is a methodology/process.

Looking through the form, seems like he would score "low" in those categories except possibly for "Severity of Current Offense (Appendix A)".

I looked at Appendix A (pg 97) and looks like it'll be "Moderate Severity" for

Quote:
Property Offenses - over $250,000, includes theft, fraud, tax evasion,
forgery, currency offenses

How is the "scoring" done? Prosecution only, Judge only or a combination?
Old 11-03-2023, 07:20 AM   #381
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

Also one of the least surprising verdicts in a while. He continued to give interviews about his crime when he knew he was being investigated.

They let him stay out because he kept giving them evidence. They finally arrested him in early December, and I honestly believe it was because they wanted to not have to deal with it over Christmas, and he had given them so much stuff that he literally could not incriminate himself any more.

Including trying to intimidate a witness (aka former girlfriend).

Hubris.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:24 AM   #382
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It is done by Bureau of Prisons.

The judge can recommend a placement, but it is not binding. Though I find that in practice it is generally followed.

And there are certain things (like placement within a reasonable distance from your home) that the law also requires BOP to consider.

But the law in this area is very careful to give BOP final discretion to make the decisions so it can minimize things like overcrowding or make sure that certain inmates with a history aren't put together (prevent gang fights, etc.)

And his case is high profile enough that he will likely get special treatment one way or the other.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:26 AM   #383
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: Like Bernie Madoff ended up in a medium, which was because of the seriousness of his crime but was also (IMO) because they didn't want to get the bad press of putting him in a Club Fed.

So SBF might get that treatment as well, at least until we've all forgotten about him.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:57 PM   #384
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

All hubris. He is the classic crypto-bro. They just know they are smarter than anyone else, and he was positive he could outthink the civil servants who were prosecuting him.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #385
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola: Like Bernie Madoff ended up in a medium, which was because of the seriousness of his crime but was also (IMO) because they didn't want to get the bad press of putting him in a Club Fed.

So SBF might get that treatment as well, at least until we've all forgotten about him.

I think length of sentence helps determine if you get sent to club fed or not. They are generally minimum security and the longer your sentence the more you are deemed a flight risk.

He could probably apply to get transferred to one when he has 5 years or so left on his sentence.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:13 PM   #386
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Also one of the least surprising verdicts in a while.

I suspect they did a straw poll, realized everyone thought he was guilty on all counts, but delayed doing the final certification because they wanted to have dinner first. Which is very fair.

Quote:
He continued to give interviews about his crime when he knew he was being investigated.

Yeah, I love how the prosecution had receipts for everything.

"Do you recall saying 'XXXX'?"

"Not really."

"Here's you saying 'XXXX' on CNN."
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:11 PM   #387
Edward64
Head Coach

And there we have it ...

Going to have to buy some for the long term.

Quote:
SEC approves spot bitcoin ETFs for trade starting Thursday
Old 01-10-2024, 05:11 PM   #388
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Didn't the SEC come out and say that wasn't accurate?
Old 01-10-2024, 05:17 PM   #389
Edward64
Head Coach

That was yesterday. It’s real now.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:23 PM   #390
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, made my first foray into the new Bitcoin world.

Bought a little Fidelity FBTC and will add to it over the next several months. Expense ratio is like .25 so somewhat reasonable.

Fidelity popped up with a questionnaire on the type of investor I was. I had to select "most aggressive".
Old 01-11-2024, 01:12 PM   #391
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hammer-time!
Old 01-11-2024, 02:35 PM   #392
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

It's definitely too high for me to buy into right now. Maybe if it dips below $20k again and then I'll consider throwing some play money at it.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #393
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I lol every time this thread gets bumped
Old 01-11-2024, 02:51 PM   #394
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hammer-time!

Whatever happened to that guy?
Old 01-11-2024, 03:49 PM   #395
Kodos
Resident Alien

He seems to pop in and pop out.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:10 PM   #396
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Whatever happened to that guy?

Still alive and kicking. If things play out as expected I should be retired at 49 in 2025. Looking good so far. This thread is turning in to gold looking back. The cycle just seems to play out the same every time. The higher the price goes the more the fomo kicks in. The low price promote fear and opportunity for those who recognise it for what it is.
Congrats to those of you who ignored the masses and got in last Christmas. I have sold just enough to take back my initial stake now. As the fomo rises the more I will sell. Planning to be all out by Spring 2025.

I don't expect Bitcoin to do much for several months now, maybe 6 or so. It is up 3x now. Probably got another 2x in it, but I think the bulk of the move has played out now. Eth is play for the next month or two. The speculation for the ETH spot ETF. What Blackrock wants, Blackrock gets. 575-1.

Then next summer it is Alt season, and I am playing with house money. Can't wait.

Don't forget to wear your masks, that mind virus is dangerous.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:20 PM   #397
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
It's definitely too high for me to buy into right now. Maybe if it dips below $20k again and then I'll consider throwing some play money at it.

Classic. Thing is you wouldn't. Not that you will see that price unless a nuclear war breaks out. You had that chance. If Bitcoin went that low you would listen to the media and your echo chamber. Just like 99% did when the sub $20k prices arose. Very few have the conviction and confidence to jump in when the market is in meltdown. But that is exactly the moment you make real money.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:34 PM   #398
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

There are probably 100 new crypto scams each day. This one caught my attention recently:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/24/us/co...cec/index.html
Old 01-26-2024, 11:21 AM   #399
Swaggs
Coordinator

I understand how people are making (and losing) money off of this, but to me, it is still currency speculation and there is plenty of research as to how that typically plays out over time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote