Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #551
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The Wicker Man - 3/10

What a complete waste of time. That ending wasn't a shocker, it was just stupid. Seriously, I have not been this pissed about wasting time on a movie in a long time.

I'm guessing you are talking about the remake rather than the original?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #552
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Rocky Balboa: 4/10

It felt to me that Sly wanted to redo the original Rocky but this version is a mere shell of the first.

The Departed: 8/10

Very good movie. Actually thought DiCaprio was excellent in here and I'm not a fan of his.

Borat: 9/10

With all of the hype I thought that it would be disappointing, but I haven't laughed this hard since the bathroom scene in There's Something About Mary.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #553
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm guessing you are talking about the remake rather than the original?

Sorry, yes. Remake. Have not had the chance to see the original.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #554
korme
Go Reds

16 Blocks (2006) - 6.5/10. Not a bad movie. I think Mos Def is a good actor. Nothing too special but it wasn't bad for an action movie, which I watched on my buddies new 50" flatscreen with surround sound..wowow..
The Last Kiss (2006) - 3/10. If you like to watch people arguing, or enjoy it in any way, you might really like this movie. I didn't care for it.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #555
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
The Wicker Man - 3/10

What a complete waste of time. That ending wasn't a shocker, it was just stupid. Seriously, I have not been this pissed about wasting time on a movie in a long time.

Dude, I warned everyone about this on page 15:

"Wicker Man. Absolutely the Worst Movie of the Year if not the decade. Do not see this movie! Usually some movies have redeeming qualities, but not this one, just horrid. I laughed through a lot of the thriller/dramatic scenes. This felt like a bad B movie on TNT on Friday night at 1:00."

I just can't believe you even gave it a 3/10!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #556
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sleepers - 9/10
I hadn't watched this movie in several years. It is still outstanding. The story and the acting are top notch.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #557
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Beer League-4/10- predictable with bad acting. Some good one liners and gratuitous nudity save it a little
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #558
Bad-example
College Starter

Bubba Ho-Tep - 7/10 On Demand, free movies section.

Bruce Campbell as Elvis in an old folks home fighting an ancient mummy? This has cult classic written all over it. A very odd movie...campy fun worth a look if you are in the mood.

Last edited by Bad-example : 01-21-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #559
samifan24
Pro Starter

Cellular - 5.5/10 - Nothing special but a somewhat enjoyable way to spend an hour and a half. Kim Basinger doesn't have much to do while Jessica Biel looks great in a bit part and Jason Statham plays his usual character.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:46 PM   #560
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
The Last Kiss (2006) - 3/10. If you like to watch people arguing, or enjoy it in any way, you might really like this movie. I didn't care for it.

IT was a pretty boring movie, i probably would have given it 5/10 but just because you got to see that hot guy's butt and lots of boobs
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:22 AM   #561
korme
Go Reds

Poolhall Junkies (2002) - 4/10. I got excited to watch this movie because user reviews on IMDb were referencing Swingers and Snatch in comparison. Needless to say, I didn't feel that was the case. Christopher Walken and Chaz Palmienterri are supporting characters and easily the highlights of the movie. The reason I didn't like it because Mars Callahan, the writer/director, can't act worth a shit and is the lead role. I gave it a four and not lower because I understand it wasn't a big budget film.
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975) - 7/10. I thought it was a good movie, but I didn't think it was great. I guess I expected too much. Nicholson was great as usual.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #562
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

The Illusionist

6 of 10. Norton and Giawhateverhisname is are great. Predictable, but still a good time.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #563
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The Hustler (Paul Newman, 1961) 9.0
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #564
sabotai
General Manager

Accepted - 7/10
More than what I was expecting, but still not great. Worthy of a rental for Lewis Black alone.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #565
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
1941 - 6.5/10

I hadn't seen this movie in a while. A deeply flawed movie, but it has a ton of laugh out loud moments.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #566
miked
College Starter

Children of Men: 6/10, fairly decent movie but really strange. Didn't really like the ending as much, a lot left unexplained or cloudy (maybe some people's tastes). Pretty violent (not that I care as much) but really wasn't impressed all that much.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #567
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Saw 3: 7/10 - Probably the most gorey of the 3. Several watch with one eye closed moments.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-26-2007 at 12:55 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #568
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Saw 3: 7/10 - Probably the most gorey of the 3. Several watch with one eye closed moments.

We just bought it and I'm looking forward to watching it.

Kicking & Screaming - 7.8/10

Will Ferrell becomes coach of a losing kid's soccer team with the help of Mike Ditka as assistant coach. Mike Ditka made this movie, I LOLed several times. "I eat quitters and spit out their bones!"

Last edited by Lorena : 01-28-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #569
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
We just bought it and I'm looking forward to watching it.

Kicking & Screaming - 7.8/10

Will Ferrell becomes coach of a losing kid's soccer team with the help of Mike Ditka as assistant coach. Mike Ditka made this movie, I LOLed several times. "I eat quitters and spit out their bones!"

Don't eat spaghetti for dinner.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #570
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Don't eat spaghetti for dinner.

Uhh.... okay.

A Scanner Darkly - 8.2/10

This probably deserves a higher rating but I was so in awe of the animation that I forgot to pay attention to the story. An undercover cop gets involved with a highly addictive drug. Robert Downey Jr. and Woody Harrelson had some hilarious dialogue.

Last edited by Lorena : 01-29-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #571
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Youngblood 9/10- a classic from my youth. Great lines and action. acting is not so great but who cares, the story makes up for it. Other then slapshot the greatest hockey movie ever.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #572
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Children of Men

Well worth seeing. Clive Owen continues to be solid in everything I've seen him in (which isn't that much, i'll admit) and the direction was absolutely fantastic. They set the mood perfectly. I really don't want to spoil anything, so i wont discuss any more here. I will say i'm angry at the trailer for ruining 1-2 major things in my opinion. This movie would be better the less you know before going into it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #573
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Bubba Ho-Tep - 7/10 On Demand, free movies section.

Bruce Campbell as Elvis in an old folks home fighting an ancient mummy? This has cult classic written all over it.

i love this movie so much. those two sentences of yours say it all.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #574
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Pan's Labyrinth - 8.5/10

Billed as an "adult fairy tale". Set in Franco-era Spain, a young girl and her mother move in with their sadistic step-father, a captain in Franco's army. The young girl then lives out a classic fairy tale - not the Disney kind - the kind that includes monsters that eat children.

Very well made, very engaging, and very graphic. My wife (who is usually pretty tough) had to look away from the screen a number of times. The whole movie is in Spanish with English subtitles. Not a movie I would want to watch often, but well worth a single viewing.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #575
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Jackass 2 6/10 - I laughed hard for the last 30 minutes of the money, but the first hour was pretty PG rated. Not worth seeing twice

Gridiron Gang 8/10 - The Rock is an awesome actor and I loved that this was a true story, but it could have had a better ending.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #576
Easy Mac

Sherrybaby: 0.1/10 - Wow, thankfully, it was a quick 45 minutes, but even that was too much to bare. Only the 2nd movie I've rented that I've cut off before it finished (the Producers was the other). If I wanted to see Maggie Gyllenhaal nude, I'd watch my home movies.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #577
cartman
Death Herald

True Lies (8/10) - I hadn't seen this in a few years. It is still a great movie to watch. How come Tom Arnold hasn't been that funny in anything else he has ever done? He should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #578
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pride and Prejudice - 9/10: Ok, maybe I'm risking my man credentials here, but this was a superbly done film. Sure, had some chick flick cliches, but considering that the source material practically created the chick flick cliche, slack is given. Keira Knightly was absolutely wonderful as the main character and showed some very nice acting chops. Matthew MacFadyen stole every scene he was in as Mr. Darcy, well, when Dame Judi Dench wasn't (she always steals scenes; she can't help it). Seemed very accurate portrayal of the late 18th Century England as well, along with the class issues of the day (though obvious it couldn't go too deep into those things).
Old 02-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #579
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

King Kong (Jack Black) - 8/10: Can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch this movie. I really liked it though.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #580
Easy Mac

Children of Men - 9.5/10 - Excellent movie. It got the "twists" to the story out of the way early before you would have expected them, then just threw a straight thrill movie at you the rest of the way. The long shot during the final battle was astonishing.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #581
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Invincible: 9/10 - Absolutely loved it.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #582
Lorena
Unregistered

I've seen this movie so many times it's ridiculous; one of my all-time favorites:

Undercover Brother 9.2 / 10

Undercover Brother joins the Brotherhood to stop The Man from being successful in "Operation Whitewash". A comedic spin on blaxpoitation movies from the 70's.

Last edited by Lorena : 02-11-2007 at 02:17 PM. Reason: gramar
Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #583
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Little Children - Really not sure where I rest on this one. Did anyone else see it? It really had me hooked for quite a while and then honestly lost me in the final 1/2 hour. A number of the resolutions just didn't feel honest to the characters that had been developed.

I liked Kate Winslet (always, for that matter.. best actress of her generation IMHO) and Patrick Wilson is now 2-for-2 with me (Hard Candy being the other movie i've seen him in).

Worth watching, but I just think the script lets itself down in the end.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:28 AM   #584
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
I've seen this movie so many times it's ridiculous; one of my all-time favorites:

Undercover Brother 9.2 / 10

Undercover Brother joins the Brotherhood to stop The Man from being successful in "Operation Whitewash". A comedic spin on blaxpoitation movies from the 70's.

This came on on USA about six motnhs ago, and it was like a laugh my ass movie I had completely forgotten about come back to life. I was rolling (again) watching it. It's no great shakes overall, but it just has some hilarious scenes and lines.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #585
Green Caesar
n00b

The Illusionist (7.5/10) A little slow at the start then gets good ... a little "Usual Suspects" at the end.
Green Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #586
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Snakes on a Plane: 5/10 - Terrible movie. Without Samuel Jackson, I give this a 2/10.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #587
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hannibal Rising: 4/10. Wife wanted to see this so we went to a matinee for the start of our valentine's day celebrations. She thought it was very good. I thought it was below average to bad, and this score is upped a bit by her liking the movie. I thought it cast Hannibal in a very different light than any of the other movies and I didn't find it to be true to the character. Also, while she thought the actor did a very good job portraying a young Hannibal, I thought he was barely passable.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-14-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #588
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Nothin' says "I Love You" like seeing a movie about the origins of a crazed killer.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:14 PM   #589
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
Nothin' says "I Love You" like seeing a movie about the origins of a crazed killer.

She enjoys these types of movies much more than I do.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-14-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #590
Groundhog
Coordinator

I had a "Samurai DVD" nite on the weekend. I've seen the first two movies at least 10-15 times, but they never get old to me.

Kagemusha - 9.5/10

Each time I watch this movie I get something new out of it. It falls short of a perfect score merely because Kurosawa has done better films than this one, but by any other director this would be a 10.

Ran - 10/10

I can totally see how some folks would find this movie boring - the middle section when Lord Ichimonji loses his sanity in particular - but to me this film is perfection, and ranks as the best film Kurosawa ever made.

Kill! - 6.5/10

Another Nakadai film, but not by Kurosawa. Highly praised generally but I was dissapointed, largely because it builds up to a climax and then just ends without resolution. I know now this is because it was planned as a trilogy that was never completed, but it subtracts from the enjoyment of this film which is a shame.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #591
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Bandidas - 3/10 (9/10 if you are just watching it to see Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz roll around in mud and water for a while )

On the plane on the way home last week. It was a train wreck of a movie but watching Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz rolling around together for much of the movie made it work watching the whole thing.

A Beautiful Mind - 9/10

Also on the plane on the way home. I have watched it before and it is a good movie overall. I liked it more the first time I saw it as I did not know the background story and the way the movie played out became a surprise to me. Knowing how things turn out make it not quite as good as the first time around.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #592
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Hannibal Rising: 4/10. Wife wanted to see this so we went to a matinee for the start of our valentine's day celebrations. She thought it was very good. I thought it was below average to bad, and this score is upped a bit by her liking the movie. I thought it cast Hannibal in a very different light than any of the other movies and I didn't find it to be true to the character. Also, while she thought the actor did a very good job portraying a young Hannibal, I thought he was barely passable.

I had a one word review for that movie: Hannibullshit.

The guy next to me fell asleep 1/2 hour in.... and i was jealous.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #593
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Half Nelson - Ryan Gossling is the lead, and he has been nominated for best actor. He's great, and Shareeka Epps in very good in her first real role (well, she played the same character in the short film that the movie is based off).

It's a very good movie, definitely a unique take on the "teacher trying to actually make a difference" motif in the regard that there are no perfect characters and it's not paint-by-numbers.

Well worth seeing.

4 out of 5, definite thumbs up
edit: a small bonus for and fans of The Wire, the actors who play Donut and Michael in season 4 have minor roles.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-15-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #594
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I had a one word review for that movie: Hannibullshit.

The guy next to me fell asleep 1/2 hour in.... and i was jealous.

Are they going to stop making these stupid Hannibal sequels/prequels now? That's 3 by now right? The first was barely ok and that's about it.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #595
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The Devil Wears Prada - Combines two of my least favorite things: Chick Flicks and Fashion. If they had made it a musical, it'd possibly be my personal hell. Meryl Streep was nominated for Best Actress. She really was great as the characeter, but it was situation where she is CLEARLY not the lead in the film, so i take issue with the nomination.

I expected to hate it with a total passion, but it wasn't horrible. In fact I'm embarassed to admit I thought I would give it a positve review about 2/3 of the way through, but the ending was pretty high on the unbeleivable scale, so I'm just barely not recommending it.

Im watching for the people. I vowed to watch all the major nominees in order to do an Oscar Preview for my radio show, and goddamnit im doing it.

2.5 of 5 stars, thumb barely down
Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #596
korme
Go Reds

Something the Lord Made (2004) - 8/10. Based on a true story, Mos Def plays Vivien Thomas, who helped pioneer open heart surgery, dealing with blue baby syndrome. Great film that deals with segregation and spans 3 decades. would recommend it to anyone.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #597
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Pan's Labyrinth - 10/10: Yeah, it was that good. As stated before an "adult fairy tale", but definately not what I expected (in a good way). Lots of violent scenes, not just involving the fantasy stuff (it's like a Brothers Grimm type of tale), but also the Spanish (Francoist) troops.

Best foriegn film I've seen since Crouching Tiger, I think. Or Hero. There were a LOT of interesting questions raised by the movie. It was gorgeous with its special effects, had a great story, and also caused you to think a little. They don't make many movies on this side of the pond that much anymore.

And a GREAT ending.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #598
Easy Mac

The Science of Sleep - 2.7/10: As art for art's sake, yes, it was beautiful. But as a movie, it was just boring as hell.

Jesus Camp - 6.7/10: A funny movie. Scary, but funny.

The Departed - 8.6/10: Right there with Children of Men as the best movie of '06. Brilliantly acted and directed.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #599
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

The Departed - 8.6/10: Right there with Children of Men as the best movie of '06. Brilliantly acted and directed.

we just bought this move... looking forward to watching it
Old 02-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #600
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
... (Hard Candy being the other movie i've seen him in).

I'm thinking of renting Hard Candy ... is it any good?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote