Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #26251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
People are generally capable of being mad at more than one thing.

How mad were people at the slush fund? Where transparency was fought for and then Mnuchin decided, nah, I'm not going to do that. Because I haven't heard much about that.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #26252
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think we're good enough here to do it without devolving into racism, but there is something to that Hispanic number and we're seeing the same thing in Charlotte. I don't know if part is the language barrier and messaging isn't getting through effectively to that community, I don't know if it's as simple as many first/second generation immigrants work lower paying jobs where they need to be present instead of ones they can work from home, and I think part might be tied up in the cultural (and economic) idea that you see a lot more multi-generational households just like you did in Spain & Italy. Though interestingly the surge in positive tests has been among younger Hispanic adults, and hasn't shown up in the fatality rates (though of the 194 deaths so far over half were tied to two nursing home outbreaks with predominantly white clientele.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #26253
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I think we're good enough here to do it without devolving into racism, but there is something to that Hispanic number and we're seeing the same thing in Charlotte. I don't know if part is the language barrier and messaging isn't getting through effectively to that community, I don't know if it's as simple as many first/second generation immigrants work lower paying jobs where they need to be present instead of ones they can work from home, and I think part might be tied up in the cultural (and economic) idea that you see a lot more multi-generational households just like you did in Spain & Italy. Though interestingly the surge in positive tests has been among younger Hispanic adults, and hasn't shown up in the fatality rates (though of the 194 deaths so far over half were tied to two nursing home outbreaks with predominantly white clientele.)

A few months ago, I was in line in front of a Hispanic woman at a bakery. And everyone in line was wearing masks and distancing. And the whole thing was so new that we were all talking about it.

And she said that when she was at "White places" like this bakery (her words), everyone was wearing masks. But at the Hispanic grocery store, she was the only one with a mask, and everyone kept asking her why and if she had Coronavirus. She said that everyone thought she was weird.

One random anecdote, so take it for what it is worth. But there might just be some deep cultural differences going on.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #26254
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Also because when people who are going to jobs and seeing people who are choosing to sit at home instead take home more money it's really not a good long term incentive or plan? It's not mutually exclusive to think that there is a ton of waste and bailouts going to big businesses and thinking that $30,000/year on top of what their state is paying is a lot for people who are single, without dependents, and were making about that much (or less) before this started?

Do you think people are choosing not to work? That there are an abundance of jobs that people are unwilling to fill?

Perhaps the anger for those with jobs that pay less should be with the companies that are paying them poverty wages. Or how the pandemic has been used to transfer wealth to the upper class.

The World’s 25 Richest Billionaires Have Gained Nearly $255 Billion In Just Two Months
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #26255
RainMaker
General Manager

$11 billion in the new GOP bill goes to defense contractors. Not for new weapons, but to cover the cost of paid leave their employees took. These are not little coffee shops, they are billion dollar defense contractors we are paying the bills for.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:31 PM   #26256
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
How mad were people at the slush fund? Where transparency was fought for and then Mnuchin decided, nah, I'm not going to do that. Because I haven't heard much about that.

You can't even get information on where the money went. Just trust them.

Here is nearly a billion dollar friendly loan going to Kodak. They aren't even ashamed of the handout, they are bragging on TV about giving it. No anger over this.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #26257
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

There is a rather large Hispanic population in a town where I own some commercial real estate. There is definitely something to the multi generational living, they literally live on top of each other. They are also very social by nature which likely doesn't help.

I actually love that community. Hard workers who by and large police themselves and just want to work hard and provide the best for their family. Getting to know them makes me angry about the narrative this administration perpetuates.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #26258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In addition to cultural factors, Hispanics tend to be poorer as a group than white folk. Meaning they tend to have jobs that require going in rather than working from home.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #26259
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
People are generally capable of being mad at more than one thing.

Overall, the bill is trying to address the workers/unemployed and big/small businesses. Valid discussions on the pros & cons, the amount of $ etc. but yeah, there are somethings in it that is not IMO appropriate.

100% deductible business meals?

Also the $1.75B for the FBI building? I don't know much about why (and it may very well be needed) but this is not the bill to try tack it to.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #26260
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The FBI wants to move, but Trump doesn't want any competition from whatever would buy the land after the FBI leaves.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #26261
RainMaker
General Manager

Why are we covering the paid leave for employees of billion dollar defense contractors?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #26262
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The FBI wants to move, but Trump doesn't want any competition from whatever would buy the land after the FBI leaves.

I saw that somewhere but honestly think its a stretch.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-28-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #26263
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Considering Mitch's response to being asked about it was "I dunno, you'll have to ask the White House. They insisted on it.", I'm not so sure it's a stretch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...ulus-congress/

But top Senate Republicans immediately began distancing themselves from the provision after it was made public, saying they weren’t sure why the White House repeatedly insisted on putting it in the bill.

In calling for a new “Washington, DC headquarters facility,” the provision reflects President Trump’s ongoing interest in building a new headquarters for the FBI downtown, rather than a secure campus in the suburbs that was envisioned before he took office.

At a news conference Monday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) initially denied that the FBI money was in the bill, but then was notified by reporters that the language was in fact included.

“You’ll have to ask them why they insisted that be included,” he told reporters, referring to the White House.

Asked Monday what a new FBI building had to do with the novel coronavirus, Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), a key negotiator of the stimulus package, paused and said, “Good question.”

When the White House first proposed inserting money on the FBI building in the legislation and conditioning it on keeping the headquarters in Washington, Republican lawmakers blocked it from being in the bill, people familiar with the discussions said. But White House officials persisted in demanding the money and it ended up back in the legislation.

So, it either comes from Trump, or someone toadying up to Trump.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-28-2020 at 08:59 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:09 PM   #26264
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I saw that somewhere but honestly think its a stretch.

Four years into this...the obvious answer is always the answer.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #26265
Edward64
Head Coach

I mentioned in the Netflix thread that I finished watching The Newsroom.

In the first season, the episodes were majority Dem talking points (many of them presented here). With Sorkin, that isn't a surprise.

However, in the last season the good guys struggled with social media and the lack of rigor in reporting news (e.g. having at least 2 sources to confirm) and how twitter-and-like was forcing them to compete and essentially compromising journalistic integrity.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #26266
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why are we covering the paid leave for employees of billion dollar defense contractors?

Weren't you all for paying people that aren't working?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-28-2020 at 09:48 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:54 PM   #26267
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And can someone tell me WTF this is about?

I feel like I should have a tin foil hat on but this isn't from Alex Jones as far as I know.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #26268
Atocep
Coordinator

You know people are totally planting the shit out of those seeds.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #26269
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I feel like I should have a tin foil hat on but this isn't from Alex Jones as far as I know.

Actually, I got my seeds from Sportsdigs.......two weeks ago.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #26270
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hydroxy may not crack the list of the top 100 terrible things Trump has done, but it sure as hell is the most cult-like of them all. I really can't believe how many MAGAs are still so invested in making everyone admit Trump knows more than the fancy doctors.

David Koresh would find this level of worship a little extreme.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #26271
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Hydroxy may not crack the list of the top 100 terrible things Trump has done, but it sure as hell is the most cult-like of them all. I really can't believe how many MAGAs are still so invested in making everyone admit Trump knows more than the fancy doctors.

David Koresh would find this level of worship a little extreme.

ZINC IS THE KEY. THIS STUDY DIDN'T USE ZINC IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE.

-Something I actually saw posted. They will not admit they're wrong.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #26272
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you think people are choosing not to work? That there are an abundance of jobs that people are unwilling to fill?

Perhaps the anger for those with jobs that pay less should be with the companies that are paying them poverty wages. Or how the pandemic has been used to transfer wealth to the upper class.

The World’s 25 Richest Billionaires Have Gained Nearly $255 Billion In Just Two Months
"An abundance" is subjective, but yes I know there are people choosing not to work because they are lazy, and yet there are also people (in their 20's, with no dependents) choosing not to work because it doesn't make economic sense for them. I've mentioned personal stories, multiple other people in this thread have talked about even their kids getting paid more not to work than to find a job, do you think it isn't happening?

I work at an Amazon facility. Base pay is $15/hour plus full benefits - which I don't think is poverty wages - but $15/hour for 40 hours a week is $600. I value having healthcare (and other long term benefits like a matching 401k) and I'm also not in that bucket, but it's a pretty good package for someone who doesn't have a college degree. If you could get the same $600/week, plus the $350/week the state will give you while doing absolutely nothing except claiming you looked for a job, that actually makes short term financial sense. It's close to $50,000/year, that's a lot for a single person with no dependents who doesn't live in NY/LA/Chicago, but sure keep telling me I'm making this up.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #26273
BishopMVP
Coordinator

For a second anecdotal point - but one I think speaks to the larger issue - Amazon is hiring thousands more workers at even my facility alone. And despite the fact that clearly the nationwide employment rate is lower, they've decided to stop drug testing and doing background checks on new employees. But yah, I'm sure all of those people who have seen restaurant and retail work disappear since March are actively looking for jobs!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #26274
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
"An abundance" is subjective, but yes I know there are people choosing not to work because they are lazy, and yet there are also people (in their 20's, with no dependents) choosing not to work because it doesn't make economic sense for them. I've mentioned personal stories, multiple other people in this thread have talked about even their kids getting paid more not to work than to find a job, do you think it isn't happening?

I work at an Amazon facility. Base pay is $15/hour plus full benefits - which I don't think is poverty wages - but $15/hour for 40 hours a week is $600. I value having healthcare (and other long term benefits like a matching 401k) and I'm also not in that bucket, but it's a pretty good package for someone who doesn't have a college degree. If you could get the same $600/week, plus the $350/week the state will give you while doing absolutely nothing except claiming you looked for a job, that actually makes short term financial sense. It's close to $50,000/year, that's a lot for a single person with no dependents who doesn't live in NY/LA/Chicago, but sure keep telling me I'm making this up.

We will find out in the next week or two as the $600/week has expired. If you and others believe there are a lot of jobs that can't be filled because people are lazy, we will see the unemployment rate drop dramatically now that they need to work.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #26275
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Weren't you all for paying people that aren't working?

They aren't unemployed. They're on paid leave from a defense contractor that rakes in billions in profit each year.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:24 PM   #26276
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
ZINC IS THE KEY. THIS STUDY DIDN'T USE ZINC IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE.

Not a single hill small enough that they won’t die on it when it comes to their king. It’s wild.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #26277
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
We will find out in the next week or two as the $600/week has expired. If you and others believe there are a lot of jobs that can't be filled because people are lazy, we will see the unemployment rate drop dramatically now that they need to work.
I don't think there are a ton of open jobs because losing that much retail & hospitality has created a void, but I know the quality of the employment pool will go up for the manufacturing and distribution centers. I already have close to a dozen employees (in what is supposed to be under a 100 person department) I'm staying in touch with about whether they want to stay on a LoA or officially come back. Keep moving the goalposts or ignoring the base fact that $30,000/year on top of state unemployment benefits has led to many (blue collar, and/or younger) people being paid more not to work than they had been paid previously, or would be paid if they re-entered the economy.

A UBI that is at the poverty level makes sense to me. A means tested cash infusion to all Americans makes sense to me. $28,800/year on top of state benefits to unemployed people, and $1,200 1/2x this year to people who are working seems like a pretty large imbalance, and one worth fixing going forward. YMMV.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #26278
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
For a second anecdotal point - but one I think speaks to the larger issue - Amazon is hiring thousands more workers at even my facility alone. And despite the fact that clearly the nationwide employment rate is lower, they've decided to stop drug testing and doing background checks on new employees. But yah, I'm sure all of those people who have seen restaurant and retail work disappear since March are actively looking for jobs!

It's not particularly a refutation of your particular point, but I think we can all agree that if Amazon would increase their base wage to $20/hr they wouldn't have any problems hiring in this environment and Jeff Bezos would still be the richest person in the universe (in fact his wealth has increased significantly during the pandemic, in line with the unemployment surge). Why isn't that the most acceptable solution?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-28-2020 at 11:45 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:23 AM   #26279
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It's not particularly a refutation of your particular point, but I think we can all agree that if Amazon would increase their base wage to $20/hr they wouldn't have any problems hiring in this environment and Jeff Bezos would still be the richest person in the universe (in fact his wealth has increased significantly during the pandemic, in line with the unemployment surge). Why isn't that the most acceptable solution?
Amazon put in a $15/hour minimum wage when states (including mine? really NC???) are as low as $7.25, it's higher in places with higher COLA (I've actually heard longer term employees tell me that's a trick - go to a place like New Jersey for 6 months, your base pay will go up $2/hour, then lock in and you'll still get it when you come back to NC), and for all the shit I give them they legitimately give full health benefits to you & your family from Day 1 as long as you opt in.

I don't carry water for them - I have big problems with Amazon based off them using TSA style COVID-prevention theater instead of trying to create a work environment where socially distancing is practicable. (And based off the horror stories from meatpacking places complaining to OSHA etc good luck fixing that ) And more pre-COVID about how they treat write ups or the power structure between Level 1 employees & managers. But base pay is not one of them, especially when health care is factored in. Maybe I'm just mean, but I don't think 40k/year + health care & benefits is a bad wage for a single person without a college degree.

Shoot, thinking about this I'm actually more curious how fast food places etc have kept employees this long - have they offered more? (Anecdotally I've definitely seen signs offering like $12/hour right away no questions asked, but I don't want to assume that's the norm.) Is it inertia/ignorance from employees? People actually having pride and preferring to work instead of take a handout?
Old 07-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #26280
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It is tough to figure with the differences in state/city wages & cost of living too. Like you say, a $15 wage is a pretty significant income to someone who could potentially be making $7.25/hour. Here in Portland the minimum wage is $13.25 within the metro area, which definitely colors my judgment.

Quote:
Shoot, thinking about this I'm actually more curious how fast food places etc have kept employees this long - have they offered more? (Anecdotally I've definitely seen signs offering like $12/hour right away no questions asked, but I don't want to assume that's the norm.) Is it inertia/ignorance from employees? People actually having pride and preferring to work instead of take a handout?

Well, even with covid-modifications as far as I know you still can't elect to quit, or get fired with cause, and collect unemployment, so I would assume most of the current fast food workers are long-timers, for better or worse.

...I will say that the few times I've gone into a fast food restaurant in the last five years I was shocked at how poor the service and just general cognitive abilities on display were. I vividly remember a manager sighing exasperatingly at an employee about how they can't continue to just stuff bills randomly into the cash drawer as another employee just gave up in the middle of counting my change and returned me more money than I had paid.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-29-2020 at 12:41 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:58 AM   #26281
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Would you believe, an attempt to destabilize american farms and crops?

WSDA AgBriefs: Agricultural smuggling - a threat to farms, gardens, and our ecosystem
Old 07-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #26282
BishopMVP
Coordinator

This is FOFC, we understand numbers, we think most people are rational actors - at least when it comes to their money - right? For whatever reason I'm thinking of Tropico (maybe it was the raise pay from $15/hour I'd usually pay better jobs but not elite ones like Doctors, to $20/hour that they'd cap you at during inflation!). $365/week (what some states pay for unemployment) is the equivalent of $9/hour if you work 40 hours. $600/week is $15/hour... if the proposal was to raise the minimum unemployment pay to $600/week even that would make some sense (though it'd be tight in big cities - I'm not sure if COLA is actually that high in Portland, but like you said if minimum wage is $13+ then $15 isn't a huge jump). But $600+$365 is $24/hour for doing nothing. How many hourly jobs in NC do you think are paying $24/hour? Isn't it obvious how this will wreak havoc with the non-college degree portion of the labor market if it's not temporary?

Fwiw idk if it was another Trump administration oversight, big companies like Amazon taking advantage of poorly worded government programs, or just people rubber stamping things in March & them slipping through the cracks since no one has an incentive to stop it, but those I know are all on Leaves of Absence - a couple for legitimate health risks to themselves or family members, but most just rubber stamped from the companies end since we won't pay the employee until they "come back". (And oh god, remember how I said I have about a dozen people in a 100 person department I talk to about coming back at some point - let's not talk about the 30 more who might not even be alive for all I know. But we don't care because we're not paying them and they're not accruing any time for long term benefits.) We all know unemployment offices have been swamped - I don't think they're digging deeply into whether applicants were fired or furloughed or quit or were laid off.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-29-2020 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #26283
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I saw this posted multiple times. Admittedly, I don't know the importance of it, but as an argument, even if it's wrong, it's better than "Believe Dr. Demon Semen!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #26284
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't want to believe Trump is compromised by Russia, but...

Old 07-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #26285
Flasch186
Coordinator

They must have video of him getting peed on. I mean he usually doesn't give a crap if something bad comes out about him because you know, what could rise to the level of shooting someone on 5th Ave? Well perhaps a Golden Shower is in that kind of category. It is the only known weapon against narcissism as you know. Urine that is.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #26286
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Isn't it obvious how this will wreak havoc with the non-college degree portion of the labor market if it's not temporary?

Well the whole point is that it is temporary due to the strangeness of this pandemic. Because even when businesses open up, business can be extremely slow. I support my local pizza place by buying a couple large pizzas every Monday. Pre-pandemic, Monday was a big day and place was packed. It's been, maaaybe 1/10 full since they reopened (and yes they have socially distanced dine in).

That with a number of businesses just going under and not just restaurants, but higher paying places.

Couple that with we want to encourage people to stay home as much as possible, so for some folks getting overpaid, that may be a benefit as they will be more likely to stay home.

How long is the Democratic bill trying to extend the extra unemployment benefits? A few months? This is an extraordinary situation.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #26287
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Because most people would rather work than sit at home and do nothing (esp during the pandemic there isn't much to do in a lot of places aside from sitting home and watching TV).

re: Amazon paying $15 an hour. IIRC, they did that very soon after Bernie Sanders started introducing bills against Amazon.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #26288
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rep. Gohmert tests positive.

Should be fun doing his contact tracing as he refused to wear a mask.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #26289
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm sure he'll cooperate with contact tracing, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM   #26290
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Because most people would rather work than sit at home and do nothing (esp during the pandemic there isn't much to do in a lot of places aside from sitting home and watching TV).

Yeah. I think that the default for most people is to work.

We don't question why, say, Mitt Romney keeps working even though he has enough money.

It's the same thing. People find satisfaction in work. Money is part of it, but not all of it.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #26291
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Trump is starting to notice that the proposed bill isn't that generous. And he's blaming Democrats for eliminating eviction protections and not providing enough money. All while the GOP is trying to make the bill even less generous.

Basically, Trump is the only elected GOP official in D.C. who isn't actively preparing for President Biden.

And here's where his utter incompetence will hurt him. If he really were Mr. Art of the Deal, he'd leverage the Dems against the Senate GOP (mostly behind the scenes) and get the sort of generous bill that would help him.

But he has no idea what he's doing. And anyone with any competence that would be around him to help him has long since been fired or left.

So he is at the mercy of McConnell, and McConnell is busy trying to wreck things to help the GOPs chances in 2022.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #26292
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #26293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Trump is starting to notice that the proposed bill isn't that generous. And he's blaming Democrats for eliminating eviction protections and not providing enough money. All while the GOP is trying to make the bill even less generous.

Basically, Trump is the only elected GOP official in D.C. who isn't actively preparing for President Biden.

And here's where his utter incompetence will hurt him. If he really were Mr. Art of the Deal, he'd leverage the Dems against the Senate GOP (mostly behind the scenes) and get the sort of generous bill that would help him.

But he has no idea what he's doing. And anyone with any competence that would be around him to help him has long since been fired or left.

So he is at the mercy of McConnell, and McConnell is busy trying to wreck things to help the GOPs chances in 2022.

Trump's still going to try everything he can to steal it, though.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/polit...kee/index.html

Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee would be three of the top spots on my list where is I suppress the vote enough, I might be able to eke out a win. Maybe add Pitt/Philly, Miami (tho Desantis can probably help deliver me a win), Charlotte, and Phoenix after these trial runs.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #26294
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And Gohmert stays 100% on brand by stating that if he hadn't worn a mask so much in the past 10 days, he probably wouldn't have gotten Covid.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #26295
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nothing epitomizes the US in 2020 like the guy I saw at Costco today with a branded Trump facemask work under his nose.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #26296
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Jake Sherman from Politico tweeted that after this was reported, one of his staff members contacted him and thanking him for letting people know Gohmert had tested positive said Gohmert requires full staff in the office including three interns to show how America how they could be an example of how to open up safely. And how many of them were berated for wearing masks."

To this point, I truly have not wanted any one from any country to get sick/get lifelong side effects/or die from this virus. But I've about reached my limit and beginning to think that it might be better for the world if we lose some of the most ignorant like Gohmert.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #26297
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dose that boy up with hydroxy, and lots of it.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:56 PM   #26298
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Not a single hill small enough that they won’t die on it when it comes to their king. It’s wild.

I think that it's the first crack in the armor, which is why they won't go there.

As soon as you admit that there is a place for science and expertise, you are opening the door to having all sorts of MAGA beliefs challenged. Better to just never ever listen to the other side.

Remember, these are people for whom the Slippery Slope is the highest form of rhetorical argument ("Oh, you're against racism? Well, did you know that racism is a thing? And puppies are also things. So if you are against racism, then you are against things, so you hate puppies.")

They really don't like taking any steps that they think would lead them to later change their beliefs.

[Note--I am talking here about the most MAGA among them. Not all Republicans and not even all Trump supporters].
Old 07-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #26299
Atocep
Coordinator

Rehashing what was discussed on here a few months ago, but pulling troops from Germany is so incredibly shortsighted. We're willfully giving up a major strategic advantage because Trump only understands money on the most basic level.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #26300
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why do we need those troops there?