Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

The FOFC No Soda Dynasty

Seems like a lot of people are interested in this. For me, personally, if i'm going to attempt something using you guys as a support group, it's necessary to have a dynasty going with some regular updates. With my weight loss dynasty when I fell off the wagon I just ignored it, but with others going along here hopefully I'll be a bit more accountable myself

If RPI-Fan(who got us all going on this) or any others aren't interested in more consistant updates, that is cool, but I imagine there are some of us who would rather have something like this instead.

Personally, I expect to be updating this daily for a week or two to make sure I get going strong, and perhaps just weekly or a couple of times a week after that. Have at it, and good luck everyone!

PARTICIPANTS:

JeeberD: No sodas since 9/25
indoorsoccersim: No sodas since 10/3
RPI-Fan: No sodas since 10/4
Passacaglia: No sodas since 10/4
Godzilla Blitz: No sodas since 10/5
primelord: No sodas since 10/6
Oliegirl: No sodas since 10/7
lurker: No sodas since 10/17
Radii: No sodas since 10/17
Dodgerchick: No sodas since 10/22
Ardent Enthusiast: No soads since 11/1

EDIT: Last updated 11/1

Last edited by Radii : 11-01-2005 at 08:54 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

10/4 - I'm eating lunch now and drinking a Dr Pepper. This will be my last one for a year if I reach the stated goal at least

Personally, I have quit cold turkey multiple times and have always had success for a week, a month, sometimes even 2 months. But making it a permanent change has always been a problem. I *like* water, but I like soda more sometimes and I give in.

I have a 32 oz water bottle at work. *IF* I fill it up the second I get to work and just don't go to the damn soda machine, I'll be fine. I drink 80+ ounces of water just during the work day when I do this just because if its in front of me, I'll drink it. So after I finish this last lunchtime soda, I'm filling up the water bottle and it begins.

We don'tkeep sodas that I like in the house, so that's not a problem, I haven't had a soda at home in quite awhile.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck. I don't drink soda and haven't for 20+ years. I was never addicted and I quit when I was little so I had no problems with it. Hope you're able to stick with it.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I quit it for hockey. Got hooked on powerade, never have gone back.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just an FYI....I have also declared in the No Soda thread I am doing this....last night was my last soda....I have already downed close to 64 ozs of water today
Old 10-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I'm in as well. One year no soda. I'll try to post updates, but promise to post here if I fall off. I'm having a Pepsi as I write this, and will have one more later in the day. I'll start on October 5 (my daughter's birthday!).

Radii: Maybe you could edit your first post to include everyone's name and their current status (out on a certain date, still going)? That way we can see at a glance how things are going?
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
Kodos
Resident Alien

I am weaning myself off as well. Down from my 3 twenty-ounce bottles a day already, I around 1 1/2 bottles a day. Right now, I am drinking my final bit for the day.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What a great idea, with Rosh Hashanah around the corner! I'm in! I don't know if I'm an addict, but I generally can't pass up the chance for pop at a restaurant -- and when I do order pop, I take full advantage of free refills, cause, damnit, I'm making that 2 bucks worth it! I love coke, and when I do buy a 12-pack, it moves quickly. However, I also like milk, and that goes quickly as well. The only reason I don't buy pop all the time is because it's such a pain to carry it. I'm with Detox on "ade" -- I just started running three times a week, and I bring a bottle of gatorade with me. So I don't drink a ton, but I drink enough where giving it up is a big deal (lurker can back me up on this). I suppose the next thing would be to give up coffee, which physically does weird things to me, so it's bad for me in the short-term as well as the long-term.

Anyway, my lunch today included a Mug Root Beer, no ice. Maybe if the stupid place had coke products instead of pepsi products, I wouldn't be in this with you guys!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
What a great idea, with Rosh Hashanah around the corner!
So I don't drink a ton, but I drink enough where giving it up is a big deal (lurker can back me up on this).

Yeah, right around the corner (check your calendar, it's today).

Anyway, so I guess I'm going to have to go all Claire Huxtable on your ass?

I'm already at the point where I don't think it's worth it to get pop at a restaurant since I'm such a slow drinker. It's not worth $2 for me to get two sips in. So count me in too.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #10
Radii
Head Coach

good idea GB. I included passacaglia and lurker even though I don't know what the hell this "pop" stuff is that they're talking about

Am I adding you as well Kodos for cutting this out or are you going the possibly more sane slow weaning off method?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm in as well, though I really couldn't tell you when the last time I had a soda was...maybe a month ago when my parents were in town and I had grape soda at my sister's house? I'm not sure...

Anyways, it shouldn't be difficult for me, as long as I don't have to make too many long drives. I suppose on my trip down to Austin this weekend if I start feeling tired I can grab a cup of coffee, but it'll be kinda hot for that.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So wait, Old Major, I mean RPI-Fan, said something about throwing in frappucino drinks. Is it just soda we're boycotting, or fraps as well?

Oh, and unfortunately guys, lurker and I aren't with you on the 'No Yoda' part -- there's a pretty good chance we're going to see one of the Star Wars movies this weekend.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:56 PM   #13
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I feel bad for you guys, this last week I've discovered the most AMAZING pop ever. It's 3 quarters Sierra Mist, 1 quarter Mug Root Beer. You get the initial taste of root beer with an aftertase of sierra mist. Sounds weird, but my god it's the best tasting liquid I've ever experienced. And for that I could never quit, but good luck to you guys.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

I gave jeeber 9/4 since he said about a month.

As to the frapputhingies, that's up to each individual I suppose

For me, it's easy. If i'm not drinking fully loaded sugary sodas, I only drink water or the very very occasional glass of milk or OJ. I have actually had one milkshake this year and it was a couple of days ago. I don't like coffee, can't stand diet sodas, etc etc, so this is a strictly soda challenge for me. To each his own IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

i can't wait. I'm the devil's advocate on this one.

Soda. Soda. SODA. SODA!!

I figure if you see how obnoxious I'm going to get on you guys, maybe you will stay on, just to avoid my I Told You So's
Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
i can't wait. I'm the devil's advocate on this one.

Soda. Soda. SODA. SODA!!

I figure if you see how obnoxious I'm going to get on you guys, maybe you will stay on, just to avoid my I Told You So's

That reminds me(well ok, no it doesn't, but I meant to ask you awhile ago), are you coming back to BC in FOFC FBCB or have you given up on us? I still have you in place there.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Laughs.. I haven't loaded FBCB in a while, I'll attempt to fire it up tonight at least.

And sleep. Sleep very important too. I think. need more caffine to get through the day.

I bet you a lot of folks will suddenly decide they're coffee or tea drinkers early in this dynasty
Old 10-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
Jon
High School Varsity

I've tried to quit cold turkey numerous times, but I always end up getting the headaches for caffeine withdrawal (I don't drink coffee). I may join this thread since you guys are into in, but after I finish the last two liter in my house.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:11 PM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Laughs.. I haven't loaded FBCB in a while, I'll attempt to fire it up tonight at least.

Check the message board, I've added a couple of neat new features and wrote up a program to present the results, etc, which might make things a little prettier.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Doh, I lied! I forgot that I picked up some Gott's Cream Soda a little while ago. I polished the last one off last week, Radii...

Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #21
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I'm in, put me down for starting tomorrow...I had a sprite at lunch today.

For the record, I am not giving up frappaccino's or iced tea...though when I drink iced tea it's half and half so the sugar intake isn't quite so lethal.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #22
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I'm in - last soda was 10/03.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
good idea GB. I included passacaglia and lurker even though I don't know what the hell this "pop" stuff is that they're talking about

Am I adding you as well Kodos for cutting this out or are you going the possibly more sane slow weaning off method?

I'll wean and then let you know when I'm off.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #24
Buzzbee
College Starter

Just wanted to tell you that you guys (and gals) suck if you can't give up soda. You can DO it!! There are millions of people out there who don't drink sodas. The biggest 'gotcha' will probably be at fast food restaurants. "I'll have a number two, with coke." Gets me every time. Watch out for it. Be prepared for it. Get in the habit of ordering water.

Good luck to you all. Us weak-willed, chicken-shit, soda dependent wussies will bask in your glory a year from now!!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you mean we'll be laughing at them a month in when they decide they are the slaves to carbonation they really are?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #26
lurker
High School JV

Now I'm feeling guilty even being in this thread...I always get water when I get fast food. I like the taste of water. Oh well -- this'll be incentive to not get Coke just because it's a free can at a work meeting or something.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm in, starting today. Tea is still an option for me, though.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
I'm in, starting today. Tea is still an option for me, though.

I'm not a heavy tea drinker, though. I drink far more soda than I drink tea. Heh, the tea I drink is crystal light's powder mix at that. I'm good for two or three small cups (6 to 7 oz) of the tea a day I'd guess.

Last edited by Poli : 10-04-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #29
Lorena
Unregistered

COUNT ME IN!!

I was gonna order a cheeseburger combo for lunch today and realized they didn't have a big selection of "non soda" drinks, so I opted for a Taco Supremo Salad and had water. My body thanked me for it

It's amazing how one choice ended up changing my whole meal. This might help me lose some weight. Hmm...

BTW, my last soda was sometime last week. I think it was a diet Mt. Dew... yeah, that's what it was.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #30
Lorena
Unregistered

Oh yeah, I'm one of those "replace soda with tea" people. I started today

Last edited by Lorena : 10-04-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #31
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
COUNT ME IN!!

I was gonna order a cheeseburger combo for lunch today and realized they didn't have a big selection of "non soda" drinks, so I opted for a Taco Supremo Salad and had water. My body thanked me for it

It's amazing how one choice ended up changing my whole meal. This might help me lose some weight. Hmm...

BTW, my last soda was sometime last week. I think it was a diet Mt. Dew... yeah, that's what it was.

Same thing... had 2.5 hours to kill before my night class, and to watch the baseball game I wanted to buy dinner. Instead of the subb w/ fries & a soda (or two), I went with the subb w/ 3 milks (3 milks cost less than a small soda!!!) and am happy to have overcome my first challenge.

Challenge #2: Overcome the habit of drinking a soda in the morning at work (when I work the 6am-? shift), and even moreso avoid drinking a soda with lunch at work.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #32
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I'm in.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #33
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What are some good soda-alternatives (other than water, of course)?

My #1 is probably milk, but I don't know of many others... OJ is also something I'll probably drink more of.

So:

1. Water
2. Milk
3. OJ
4. Hot chocolate

Anything else?

~rpi-fan
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #34
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I drink quite a bit of Crystal Light. In all honesty, I don't normally drink a lot of soda, in my opinion. I've been good for a 20 oz bottle a day at work typically. While home on leave, and without my Crystal Light, I drank quite a bit of Diet Dr. Pepper. 4 cans a day or so, it made me feel horrible.

All else fails you could buy some lemonade mix or Kool Aid.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #35
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Radii: No soda since 10/4 (FTR)...

Can you cross people off the list in big bold letters if they drink a soda? Or at least, can you cross me off the list if I do? Thanks!

~rpi-fan
Old 10-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #36
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Same thing... had 2.5 hours to kill before my night class, and to watch the baseball game I wanted to buy dinner. Instead of the subb w/ fries & a soda (or two), I went with the subb w/ 3 milks (3 milks cost less than a small soda!!!) and am happy to have overcome my first challenge.

Challenge #2: Overcome the habit of drinking a soda in the morning at work (when I work the 6am-? shift), and even moreso avoid drinking a soda with lunch at work.

GOOD FOR YOU!! That's freaking awesome RPI! The first of many obstacles you will overcome
Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #37
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I have a technical question...I love to drink Vodka Tonics, I use diet tonic water, does this count as soda b/c it's carbonated or does it count as water b/c it's stocked the bottled water aisle? If I have to give up VT's that may be a deal breaker for me
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:10 PM   #38
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
What are some good soda-alternatives (other than water, of course)?

My #1 is probably milk, but I don't know of many others... OJ is also something I'll probably drink more of.

So:

1. Water
2. Milk
3. OJ
4. Hot chocolate

Anything else?

~rpi-fan

I'm with you on the milk. How much do you drink? I can drink a gallon of fat free milk a week.

Other alternatives:

1.) Hot and Iced Tea (I drink a lot of green tea, but mostly herbal tea.. not even decaffeinated since it still has traces of caffeine)

2.) Apple Cider

3.) Sobe Beverages - they're incredibly tasty and they have tons of flavors to suit everyone

4.) Juice - all kinds of course like apple, orange, grape, grapefruit, etc.

5.) Lemonade

6.) Smoothies - make your own with milk, ice, a little sugar (or in our case, Splenda), fruit. Very refreshing and filling

7.) "Italian Soda" - not sure if this is allowed, but its basically sparkling water with a couple tablespoons of DaVinci Syrup. DaVinci Syrups come in sugar and sugar free versions.

8.) Flavored water - there's a brand out there and I can't remember what it is off hand, but there's lots of flavors like strawberry, citrus, and others. One of them is Nestle Pure Life

Hope it helps, I'll be downing lots of milk and water from now on.

GLUCK!!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #39
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
I have a technical question...I love to drink Vodka Tonics, I use diet tonic water, does this count as soda b/c it's carbonated or does it count as water b/c it's stocked the bottled water aisle? If I have to give up VT's that may be a deal breaker for me

I was wondering the same thing, I'd say it's okay... hmm..
Old 10-04-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Dodgerchick:

All sodas are basically carbonated water and syrup. That Italian soda fits that mold so it would probably be cheating if you wanted to really stick to the "no soda" rule.

Edit: Actually it depends on what the purpose of this is. If it is to give up caffeine and sugar then it seems like it would be fine. But then some commercial sodas would be fine too. I don't see any great advantages to giving up carbonated water itself for a year so it seems to be vodka tonics would be fine. So I guess it depends on what "no soda" means. No commercial soda? No carbonated water flavored with syrup? No carbonated water at all?

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 10-04-2005 at 10:06 PM.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 PM   #41
Radii
Head Coach

Edited the original post w/ all the new additions.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #42
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Good luck to all of you, but I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."
Old 10-04-2005, 10:55 PM   #43
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm in ... no Arm & Hammer for one year.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #44
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Dodgerchick:

All sodas are basically carbonated water and syrup. That Italian soda fits that mold so it would probably be cheating if you wanted to really stick to the "no soda" rule.

Edit: Actually it depends on what the purpose of this is. If it is to give up caffeine and sugar then it seems like it would be fine. But then some commercial sodas would be fine too. I don't see any great advantages to giving up carbonated water itself for a year so it seems to be vodka tonics would be fine. So I guess it depends on what "no soda" means. No commercial soda? No carbonated water flavored with syrup? No carbonated water at all?

Well shoot... I didn't even consider that. You have a point because the first ingredient in soda is carbonated water followed by high fructose corn syrup (sugar) or some kind of color. Never thought about it.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:09 AM   #45
lurker
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Good luck to all of you, but I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."

Soda sounds like something you'd get at a drive-in in the 50s.

Oh yeah, and if we're being technical about it, I think my last Coke or soda/soft drink/whatevs was on 9/30.

Last edited by lurker : 10-05-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #46
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Everybody up here calls it "pop". Even after six years living here, I can't get used to it and I never say it myself, preferring a very neutral "soft drink" term when asking at restaurants. Oddly enough, I never called it "coke" while growing up in North Carolina, which I think is what the popular term is supposed to be there. Probably the result of having a Yankee-inflected heritage (dad from Illinois, mom born in VA, but grew up either in NY or Miami).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #47
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I still can't believe that people actually say "pop."

No kidding. There are some sick, sick people out there...

Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #48
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick

I read a study that looked at soda consumption during meals. Basically, one group of people was given soda with a meal and the other group was given water with a meal. Interestingly, both groups ate essentially the same amount of food. The study concluded that soda consumption doesn't help eaters feel full, so the calories gained from soda consumption during meals are all "extra" calories. Replacing soda with water during meals should be a great way to lose weight.

One 12-ounce Coke has 155 calories. Roughly 22 and a half cans of Coke result in one pound of body fat. Even if you drink only one 12-oz. Coke a day, cutting it out and replacing it with water will shift your body weight down about 1.3 pounds/month.

And on another note...

My caffeine withdrawal headache is kicking in.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-05-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
And on another note...

My caffeine withdrawal headache is kicking in.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO!
Old 10-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #50
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO!
Last time I tried this the headache lasted almost two weeks. This is going to suck. Hard.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-05-2005 at 04:25 PM.