Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trying the Ebbsfleet model (fan ownership) in amateur baseball

These guys have it all wrong, but I do know Torrington and the area, because I worked at a camp around that area. No one wants to pay money for an amateur team. They'd have been better off trying to get into a small minor league or something. That area isn't full of population and of the ones who are there, they don't wanna watch wood-bat college baseball from D3 and NAIA prospects.

Story
Quote:
The UK soccer club Ebbsfleet United tried a novel approach to resurrect the club. They sold shares that gave fans a voting portion of all club decisions. Not only did they make enough money to have the club be financially viable, the team had a bit of a resurrection on the field and almost got to the point where the success was being shunned by the local supporters who had followed the club and their middling success, or lack there of. over the years.

Could Ebbsfleet become a business model for success elsewhere? Thus far, the answer has been no. Probably more because of the economy than anything else, few have tried to find the initial cash and all the other pieces needed to launch such a venture, and the value of most teams in the United States, even at the minor league baseball and hockey level. is still well outside the realm of possibility for public, or fan owned properties. The minors are still much more business, with smart businesspeople and pretty well off owners (even in small towns), than mom and pop these days. However, enter into the mix the group of entrepreneurs in Connecticut, who have looked below the minors into the college wood bat league for an opportunity to give fans their due. The story was recently reported in the local edition of the New York Times, and tells the story of how four young men are taking that Ebbsfleet model, through the digital space and the grassroots to buy a team with fans making the business decisions and putting the team in Torrington, Connecticut. the group has built the site,

Our Baseball Heaven, as an homage to the fan, where for a small investment everyone can own the team…a fantasy sports comes to reality approach. Now the idea has its problems…there is limited commercial viability in the New England Collegiate Baseball League, the team and the town do not have the passionate club following of an English soccer team or even a minor league team that has long been a part of the community, and the town recently lost its minor league ties because of lack of support…but the overall idea remains intriguing.

Perhaps for the right people looking for a low cost investment in sports, it could work as a labor of love and a way to get on the job training. However for that you still need the capital to get started, and in this economy the explanation of buying some shares without seeing any or little chance or ROI with discretionary income is a stretch. However even if it doesn’t work this time, there is an upcoming time limit for submissions and the entries have not been what is hoped for, it does leave the door open for a larger business plan for another team, or maybe even an owner for the day concept, at some independent franchise.

They did get some press in the NY Times today, though:

Our Towns - In Torrington, Conn., a Plan for a Fan-Based Baseball Team - NYTimes.com

Here's their site: Our Baseball Haven

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Torrington Twisters were members of the NECBL for years until they folded a few years ago. I grew up right outside Torrington and yet I never knew they had a summer wooden bat league team until I actually worked for another team in the league.

I don't think the Ebbsfleet ownership model will work in this case. This isn't an independent minor league team this is a summer wooden bat league team. Less revenue to work with, no chance of name players (even ex-MLBers in Indy leagues have name recognition), etc. It's nice to see someone give it a try but I think something like this would be more successful for a full fledged independent minor league team with more name recognition. I know many baseball fans in New England that have never heard of the NECBL.