Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2023, 08:10 PM   #1
jaredm
n00b

Modified 2023 roster for FOF9

The default 2023 roster does not have attribute ratings for the vast majority of players. Each player has an overall rating, and attributes are generated from that rating. With that comes some variability. In any game, Tyreek Hill will be a good WR, but he may not necessarily be a fast WR. Justin Tucker will be "starting quality", but not necessarily a top kicker.

I've modified the 2023 roster to provide ratings for the players currently in the 2023 roster. Without going into too much detail, I estimated the statistical distributions of player ratings at each position in FOF9. I then created formulas to convert player ratings from other sources to FOF9, with the goal of having rating distributions that reflected FOF9-generated rosters.

As of right now, there are nearly full ratings for about 2000 players. This modded roster should add a bit more flavor to the game (now, Justin Tucker is a really good kicker; Tyreek Hill is a fast receiver, etc.). Statistics from multiple sims using this modded roster generate stats that are similar to the default roster.

To install, go to the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Front Office Football Nine\default_data

Find the files 2023_players.csv and 2023_quarterbacks.csv, and rename them to something like 2023_players_orig.csv (to keep your copy of the original roster, in case you need it). Then drop the two files linked below into the folder above.

This is a first draft, so I welcome any comments, especially about sim stats, ratings distributions, etc. (i.e., RBs seem too slow, sim stats are off in the following way). If you have an issue with a specific player's rating, this is a conversion from another source with a hint of randomness. Everything here comes from the formulas.

Hope you enjoy.

2023_players.csv
2023_quarterbacks.csv

jaredm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:34 PM   #2
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Great stuff! Thank you for doing this.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #3
burnum
n00b

Great work, thank you!

Just a quick question: In your file there are now some players whose overall rating (column AL in the players file, column AK in the QB file) is 10. Aren't these out of a 1-9 scale, which would make 10 impossible?
burnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
jaredm
n00b

The overall ratings are unchanged from the original 2023 roster file that comes with the game. They are ignored for attribute ratings unless the attribute rating is "-1", then I believe the overall rating is used.

10 means "The player is below replacement quality for his position, and will only be placed on a team at the start of a new universe if he's needed to fill a roster."
Old 11-17-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
KleineBiere
n00b

Thanks

After simming 2023 20 times

Kupp

KleineBiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 12:00 PM   #6
jaredm
n00b

Thanks for running the sims. These numbers look pretty solid. Other comments or sim results are welcome.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:40 AM   #7
KleineBiere
n00b

Version 9.0c - 25 sims

Old 11-21-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
jaredm
n00b

The completion percentages seem a few ticks high - though it'd be good to compare this to the default roster file. Do you have the overall league passing averages for those 25 simmed seasons?
Old 11-21-2023, 10:53 PM   #9
KleineBiere
n00b

Unfortunately not. But in 2023 the numbers are higher than in the other years.

Old 11-22-2023, 08:48 AM   #10
jaredm
n00b

Thanks. I've done some sims - completion percentages are about 1.5-2% higher in this revised roster vs. the default roster with the game. It's a little tough to figure out the distributions of players ratings generated by FOF9 from the default roster, as I can't find a way to output player ratings to a file (so I'm guestimating based on the distributions of the ratings show in-game, which is not ideal). If anyone figures out a way to output the actual ratings from a save, let me know.

I have a few ideas about where the ratings are too high - will work on this after the holiday and put out a new, better-tested, roster.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #11
jaredm
n00b

The new, updated version of the roster is now out - see the links in the first post.

For those who want offensive statistics to mimic the NFL a little better than the default roster in-game, this version is solid. As an example, I simmed the first season about 10 times - the average completion percentage was 64.5%, yards per passing attempt were 6.97, and rushing yards/carry were 4.20, which is close to the league averages over the last few years. (Completion percentages in the default file are about 2% higher on average.)

All comments and criticisms are welcome.
Old 12-11-2023, 06:35 AM   #12
Mbbmets1
n00b

Help

Not sure why.. I downloaded these csv threw them in that file area

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Front Office Football Nine\default_data

And it keep saying while I load it from the custom file that I need a info file ...
Mbbmets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 07:17 AM   #13
Mbbmets1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredm View Post
The default 2023 roster does not have attribute ratings for the vast majority of players. Each player has an overall rating, and attributes are generated from that rating. With that comes some variability. In any game, Tyreek Hill will be a good WR, but he may not necessarily be a fast WR. Justin Tucker will be "starting quality", but not necessarily a top kicker.

I've modified the 2023 roster to provide ratings for the players currently in the 2023 roster. Without going into too much detail, I estimated the statistical distributions of player ratings at each position in FOF9. I then created formulas to convert player ratings from other sources to FOF9, with the goal of having rating distributions that reflected FOF9-generated rosters.

As of right now, there are nearly full ratings for about 2000 players. This modded roster should add a bit more flavor to the game (now, Justin Tucker is a really good kicker; Tyreek Hill is a fast receiver, etc.). Statistics from multiple sims using this modded roster generate stats that are similar to the default roster.

Find the files 2023_players.csv and 2023_quarterbacks.csv, and rename them to something like 2023_players_orig.csv (to keep your copy of the original roster, in case you need it). Then drop the two files linked below into the folder above.

This is a first draft, so I welcome any comments, especially about sim stats, ratings distributions, etc. (i.e., RBs seem too slow, sim stats are off in the following way). If you have an issue with a specific player's rating, this is a conversion from another source with a hint of randomness. Everything here comes from the formulas.

Hope you enjoy.

2023_players.csv
2023_quarterbacks.csv
I have tried this now like nine times can you explain step by step the direction. I put it into that file. I then went to custom upload it won't allow me to up load it?
Old 12-11-2023, 09:49 AM   #14
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbmets1 View Post

And it keep saying while I load it from the custom file that I need a info file ...

Go to the custom_example folder as well. IN there you will see an info file and the guide. Just create one that identifies the settings you want for your league and save it as the xxxx_info.csv file. That is the one you load when prompted.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:14 PM   #15
Mbbmets1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawlinsFan View Post
Go to the custom_example folder as well. IN there you will see an info file and the guide. Just create one that identifies the settings you want for your league and save it as the xxxx_info.csv file. That is the one you load when prompted.

I am confused do i named the file xxxx_info.csv

cause i tried loading these and it didnt work and was getting extremely frustrated.
Old 12-11-2023, 02:46 PM   #16
Mbbmets1
n00b

Again I download the excel tried to follow the directions and I dont know whati am doing wrong I usually can do this stuff.

I used the players above and it still wasnt populating for me. I can figure out how to get the info file from the excel above
Old 12-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #17
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

If you're doing what you're saying above, you don't want to start from a custom file. You're overwriting the default file, so you need to tick the box for Use Front Office Football Player File and choose the 2023 starting year.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:14 PM   #18
Mbbmets1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
If you're doing what you're saying above, you don't want to start from a custom file. You're overwriting the default file, so you need to tick the box for Use Front Office Football Player File and choose the 2023 starting year.

So what I did it dowloaded the file and the QB file and threw it in the area where i was told. Do i then delete the default?

Appreciate the help
Old 12-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #19
jaredm
n00b

There are two ways to do it. The first way:

1. Go to the following directory:

Rename the original rosters (currently named 2023_players.csv and 2023_quarterbacks.csv) to 2023_players_orig.csv and 2023_quarterbacks_orig.csv

2. Take the downloaded rosters and place them in the default_data folder.

3. When you start your universe, leave "Use Front Office Football Player File" checked (with a 2023 start date). Because you've uploaded roster files with the same name, the game will start with the revised rosters.

There is a second method (which is what NawlinsFan is referring to) that involves using the custom_example folder. My method doesn't do that (as you don't need to create a xxxx_info.csv file) but will also work as long as you create a relevant xxxx_info.csv file.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #20
Mbbmets1
n00b

So in the easy method of just adding it to the default. I add both the Quarterbacks players if i am correct?
Old 12-11-2023, 05:01 PM   #21
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So in the easy method of just adding it to the default. I add both the Quarterbacks players if i am correct?

Yes, this would overwrite the ones provided with the game install.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 05:08 PM   #22
RyanRealNice
n00b

Hey Guys, thanks for the roster, So i have installed it as you instructed, and for instance Tyreek Hill, in one test he was 96 speed, I started a new save and he was 92 speed. Is this correct that the players stats will still load at random but favour stats they are good in IRL? Or should the database have the same stats each time you start a new universe?
RyanRealNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 03:51 PM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRealNice View Post
Hey Guys, thanks for the roster, So i have installed it as you instructed, and for instance Tyreek Hill, in one test he was 96 speed, I started a new save and he was 92 speed. Is this correct that the players stats will still load at random but favour stats they are good in IRL? Or should the database have the same stats each time you start a new universe?

They will always be somewhat random

Last edited by korme : 02-08-2024 at 03:52 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:09 AM   #24
jaredm
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRealNice View Post

If this is like past games (and you don't have X-Factor enable) I believe that the rating of the player is the same. However, the rating you see in game comes from your team's evaluation of the player - so there will be a little bit of variation based on your team's scouting.