Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Computer Set up Question (network access card)

I'm trying to install the high speed modem on my girlfriend's brand new computer. The software tells me there is no network access card. Should I be suprised by this? Is it really not there? How hard is it to install?

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

so it's missing the ethernet card? if so, it's a piece o cake. it just snaps right in.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

High speed modem being DSL or Cable?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #4
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
High speed modem being DSL or Cable?

It's cable. There is a jack in the back that the ethernet cable clicks into. I figured an ethernet card was pretty standard when I ordered this thing, so I didn't even look into it.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

The possibility of there not being a ethernet card in there is pretty good, a lot of places still sell comps with modem only unless you ask for an ethernet card. The ethernet card port is bigger than a phone jack (just makin sure you don't have one and it's not working correctly or something)
Old 02-11-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
DanGarion
Coordinator

If you just purchased the computer I'm 99% sure it would have a Network Interface Card installed in it. Especially if you were able to connect the ethernet cable from the cable modem to the computer. Considering you said it clicks in then that's an NIC/Network Interface Card/Ethernet Adapter.

Does a light turn on near where you plug it into the computer while the computer is on? What operating system are you running (I'm assuming Windows XP).

If it's XP one thing I have noticed is sometimes the network connection gets bridged for some god awful stupid reason.

Right click on My Network Places, hit properties, and then you should see an Local Area Connection (it should be the network card you can tell by putting the mouse over it and seeing what it says when the tool tip pops up). Anyway right click on it and make sure it's enabled and that bridge connection is NOT checked.

Also since this is a new computer shut down your computer and reset the cable modem (you have to reset the modem in order for it to allow a new device (computer, router, whatever) to connect to it).

Get me on AIM (DanGarion) if you are still having problems and I can see if I can assist.

(I work for a cable company doing tech support / supervising / training for this stuff )

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-11-2004 at 06:36 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I forgot the bit about restarting your comp and cycling the cable modem, that was my prob back in the day when I couldn't get mine to work at first.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
Does a light turn on near where you plug it into the computer while the computer is on? What operating system are you running (I'm assuming Windows XP).

If it's XP one thing I have noticed is sometimes the network connection gets bridged for some god awful stupid reason.

Right click on My Network Places, hit properties, and then you should see an Local Area Connection (it should be the network card you can tell by putting the mouse over it and seeing what it says when the tool tip pops up). Anyway right click on it and make sure it's enabled and that bridge connection is NOT checked.

Also since this is a new computer shut down your computer and reset the cable modem (you have to reset the modem in order for it to allow a new device (computer, router, whatever) to connect to it.

Get me on AIM (DanGarion) if you are still having problems and I can see if I can assist.

(I work for a cable company doing tech support / supervising / training for this stuff )

Yes, the light turned on.
Yes, Intel Pro/100 VE Network is what it says when I mouse over the Local Area Connection.

I've shut the computer down a few times. Everytime the stupid software from Cox tells me that there is no NIC. Could it be because the service isn't turned on yet?

I'll shut down, reset the modem and try again now.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

So it's new cable service? I'm not sure what their business practice is but we send out a tech and install the cable modem ourselves at TW. I think Cox lets you use your own modem if you want. I don't know how long the activation process takes. Has this modem worked prior to using it with this computer?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
DanGarion
Coordinator

If it's anything like the software we use all it does is verify you have a connection, it doesn't actually do much else then that. Have you tried to browse on the internet?

One thing you can check is double click on the NIC that's listed in My Network Places and then hit properties and go to the Support tab the IP address you see should be anything other then 192.xx.xx.xx or 169.xx.xx.xx.

If it's a number other then those you should have a valid IP address and be able to browse on the internet already (unless they have some stupid login software which I think most cable companies realize is dumb finally)
Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Do all 3 lights go on and either stay on or blink? On my cable modem there's 5 lights: cable, pc, data, test, and power. Cable, PC and Power stay lit while data blinks
Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If it's anything like the software we use all it does is verify you have a connection, it doesn't actually do much else then that. Have you tried to browse on the internet?

One thing you can check is double click on the NIC that's listed in My Network Places and then hit properties and go to the Support tab the IP address you see should be anything other then 192.xx.xx.xx or 169.xx.xx.xx.

If it's a number other then those you should have a valid IP address and be able to browse on the internet already (unless they have some stupid login software which I think most cable companies realize is dumb finally)

You still use the software? They did away with it up here (I have RR).
Old 02-11-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think the problem is that the service isn't turned on. Cox wanted something like $130 to install it. I've had Optimum Online and then Comcast for years and have never had a problem before. Looking at the modem itself, the receive light is blinking slowly and the send and online lights are dark.

I'm guessing it's the fact that the service isn't live. They said they had to send someone out to do something outside of the house, of course they said it would be done within 3 business days and it's been four....
Old 02-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #14
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Do all 3 lights go on and either stay on or blink? On my cable modem there's 5 lights: cable, pc, data, test, and power. Cable, PC and Power stay lit while data blinks
Power is on
Receive is blinking slow
Send and online are dark
PCActivity is lit
standby is dark
Old 02-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

We just use software for the install (it's not needed). It's moreso for branding. It changes the IE to say Road Runner and stuff like that.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
Power is on
Receive is blinking slow
Send and online are dark
PCActivity is lit
standby is dark
Online is Dark? That's your problem the modem isn't active. So either the line you are connecting it to doesn't have signal, not enough signal, or the modem isn't activated in the system.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
We just use software for the install (it's not needed). It's moreso for branding. It changes the IE to say Road Runner and stuff like that.

Gotcha, that's what I hated about the software. I heart RR tho I've had like 0 problems and tech support is always on top of local outages when I call.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:00 PM   #18
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Thanks a lot for the help guys. It seems like the software would set up Outlook for the correct mail configuration, that's why I was going to run it.

Thanks again, hopefully that online light will turn green soon.