Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
mrfahaji
n00b

Tactics for good safeties

My first venture into a MP league has me 1-5. Much of this is down to a non-functioning offence. My defence is a mixed bag, I have two decent defensive ends and two excellent safeties, but the rest of my defense is average at best.

I've looked for a thread about this but can't locate anything, so my questions are:

1) Are there any good tactics which make good use of good safeties (particularly my Strong Safety)? I suppose I'm thinking more along the lines of generating interceptions etc, and just in general have them involved in more plays? My defensive formation knowledge is weak, both in real life and FOF...

2) Not as important as (1), but my DEs (4-3) haven't tallied up many sacks so far. Is there anything you can do to help with this, or is it a simply a case of match up with the opposition?

Overall notes so far about my defence is that we give up a lot of yardage against the run. I've tried to adjust a bit to compensate but am wary against going too far and getting burnt by the pass, especially as it is a pass-friendly game.

Thanks in advance!

mrfahaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

dont play nearly as much 4 deep zone as the game recommends. or 3 deep either. i play at most 16% 4 deep on certain passes.

sorry i cant help much but im not a mega gameplanner
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
aston217
College Prospect

Defense is trickier than offense I think.

1) Regardless of 3-4 or 4-3, you need to generate a pass rush with your front four. It's either DE, NT, DE, WLB, or DE, DT, DT, DE.

2) I think you want to play your best run-stopping safety with play diagnosis at SS. He is back there in coverage, but helps in run support to a larger extent than the FS, I think.

3) Forget about DE overall ratings, look at their pass rush abilities. PRS, PRT.

4) In a 4-3, I think you'll want some sturdy run-stopping LBs, especially if you focus on pass rush with the front four.

Defensive gameplanning can be a pretty complex matter. Here is a great thread from Nick at the vNFL which I think, is worth reading:

http://www.bearsruletheworld.com/vnf...ll=1#post24430

Note that it shouldn't regarded as an end-all be-all, and there is at least some incorrect information in there ("if you don't assign double coverage, the AI does it for you" is not the case.) However, a lot of good thoughts from a lot of good GMs in here.

I rarely go to dime unless I have overwhelming personnel to dictate it, and it's in situations where the opposing team is almost certainly going to pass. Same with 4-deep. I am pretty loathe to play 4-deep outside of the dime anyway. Don't want my LB sitting back there in a zone.

Last edited by aston217 : 07-30-2012 at 07:58 PM.
aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
2) I think you want to play your best run-stopping safety with play diagnosis at SS. He is back there in coverage, but helps in run support to a larger extent than the FS, I think.

I know the SS are kept in during goal-line while the FS is taken off the field, so that's a good clue. SS should definately be your best Run Defense guy.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
mrfahaji
n00b

Thanks. My Strong Safety is pretty good, so he will undoutbedly help against the run. My main question was about how I can make sure he is involved in more plays through formation selection etc (i.e. does running the 3-Deep make safeties less or more likely to be involved?) But I know this might be a difficult question to answer as much depends on what the offense is calling.

My DEs are both decent at pass rushing, which is why I'm surprised at the lack of sacks. Should I blitz less perhaps? Or more? Or maybe be more 'Aggressive Pass'?

Thanks for the tips so far anyway, and for the link aston217!
mrfahaji is offline   Reply With Quote