Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #51
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You can do it, GB! Beating the sugar addiction and the caffeine addiction means you have two reasons to give it up!

Since I'm back in this thread, I'll mention that lurker said I wouldn't be able to do this. That'll show her!

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #52
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oooo. Sir Fozzie is giving us a villain. That always makes for a good dynasty.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #53
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm the Devil's Advocate. I will MOCK any who fall relentlessly.. giving you guys a reason to stay on the straight and narrow
Old 10-05-2005, 02:20 PM   #54
KevinNU7
College Starter

Include me in the mocking!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM   #55
KevinNU7
College Starter

Dola,

Anyone substituting soda with another type of caffinated beverage is wasting time.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 PM   #56
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hmmm. Strongly tempted to go over my 1 - 1/2 bottle allotment. Eyes watering because I'm really tired. Be strong, you damned alien!

Last edited by Kodos : 10-05-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #57
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

TOLD YA SO!

i'm surprised at fozzie's consistent and unprovoked hostility through this thread and the other on the main forum and i wonder what issues he has that compels him to this. whatever the issues are, they're enough for him to read and post in the less-frequented dynasty threads for a dynasty he is not participating in. that takes some level of commitment.

does he work for pepsi?
is his portfolio heavily invested in KO?
is he overweight and has he tried unsuccessfully to lose weight, so now trying to quash any attempts by others to improve themselves?
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #58
Kodos
Resident Alien

He's a part of the High Fructose Corn Syrup industry that is trying to fatten up and destroy America.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #59
Buzzbee
College Starter

He just enjoys being an ass?
He is trying to give you a taste of what will happen if you fail?
He can never get his stubby fingers under the pop top and is relentlessly tormented by the forbidden treasure inside the can?
He lost is Dungeon Master's Guide and this is how he vents his frustration?

I got nothin'.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #60
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Dola,

Anyone substituting soda with another type of caffinated beverage is wasting time.

This is not true at all. While not ideal, drinking a non-acidy & sugary caffeine drink (plain coffee) is a significant improvement over soda.

Coffee has little/no negative impacts on your teeth, while soda is terrible for them. And the acid in soda for you is uber-bad, and that same stuff isn't in coffee.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #61
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Same thing... had 2.5 hours to kill before my night class, and to watch the baseball game I wanted to buy dinner. Instead of the subb w/ fries & a soda (or two), I went with the subb w/ 3 milks (3 milks cost less than a small soda!!!) and am happy to have overcome my first challenge.

Challenge #2: Overcome the habit of drinking a soda in the morning at work (when I work the 6am-? shift), and even moreso avoid drinking a soda with lunch at work.

Made it through the day without any issues... instead of ordering hot lunch (pizza, etc.) with the boys, went to Price Chopper and got a muffin (not great, but still not as bad as pizza), with a quart of milk.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #62
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
This is not true at all. While not ideal, drinking a non-acidy & sugary caffeine drink (plain coffee) is a significant improvement over soda.

Coffee has little/no negative impacts on your teeth, while soda is terrible for them. And the acid in soda for you is uber-bad, and that same stuff isn't in coffee.
Whatever helps you sleep at night
Old 10-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #63
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night

What the fuck is your problem?

I don't even drink coffee. But the fact is, there are things in soda other than caffeine that makes it unhealthy.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #64
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
What the fuck is your problem?

I don't even drink coffee. But the fact is, there are things in soda other than caffeine that makes it unhealthy.
I think you are missing the whole idea that SirFozzie and I are just joking around with you guys.

Someone's a little touchy since they lost their soda fix
Old 10-05-2005, 03:36 PM   #65
KevinNU7
College Starter

Dola,

FYI with the exception of mixed drinks I haven't had a non diet soda in about a year and only drink Diet Cokes when I go out to eat and then only about a third of the time.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #66
Radii
Head Coach

My head is fucking killing me, but its from some pain in my jaw after a recent dentist appointment and from what I think is a stress related headache that came on last night with some.. duh, stress, so if i'm having a caffeine headache I won't even notice it. No problems on day 1 w/o soda, with about 60 oz of water downed today.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #67
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, it's all good. I am a soda addict, and interesting to see if it can be done, I've tried a couple times and couldn't follow through. the headaches and the

It's all in good fun.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #68
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
My head is fucking killing me.

Me too. It is from oodles of angry little brain cells jumping up and down and screaming, "WHERE THE HELL IS OUR CAFFEINE?"

Not to mention that I have the energy level of a dead slug now. I can barely see the keyboard I'm slumped so low in my chair.

The worst thing? My wife will come home and have an ice-cold Pepsi right in front of me with her dinner.

Life was so much easier yesterday.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #69
primelord
Pro Rookie

I was reading this for the first time as I was finishing my 5th 20oz bottle of Dr. Pepper of the day. It has suggested to me that I may have a problem.

So I am in too. I have 3 cans of Dr. P at home I will polish off tonight sincde my wife doesn't drink them and tomorrow I shall be soda free for a year. Or at least until lunch. We will see.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #70
Buzzbee
College Starter

Keep hanging in there guys and gals. The headaches WILL go away.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:09 PM   #71
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've gone down the path of quitting a couple of times. But I wasn't willing to put up with the caffeine headaches for a week straight and eventually went back to drinking pop.

I've decided to passively participate with this dynasty. I'm only drinking a Coke when I feel the caffeine headache coming on. That should get me down to maybe one a day instead of 4-6 per day. The hope is that I'll be able to move from one to zero at some later date, but quitting cold turkey has failed miserably for me in the past and I just don't want to do that to myself again. I'm expecting at least one person in this dynasty will end up going this route as well if they don't abjectly surrender to the power of the beverage industry outright.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM   #72
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I wish all of you the best of luck in this. I was very happy when I completed nearly 12 months with-out a soda. I then didn't have another for 6 months or so. Now I generally have it every 4-6 weeks or so either in a resteraunt or movie theatre. It's a special treat and I really enjoy it on those occasions when I have it, while being careful not to go back to my former ways.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #73
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Ha, you had soda at The Silo a few weeks ago.

So did I.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #74
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast
Ha, you had soda at The Silo a few weeks ago.

So did I.
Indeed. You noticed that I didn't order one at first but then decided it was a special occasion and ordered one . I haven't had one since.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #75
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I did notice that, I felt I pressured you into it.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #76
Poli
FOFC Survivor

By the way, I nearly bought Monster Energy drinks earlier today for my trip tomorrow. I wasn't thinking about my commitment at all. Glad I didn't .
Old 10-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #77
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
By the way, I nearly bought Monster Energy drinks earlier today for my trip tomorrow. I wasn't thinking about my commitment at all. Glad I didn't .

Umm... we can't have energy drinks? Aww man.. no, I didn't have any, but I ocassionally do. Alright, those are out.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:20 PM   #78
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
Umm... we can't have energy drinks? Aww man.. no, I didn't have any, but I ocassionally do. Alright, those are out.

There aren't any rules... do whatever you want.

For me, these would be fine (at first at least) since I'd probably drink them in moderation.

My problem with soda is, I either have to have it ALL the time, or not at all.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #79
Passacaglia
Coordinator

You guys are funny. As Ramadan starts, there are people that aren't eating or drinking ANYTHING for about 13 hours.

Now, I'll join in the bitching! Yesterday went pretty well for me. I often buy a 20 oz. coke on my way to my tutoring job, but since I knew I wouldn't be doing that today, I filled my water bottle with orange juice. Worked pretty well. However, when I got back home last night, I saw there was a half-full 20 oz. of coke left over from when I came back from tutoring a couple days ago. I told myself the coke was probably flat by now, so that helped make me not want it. However, even though I told myself it was worthless, I didn't dump it out. Wonder why? I mean, I *am* lazy, but was there something subconscious going on there?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:53 AM   #80
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh, and I've decided that I'm with the No Fraps Gang. In fact, I'm cutting out any coffee-related product as well. I'll still drink tea, though.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:22 AM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Up at 4 this morning to help the barracks with urinalysis for the students, I almost accidentally grabbed a soda. I caught myself, though. Kind of funny, I nearly had one because I was too sleepy.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #82
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Just to add to the temptation...I heard Fresca (or was it Freska)... is coming back
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:19 AM   #83
JeeberD
General Manager

Nothing but water (and a tiny bit of Peach Tea at work) for the past two days...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #84
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Up at 4 this morning to help the barracks with urinalysis for the students, I almost accidentally grabbed a soda. I caught myself, though. Kind of funny, I nearly had one because I was too sleepy.

Just goes to show how much of a 'habit' it really is.

Keep it going guys and gals!!
Old 10-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

Back up to 2 bottles today. I suck, and it's been a sucky day.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #86
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

Sir Fozzie is going to jump all over you.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #87
Kodos
Resident Alien

He sucks too.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #88
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Oh my...his FOF teams are driving him to drink!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #89
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He sucks too.

Awww, come on Kodos, Have a coke and a smile..

One down, who's the next to fall?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #90
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Day three. Still hanging in there. Headaches were the worst yesterday. Head seems to be better today. Energy level is still low, but getting better.

Tought test last night: birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. When you don't drink soda, you begin to realize to what degree soda consumption is promoted in US culture and to what degree other drinks are hidden. The soda machine is displayed in an easy to find location with bright lights. The milk is hidden away in the kitchen, and a customer has to make a special request to get it.

Drinking soda in a place like that is almost a no-brainer. When you think, "What is there to drink?" you see the prominently displayed soda machine right in front of you and nothing else around. Finding something else to drink takes creativity and initiative, which is probably not in abundance when you show up with two hungry kids in tow.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-07-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:38 AM   #91
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Oh how the mighty have fallen
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #92
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Oh how the mighty have fallen
I don't think Kodos has fallen, really. He never said he was going to join the "dynasty", did he? He was trimming back each day and had a setback, right? Maybe now he'll join us?

For what it's worth, I had a hell of a time gradually cutting back on soda products. I tried the "3 Cokes today, 2 Cokes tomorrow, 1 Coke the next day" thingie, but it never worked for me. My problem is that I treat soda like potato chips: I have one and I can't stop. Much easier for me just not to start.

Although my recent attempts to give up caffeine/Coke met with failure, I have hope. I was addicted to Coca Cola when I was 13 years old, and then just gave caffeine up in a moment when I realized how jittery it was making me. I couldn't sit still. I still drank occasional non-caffeinated sodas, but probably had only six Cokes/coffees a year for the longest time. Then our kids were born and I got addicted to caffeine again. The thing that gives me confidence that I can quit now is the fact that I quit once when I was 13.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 10-07-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #93
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, I said no coffe-related products on Wednesday, then on Thursday morning, I order my caramel tea latte on the way to class. I usually don't drink it until I get to class, so by the time I tasted it and found out that it was a caramel latte (i.e. with coffee instead of tea), it was too late. However, I managed to have just that one sip!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #94
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Well, I said no coffe-related products on Wednesday, then on Thursday morning, I order my caramel tea latte on the way to class. I usually don't drink it until I get to class, so by the time I tasted it and found out that it was a caramel latte (i.e. with coffee instead of tea), it was too late. However, I managed to have just that one sip!
If all you had was that one sip I wouldn't call it a failure, I'd reem into the place that gave you the wrong thing
Old 10-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #95
Buzzbee
College Starter

Good job Blitz and Pass.

TeeHee. That sounded funny.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #96
JeeberD
General Manager

Busy day at work, I've had NOTHING to drink at all today. Time to hit the kitchen and get a glass of ice water...

Old 10-07-2005, 06:33 PM   #97
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've been home for about 24 hours now. I'm certain my wife and inlaws believe I'm high.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:06 PM   #98
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I caved and had a caffeine free diet coke today...I know it's soda, but at least it was caffeine free and diet! Tomorrow will be better...I need to start bringing a bottle of water over to my parents house, they have a bar fridge they keep stocked with cans of soda and knowing they are there makes me want one SO bad!!!!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #99
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I gave up regular soda/pop/whatever you call it a couple years back. I lost about 20 pounds in 2 months just by not drinking it

I drink mostly diet sodas now, very rarely (maybe once every 2 or 3 months) will I have a regular one. I did it to cut back on sugar and calories. I still get plenty of caffeine from coffee and diet pop, I'm not really worried about that.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #100
Craptacular
College Starter

A couple of years ago, I went straight from about 4 to 6 regular Mountain Dews a day to water and a couple of Diet Rites a day. My wife and I came back from vacation, and agreed we needed to lose weight. So bang, no easing into it, just switched immediately. I can't stand coffee or tea, so I had no other liquid source of caffeine. For those of you who don't know, Diet Rite is about as close to water as you can get without it just being plain water. No caffeine, no sugar, no calories, pretty much no taste. I managed to make it through about 6 or 8 weeks before I decided I just couldn't do without caffeine. So, I started drinking Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, as I really didn't like the taste of Diet Dew. It look a little getting used to the taste, but compared to Diet Rite, it was heaven. Now regular soda tastes fairly nasty to me. I still drink 3-5 diet sodas a day, and there ain't no way in hell I'm going without caffeine again!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote