Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #301
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Rick, you're a great Bruin. You're also an awful head coach. Bye-bye now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #302
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
he has 2

Didn't realize Georgia Tech fans were taking credit for PJ's 1-AA NCs at Georgia Southern.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #303
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
Didn't realize Georgia Tech fans were taking credit for PJ's 1-AA NCs at Georgia Southern.

Who's a GT fan? I especially hate Georgia Southern... but the statement was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77
Didn't realize PJ had any D1 NC's. I think by the real count is 0-0.

So, I think that's the reason I responded.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #304
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

AP poll is out ... LSU unanimous #1, Alabama unanimous #2
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #305
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

The only poll that has always mattered, imo.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #306
Suicane75
Coordinator

Bah, give VT or Houston a chance.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #307
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Heh. Brad Edwards is now predicting that even if the unfathomable happens in Atlanta, it's still looking like LSU-Alabama because LSU wouldn't drop far enough with a loss to a 10-win UGA team to knock them out of the title game.

LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide clear No. 1 and 2 in Associated Press Top 25 poll - ESPN
Old 11-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #308
cuervo72
Head Coach

Was wondering that.

Was also just wondering if LSU does beat Georgia as expected if they should even need to beat Alabama again. I know they will have to beat them again, but why should they?

(I realize that this doesn't jibe with any previous playoff calls I may have had)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-27-2011 at 01:10 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #309
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Was wondering that.

Was also just wondering if LSU does beat Georgia as expected if they should even need to beat Alabama again. I know they will have to beat them again, but why should they?

(I realize that this doesn't jibe with any previous playoff calls I may have had)
How do you even define "should" in this situation? Is it based on "right" being hte current rule set? Is it based on "right" being the rule set that you think should be in place? That I think should be in place?

But really, from the great majority of angles, yes, they should. Based on the current rules, yes, they should have to beat them again. You gotta win that last game to win it all. Based on how some think it should be--a playoff system--yes, they should have to beat them again. You'd have to win that last game to win it all. Unless there's an allowance in the rules for a committee to simply crown a clear-cut number one with them having to play a Bowl Game, then they should.

Now, I don't know the rules, but are the voters required to go with the winner of the final game as their #1? Specifically, what happens if Bama beats LSU by a FG in overtime??? Would voters be allowed to vote a tie for first, or is it a required winner-take-all?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #310
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's hard to put anyone ahead of LSU, even if they lose.

If they lose next week, it would have been to the SEC champion (and Georgia would probably jump into the top 6 or 8 then). They would have beaten the likely Pac 12 Champ in Oregon at a neutral site, the possible Big East champ in WVU on the road, the #2 (or #1) on the road in Alabama, and two other top 10 teams in Arkansas and South Carolina. There is just no way you can look at Stanford, VPI, Houston, or anyone else (with their wins and schedules) and put them ahead of a 1-loss LSU with wins over half the top 10.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #311
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Heh. Brad Edwards is now predicting that even if the unfathomable happens in Atlanta, it's still looking like LSU-Alabama because LSU wouldn't drop far enough with a loss to a 10-win UGA team to knock them out of the title game.

LSU Tigers, Alabama Crimson Tide clear No. 1 and 2 in Associated Press Top 25 poll - ESPN

So that would mean one less at-large team? Has that exception been spelled out in the "only two team per conference" rule? I think that would mean either Michigan or Stanford would get left out.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #312
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yep, If UGA wins then Michigan is likely left out of the BCS.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #313
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It's hard to put anyone ahead of LSU, even if they lose.

If they lose next week, it would have been to the SEC champion (and Georgia would probably jump into the top 6 or 8 then). They would have beaten the likely Pac 12 Champ in Oregon at a neutral site, the possible Big East champ in WVU on the road, the #2 (or #1) on the road in Alabama, and two other top 10 teams in Arkansas and South Carolina. There is just no way you can look at Stanford, VPI, Houston, or anyone else (with their wins and schedules) and put them ahead of a 1-loss LSU with wins over half the top 10.
Heh, ok then. Edwards didn't spell it out like that, but when you put it that way, it does seem to clear the way for a one-loss LSU. I suppose it's possible that one of the one-loss teams playing in a conf. championship wins 70-0 and leapfrogs Bama, or the late-season-loss bias hurts LSU in the human polls...

But really, 11 out of 12 games this year, UGA hasn't looked capable of staying within 3 TDs of LSU. It would require 6 or 8 guys to have the game of their life the same week for this to actually happen.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #314
Swaggs
Coordinator

Are the top 4 teams still guaranteed a spot in the BCS (aside from the multiple teams from the same conference stuff)? If so, Stanford is probably in decent shape to earn an auto bid. They were 6th last week and will presumably jump Arkansas this week and have a shot to move up if Virginia Tech loses to Clemson again or Oklahoma State loses to Oklahoma.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #315
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So that would mean one less at-large team? Has that exception been spelled out in the "only two team per conference" rule? I think that would mean either Michigan or Stanford would get left out.

Yep, they have the exception in place. If the top two teams are from the same conference, and a 3rd team is the conference champion, then three teams from the same conference can make it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #316
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Now, I don't know the rules, but are the voters required to go with the winner of the final game as their #1? Specifically, what happens if Bama beats LSU by a FG in overtime??? Would voters be allowed to vote a tie for first, or is it a required winner-take-all?

The coaches and Harris poll are required to vote the BCS championship game winner as #1. AP is free to vote for whoever they want.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: top 4 teams guaranteed?

BCS selection procedures

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #318
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Sure glad that there are no playoffs to ruin the importance of regular season games like LSU-Alabama, where it apparently didn't matter one bit who won the game.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #319
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
where it apparently didn't matter one bit who won the game.

Only because of the somewhat unusual situation where the clearly two best teams happened to meet during the regular season. Don't get that every year, just count our blessings & carry on.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #320
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's a great question. If LSU beats Georgia, it certainly would seem legit to vote for them as national champ as long as they don't get blown out by Alabama. Beating Bama on the road would seem to be worth more than losing on a neutral field. Someone could make the case that the Sugar Bowl isn't truly a neutral venue, but it is still more neutral than playing in Tuscaloosa. If LSU wins this Saturday, they would really have to wet the bed in the BCS championship for me to consider any other team as national champ.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #321
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Sure glad that there are no playoffs to ruin the importance of regular season games like LSU-Alabama, where it apparently didn't matter one bit who won the game.

I guess this is my lament, and where it actually seems unfair to LSU. I understand that under current rules they'd have to win and under the logic of "last team to win" they have to win, but taken on the whole they'd be getting the screw a little bit.

Quote:
Only because of the somewhat unusual situation where the clearly two best teams happened to meet during the regular season. Don't get that every year, just count our blessings & carry on.

You know...in this situation, I'd actually rather both teams play schools out of the conference. Alabama may well be one of the top two teams (I still don't know how you can say clearly beyond how they played LSU), but I'd still like to see them prove it against someone else. Maybe LSU vs OSU and Bama vs Stanford. I'm fairly sure both would win, but in my mind it would more cement the superiority of the conference. Of course that would do nothing for Alabama's title hopes.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #322
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like the BCS rankings will go LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Stanford, and Virginia Tech this week. It will be interesting to see if Stanford stays in the top 4 (and in line to get an auto bid) if OSU and VPI win next week.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #323
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, I really wonder if it isn't time for the polls to be scaled back to a Top 20 instead of 25.

FSU? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, they'll probably show up in my own poll too but as much as ever I wonder whether there's really anything worth talking about past about 20. The rest of the poll is the equivalent of NASCAR field-filler.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #324
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Y'know, I really wonder if it isn't time for the polls to be scaled back to a Top 20 instead of 25.

FSU? Seriously?

Don't get me wrong, they'll probably show up in my own poll too but as much as ever I wonder whether there's really anything worth talking about past about 20. The rest of the poll is the equivalent of NASCAR field-filler.

After about 10 weeks, isn't it largely arbitrary outside of the top 8 or 10 anyway?

The only really valuable thing about being in the bottom half of the top 25 is that your highlights are more likely to be shown on ESPN (or like shows) and you get to see your name on the list, which is free publicity for recruiting and brand recognition.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #325
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
They were hoping no one would recognize them and would forget UCLA was playing inthe game.
As much as I get kind of tired of the "black-out" uniform variations or the newer "white-out" ones, I actually think those UCLA white-outs were not bad.

That said, I hate seeing my Huskies wear white pants with their purple tops and all-whites in road games, so I can understand.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #326
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Anyone seen this video of Gus Malzahn's wife at a church luncheon yet?

I'm wondering if she is part of the reason he isn't a head coach yet. She is a nut job.

Bad editing or not. She needs to lay off the caffeine. He was already offered a HC job and turned it down so I don't see she her nuttiness being an issue.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #327
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Due to family emergency, just watched the USC-UCLA game. It was great seeing USC show how much of a gap really exists still. If Barkley somehow comes back, I like this team's chances to compete for a National Championship next year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #328
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Due to family emergency, just watched the USC-UCLA game. It was great seeing USC show how much of a gap really exists still. If Barkley somehow comes back, I like this team's chances to compete for a National Championship next year.

I thought they had one more year of probation?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #329
bhlloy
Coordinator

Two more years of scholarship reductions but the postseason ban comes off this year
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #330
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Two more years of scholarship reductions but the postseason ban comes off this year

You're right, they have already missed two seasons on bowls. Wow time flies nowadays!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #331
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hope everything is ok.

I watched most of that game and USC is defnitely in a good place next year if Barkley comes back, which I believe he will.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #332
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I watched most of that game and USC is defnitely in a good place next year if Barkley comes back, which I believe he will.
Why would Barkley return? Dude is probably a top-10 pick at this point...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #334
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

If he comes back, he could win a Heisman, a national championship, and set every USC passing record. He could become known as the most beloved Trojan player ever. Those are the only reasons I could see him passing up the money.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #335
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

My thoughts are that if he waited one more year, he would be #1 in the draft next season.. although I don't think that matters much anymore as far as $$$ goes.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #336
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
If he comes back, he could win a Heisman, a national championship, and set every USC passing record. He could become known as the most beloved Trojan player ever. Those are the only reasons I could see him passing up the money.

Only a Trojan who has been alive for the glory years of Bush, could label a kid as the most beloved Trojan.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #337
MrBug708
Head Coach

Oh and according to Kevin Prince, UCLA won't push for bowl eligibility if/when they lose to Oregon
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #338
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Only a Trojan who has been alive for the glory years of Bush, could label a kid as the most beloved Trojan.

+1. Marcus Allen would be one I could see being more beloved.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #339
Butter
Coordinator

Wanted to throw in my congrats to Minnesota. They went from possibly being one of the worst teams in the country, to finishing strong. I think between they and Indiana, the bottom feeders are about to see some turnover in the Big Ten.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #340
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Wanted to throw in my congrats to Minnesota. They went from possibly being one of the worst teams in the country, to finishing strong. I think between they and Indiana, the bottom feeders are about to see some turnover in the Big Ten.

Certainly an interesting first year for Jerry Kill. And you are right in the fact that the team didnt quit is an optimistic sign going forward. I am not sure on his recruiting skills but every indication is that he is a solid coach and someone the players love.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #341
cuervo72
Head Coach

Derp. I'd forgotten about this.

2006 Michigan vs. Ohio State football game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #342
RainMaker
General Manager

So Alabama's loss to LSU got them a bye to the National Championship.

Every week is a playoff!

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-28-2011 at 01:29 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #343
molson
General Manager

I don't think rematches are the ill that playoffs are going to fix. Was it unfair for the Patriots to have to play the Giants again in the Super Bowl - they had just beaten them a month before!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #344
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FSU? Seriously?

A four loss Auburn team was in the top 25 before facing 'Bama. I view it like I view top QBs in the NFL. Once you get past roughly the top 5, I don't really care. MSU and Michigan are 13 and 16 respectively. I won't put money on either to win a road game against a ranked team.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #345
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think rematches are the ill that playoffs are going to fix. Was it unfair for the Patriots to have to play the Giants again in the Super Bowl - they had just beaten them a month before!
No, but these are the precise arguments BCS supporters make regarding a playoff. Fiesta Bowl Inc. thanks them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #346
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Not a great game by any means, but we beat KU so that makes it a GREAT game, imo.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #347
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
No, but these are the precise arguments BCS supporters make regarding a playoff. Fiesta Bowl Inc. thanks them.

We get it. You want the playoff and dont like the current system.

But do you real have to cherry pick extreme examples every other day to try and make a point? It has already been explained that this is based on opinion. There really is no right or wrong answer. Do you want people to tell you the playoff system is perfect and the BCS system sucks? Would that make you happy?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-28-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #348
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Old 11-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #349
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Quote:

Oh come on now. You beat one of the worst D1 college football teams in the land by a closer margin than most teams that played them and you decided to end the rivalry because of greed. Is it really something to feel that great about?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #350
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Oh come on now. You beat one of the worst D1 college football teams in the land by a closer margin than most teams that played them and you decided to end the rivalry because of greed. Is it really something to feel that great about?

Next year you guys will be the Kansas of the SEC and will be going through their pain

I hear ya.. isn't the NCAA all about greed nowdays?

If you read my original post I said it wasn't a pretty win, but a win nonetheless.

We usually get our asses kicked in basketball, so it's nice to have something to smile about.