Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
Bryan74
n00b

IR rules and practice squad.

I'm new to the series and actually pretty impressed by the game's sim engine. Most realistic interpretation of NFL football I've seen out there. I really have no complaints besides these two

Old IR system.

With the outdated IR system that's currently in the game. I know I'm not the only one who could really use those roster spots, but don't want to deactivate a player for 8 weeks when he's only gonna need 3 or 4 weeks. I mean a lot of the major injuries I've seen come from rushing a player back before he's full strength.

No practice squad.
Man, how helpful this could be. With injuries the way they are. This could prove to be super useful.

I don't know how active the publisher is in doing updates or whatnot. Just wondering if any of you know if this is something that may be on the horizon?

Bryan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 05:32 AM   #2
cupofjoe
n00b

The developer is active with regular updates/patched. However, I feel like this is not something they will be updated in FOF9. If he does it, it’ll probably be in FOF10
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:56 AM   #3
Dutch
"Dutch"

I would love to have a properly implemented practice squad feature. But I'm not sure we'll see one anytime soon. Here's why I believe that.

if I recall correctly, Jim (or one of the experienced members of the FOF community) mentioned a long time ago that Jim was concerned that a practice squad would ultimately become an exercise in the knowledgeable human player squirrelling away the best available free agents from the AI league and thus limiting the impact of injuries except for the AI teams. So, a decision in this case is likely tied to gameplay versus a rigid adherence to the NFL roster structure.

For MP it makes a lot of sense to implement a practice squad (so leagues could enable stronger injury settings), but I get this point (if accurate) for SP. Jim likely is weighing factors such as Time to Develop and Value Added to the gameplayer. So far, these two things haven't matched up.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I would love to have a properly implemented practice squad feature. But I'm not sure we'll see one anytime soon. Here's why I believe that.

if I recall correctly, Jim (or one of the experienced members of the FOF community) mentioned a long time ago that Jim was concerned that a practice squad would ultimately become an exercise in the knowledgeable human player squirrelling away the best available free agents from the AI league and thus limiting the impact of injuries except for the AI teams. So, a decision in this case is likely tied to gameplay versus a rigid adherence to the NFL roster structure.

For MP it makes a lot of sense to implement a practice squad (so leagues could enable stronger injury settings), but I get this point (if accurate) for SP. Jim likely is weighing factors such as Time to Develop and Value Added to the gameplayer. So far, these two things haven't matched up.

Could there not be some form of limiting the practice squads player ratings allowed? It wouldn't be realistic but would afford you to retain competent players that would br used as roster fodder for those instances when inuries impact your roster. Say a potential future rating of no higher then 45. I would think that would be possible.

I also thought there was a concern if it were to allow poaching from other teams and being able to implement that in both a single and MP version.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #5
henry296
College Starter

Jim made a comment that since Practice Squad players are essentially free agents and can be signed to any team's active roster he didn't think it was worth the effort. Consider the entire free agent pool as your practice squad.

As for IR being 8 weeks vs 4, I think that is a good piece of feedback to send to him and could be an easy fix.
Old 12-03-2023, 02:32 AM   #6
Bryan74
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Jim made a comment that since Practice Squad players are essentially free agents and can be signed to any team's active roster he didn't think it was worth the effort. Consider the entire free agent pool as your practice squad.

As for IR being 8 weeks vs 4, I think that is a good piece of feedback to send to him and could be an easy fix.

Where exactly would be the place to give Jim this feedback?
Bryan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 07:03 AM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Use the e-mail address customersupport @ solecismic . com
Old 12-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #8
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

Quote:

True but it is still somewhat of an immersion killer. I just had to cut an FB so I could bring on another TE because I lost one and couldn't fill that role. If not a practice squad then allow us to assign a player that role temporarily, i.e. an FB, RB or WR as the TE. You could keep it in the same grouping, OL, DL, etc.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #9
markdub2
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawlinsFan View Post
True but it is still somewhat of an immersion killer.

the other problem with the idea of using the FA pool as practice squad is that if you cut a guy midseason, you cant re-sign him later at any point... while in the NFL you see guys bounce around rosters/PS all the time
markdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #10
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Patch 9.0d - done!

Quote:
Change Injured Reserve rules to allow up to eight re-activations per season and a wait of four weeks or more to reactivate a player.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:00 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm glad to see/experience this. I'm playing as the Lions, and just had Goff go down in Week 16, Out for 4 weeks. I have the staff set to make minor roster decisions, and watched in horror as they put him on IR. My backup won the next two games and I got a bye, and Goff was 100% the week before the game, but still on IR. Luckily, he's back active now, just in time for the first playoff game.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote