Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #251
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Sydney turned 4 on Tuesday. Man, I love birthdays.
She received skates with helmet and pads, a jumprope, some jewelry, and a bunch of other things. Still have a party coming on Saturday at Toys R' Us. Gonna set me back like $150. Man, birthdays have changed.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #252
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
All I can say is that I feel your pain and hang in there. There are no tricks that I know of, anyway.

My son (Drew, 4) is still periodically waking in the middle of the night and crying loudly for fear of "being all by myself." But I know that's better than what you're dealing with.

The worst part is that helpless feeling. I wish she could express what it was that is bothering here. Would put all of us alot more at ease.

It is especially odd because of her normal temperment. People will always stop us in church, a restaurant, etc, to compliment how well behaved and on control she seems. Granted, she's at the age now she'll have the occassional tantrum, but not like we've seen from other kids (my wife especially, a ped nurse).

Thanks!!
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #253
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I am a happy man right now, I am sitting in the Denver Airport waiting to head home 3 days early.

My kids, who are both in Capoeira, are in the process of taking their tests (Which they did and passed!) and attending workshops for the Batizado that is taking place on Saturday. I was going to miss it, now I am going to be there for it. We are surprising them as well. They think I am coming home on Sunday still, my in-laws will be taking them to their workshops while my wife picks me up at the airport. We are then going to head over and I will be able to catch them as they participate in the Roda, watching them play the game of Capoeira.

I will take some pictures of the event today and post them up in my site for those who are interested (FrogMan).

The painful part of my job is missing things like this, so when I get the little bit of joy like this, it makes my day.

Also, the baby is crawling non stop and getting into everything, but the awesome thing is when we talk on the phone, he starts laughing when he hears my voice, and then starts growling at me because he wants to play and wrestle, something I did with him before I left on this last 6 week tour.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-01-2006 at 01:25 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #254
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Pretty cool, congrats to the kids! I know your job is very rewarding to you but that must be killing you to leave them home and go on those long trips. Not sure I'd be able to do it.

Oh, and I'm sure others will be interested too Dennis

FM
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #255
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Pretty cool, congrats to the kids! I know your job is very rewarding to you but that must be killing you to leave them home and go on those long trips. Not sure I'd be able to do it.

Oh, and I'm sure others will be interested too Dennis

FM

Thanks, one of the main differences I have noticed with Capoeira is the testing is really only yearly at the Batizado, and you have to test with one of the Maestre's in order to be considered passed...But once you earn a cord for it, it makes it all worth it..

I will be starting up myself for the two weeks I am home, and then when I get back.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #256
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru
Thanks, one of the main differences I have noticed with Capoeira is the testing is really only yearly at the Batizado, and you have to test with one of the Maestre's in order to be considered passed...But once you earn a cord for it, it makes it all worth it..

I will be starting up myself for the two weeks I am home, and then when I get back.

so a "cord" as you call it is basically the same thing as what the belts represent in other martial arts? Interesting...

Nice that you can share it with your kids, even if you're training in it only in between trips...

FM
Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 PM   #257
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
so a "cord" as you call it is basically the same thing as what the belts represent in other martial arts? Interesting...

Nice that you can share it with your kids, even if you're training in it only in between trips...

FM

Yeah, cord = Belt but they are not even close to what I am used to seeing...

http://www.saltlakecapoeira.com/capoeira/cords.cfm
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #258
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Things have been good and bad around here...my knee surgery was April 18th, so I'm about 6 1/2 weeks out and it's finally getting back to normal. Radii has been awesome handling things around the house, and Anthony was also a huge help. I'm glad to be back up and moving around again though.

The end of the school year was rough...there was the cheating incident I posted about at the regular board, which turned out to be a much bigger deal than we had originally thought. On top of that, he went back to his old ways and was getting mulitple check marks every week. It got to the point where we would ask him every night if he had gotten a check mark (his teacher wouold say "you just got a check mark for that" or something similar) and he'd say no, but on Friday come home with 2 or (usually) more checks. We'd question Anthony at length and he'd insist that he either didn't remember or didn't know that he'd gotten checks...or he'd say they all happened that day. After talking to his teacher repeatedly about this we found out that he did know and was lying about it. So we had multiple issues to address...long story short he ended up grounded for 3 weeks, no end of soccer season parties, and a number of things taken away long term (xbox was the big one). Last day of school (end of grounding) finally arrives and despite all of this he has made honor roll again so all in all the school year ended on a good note.

He's been giving me attitude again lately, which irritates me to no end. The other day he was playing with a toy sword which he had been playing with in the dirt and stuff. He put the blade of the sword to his lips and I told him not to put the sword in his mouth. He said he wasn't, and I explained that putting something against his lips was the same thing as putting it in his mouth b/c of the way the germs would get in, etc...he continues to argue with me until I start to get stern, at which point he rolls his eyes and says "what - ever" in this nasty voice. I stood there for a few seconds and then just reached out and smacked him across the cheek...not hard, but enough to make him realize that I was pissed, and then I lectured him for a few minutes about attitude and respect. I know I had an attitude when I was younger, but I know that I never talked to my parents that way until I was about 10 years old...I've seen this attitude in other kids too and am just shocked at how early it's starting. If he's like this at 8 1/2, what is he going to be like in his teens/high school????
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #259
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Things have been good and bad around here...my knee surgery was April 18th, so I'm about 6 1/2 weeks out and it's finally getting back to normal. Radii has been awesome handling things around the house, and Anthony was also a huge help. I'm glad to be back up and moving around again though.

The end of the school year was rough...there was the cheating incident I posted about at the regular board, which turned out to be a much bigger deal than we had originally thought. On top of that, he went back to his old ways and was getting mulitple check marks every week. It got to the point where we would ask him every night if he had gotten a check mark (his teacher wouold say "you just got a check mark for that" or something similar) and he'd say no, but on Friday come home with 2 or (usually) more checks. We'd question Anthony at length and he'd insist that he either didn't remember or didn't know that he'd gotten checks...or he'd say they all happened that day. After talking to his teacher repeatedly about this we found out that he did know and was lying about it. So we had multiple issues to address...long story short he ended up grounded for 3 weeks, no end of soccer season parties, and a number of things taken away long term (xbox was the big one). Last day of school (end of grounding) finally arrives and despite all of this he has made honor roll again so all in all the school year ended on a good note.

He's been giving me attitude again lately, which irritates me to no end. The other day he was playing with a toy sword which he had been playing with in the dirt and stuff. He put the blade of the sword to his lips and I told him not to put the sword in his mouth. He said he wasn't, and I explained that putting something against his lips was the same thing as putting it in his mouth b/c of the way the germs would get in, etc...he continues to argue with me until I start to get stern, at which point he rolls his eyes and says "what - ever" in this nasty voice. I stood there for a few seconds and then just reached out and smacked him across the cheek...not hard, but enough to make him realize that I was pissed, and then I lectured him for a few minutes about attitude and respect. I know I had an attitude when I was younger, but I know that I never talked to my parents that way until I was about 10 years old...I've seen this attitude in other kids too and am just shocked at how early it's starting. If he's like this at 8 1/2, what is he going to be like in his teens/high school????

I feel for you there a little bit....I think it's the generation now...my 9 year old acts that way at home, but not at school...

We have Capoeira to take away now, which to her is the world. However, since we started her in it, the fits and such, has toned down drastically...
Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #260
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dola!

Onto the Batizado......My kids did aswesome, and it was one of the coolest events I have ever been to or seen. Extremely interesting, and has helped me make my decisions to start on Monday that much more set in stone.

The kids both received their cords, where my son was able to play Capoeira with one of the most popular Mestre's in the world, Acordeon. It was a memorable experience for me, and I hope he understands, that the old man who he played with, was one of the people critical to spreading Capoeira in the U.S., especially in the west.

My daughter did awesome, and people asked her how long she had been playing, and when she told them since March, they were shocked. She played with a Professor who had just moved up here from Brazil, and he is going to be teaching at our school.

Both kids have officially earned their Dark Green cords, both received them early, due to the abilities and talent shown at the Batizado.

This experience is extremely positive for all involved, and it's amazing for my kids to love something like I do football....

Anyways, enough of me glowing about this....I will be posting some pics and vids up soon....

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-03-2006 at 09:52 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #261
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Anyways, enough of me glowing about this....I will be posting some pics and vids up soon....

Dennis, there's never too much glowing about what our kids do

Andrew played his first football game today. Poor kiddo, they'd had only two practice in the last week and they'd taken them through drills for about every positions on the field, from QB (actually simply learning how to throw the ball) to WR to OL to DL to DB. They had run some plays as a team toward the end of the Thursday night practice and they had slotted him on the end of the defensive line so I kind of briefed him on what to expect as a defensive end. This is where my poor kiddo comment comes in to play, they moved him around today! They put him in as a DB to cover the only WR on the other side. First play, he tackled the WR as he came accross the line of scrimmage, and stayed glued to him, talk about effective bump and run They didn't call one penalty during the whole game and even let that one go with only telling him he shouldn't be doing it. He kinda learned a bit and toward the end of the game, he was facing the right guy for the snap and even hitting himself on the thigh pads to pump himself up. Was just too cute

It's was a crappy, rainy and cold day but he looks like he had fun. Actually it's the first time in a long while that he looked so pumped when I asked him if he had fun.

FM
Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #262
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Dennis, there's never too much glowing about what our kids do

Andrew played his first football game today. Poor kiddo, they'd had only two practice in the last week and they'd taken them through drills for about every positions on the field, from QB (actually simply learning how to throw the ball) to WR to OL to DL to DB. They had run some plays as a team toward the end of the Thursday night practice and they had slotted him on the end of the defensive line so I kind of briefed him on what to expect as a defensive end. This is where my poor kiddo comment comes in to play, they moved him around today! They put him in as a DB to cover the only WR on the other side. First play, he tackled the WR as he came accross the line of scrimmage, and stayed glued to him, talk about effective bump and run They didn't call one penalty during the whole game and even let that one go with only telling him he shouldn't be doing it. He kinda learned a bit and toward the end of the game, he was facing the right guy for the snap and even hitting himself on the thigh pads to pump himself up. Was just too cute

It's was a crappy, rainy and cold day but he looks like he had fun. Actually it's the first time in a long while that he looked so pumped when I asked him if he had fun.

FM

That is definately awesome, my boy, Avery, shows more desire and skills at baseball than football...Honestly, I don't care either way, I myself was all about baseball up until my freshman year in H.S. when I was told I was to small to play catcher at that level.

Well, tell Andrew congrats on playing from me!

And how was Dad while watching him?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 AM   #263
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Well, tell Andrew congrats on playing from me!

And how was Dad while watching him?

I'll tell him

Dad was kind of anxious. You know, I had two hours of karate in the morning, and I got to the game with about 15 minutes to spare and he was already huddled up with the team so I didn't get to talk to him before the game, or work on his stances and what to expect a bit more, so I felt bad about myself that I couldn't help him more. Then I was worried he could get injured although I don't know why, maybe it's the bad reputation football has with the big injuries in the pros. I mean, Andrew's done karate fighting and when he plays soccer, he's the one bumping the others out of the way more than the one being bumped away, so I knew he could hold his own. But still, he's a 3rd grade playing in the 3rd/4th grade league so some are indeed bigger than him. He held his own fine after all and I'm sure he'll get better as the season goes on. I'm just so happy to see that he's having fun and he's motivated to go back to his two practices this week.

FM
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #264
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just checking if anyone is interested in the Capoeira vids from the Batizado, if so send me a PM...

The files are not modified and quite large as I haven't edited them....also, they were taken using my HP M415 Digital Camera
Old 06-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #265
Radii
Head Coach

This thread needs more conversation!

My son worked his butt off last soccer season and became our team's best goalie. I'm extremely proud of how hard he worked and how gutsy he played in goal, and most definitely let him know that.

So we're watching Brazil/Japan on TiVO, and (to avoid tivo spoilers still) one player gets open and takes an awesome, extremely powerful shot into the side of the net, no way in the world the keeper could stop it, etc. We watch the replay, and Anthony says, "wow, even *I* couldn't have stopped that!"

At least he isn't lacking in confidence
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #266
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Unhappy

I'm a little bummed and angry as a parent right now. Drew has been "busted" at daycare for two consecutive days for tantrums and hitting teachers. This is abnormal for him to begin with, but the hitting & kicking thing is really distressing. And it's over stupid little things like wanting a bandaid and not getting it (the "boo boo" was miniscule), and not listening to a teacher during nap time and then going ballistic. The latter one was today, and I had to leave work to come and get him. Grrrrrrr. So much for a fun start to the holiday weekend

Just needed to vent a little.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #267
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm a little bummed and angry as a parent right now. Drew has been "busted" at daycare for two consecutive days for tantrums and hitting teachers. This is abnormal for him to begin with, but the hitting & kicking thing is really distressing. And it's over stupid little things like wanting a bandaid and not getting it (the "boo boo" was miniscule), and not listening to a teacher during nap time and then going ballistic. The latter one was today, and I had to leave work to come and get him. Grrrrrrr. So much for a fun start to the holiday weekend

I just saw this... is this totally out of the blue here? Does he offer any sort of reason for being upset? Is he behaving differently with you guys or is it just with his teachers? Not that I have any solution or anything but it is very curious to see drastically unusual behavior.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #268
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:

How old is he? Anthony has gone through a couple phases over the past 8 years where he will all of a sudden start behaving completly differently for no apparent reason. I've always asked him what was going on, let him know that his behavior is not OK, and punish him for it if necessary. Sometimes he told me that something was wrong or something was bothering him and after a lot of prying on my part, tells me what is going on. Sometimes, it's just a phase and the behavior stops after a couple weeks and he goes back to his normal self.

I'd say keep a very close eye on him and maybe if you can find a good time, talk to him and ask him why he is all of a sudden doing these things. Also talk to his teachers and see if they have noticed any changes in his social behavior.

Good luck!!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #269
Lorena
Unregistered

I came into the master bedroom and was horrified to find our 2 year old Landon with a Sharpie writing on the walls!! My look of horror must have registered into Landon's brain because he put the top back on the Sharpie and gave it to me. Antmeister and I started cleaning his mess with a Magic Eraser and it got rid of it all.

What is it in a kid's brain that tells him it's okay to do something even though they know it's wrong? He KNEW because he handed me the Sharpie. Ugh... kids.

My second thought was damn, I should have taken a picture of it, but alas... too late.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #270
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick
I came into the master bedroom and was horrified to find our 2 year old Landon with a Sharpie writing on the walls!! My look of horror must have registered into Landon's brain because he put the top back on the Sharpie and gave it to me. Antmeister and I started cleaning his mess with a Magic Eraser and it got rid of it all.

What is it in a kid's brain that tells him it's okay to do something even though they know it's wrong? He KNEW because he handed me the Sharpie. Ugh... kids.

My second thought was damn, I should have taken a picture of it, but alas... too late.

Magic Eraser = Best Invention EVER!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #271
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl
Magic Eraser = Best Invention EVER!!!!!!

Totally! Sharpies are supposed to be permanent, but it can't fight the power of the Magic Eraser
Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #272
duckman
Pro Starter

The other day, I had to start the dreaded "Curse Jar" back up after dropping 3 F-bombs while driving in front of Matthew. The kid made a killing off me the last time I had one.

I know it's not a story about my son, but I thought I share anyways.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick

Yeah, my horrible 2 year old does the same thing. Magic Erasers don't work as good on flat paint as they do on semi gloss.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #274
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Yeah, my horrible 2 year old does the same thing. Magic Erasers don't work as good on flat paint as they do on semi gloss.

Yeah, luckily our son wrote on the door which is semi gloss and it came off much easier than the wall... that was a challenge.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #275
Samdari
Roster Filler

The baby has decided she no longer requires sleep.

Newborns just suck.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #276
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari

Newborns just suck.
Oh my yes.

All I can say is I feel your pain.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #277
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:

Newborns just suck.

How old is she?
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #278
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman
How old is she?
One month old, referencing this thread.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #279
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I feel for you samdari, under 4, maybe even 6 months of age were the times I found the toughest. Very little interaction and they are so needy. Hang in there, the moment she'll start smiling and reacting to you, it'll be worth your while believe me...

FM
Old 07-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #280
Samdari
Roster Filler

I know, I have one who is 21 months, and he is the light of my life. I remember when he was this age, always remarking to my wife, "I cannot believe people ever have two." And here I am.

After two days, she remembered she liked to sleep, and started again.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #281
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
always remarking to my wife, "I cannot believe people ever have two." And here I am.
This made me chuckle. And anyone with 3+ is certifiably insane.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #282
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
This made me chuckle. And anyone with 3+ is certifiably insane.

absolutely, I don't know what that makes of revrew though

FM
Old 07-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #283
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
absolutely, I don't know what that makes of revrew though

Stunningly inept at using birth control?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #284
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Stunningly inept at using birth control?

oh, I think they were all planned out in advance and welcomed to this world, all 17 of them

FM
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #285
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

We got Drew a new (used) bed this past weekend. It's an oak "captains bed" that is twin-sized. He loves it, and it's really cool to see him enjoying such a simple thing so much.

Between that and swimming in the pool every chance he gets, he seems to be a happy camper right now. Which = happy parents!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:22 AM   #286
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Had something of a hilarious problem with understanding our linguistically advanced 2.5-year-old recently. About a week ago, I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and she suddenly blurts out something that sounds amazingly like "visit bitches.com". I'm having her repeat what she's saying to me and then to my wife and then back to me where I can study her lips and, sure enough, it looks like she's leading off the word with a "b" sound. We're trying to think of a) where she might have heard that and b) maybe it's an accidental rhyme with what she meant to say, so we try ditches, witches and other similar words to see if she really meant to say something else. We don't repremand her because neither one of us can think of an incident where such a word was used around her recently, so we just think it's an error in pronounciation.

Nothing more comes of it until a couple of nights ago when, once again, she suddenly parrots the "visit bitches.com" line again. This time, it's pretty obvious it's what she's saying. Of course, I'm laughing my head off, mostly in astonishment, but once again we're still trying to figure out the source of this statement. I haven't been watching TV where she might've heard something like that and my wife usually watches HGTV, TLC, or Food Network during the day, so the TV seems to be out. What else could it be?

Well, it got solved and it was the TV's fault in the end, but not in the way we thought. Turns out because dear daughter watches a fair amount of PBS Sprout and Sprout On Demand that somewhere during all that TV time, somebody or something mentioned not "bitches.com" but "beaches.com". What a relief!

Admittedly, she may watch too much of those PBS programs because she can recite pretty much verbatim all the repeatable parts that usually advertise PBS Sprout. I'm in so much trouble.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #287
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

That's a riot, good story.

I had a pretty amusing incident picking up from daycare yesterday. One of Drew's best friends, John, is a notorious instigator (in a good, 4-year-old way). Anyway, I'm sitting there with Drew, and John and another boy come over with a picture book. John flips through it to a picture of some old fisherman in his boat, holding a little boy over the side to grab a fish with his net. Well, the boy's ass crack is showing a bit, to which John points and shouts out, "This is the BOOTY PICTURE!" Lots of giggling ensued, and BOOTY was repeated over and over, including to the young female teacher. It was hilarious.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #288
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

good story Wolfpack, me I'm worried my 2.5 year old will go to the daycare saying "daddy has a big penis". He saw me coming off the shower the other day and his eyes focused down there. Sure, I told him, daddy has one, Matty has one. Daddy's is bigger that Matty's because daddy is bigger and taller than Matty. Not sure all explanations will follow in his casual Monday morning talks at the daycare..

FM
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #289
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

My daughter and i were on the bench swing the other day, and she said "Oh shit."
I asked her to repeat what she had said.
"Oh shit." and she paused. "Is that a bad word, daddy?"
Trying not to laugh, I told her that it was and to not repeat it.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #290
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Had something of a hilarious problem with understanding our linguistically advanced 2.5-year-old recently. About a week ago, I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and she suddenly blurts out something that sounds amazingly like "visit bitches.com". I'm having her repeat what she's saying to me and then to my wife and then back to me where I can study her lips and, sure enough, it looks like she's leading off the word with a "b" sound. We're trying to think of a) where she might have heard that and b) maybe it's an accidental rhyme with what she meant to say, so we try ditches, witches and other similar words to see if she really meant to say something else. We don't repremand her because neither one of us can think of an incident where such a word was used around her recently, so we just think it's an error in pronounciation.

Nothing more comes of it until a couple of nights ago when, once again, she suddenly parrots the "visit bitches.com" line again. This time, it's pretty obvious it's what she's saying. Of course, I'm laughing my head off, mostly in astonishment, but once again we're still trying to figure out the source of this statement. I haven't been watching TV where she might've heard something like that and my wife usually watches HGTV, TLC, or Food Network during the day, so the TV seems to be out. What else could it be?

Well, it got solved and it was the TV's fault in the end, but not in the way we thought. Turns out because dear daughter watches a fair amount of PBS Sprout and Sprout On Demand that somewhere during all that TV time, somebody or something mentioned not "bitches.com" but "beaches.com". What a relief!

Admittedly, she may watch too much of those PBS programs because she can recite pretty much verbatim all the repeatable parts that usually advertise PBS Sprout. I'm in so much trouble.

My 2 year old is also a HUGE Sprout fan, and like you, I often wonder is she watching too much.

Thought you might find this interesting...if you and your wife are like my wife and I, you no doubt picked up on "Melanie" missing from the Good Night show.

http://www.sproutletsgrow.com/good_night/index.html

Quote:
A Notice To Parents Regarding
The Good Night Show

Late last week, Melanie Martinez, host of The Good Night Show, alerted us to the internet posting of an independent short film that she appeared in seven years ago. PBS KIDS Sprout has determined that the dialogue in this video is inappropriate for her role as a preschool program host and may undermine her character’s credibility with our audience. As a result, PBS KIDS Sprout has decided that she will no longer appear as host of The Good Night Show. Melanie has been an important part of our network and we are disappointed that we had to make this difficult decision.

PBS KIDS Sprout’s foremost priority is to do what is best for our young viewers and their families. We remain committed to The Good Night Show, which debuted last year, as a valuable tool for parents to help children wind down after a busy day. Regularly scheduled programs within The Good Night Show (e.g. Dragon Tales™, Bob The Builder™, Thomas & Friends™) will continue to air in their designated time slots with new short-form content replacing Melanie’s segments. We are developing plans to launch a new season of The Good Night Show with a new host in late 2006.

Posted Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 6:02 p.m. ET

Per CNN, she appraoched them about 2 videos called Technical Virgin, spoofing PSAs on how young girls can remain virgins.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 07-28-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #291
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm
My 2 year old is also a HUGE Sprout fan, and like you, I often wonder is she watching too much.

Thought you might find this interesting...if you and your wife are like my wife and I, you no doubt picked up on "Melanie" missing from the Good Night show.

http://www.sproutletsgrow.com/good_night/index.html

Per CNN, she appraoched them about 2 videos called Technical Virgin, spoofing PSAs on how young girls can remain virgins.

Yeah, I saw that. Doesn't really impact us that much since we don't really let her watch Sprout after dinnertime anyway. She more watches it during the morning or early afternoon hours before her nap.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-28-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #292
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Dola...holy cow! On a lark I poked around YouTube and Google Video and managed to find the videos in question. I completely, COMPLETELY understand why she was dismissed now. They're hilarious, but they are as raunchy as you can get in thirty seconds without delving into actual pornographic images.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:01 AM   #293
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Dola...holy cow! On a lark I poked around YouTube and Google Video and managed to find the videos in question. I completely, COMPLETELY understand why she was dismissed now. They're hilarious, but they are as raunchy as you can get in thirty seconds without delving into actual pornographic images.

Now I'll have to go look! I jokingly kept telling my wife "They must have caught her in some pr0n!" as the explanation for her disappearnce...I guess I wasn't THAT far off.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #294
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

My wife is driving yesterday with 4-year-old Drew, and hears him say this after touching the car window:

"Jesus Christ, that's hot!"

She had trouble navigating through that little gem.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #295
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Two samples of the types of conversations I keep having with Matty, our 2.5 yo kiddo...

Quote:
M: why in the car?
S: we're giving a ride to Andrew to his English Camp
M: Why?
S: because he's going to the English camp
M: why?
S: because there are lots of activities
S: because he wants to learn English too

sigh, but then...

Quote:
M: what's that?
S: it's a bowl that grandma forgot to bring back home
S: she forgot
S: she was thinking about something else
S: she was probably thinking about you
M: Why?
S: because she loves you so much
M: oh

And for a rare time, I WON!!!!!

Yep, we're very deep in the "why" phase...

FM
Old 08-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #296
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Two samples of the types of conversations I keep having with Matty, our 2.5 yo kiddo...

Yep, we're very deep in the "why" phase...

FM

I hear you. My 4 year old is on the why kick. It's funny, when I was young I told myself that when I was a father, I would tell my kids about everything and not let it bother me, like it obviously did my father, after a while. Little did I know how tiring explaining everything to a child could be after a long day at work, a commute home, picking up groceries, and chasing two kids around the house would be.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #297
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Little did I know how tiring explaining everything to a child could be after a long day at work, a commute home, picking up groceries, and chasing two kids around the house would be.
WHY?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #298
Butter
Coordinator

My wife babysits a few kids during the day... she recently picked up her friend's 2 year old. Apparently, that mom says "dammit" a lot, because my wife says that whenever a TV show is over, the 2 year old says "Dammit TV! Dammit TV!" It took her a couple of days, but she finally broke him of that one.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #299
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We haven't gotten to the "why" stage yet with our 2 year old (2 years, 3 months), but she had a great comment the other day. She was walking toward the kitchen but paying attention to the TV and ran right into the dining room table. I think she caught herself before she actually hit, so she wasn't really hurt, just scared/stunned.

So my wife comes out from the kitchen and says, "Did that mean table jump out and bite you?"

And Mackenzie says, "No, it was me."

Man, we couldn't stop laughing for about 10 minutes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #300
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yesterday was a rough day for us.

We traveled to Ft Worth for a short two day visit to the grandparents house for swimming, relaxation and horse rides. Everything went really well until last night. My kids were taking turns riding one of the horses and Zachary (4) had already ridden and Ean (almost 3) was taking his turn when the horse spooked and sent him flying.

He came down on his head, on a rock. There was blood everywhere but he didn't get knocked out. A friend, who is a nurse, rushed us to the childrens hospital. She called ahead and when we got there they took us in right away. He was in a lot of pain, but stayed awake.

They did some blood work, xrays and a CT scan, and everything came back negative. You have no idea how scary it was to see your baby in a neck collar. He was alright except for the 2 in crescent shaped gash on his forehead and the numerous scrapes under his left eye.

He did his so well, and after a little more crying and 17 stiches (13 exterior, 4 interior) he got to go back home. We are traveling back to our house today. I am hoping that we don't have any problems in the airport with all the extra security. It was a good trip, just ended with more excitement then any of us would ever hope for.

Please put my "tiny" in your thoughts and prayers as he heals over the next few weeks.

PM

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote