Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

Battle Lines Drawn

Oh boy. My wife and just turned 10 year old daughter have drawn the lines in the sand. After reading Todds thread, I can only see their actions a almost manic. It is crazy. I would give examples, but there are too many to give. Basically, my daughter feels that my wife "yells" at Her ALL the time. Of course nothing my daughter does is wrong, in her eyes.
Any advice dealing with a mother and daughter that are exactly alike would be appreciated.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

Family counseling.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sounds a lot like a 10 year old trying to act beyond her age, but, that's hard to tell without some more context. Has your daughter been disciplined in any way due to her behavior?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not sure what to tell you, other than you aren't alone. I don't have the oil-and-water issue with my wife and daughter, though (at least not above and beyond the normal frictions).

Our oldest daughter will be 11 in August. She's a good kid - lazy and whiny, but hey, she's doing well in school and is generally responsible. The thing I'm having the hardest time dealing with about her behavior is reconciling the grown-up things she does with the outbursts of crying/throwing tantrums over stupid shit like what shoes she wears and if she has to take a shower. In the course of yesterday, she made lunches for herself and her sister for school without being asked, got a perfect score reciting the Gettysburg Address at school, practiced for the end of year talent show, and pitched a 4-inning shutout in a softball game that night...and yet she threw a tantrum about her shoes when we got home. It's like she turned into our 6-year old in the blink of an eye.

I know it's obviously the transition from kid to teen/adult, but it's maddening to deal with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Drake
assmaster

Do you feel like your wife yells at your daughter all the time?

I should have started figuring out things weren't right with my wife when I routinely felt like I had to be between her and our children to protect them from her anger. She wasn't ever really physically abusive, but she was vicious and screamy and angry all the time. When my wife was in the early stages of mania, she'd literally scream at our kids for 25-30 minutes over piddly little shit if I let her (and I heard horror stories about it, often from her, when I was at work during the day). Part of my wife's manic manifestation was that she simply couldn't rein in the rage, so doing something like screaming at them for 30 minutes for dropping ice cream on the carpet (when they were told they couldn't have ice cream anyway) seemed appropriate in her universe...until later, then she'd feel remorseful and apologetic and pull the whole "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that, ... but it wouldn't have happened if you had done what I told you in the first place" abuser's gambit.

What I'm saying here is that if your wife is acting like what I describe, then you need to intervene to protect your daughter from your wife.

If, in your observation, your wife is setting appropriate rules and responding to rule-breaking/discipline appropriately, then family counseling is a good route to follow.

Or you could just build a den and hide in there until the womenz sort it out.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm not sure what to tell you, other than you aren't alone. I don't have the oil-and-water issue with my wife and daughter, though (at least not above and beyond the normal frictions).

Our oldest daughter will be 11 in August. She's a good kid - lazy and whiny, but hey, she's doing well in school and is generally responsible. The thing I'm having the hardest time dealing with about her behavior is reconciling the grown-up things she does with the outbursts of crying/throwing tantrums over stupid shit like what shoes she wears and if she has to take a shower. In the course of yesterday, she made lunches for herself and her sister for school without being asked, got a perfect score reciting the Gettysburg Address at school, practiced for the end of year talent show, and pitched a 4-inning shutout in a softball game that night...and yet she threw a tantrum about her shoes when we got home. It's like she turned into our 6-year old in the blink of an eye.

I know it's obviously the transition from kid to teen/adult, but it's maddening to deal with.

Heh, from my perspective, that series of episodes is less representative of "child transitioning to adult" than simply "female".

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-28-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Any advice dealing with a mother and daughter that are exactly alike would be appreciated.

Either lock both of them in a room until they sort it out (in about 20 years) or lock yourself in a room for the same length of time + another 10-20 years (just to make sure).
Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

A good ole spanking and restriction usually put me in my place when I was a kid.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh, from my perspective, that series of episodes is less representative of "child transitioning to adult" than simply "female".

+1
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

AMEN
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

That's not manic. It's tough to explain to someone about a mania episode without them actually seeing it firsthand. It puts the kind of behaivor you describe to shame. It's as if people convert into an alter ego.

It sounds more like just a kid growing up. They tend to become little sociopaths at some point and she's testing her boundaries. The counseling option is probably a good idea if it gets too bad.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I don't know...we had to go a severe route with my 13 yr old lately...I would call it growing up...wait until she gets into the guys...and doesn't understand or chooses to ignore the "age" thing....especially when a guy chooses to ignore it...he meets dad and a bat...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, I was reading the other thread before I posted this. I havent seen an alter ego.

I guess I just dont get females. Hiding seems to be the best option.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

I teach 6th grade Physical Education at our Middle School. Last year was the group of boys that will be Seniors when my daughter is a Freshman.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
A good ole spanking and restriction usually put me in my place when I was a kid.

Yeah, not sure how that will go over with his wife. She might like the spanking, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, not sure how that will go over with his wife. She might like the spanking, though.

Hehe, exactly!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Guy I work with had problems with his pre-teen daughter throwing tantrums - literally kicking and screaming and throwing herself on the floor. He started videotaping her and making her watch it later. Said it cleared the problem up pretty quick.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
especially when a guy chooses to ignore it...he meets dad and a bat...

Riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of an old man with a bat?

Personally I found meeting the father while he happened to be cleaning a small arsenal of firearms to be an effective form of dissuasion.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

My good friend hung up his targets, from the previous day at the shooting range, on his front door before his daughters date arrived. I heard the date ended early.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My daughters just turned 16 - both she and her mom are HEADSTRONG to the nth degree.

They're both intelligent, opinionated and stubborn and each will try and get me onside to win an argument ... but I've learnt the hardway not to take sides and leave em to it - they're female they don't want an intelligent discussion or a logical conclusion, they want to bitch for a while so let em

PS - Haven't had the whole 'dating' thing come up yet - my daughters intent on being a psychiatrist and totally focussed on that at present ..... kinda nervous about when it does happen though, should be 'interesting' .... I unfortunately remember what I was like as a teenage boy.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote