Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Diss Town FC - Tangerines Can Play (FM 2010)

Note: I have to thank Fozzie and BYU14 for this and showing me the Level 10 mod...It hooked me.

I have a buddy who grew up near Diss and he made mention that the team needed a new coach and we jokingly said I could cap it with my vast knowledge of football from FM of the past and playing in my AAA comp league as a keeper, so I quickly sent my CV to them as a joke...what I didn't expect was the phone call from the Club President Brian Collins.

"So you think you can coach at this level?" He grumbled into the phone...

"I don't see why not, I know it's football in England and the passion but nothing I can't handle."

"We don't pay that well, but you can keep your online businesses running to help with your salary however we will kick in room and board for you."

Wait a minute....did my ears deceive me, did I hear right? Did he just offer me the job....

"Um, Mr. Collins I am pretty sure Nick might have put you up to this and I truly appreciate it, but I don't need him bursting into my office and laughing at me for thinking this is rea.l."

"Dennis, this is real...do me a favor...take my number down, look it up on our website...and call me back." the distinct click of him hanging up and I quickly search for the web for the Diss Town FC website....and I see their number right on top...and I start to shake..Nick will not believe this. I quickly dial it and get the receptionist and tell her who I am and she promptly transfers me.

"So Dennis, what do you think"

"I'll take it" A large grin on my face...

"Good..I am purchasing your tickets now. See you next week."

With that, I quit my job as a Systems Analyst with Nick laughing the entire time thinking I was pulling a hoax on him...then that was when one of his classmates sent him an email....in it was a link to the local paper...With my name there and my hometown...asking if he knew me or of me and how I was around there.

"Listen Dennis they take football seriously there....people get hurt, don't do this."

"Nick, the decision is final, I am doing it...keep an eye open, I might need an assistant."

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Diss Town - A Background

Founded in 1888, Diss Town are an amateur English club currently playing in the English Eastern Counties League Division One. The club play their home games at Brewers Green Lane and possess basic training facilities and a very basic youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Tangerines.

Having enjoyed success as recently as 2005, The Tangerines are a club with a growing history. Diss won the FA Vase in 1994, and won the Norfolk Senior Cup in 1996, 2003 and 2005 and finished runner-up on two occasions.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Note

This Dynasty will not always be a game by game breakdown but maybe a thought by thought concept...something simple and brief...but yet engaging.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-10-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Walking into and meeting the board was definitely a unique experience for me....

I was humbled to say when informed my airfare and room and board was my pay, looks like in my off time my online business get's an entire new focus.

They also tell me they will not increase the payroll, they will not provide transfer money and they will only allow scouting in England, Ireland and France...and I seriously doubt I will torment my scout by sending him to France.

Now the expectations they lay out....

They say finish in a "respectable" position in our Division....

Minimum expectation of the 2nd round in the FA Vase this season
1st round of the Eastern Counties League Cup
Quarter Final of the Norfolk Senior Cup

I wasn't able to speak much...other than as Brian Collins was patting me on the back on my way out he managed to squeak out a Good Luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Now I meet with my Staff...and the first thing that jumps out at me and that is...I need a new staff...however the report is decent.

Johnny Dormer believes that Diss Town have a squad of players capable of achieving at least a top half finish in the English Eastern Counties League Division One. He is very pleased with the amount of depth to the squad and feels we can be confident that the players we have are capable of achieving what is required of them.

Despite possessing a strong team, Dormer still feels that the weakest area of our squad is in midfield.

Dormer believes you may want to consider these players as a potential solution to the problem central midfielder area:

Ross McLaren (Braintree's 20-year old English defender, midfielder who is valued at $0)
Chris Owens (Uxbridge's 22-year old English midfielder who is valued at $0)
Ashley Caldwell (Bath's 19-year old English midfielder who is valued at $0)

In addition to his team report, Dormer has instructed the coaching staff to compile comprehensive reports on each member of the squad.

Dormer believes that when played in his favored central defender role, Elliot Greene is one of the best players in the team. Johnny has picked out Greene's coach report for you to have a look at.

Once after the meeting is complete I inform the staff I will be reviewing their files and making a decision on their future at the club...I make this statement to be up front with them and let them know that if they have other choices it might be the right time to call them.

Once I peruse through everything I decide to let Dormer and Symons my coaches go as they really didn't have what I needed in them. I also let Shaw my physio go as I think a pre-med student can perform better.

I immediately get on the phone and start searching for some staff.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Friendly Match vs Reserves

I am an attacking type style and always have been. I quickly set out with a 3-4-3 to work against our friendly the next day against our reserves.

Once the Match is complete...I will make my squad decision.

As for staff, I have some offers I have floated out there and hope they sign before we get into normal friendlies and league games.

Although one decision was made for me...As I was setting up the squad for the our friendly I removed a captain and he was pissed, this 22 year old comes into my office screaming and yelling and telling me he doubts I have the balls to do anything decisive and I smiled at him and said hows this "Your fired" and asked him if that was decisive enough.

I also met the media today and actually guided the discussion in the direction I wanted to with the approval of my players.

Onto the Match, we took a Draw 2-2 as I played with the subs in the 2nd half. However I did find one thing out...this club needs to train their Fitness up...big time.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-09-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Nice, welcome to the fray. These guys will be a challenge, will be following along and good luck.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

New Staffers

Well,

I was able to convince a few new coaches and a physio to show up and help us out here.

Honestly they have some great talent so I do not expect them to be here next season.

My new Asst Coach is Tom Ashford, a 30 yr old that will help shore up our defense

The new coach is Phil Wainright, a 41 yr old that is my drill sergeant. These guys will be running like no other with Phil.

And our new physio is 45 yr old Gary Lewin with a 20 Physio rating.

I also assign Tom to book all of our friendlies.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-09-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Nice, welcome to the fray. These guys will be a challenge, will be following along and good luck.

I think the challenge will be my formation I like to use...it requires 2 strong MF and 2 strong WG's and one hell of a defense.

These guys were moving like no tomorrow on my reserves but just wore out in the second half.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Diss Town?

Are your rivals Dat Town?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Diss Town?

Are your rivals Dat Town?

LOL...Diss is a city in Suffolk if I remember correctly...my buddy Nick grew up pretty close to it...I picked this team because I talked about them a bit when I worked with him.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I promote three players from the youth/reserves that torches us in the 2nd half.

D/C Phil Day
D/L Nick Connors
AM F/C Mickey Burns

All three are 16 and ready to take on the world...as for our starters it appears going into our friendly in 6 days is.

GK Neil French (16 yrs)
LD Matt Hemsley (25 yrs)
CD Elliot Greene (16 yrs)
RD Jason Houghton (16 yrs)
ML Luke Short (26 years)
MR Mick Cousins (27 yrs)
MC Alex Brock (26 yrs)
MC Tom Botley (27 yrs)
ST Michael Reeves (23 yrs)
ST Steve Higgs (16 yrs)
ST Ryan Harrison (26 yrs)

Harrison scored both of our goals in the test match. I will not hesitate to bring the youth in when needed and hit the reserves.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Walsham-le-Willows (Friendly)

As we walked into our first competitive friendly, one that wasn't going to be played behind closed doors I was nervous...shaking...butterflies, it was then I told Tom to pep the guys up as I ran into a stall and puked my guts out.

We had a new hot prospect come over on a free transfer from Braintree, Josh Clover..He is going to help our midfield out quite well. We had another prospect we received as well but he failed his medical and the board denied the transfer.

And then there was the match....

Quote:
Diss Town 2 - 1 Walsham-le-Willows (Friendly)

Diss Town battled to a deserved 2 - 1 victory over Walsham-le-Willows on a fine summer's evening in their Friendly game at Brewers Green Lane.

Striker Michael Reeves gave Diss the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 23rd minute. Walsham-le-Willows' equalizer came through Danny Driver as he seized on Ryan Harrison's mistake to score a penalty. An error from Josh Holmes allowed young striker Steve Higgs to score a well timed close range finish.

Attendance: 55

A low turnout for the friendly but we are fine with it and I know this town will come to love us. As for the match, the Ref was calling this game tight, he yellow carded Harrison in our box allowing for the PK where Walsham scored their lone goal.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have one more friendly coming up and then I get really busy...my August is looking as such.

Quote:
Assistant coach Tom Ashford has reminded you of some important dates in the month ahead:

1.8.2009 - Diss v GH Academy (Friendly)
8.8.2009 - Norfolk County FA Senior Cup First Round Draw
12.8.2009 - Holland v England (Friendly)
15.8.2009 - Thetford Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
15.8.2009 - Clacton v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
22.8.2009 - Norfolk County FA Senior Cup First Round
22.8.2009 - English FA Vase First Qualifying Round Draw
22.8.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Wisbech Under 18s
22.8.2009 - Diss v Cornard Utd (Eastern Counties D1)
23.8.2009 - Norfolk County FA Senior Cup Second Round Draw
29.8.2009 - Boston Utd Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
29.8.2009 - Gorleston v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Glen Hoddle plays everyone for hells sake. They should be huge favorites against you (1-8 against me) but that match will tell you alot about your team and tactic.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Glen Hoodle Academy (Friendly, Spanish Team)

Quote:
Diss Town 0 - 0 Glenn Hoddle Academy (Friendly)

Diss Town will have been the happier of the teams after a 0 - 0 draw on a fine summer's afternoon at Brewers Green Lane.

Both teams had a number of attempts at goal, which promised much, but the quality of finishing was poor throughout.

Attendance: 68

Clover played an awesome game when he came in, I am thinking he may end up getting the nod to start here soon. It was shocking to me how fast he wore out though.

I told the guys that we were happy with the result...we were not supposed to win the past 2 friendlies and right now we are sitting at 1-0-1 and are happy.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Right now I have been working with my coaches and I now have 2 vets tutoring 2 of my younger players and they are all happy about it.

Baptist is tutoring Day and Harrison is tutoring Burns.

Meanwhile we are preparing for the Norfolk Senior Cup Draw that will be on the 8th and our match against Clacton on the 15th. This will be our first away game and it is an EC1 match.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Clacton (EC1 Match)

We head into the match as underdogs being told we would be lucky to pull a draw out of this one.

And then we shocked the EC1..

Quote:
FC Clacton 1 - 3 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

A sturdy defense and a battling midfield display were the foundations upon which Diss Town built their 3 - 1 victory over FC Clacton this afternoon. Two goals from Michael Reeves helped Diss to victory.

Things did not get off to a good start for Clacton as striker Michael Reeves seized on an error by Ben Joyce to score a real poacher's effort. Striker Ryan Harrison doubled Diss' lead with a real poacher's effort in the 44th minute. Reeves was able to keep his composure to score from the spot after Taylor gave away a penalty.

With Clacton staring at defeat, there was controversy as winger Ashley Pereira then had a penalty shot turned down. Reeves then had a chance to score from the penalty spot at the 67 minute mark but missed his attempt.

Things went from bad to worse for Clacton as young centre-back Chris Ribchester earned himself an early shower for persistent fouling in the 79th minute. Young centre-back Matt Smith pulled one back for Clacton after 88 minutes with a well timed close range finish.

Attendance: 80

Also of note for this first match..

Quote:
Ryan Harrison impressed during Diss' 3 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Clacton this afternoon, according to the Diss Soccer Informer.

Harrison was a constant thorn in the side of the opposition defense during this match. He not only had a hand in two of the goals but also got on the score-sheet as well. His contribution ensured that Diss dominated proceedings here at The Rush Green Bowl.

Harrison currently has 11 months remaining on his $0 p/w deal at Brewers Green Lane.

Clacton is bitching about the officiating which they shouldn't, their tackles were brutal and the one from Taylor took Harrison down in the box not even going for the ball. I do feel that the 2nd yellow wasn't warranted.

The press wanted to talk about the penalty and I flat out told them my thoughts on it...which shortened the conference considerably.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Cornard Utd (EC1 Match)

We prepare for the match and I try to get our new defender into the lineup for the match as a sub...I want to see what he can do and what better way than to get him involved in a match we should win easily.

Quote:
Diss Town 1 - 0 Cornard United (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town battled to a deserved 1 - 0 victory over Cornard United on a fine summer's afternoon in their English Eastern Counties League Division One game at Brewers Green Lane.

The first incident of note was on 43 minutes as Diss were denied claims by Ryan Harrison for a penalty. Then followed controversy as Diss were denied claims by young centre-back Elliot Greene for a penalty.

Diss finally took the lead when striker Andy Roberts scored a real poacher's effort in the 64th minute. Young centre-back Elliot Greene's red card for persistent fouling in the 90th minute put Diss' position under question.

Diss had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Attendance: 216

A match we should have won by more than the score indicated was actually controlled by the Ref, he handed out 6 yellows and a Red...2 of those yellows and the Red went to our young defender Elliot Greene

Quote:
Elliot Greene has been given an automatic one match suspension after being sent off in the Eastern Counties D1 match between Diss and Cornard Utd.

The suspension will apply for all English domestic competitions and will start on Saturday 22nd August 2009.

You have decided not to appeal against this suspension.

Quote:
Matty Hemsley played well during Diss' 1 - 0 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Cornard Utd this afternoon, according to the Diss Soccer Informer, but in truth Diss Town could and should have won by more.

The Diss defender looked tidy and hardly put a foot wrong all game.

Hemsley, who was born in Diss, has 10 months left on his contract and has recently confirmed his happiness at playing for his local club.

Not much here, our short passing game was horrible and if we play like that against the better opposition we are screwed.

One thing to note, we are at the top of Division after two games.

Some Additional Notes:

The FA Vase draw was today and our first match is against Pilkington XXX....

For the Norfolk Senior Cup Second Round we draw Dersignham.

Hemsley and Roberts were both selected as EC1 Team of the Week first Eleven.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-09-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Important September Dates

When I arrived in my office I had this taped to my Monitor

Quote:
Assistant coach Tom Ashford has reminded you of some important dates in the month ahead:

2.9.2009 - Gorleston v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
4.9.2009 - Poland Under 21s v England Under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
5.9.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Walsham-le-Willows Under 18s
5.9.2009 - England v Slovenia (Friendly)
5.9.2009 - Pilkington XXX v Diss (FA Vase)
6.9.2009 - Norfolk County FA Senior Cup Third Round Draw
6.9.2009 - English FA Vase Second Qualifying Round Draw
7.9.2009 - England Under 19s v Croatia Under 19s (U19 International)
9.9.2009 - England v Croatia (World Cup Quals (EUR))
9.9.2009 - Diss v Dersingham (Norfolk Senior Cup)
12.9.2009 - Bury Town Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
12.9.2009 - Whitton v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
16.9.2009 - Eastern Counties League Cup Qualifying Round Draw
16.9.2009 - Diss v Fakenham (Eastern Counties D1)
19.9.2009 - English FA Vase Second Qualifying Round
19.9.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Fakenham Under 18s
19.9.2009 - Diss v Ipswich Wanderers (Eastern Counties D1)
20.9.2009 - English FA Vase First Round Draw
26.9.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Dereham Under 18s
26.9.2009 - Great Yarmouth v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
26.9.2009 - Uzbekistan Under 20s v England Under 20s (U20 World Cup)
29.9.2009 - Ghana Under 20s v England Under 20s (U20 World Cup)
30.9.2009 - Eastern Counties League Cup Qualifying Round
Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #21
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Gorleston (Away EC1 Match)

Heading into the match this week the team was brimming with confidence and I know that this could be a problem.

It quickly did as Gorleston was the faster squad, they played hard, ran every single minute of the game and just stuffed us...

Quote:
Gorleston 1 - 0 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

A fine summer's evening at Emerald Park saw Gorleston come out on top against surprisingly lackluster Diss Town.

Gorleston finally took the lead when striker Sam Thompson scored a real poacher's effort in the 61st minute.

Diss were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Attendance: 183

I tried to build them up, telling them they could win...I lost it after the match...not the blow up in the locker room lose it...but the cold, quiet I was so pissed I just walked through the locker room didn't say a damn thing to anyone and to my office pissed.

The fans were none to pleased either.

Quote:
Supporter spokesperson Derek Kellaway believes the fans are disappointed with Diss' 0 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One defeat against Gorleston.

Jason Houghton, Tom Botley and Andy Roberts were the main targets for the fans' criticism and there were some who stated that players such as Elliot Greene, Steven Kay and Paul Emery should have been preferred in the starting lineup.

Diss have dropped one place to 4th in the English Eastern Counties League Division One, with Thetford climbing above them.

Yes, they had a right to bitch about Green, Kay and Emery not being in...but we have a cup game coming up and I didn't want to risk losing green from it and honestly, they know we should have finished this game easily.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Pilkington XXX (Away, FA Vase)

Having played 3 days earlier this match poses somewhat of tough situation for me. I want to win, but I don't want to wear my guys out.

Coming into the game my scouts and coaches have brought me some reports on several players I asked them to look out on, I am trying to build up our reserves and youth team to keep this club stacked....

Steve Higgs has an injured hamstring and looks to be out for 3 to 4 weeks, this sets my attacking game to a disadvantage as I had him constantly pushing the attack in the middle of the field.

Quote:
Pilkington XXX 2 - 1 Diss Town (FA Vase 1st Qual. Rnd)

A fine summer's afternoon at Triplex Sports Association Ground saw Pilkington XXX come out on top against surprisingly lackluster Diss Town.

An error from Elliot Greene allowed striker Andy Scott to score a close range header. Then followed controversy as Pilkington XXX were denied claims by centre-back Julle Makengo for a penalty.

Young winger Lee Beech doubled Pilkington XXX's lead with a real poacher's effort in the 62nd minute. Cousins scored from the penalty spot after Makengo gave away a penalty.

Attendance: 107

Last match, I was controlled rage at the end of this match I lost it...This has been by far one of the most disgusting losses I have seen...they completely outplayed us, I even came in with a 3-5-2 hoping to control the midfield and push the ball up...I might have to switch to a more defensive formation if I am going to survive.

Quote:
Mickey Burns has told how head coach Thomas Dennis lost his temper with the team during Diss' 1 - 2 English FA Vase First Qualifying Round defeat against Pilkington XXX.

The young striker revealed that Dennis had not been happy with the way the team had played and had made sure the team knew it.

He was lucky, Defender Elliot Greene felt my fury, I know he is only 16 but he has shown me he knows what to do...

I also let it be known that I am going to be bringing in fresh blood so people better start performing.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-10-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #23
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Looking at the schedule and seeing that we have another match coming up I have to tone down the training to get these gentlemen rested.

My scout has managed to find 2 vets that should be able to help us and we have approached their clubs about transfers.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-10-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #24
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dersingham (Norfolk Senior Cup, Home)

We again are picked to be favorites and I head out to the press conference and I don't know if i will be to divulging in information or even happy...I am losing supporters, they are threatening to boycott the game the board is pissed about the losses and I am setting myself up for another chance to dissapoint the board and myself, maybe I am not cut out to be a coach....

Quote:
Diss Town 1 - 0 Dersingham Rovers (Norfolk Senior Cup 2nd Rnd)

Diss Town taught Dersingham Rovers a lesson at Brewers Green Lane this evening.

Player Mark Collins showed a sign of things to come though as he nearly gifted Diss a goal in the 29th minute. Centre-back Matty Hemsley gave Diss the lead with a real poacher's effort in the 34th minute.

Diss had a number of attempts at goal but their profligacy meant they didn't score as many as they maybe would have liked.

Attendance: 122

I am happy with the win, I am also happy with the way we played...we just need to finish, Harrison had 2 headers go off the top bar and a shot go off the side bar...Honestly, this game should have been 4 - 0 with Harrison netting a hattrick.

We came out with the 3-5-2 again and controlled the match a lot more.

I am a little concerned though as our MR Mick Cousins sustained a twisted knee during the match and could be out for up to 2 weeks.

Now we have 3 days to prepare for a league match against Whitton.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
kobe360x
n00b

good to see you win
kobe360x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #26
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe360x View Post
good to see you win

Thanks...I have 3 hours to kill in the Cleveland airport tonight...so I think we will be getting some great updates going on.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #27
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Whitton (EC1, Away)

We are pegged as underdogs for this match to the point Whitton would have their way with us. They were relegated to EC1 from last season, so they have had some money and talent on their team.

Before the game I tell the boys they can win this, they just have to stay focused and push through and they can do it.

Quote:
Supporter spokesperson Derek Kellaway believes the fans are disappointed with Diss' 0 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One defeat against Whitton.

Derek believes the fans were disappointed with the amount of times the team failed to test the opposition goalkeeper.

Alex Brock, Robbie Harris and Michael Reeves were the main targets for the fans' criticism and there were some who stated that players such as Steven Kay, Chris Allen and Andy Roberts should have been preferred in the starting lineup.

Diss have dropped two places to 7th in the English Eastern Counties League Division One, with Ipswich Wanderers and Saffron Walden Town climbing above them.

Well, I can't say I was upset. We held them to a goal, which was great problem is with our shooting going on right now...we couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

The good news is, Higgs is coming back and will allow me the power attack I have been lacking.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Fakenham (EC1, Home)

We come in clear favorites to win this one but I am starting to get some decension in the ranks as I have been playing youth over vets in some areas. GK is one of them as I have been playing 16 year old French who has been amazing...I will switch it up and get 25 yr old Cobb in between the pipes. However I think I will be releasing Simon Smith if he complains some more...he does not fit with the scheme I run...

One thing I have decided to keep an eye on is who the referee will be, it allows me to tell the boys to play a little rougher if they can. This week is an unknown with Darren Cann from Norwhich.

The other important event that happened leading up to the match was the draw for the Eastern Counties Cup Qualifying Round and we drew Great Yarmouth.

I am going to be playing Ross Cobb in at GK, bringing in the Vet Simon Smith on defense and newly acquired transfer Chris Allen will have his debut.

Quote:
Diss Town 1 - 1 Fakenham Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town were held to a draw by Fakenham Town in a close-fought Eastern Counties D1 match played at Brewers Green Lane.

Fakenham finally took the lead when striker Keith Duff scored an effort from the edge of the area in the 62nd minute. Diss' equalizer came through Elliot Greene as he seized on Colin Wilson's mistake to score a penalty. Better late than never for Diss and the fans were clearly delighted with Greene's impact.

Attendance: 172

Wow...we are getting out performed, it looks like the training isn't taking and potentially hurting us. These guys are tired and I feel for them, letting them know that after the match...They need a break and it's not coming up for a while as we have a match coming up with the Ipswich Wanderers at home in 3 days.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-22-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #29
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ipswich Wanderers (EC1, Home)

We come into this game underdogs and I need the most from this team...I have been running the 3-5-2 hoping to control the mid better but that is not helping, I am going back to the 3-4-3 and keeping it that way hoping to score as much as possible.

Higgs will get into this game, I promise you that much, it will more than likely be off the bench though.

Kevin Ingram will be our referee and he has only called one game....handed out 3 yellows..we will keep it even, not overly aggressive and not to light..

Quote:
Diss Town 0 - 2 Ipswich Wanderers (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town will be wondering what might have been this morning after a close encounter with Ipswich Wanderers turned into a 2 - 0 victory for their opponents.

Ipswich Wanderers finally took the lead when winger Jamie Stimson scored a close range effort in the 45th minute. Centre-back Mick Mitchell completed the scoring for Ipswich Wanderers with a fine header from pointblank range in the 68th minute.

Attendance: 167

What a rough game...Guys were tired, worn out and the challenges were brutal, both teams saw a total of 4 injuries or knocks,

Ben Baptist was a sub that came on and took the worst of the day, he is out for 3 weeks.

Reeves has been a desert as a forward and made a comment he will end the drought...I hope so, we need to badly.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-22-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I sit with our staff and try to figure out our squad and we are strong. Tom has been sitting on the edge of his seat waiting to say something and I finally look at him with some hesitation I speak..

"Well Tom, you can't contain yourself what is it?"

"Dennis, listen up I feel our team is solid in all places except in Goal we have some talent grooming but that is it grooming. I have 3 keepers we need to check on and I am assuredly one of them will fill the position."

I look them over and assign them out between Tom, Phil and our scout David.

Getting back I look at the report cards on these three players and for some reasons Tom's comes across as a must...so I have David give him a ring and make an offer, let's see how this pans out.

Coming up is a match away at Great Yarmouth.....sounds like a funny cartoon character..

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-14-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #31
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well here we go again...I am working on the lineup for tomorrow's match, trying to figure out...the Physio Greg Lewin informed me our vet Ben Baptist is out with a sprained wrist for at least 10 days, he offered to go the injection route however been hasn't been critical for us for a bit so no need to.

The referee will be Ryan Bray and he hasn't been involved in a EC match yet so we will see how he pans out for us. Harrison has the Flu and will not be playing while Reeves has some confidence issues right now so I want to bring him off the bench at the Striker spot and get Higgs in up front. I think I am going to be forced to run a 5-4-1 or a 4-5-1 for this match.

One thing about Great Yarmouth is we are picked to destroy them because they are coachless...I still think a player coach can work wonders for teams and this is what we have..hopefully this isn't a cohesive team of player/coaches.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-22-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Great Yarmouth (EC1, Away)

Note: Some of the above posts have been modified, I forgot to save the game last time I played (I thought it autosaved and it didn't)

We come into the game running a modified 4-5-1 with Higgs playing the Forward.

Quote:
Great Yarmouth Town 2 - 0 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town were on the end of a deserved defeat at Wellesley Recreation Ground as they were completely outplayed by their opponents.

Midfielder Colin Morris got Great Yarmouth off to a flying start by scoring a header in the 7th minute. Striker Daniel Smith finally rounded off their victory in the 60th minute with an effort from the edge of the area.

Attendance: 188

Not much we can do, but try and figure this one out...I think the 3-4-3 is where we need to stick, and I will do that from here on out.

I am almost wondering if my coach isn't helping out as much as I hoped.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Great Yarmouth (EC League Cup, Away)

It's funny, I have to laugh as we are picks as favorites despite the showing we put up against Yarmouth in our last match.

It's time to stick with a 3-4-3 and keep it that way for the rest of the season. I promoted 2 young Midfielders that look like they can be very beneficial to us, Tommy Jones and Brian Frampton. Frampton has been tearing up the U-18's lately so I think it is needed.

I am also demoting some players to reserves and sending a few youngsters that haven't panned out up here back to the U-18.

When it was all said and done we only sent down 2 players that had seen some playing time.

Quote:
Great Yarmouth Town 2 - 0 Diss Town (Eastern Counties League Cup Qual.Rnd)

Diss Town were on the end of a deserved defeat at Wellesley Recreation Ground as they were completely outplayed by their opponents.

The first incident of note was on 43 minutes as Great Yarmouth were denied claims by Colin Morris for a penalty. Great Yarmouth finally took the lead when winger John Morrison scored a good header from just inside the six yard box in the 52nd minute. An error from Tom Botley allowed young striker Richard Girling to score an effort from the edge of the area.

Attendance: 106

This team is just not meshing, players are not giving it their all...I had a play were one of them a veteran walked towards the ball and didn't run, he wasn't injured, exhausted or a knock, that kind of effort is going to kill us.

I let the papers know I was pissed about the loss and they knew it, my players knew it.

We get to focus on promotion and have to win here on out, we have a match in 3 days and I don't know if this team will be ready, but I will tell you this much, it's time to shake things up.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-23-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am thinking this might be my assistants last email to me our philosophies just aren't cohesive together, Tom keeps bringing up being a defensive squad, I like defense, it's fine but I want a solid attack with a solid defense and he could care less about the attack.

Here is our October Schedule:

Quote:

3.10.2009 - Thrapston Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
3.10.2009 - Diss v Stowmarket (Eastern Counties D1)
3.10.2009 - England Under 20s v Uruguay Under 20s (U20 World Cup)
7.10.2009 - Hungary Under 19s v England Under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
7.10.2009 - Long Melford v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
9.10.2009 - England Under 19s v Montenegro Under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
9.10.2009 - England Under 21s v Lithuania Under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
10.10.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Boston Town Under 18s
10.10.2009 - North Walsham v Diss (Norfolk Senior Cup)
10.10.2009 - Ukraine v England (World Cup Quals (EUR))
11.10.2009 - Norfolk County FA Senior Cup Fourth Round Draw
11.10.2009 - Bulgaria Under 19s v England Under 19s (Euro U19 Ch'ship Quals)
13.10.2009 - Slovenia Under 21s v England Under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
14.10.2009 - England v Belarus (World Cup Quals (EUR))
17.10.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Holbeach Under 18s
17.10.2009 - Halstead v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
24.10.2009 - Ely Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
24.10.2009 - Diss v Swaffham (Eastern Counties D1)
31.10.2009 - Diss v Saffron Walden (Eastern Counties D1)

Before I let Tom go I get on the phone with Davies our scout and tell him to search out for a talented coach and we found one in Phil Walker, we promptly make an offer to him and call up Tom and let him know we are going in a different direction.

Speaking with the board they are happy with me, but the fans sent some mail to me...it wasn't the nicest out there, who can blame them though.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-23-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #35
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Stowmarket (EC1, Home)

Sitting at 10th on the ladder, I did not expect to be this low after a decent start but we will work it out and I think the man to help me is Phil Walker, he came right in and has provided some great advice for us.

I am still going to run a 3-4-3 and he is amazing for training our guys it's almost a night and day difference between assistants here.

We are favorites for this match against Stowmarket, but we know how that pans out.

After our Pre-Match presser I saw this in the paper the morning of the match.

Quote:
Thomas Dennis appeared in an equivocal mood as he met journalists ahead of Diss Town's match against Stowmarket Town in the English Eastern Counties League Division One.

The Diss Soccer Informer chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Corey Wiltshire asking, "Tom Botley has come in for some criticism from your fans recently. Do you agree with those who have been less than kind about his recent performances?"

Dennis' response was, "I think that's a little harsh."

It could well be however that Dennis' words will elicit a positive response from Tom Botley.

Getting ready for the match I let the boys know we can win this one and we head out to the game.

Quote:
Diss Town 3 - 1 Stowmarket Town (Eastern Counties D1)

An efficient performance from Diss earned them a 3 - 1 win over Stowmarket Town at Brewers Green Lane.

Striker Ryan Harrison got Diss off to a flying start by scoring a real poacher's effort in the 3rd minute. Centre-back Jason Houghton doubled Diss' lead with a well timed close range finish in the 31st minute. Greene had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Lynn gave up a penalty.

Stowmarket captain Michael Rogers managed to grab the consolation for Stowmarket in the 72nd minute with a powerful effort.

Attendance: 117

What a game, it was nice to see Harrison finally net a goal after a long drought, Greene has been money in PK's and Houghton has been a pleasant surprise at defender when I move him up.

Quote:
The relief on Ryan Harrison's face was plain to see as the Diss Town striker ended his goal drought at Brewers Green Lane on Saturday.

Harrison had previously played over eleven hours of competitive soccer without a goal before his 3rd minute strike against Stowmarket Town.

Quote:
A display of attacking soccer saw Jason Houghton pick up the man of the match award during Diss' 3 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Stowmarket this afternoon.

The Diss central defender enjoyed a good game for his team and more than deserved his goal.

Houghton has looked to establish himself at Brewers Green Lane this season and the central defender has been ever-present for The Tangerines so far this season.

And Phil Walker comes in with a bang, he helped us immensely in the two days he joined before this match and having the same offensive philosophy I do has helped.

One thing I am noticing is our fitness level sucks, we are wearing out at the end of the games and letting goals in.

The post match presser was just crazy and they got pushy wanting to know if we were going to bring in any players, once I finally told them I wasn't going to answer the question twice and he pushed it a 3rd time and I told him.."How about this, see if you can understand no....damn.....comment." and walked away from the podium.

I was shocked at the paper the next day, it was nice...

Quote:
Thomas Dennis appeared in an equivocal mood as he met journalists in the wake of Diss' 3 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Stowmarket.

The Stowmarket Soccer Free Press chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Dean Baker asking, "Ryan Harrison's goal gave you an early lead today. Did you feel at that point that things would go well for your team?"

Dennis' response was, "An early goal is always a bonus and it helped us on our way."

The win moved us up 3 spots in the ladder to 7th, which is a sole possession and we are not sharing it.

Coming up as an EC1 away match with Long Melford who sits at 13th on the ladder.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-23-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ipswich Wanderers pile up the wins in record-breaking fashion

I received this little gem from Phil on my desk today, the sad part about it is we were one of the wins for them...

Quote:
Ipswich Wanderers pile up the wins in record-breaking fashion

Ipswich Wanderers' six games won in a row between Wednesday 2nd September 2009 and Saturday 3rd October 2009 is a new English Eastern Counties League Division One record.

Well, they lead the League and we need to shoot for them big time.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #37
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Long Melford (EC1, Away)

Well, no pre match presser here and if we do I think I will give Phil a crack at the media.

As for the referree of the match it's Darren Culverhouse who only threw 1 yellow down in our match against Ipswich, I think we might go a bit aggressive here in this game.

Quote:
Long Melford 0 - 0 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town could count themselves somewhat fortunate to have escaped with a draw against Long Melford in their English Eastern Counties League Division One game at Stoneylands.

Diss were often prevented from playing as they wanted to due to the number of fouls committed by their enthusiastic opponents

Attendance: 149

It was a rough game on both sides but they clearly were more aggressive than we were, I should have let up on the tackles and let them get additional cards, there were a ton more verbal warnings than I have seen in any match but then on top of that he threw his yellow card at us and Houghton.

I was happy with the draw it's better than a loss but I know we should have won this one.

The draw gave us a point, we dropped to 8th in the ladder but we are now tied with 4 other clubs.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-23-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright, I have had two aging vets in the reserves bitching about PT...they got their papers and are looking for a job.

Coming up is our Norfolk Senior Cup game against North Walsham at their home...yes another away game, another 3 days of rest...they are starting to get used to it now.

I am slowly seeing an improvement with training as well so Phil is hooking us up there too.

We are picked as favorites for the match and I don't like it.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #39
MacroGuru
Coordinator

North Walsham (Norfolk Senior Cup, Away)

Well, we have an unknown with Kieran Chandler at ref and it's the first time we play in horrible weather too so we have two unknowns heading into this match, don't count me enthused.

Quote:
North Walsham Town 1 - 1 Diss Town (Norfolk Senior Cup 3rd Rnd)

After a 1 - 1 draw at North Walsham Stadium against Diss Town, a key member of North Walsham Town claimed that his team were fortunate to escape from this Norfolk County FA Senior Cup Third Round game with a draw.

Midfielder Paddy Mumbley's red card for a vicious foul in the 45th minute put Diss' position under question. North Walsham finally took the lead when player David Dawson scored an effort from the edge of the area in the 48th minute.

Player Gary Shilton's red card for persistent fouling in the 89th minute put North Walsham's position under question. With North Walsham already beginning to celebrate, striker Michael Reeves dramatically scored a placed shot from close range in injury time to snatch the equalizer for Diss.

Better late than never for Diss and the fans were clearly delighted with Reeves' impact.

Attendance: 74

You have got to be kidding me, I hate it when a ref determines the outcome of the game. He was letting some brutal stuff go in the first 40 minutes of the game including two rough tackles that injured a forward and a midfielder (Higgs and Allen) that forced me to sub early on...then when the Red Card went up in the 45th minute I had to sub right off the bat in the 2nd half to set my team up for the ability to attack.

At that point I changed and told the guys to watch their tackles and that helped out as they started racking up yellows and eventually they got their second yellow on a player that evened out the pitch, the minute that happened we were good and Reeves finally nailed one home.

Quote:
The relief on Michael Reeves' face was plain to see as the Diss Town striker ended his goal drought at Diss Stadium on Saturday.

Reeves had previously played over ten hours of competitive soccer without a goal before his 90th minute strike against North Walsham Town.

As for Paddy, I am appealing his suspension and I am taking game film and showing them what went on in the first half of the match...

Quote:
Diss Town's midfielder Paddy Mumbley has been given an automatic one match suspension after being sent off in the Norfolk Senior Cup match against North Walsham.

The suspension will apply for all English domestic competitions and will start on Saturday 10th October 2009.

A disciplinary committee will be meeting on Saturday 17th October 2009 and may decide to extend the suspension.

Well we are still in a cup...it makes me happy and the replay is 3 days away at home and I think we can pull this one out.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #40
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The Norfolk Senior Cup 4th Round Draw happened today if we win against North Walsham we will play Horsford United.

Well I figured this would happen but I had to give it a shot...

Quote:
The FA disciplinary committee have considered your appeal against Paddy Mumbley's suspension.

They have ruled that you did not have valid grounds for appeal and have upheld the player's one match suspension.

Basically to me this was a stuff it, we are always right reply.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #41
MacroGuru
Coordinator

North Walsham (Norfolk Senior Cup, Home, Replay)

One major thing I am noticing that Phil and even Tom have been telling me is the team isn't meshing together and I am trying to figure out what to do to help them become one.

Well, onto our Home game for North Walsham...

Quote:
Diss Town 1 - 0 North Walsham Town (Norfolk Senior Cup 3rd Rnd)

Diss Town taught North Walsham Town a lesson at Brewers Green Lane this afternoon.

An error from Liam Bowyer allowed striker Ryan Harrison to score an effort from the edge of the area.

Diss were often prevented from playing as they wanted to due to the number of fouls committed by their enthusiastic opponents

Attendance: 119

Solid game where we pulled back to cautious with our tackling after seeing in the first 15 minutes how the ref was calling the game. That helped us out majorly as we started getting free kick after free kick which set us up for the win.

Our next match is an away game against Halstead who is currently tied in points with us. To me, this match is a must win.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #42
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Halstead (EC1, Away)

heading into our match we are picked to lose 1-0 although it's admitted we can go either way.

Again we are sticking with 3-4-3 I like this attacking formation and Phil agrees with me.

Quote:
Halstead Town 1 - 2 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town won a hard fought battle against Halstead Town on a fine autumn afternoon at Rosemary Lane. Two goals from Robbie Harris helped Diss to victory.

Forward Robbie Harris gave Diss the lead with a good header from just inside the six yard box in the 25th minute. Young striker Harry Thomas then equalized for Halstead in the 79th minute with a real poacher's effort.

Harris clinched the winner for the away team in the 85th minute with a real poacher's effort. Harris' impact delighted the fans with his late goal.

Attendance: 167

What a great game it was close at times but we played a touch better. Our strikers had quite a few shots some from long range and our dribbling is atrocious but we are winning.

Harris ended his drought and did it in style scoring both goals for us in this match and taking home Man of the Match honors.

Quote:
Robbie Harris had a fine game this afternoon during Diss' 2 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Halstead but it was a tight match that could really have gone either way.

Harris had the quality to put the Halstead Town defense to the sword and finished the match with two goals.

Harris is a new signing at Brewers Green Lane, having joined from injury-ravaged Dereham in September.

And I am trying to figure out the following press release that hit about me.

Quote:
Dennis goes bargain hunting

New Diss boss Dennis Thomas has wasted no time in bringing fresh faces to Brewers Green Lane since his arrival at the club in July.

The current manager has signed no less than five players on free transfers and looks to be adept at raiding the transfer market for bargains.

So is he saying I am good at finding diamonds in the rough? Or is he saying I am a cheapskate? Or am I working the transfer market to much or not enough?

And then the ultimate news was dropped today as the FA finally announced their decision on the length of suspension for Paddy on his Red Card from the Norfolk Senior Cup...and it was 2 games...this hurts but will allow some of the youth to get PT in the MF.

Quote:
Diss Town's midfielder Paddy Mumbley has been given a two match suspension after being sent off in the Norfolk Senior Cup match against North Walsham.

The suspension will apply for all English domestic competitions and will start on Saturday 17th October 2009.

You have decided not to appeal against this suspension.

Well, with the win we move up to 7th with 14 points, however we are tied with Great Yarmouth and Thetford. Looks like that weak club of Great Yarmouth is continuing to play well.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:50 AM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

How are your guys holding up fatigue wise with the multitude of cup competitions in the leagues? I have had to send 3 guys home for rests due to fatigue so far.

Plus my pitch is nothing but bare dirt in both penalty areas and around the entire midfield circle. BTW I really love this feature, it is really cool to see your pitch deteriorate as the season progresses.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #44
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
How are your guys holding up fatigue wise with the multitude of cup competitions in the leagues? I have had to send 3 guys home for rests due to fatigue so far.

Plus my pitch is nothing but bare dirt in both penalty areas and around the entire midfield circle. BTW I really love this feature, it is really cool to see your pitch deteriorate as the season progresses.

My older guys have been wearing down the most nothing major but I am keeping a ton of depth moving youth between the 3 clubs and helping out that way. Some of the vets are getting PT time but I also think I wasn't focusing a lot on training, I just created a personal training program for the 4 areas of the field and I am running them on a medium intensity so we will see how that fits.

As I am thinking though I am tending to see some injuries happen to my older more tired guys more than I do the younger ones...I also won't hesitate to sub up to 2 subs early if guys get a knock, injury or exhausted.

I haven't had enough games at home to see it wear out but I did widen the field this season so we will see how it becomes here soon.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #45
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Swaffham (EC1, Home)

Our next match we welcome Swaffham into Brewers Green Lane and we are picked to win.

The referee for the match is Paul Simmonds, he appears to be a little more strict calling on avg 3.6 yellow cards per game the past 10 games and .6 red cards.

We are still going to run our 3-4-3 but we are without Paddy Mumbley for the next 2 matches, I think we have the depth to handle it.

I meet the press for the pre match game....

Quote:
Thomas Dennis appeared in an equivocal mood as he met journalists ahead of Diss Town's match against Swaffham Town in the English Eastern Counties League Division One.

The Diss Soccer Informer chose the main focus point for the conference with journalist Corey Wiltshire asking, "You could make a real statement about your intentions in this match and go on the attack from the opening whistle. How will you approach this game?"

Dennis' response was, "I am looking to play an open, free-flowing attacking game."

It is thought that the Diss squad should react well to Dennis' handling of the question.

Well onto the match..there is a slight drizzle for the day...I am starting Steve, he is in a goal drought but I think he can pull this one off. I also planted Nick French our young GK in so Cobb can get a rest...

Quote:
Diss in control as Pedlars are brushed aside
Diss Town 1 - 0 Swaffham Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town battled to a deserved 1 - 0 victory over Swaffham Town on a fine autumn afternoon in their English Eastern Counties League Division One game at Brewers Green Lane.

Winger Mick Cousins had a chance to score from the penalty spot for The Tangerines in the 54th minute, but missed the attempt. An error from Ryan Carbon allowed forward Robbie Harris to score a real poacher's effort.

Attendance: 155

What a great game and honestly it should have been by more than 1, we had some great rebound shots taking place that their keeper and fullback kept out of the net.

Our defense did just enough to force the long shots and keep clearing the corner kicks out.

Harris is starting to shine as the striker I knew he would be,

Quote:
A man of the match performance from Robbie Harris proved just enough to lighten a dull game during Diss' 1 - 0 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Swaffham, according to the Diss Soccer Informer.

The 25 year-old Diss forward got himself on the scoresheet and could perhaps have added another had it not been for the assistant referee's flag.

Harris is a new signing at Brewers Green Lane, having joined from managerless Dereham in September.

And one thing I wasn't keeping to much track of but the press is...

Quote:
Diss Town have extended their unbeaten record in the Eastern Counties D1 to four games following their 1 - 0 result against Swaffham Town.

The Tangerines have started the season reasonably, finding themselves comfortably positioned in the top half as many analysts predicted preseason.

Strong recent performances will give plenty of encouragement to the team's faithful that they can move further up the table as the season progresses.

Not bad, 4 wins in a row sitting at 6th in the ladder tied with Thetford at 17 points. Meanwhile the top 3 spots have 23+ points, it's going to be tough to get up there but it can happen.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-24-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #46
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Wow...the emails keep piling up with praise and the latest when you add in the Cup win, we are sitting at 6 wins straight..

Quote:
Diss' six games unbeaten from Saturday 3rd October 2009 is a new record.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #47
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Saffron Walden (EC1, Home)

Alright a home game against Saffron Walden.

Paul Simmonds is refereeing this match, we had him in our Swaffham game where he let the play get rough and called 1 penalty against the home team and we won 1-0 on the PK.

We are picked as underdogs for this one and I like that role. We will stick with the 3-4-3 and Cobb in at GK. My pep talk at the beginning wasn't anything major but I told them if we keep it up, we can definitely win this one.

Quote:
Quality of possession provides victory
Diss Town 2 - 0 Saffron Walden Town (Eastern Counties D1)

A highly polished performance from the Diss Town players saw their team earn a 2 - 0 win over Saffron Walden Town at Brewers Green Lane. The match was certainly not one for the purists with neither team able to keep the errors out of their game.

Things did not get off to a good start for Saffron Walden as striker Michael Reeves seized on an error by John Harrison to score a real poacher's effort. Young centre-back Elliot Greene had a chance to score from the penalty spot for The Tangerines in the 43rd minute, but missed the attempt. Greene had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Hibbert gave up a penalty.

Attendance: 154

Wow Simmonds swung the other way today and did not allow the violent play, as soon as Harrison got his yellow card for taking a dive with 11 minutes in I yelled out to be cautious in our tackling, it helped a lot as the other team came across as thugs with their agressive play with Simmonds awarding us 2 PK's, Greene nailed one and sent the other above the crossbar.

We looked the most oriented as far as a team and our play in this game dominating the possession though.

Quote:
A display of attacking soccer saw Michael Reeves pick up the man of the match award during Diss' 2 - 0 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Saffron Walden this afternoon.

Reeves' pace and skill on the ball was a constant threat to the Saffron Walden Town defense and the striker thoroughly deserved his goal.

Reeves has featured on a regular basis for the Diss first team so far this season, making thirteen appearances.

Reeves wins MoM due to his goal, he was fast and constantly pushing the other team into mistakes.

With this win we move up into 5th with 20 points tied with Thetford and only 4 points away from 1st place.

You know whats scary is we have 7 straight wins and I can only attribute it to Phil Walker my phenom at assistant who I do not think I will be able to keep here next season.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #48
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Rolling into November Phil has dropped the following schedule on my desk...

Quote:
Assistant coach Phil Walker has reminded you of some important dates in the month ahead:

7.11.2009 - Swaffham Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
7.11.2009 - March v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
13.11.2009 - Liechtenstein Under 21s v England Under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
14.11.2009 - Diss Under 18s v Downham Under 18s
14.11.2009 - England v Brazil (Friendly)
14.11.2009 - Diss v Godmanchester (Eastern Counties D1)
17.11.2009 - England Under 21s v Poland Under 21s (Euro U21 Ch'ship Quals)
18.11.2009 - Thetford v Diss (Eastern Counties D1)
21.11.2009 - Horsford Utd v Diss (Norfolk Senior Cup)
28.11.2009 - March Under 18s v Diss Under 18s
28.11.2009 - Diss v Downham (Eastern Counties D1)

Look at that, 11 days until our next match, the boys won't know what to do...although I think that will allow enough time to see if the new training program I designed is working.

One thing that pissed me off was the October Boss Award went to March Town and their manager Wiles for his...get this...4 wins in March...I equaled that and I was not even in consideration for this one.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-26-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #49
MacroGuru
Coordinator

March (EC1, Away)

Well, we play the 2nd ranked team with 24 points (Tied with Ipswich and Gorleston) and we have a healthy, well rested squad.

Rumor has it March has been playing above expectations all season long and it's time for them to fall from grace and we are the team to make it happen. How the hell can we come in favorites for a team that's ahead of us in the ladder?

The ref for the match will be Ben Holden, he has yet to call an EC1 game, however in his past 10 matches he hasn't called a PK, he has 1.8 yellow flags a match but according to his rating he has never received higher than a 6.

We will come out in the 3-4-3 and attack like we always do. Based upon Phil's analysis of March we are screwed. The play well against teams who play wide and up tempo games, which we do. March is also one of the rare teams straying from the 4-4-2 and play a 3-5-2.

Quote:
Honors even at The G.E.R. Sports Ground
March Town United 0 - 0 Diss Town (Eastern Counties D1)

Diss Town were held to a draw by March Town United in a close-fought Eastern Counties D1 match played at The G.E.R. Sports Ground.

The first incident of note was on 43 minutes as Diss were denied claims by Michael Reeves for a penalty.

Diss were carved open a number of times but despite the ability of their opponents to create chances, they struggled to put them away.

Attendance: 177

Wow, what a brutal game and honestly we were lucky to come out with the draw. Although we dominated the 2nd half more than they did and should have had a few goals there. Ref Ben Holden went WAY, and I mean WAY outside his 1.8 avg and pulled the yellow card out 8 times this match with 5 of them in the first half and received a 9 rating. I was happy to get a point even though it dropped us down 1 to 6th place.

Cobb did not look well between the posts and I might bring in French for the next match.

Quote:
Diss Town have extended their unbeaten record in the Eastern Counties D1 to six games following their 0 - 0 result against March Town United.

The Tangerines have started the season reasonably, finding themselves comfortably positioned in the top half as many analysts predicted preseason.

Strong recent performances will give plenty of encouragement to the team's faithful that they can move further up the table as the season progresses.

I am still pleased here...although it wasn't a win...still we are undefeated 7 games straight.

We get another week long break before our next match.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Godmanchester (EC1, Home)

We play Godmanchester at home during a downpour. That is not going to be healthy for our field.

Phil Sharp is our ref and he hasn't called an EC1 game yet although his yellow card avg in the last 10 games is 3.2 so I will approach this cautious with our tackling.

I also placed Barwick and Roberts on Free Transfers and offered them out to clubs I just didn't think it was fair to them to have them rot in our reserves as I am bringing in more talent and I was immediately flooded with over 100 offers between the 2 players. I figured I would have the secretary, Phil and myself place calls and accept all offers and allow the players to determine where they wanted to play, who knows one of them might get paid to play soccer.

We are continuing to play our 3-4-3 and French will sit in at Keeper for us.

Quote:
Quality of possession provides victory
Diss Town 3 - 1 Godmanchester Rovers (Eastern Counties D1)

An efficient performance from Diss earned them a 3 - 1 win over Godmanchester Rovers at Brewers Green Lane.

Allen had no trouble in scoring from the spot when Ellis gave up a penalty. Young centre-back Stuart Flood then equalized for Godmanchester in the 19th minute with a real poacher's effort. An error from Peter Ruddy allowed centre-back Jason Houghton to score a close range effort.

Flood summed up his team's performance by nearly gifting Diss another goal in the 81st minute. Young striker Steve Higgs completed the scoring for Diss with a real poacher's effort in the 89th minute.

Attendance: 147

What a great game, Godmanchester was a little rough out there hence the PK we were given in the box which Chris Allen knocked home. Houghton came up from the defense and nailed a shot in from the top of the box and he played an amazing game. Higgs ends up scoring finally instead of being the assistman he has been he nets one as well.

Quote:
A display of attacking soccer saw Jason Houghton pick up the man of the match award during Diss' 3 - 1 English Eastern Counties League Division One victory over Godmanchester this afternoon.

The Diss central defender enjoyed a good game for his team and more than deserved his goal.

Houghton has been good for Diss so far this season, also aiding his team's cause with two goals.

Relief and happiness were the buzzwords for Steve Higgs on Saturday as the Diss Town striker finally scored his first goal for the club at Brewers Green Lane.

Higgs had previously played over thirteen hours of soccer without a goal before his 89th minute strike against Godmanchester Rovers ended his luckless streak.

Lastly, we continue our unbeaten streak...

Quote:
Diss Town have extended their unbeaten record in the Eastern Counties D1 to seven games following their 3 - 1 result against Godmanchester Rovers.

With much of the season gone The Tangerines find themselves sitting comfortably in the top half of the league - a position the bookmakers firmly expected them to claim back in preseason.

Having put in some excellent displays in recent matches, the team and its fans still hold out hope of being involved further up the table.

We sit in 4th place at 24 points tied with Thetford while March, Ipswich and Gorleston are 1,2,3 respectively with 28 points.

We play away at Thetford 4 days from now and I think this is going to test our resolved..I also bumped up the training intensity and received a few players bitching about it so I knocked it back down..but it is helping, especially the younger guys.